|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
Flashback (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (5)||, frederiklw , MattN7498 , aeonstoremyliver , LTmiller|
|Want (2)||Ariumlegion , samuelianstorm|
Mystic Retrieval Discussion
1 day ago
Mizzix's Mastery and Epic Experiment, I would take out the cluestone and keyrune for signets. Also I would cut back on the creatures you will have enough blockers and possible wincon with Metallurgic Summonings and Talrand, Sky Summoner. Melek is 6 mana you could use to play spells which in my opinion slows down the deck to much. And if you switched Archaeomancer with Mystic Retrieval you could cast for one blue and flashback for one red for the same effect. Past in Flames is and auto include. and if you are looking for another wincon Sphinx-Bone Wand. Not bad for a first attempt. Hope this helps.
2 weeks ago
I wrote a bit comment and it got eaten by TappedOut. So, apologies for the brevity on this rewrite. These are a few suggestions based on a similar deck of mine.
- Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure are both excellent storm payoffs. The former is one of the best hits from Epic Experiment and the latter can bounce every land as a pseudo Time Walk if you need to swing with tokens.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand and Docent of Perfection Flip are two additional options for win-cons if you so desire.
- Pull from the Deep and Mystic Retrieval are good options for re-casting your rituals/untap effects
- More free spells like Frantic Search or Rewind might be worth it. The latter can at worst counter your own spells with High Tide.
- I personally really like Eye of the Storm. It's expensive, it can backfire, but if you untap with it, it's almost impossible to lose. It goes effectively infinite with a lot of cards.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is almost definitely worth it.
- I think the 1-shot token producers are probably not that great. They're reasonably good with Purphoros, but I don't think that's worth 6 slots in the deck. Don't worry about creature count in Melek. A lot of Melek decks actually go creatureless for the Proteus Staff combo.
- Phyrexian Altar is probably really borderline unless you're running something like Fall of the Titans to just win without having to go an extra turn by saccing out all of your Empty the Warrens tokens.
- Strionic Resonator is at best a very situational fork in Melek. It's probably better to spend your mana on a cheap cantrip / draw spell like Gitaxian Probe or Treasure Cruise.
- Echo Mage is really expensive and vulnerable for its effect. You have to pump 7 mana and wait a turn to copy 1 spell. At that point, you're probably better off casting Eye of the Storm.
2 weeks ago
I forgot to mention, between low block potential and very high cmc, all 3 bolas cards are too slow and only really get one activation for soo much mana
But what ive noticed as i put money into the deck is it does best when played like storm, casting rocks and rituals and a pain spell and then chaining wheels for spike damage, the cumulative upkeep stuff is rather slow and really draws hate from opponents before you can kill them, and you are forcefeeding draw but you dont necessarily want them to use the cards you let them draw,
Price of Knowledge is ok, but in order to achieve the speed for storm, its really hard on the mama base, the only card above 6 cmc i run in mine is Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, and i never cast them they're only as a more useful Library of Leng
On top of being able to chain wheels after sticking a 1-4 cmc pain enchantment like Liliana's Caress Underworld Dreams or a discard/draw/combo engine 4-6 cmc like Dream Halls, Waste Not Rhystic Study, playing dimir colors means you have access to the best tutors for wheels and graveyard recursion, ive found that filling my graveyard by discarding wheels as a massive secondary hand and then either resetting the mill with the eldrazi titan while milling opponents out often removes the need for Library of Leng, but its a good card to learn the deck in the sense it teaches you what you want to keep or discard during wheels, plus if you have 50 cards in graveyard casting a Yawgmoth's Will or Mizzix's Mastery usually wins me the game with either 300-500 burst damage or decking opponents
Theres plenty of budget ways to recast wheels and other important spells from the graveyard you usually can fill up relatively fast
Non budget versions would be
Tutors really help you with getting the enchantments, protection or wheels you need to gain the lead, ill start with budget
Better but more expensive options
2 weeks ago
Hey NV_1980, thanks for the advice. Tamiyo, the Moon Sage is definitely a great include in to the deck. It may be quite a bit out of my budget though but I reckon that I'm interested enough in this deck to splurge a bit. I'm not hot on Mnemonic Wall and Ulamog's Reclaimer purely because they are creatures and my deck doesn't run much ramp to help get out creatures (unfortunately). As for Mystic Retrieval, I can't play it because its colour identity is blue red because of its flashback cost.
That said, I really appreciate the suggestions! Thanks again.
2 weeks ago
I think you've nailed it with this deck! I see some really nice combo's in this deck and I think it's well balanced. You've got ramp, you've got draw, enough creatures to hold aggressive players at bay and great spells to cause some serious havoc.
As for recommendations; I love what you do with returning instants and sorceries from your graveyard to your hand. Why not also add Mnemonic Wall, Ulamog's Reclaimer, Mystic Retrieval or even Tamiyo, the Moon Sage? And in case you'd add the Wall and the Reclaimer, I'd probably also add Conjurer's Closet so that you can keep retrieving your spells by blinking these creatures.
Have fun gaming!
P.S.: If you have time, please look over one of my decks and tell me what you think. Thanks!
1 month ago
I like Kess a lot. Been thinking about building one myself. Got some ideas looking at yours. If you liked Deranged assistant, you'll like Millikin. Mental Note, Strategic Planning, Thought Scour, Forbidden Alchemy seem like more synergistic cards than some of the other cantrips and self mill...especially Traumatize which doesn't even draw a card. Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir and Pendrell Mists are probably good vs those commanders you mentioned playing against a lot. If you can handle it Arcane Laboratory will really slow down things for everyone and basically shuts down Rashmi. Carpet of Flowers and Hibernation seems petty good vs them too lol. Metallurgic Summonings is like an auto include in any spellslinger build. Mystic Retrieval is an upgrade on call to mind. Rite of Replication is a great card for decks like this. Mind's Dilation, Melek, Izzet Paragon & Future Sight can help you keep up with your opponents getting free stuff all the time.
1 month ago
Thanks for taking a look!
I kinda like the Mystic Speculation, do you have any ideas for a cut?
I'm not sure what spell I'd be copying that'd be worth running Increasing Vengeance for. The double red might be hard some percent of the time as well. My deck is mostly mono-blue. It can be hard drawing cards with Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius sometimes.
1 month ago
Hey there, I'm not great with budget lists but I have a few cards to consider:
Mystic Speculation - always love drawing this card, so much value.
Increasing Vengeance - best spell doubler on a budget imo.
That's about all I can think of atm, hopefully it helps.