|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
Flashback (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
|Have (2)||rockleemyhero ,|
|Want (8)||Tomagotchi , Minor , Kagu11 , emobob , Neisan29 , Aragon_Neotrix , gariox , Zyrook|
Mystic Retrieval Discussion
1 week ago
I'd maybe cut Call to Mind for Mystic Retrieval , Invoke the Firemind for Expansion / Explosion , and Doublecast for Increasing Vengeance . You might also want to try to fit Boseiju, Who Shelters All into the manabase, just so that your big X spells resolve a little more often.
2 months ago
Let me start by saying I've been playing Mizzix since he was released, and I've constantly strived to make my [[Primer]] Knowledge & Flame deck the best it can be. I'd like to believe with a 96% competitive rating, and the fact that I RARELY lose with the deck means it's a solid deck. As such it has seen several iterations and I've tried playing all kinds of cards... So here's a bit of advice.
I only have 17 cards that aren't spells that Mizzix can discount, 6 of which is Ramp. I only have two creatures, Niv-Mizzet, Parun (I'm testing him for extra draw power and secondary win con) and Laboratory Maniac as one of my main win cons. Of the 9 cards remaining 2 cards help me with consistent draw power, 2 are to protect Mizzix, 2 win me the game, and the rest are just there. Now I'm telling you all this because even with me having so little cards that aren't reduced by Mizzix I STILL end up with them sitting in my hand for ages for fear of tapping out and not having a counterspell up. So there are a lot of cards you have in this deck that do not directly add to your winning... And some cards that just don't play well with a deck that wants to either combo out or burn everyone into the ground.
Here are some suggested cuts:
- Invert // Invent: Invert does nothing really, and Invent is WAY too expensive for what it does.
- Seething Song: Just trade it out for Desperate Ritual so that you can tutor Reiterate and Desperate Ritual with Firemind's
- Keranos, God Of Storms: Great card, but honestly it's just a win more card, this won't win you the game.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon: I played with this for awhile but at the end of the day it's the same as Keranos
- Blatant Thievery: It's a great card, but it always felt lackluster for me because it requires your opponents to have a good board state, which obviously you don't want. I'd suggest Aethersnatch in it's place because then your opponent just plays a spell for you.
- Ignite Memories/Mind's Desire: Storm cards are good but they don't get you the game. In fact I have whiffed both of those spells more times than I can count! I'd say go for something a bit more certain.
- Mizzium Mortars: I just think that this doesn't kill a LOT of creatures in this format Blasphemous Act is strictly better.
- Stolen Goods: It's too easy for this to be a bad card. what if it's a Rampant Growth or vanilla 2/2 or a lord that doesn't do squat for you. Just too RNG
- Temporal Fissure: Too expensive and again it's too easy to whiff the storm aspect
- Sentinel Tower: It just makes you a target, unless you are committing to storm.
- Future Sight: As a blue player you always want people to assume you have a counterspell, or don't want others to know you have a counterspell... This crushes that. If you REALLY need this effect, which I think isn't worthwhile, Precognition Field is better.
- Sunbird's Invocation: WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, and it's strictly just a win more card.
I know I stated a lot of cards are too expensive and you are playing mizzix but assume mizzix isn't on the table because he will be killed or a target 90% of the time.
Here are some cards I'd highly suggest playing:
- The Usuals: I know it's expensive but... Mana Drain , Force of Will , and Pact of Negation I feel are absolutely necessary for this deck.
- Lightning Bolt : I know someone told you to take this out... but... Firemind's plus 4 experience counters means you win the game. You dig for infinite mana with Reiterat+Reality Spasm/Desperate Ritual and grab lightning bolt to copy infinite times with infinite mana casting reiterate on it infinitely. It's a one card combo basically.
- Mission Briefing
- Power Sink : At worst its a counterspell at best it forces someone to pass turn.
- Disallow : One of the best counters in the game.
- Fuel for the Cause
- Increasing Vengeance
- Nexus of Fate
- Scour from Existence
- Coldsteel Heart
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Darksteel Plate
- Fanning the Flames
- Mana Geyser
- Time Stretch
- Mystic Retrieval
- Mystic Speculation
Sorry I know I posted a lot but I'm really passionate about this deck, and I love to see mizzix players succeed.
3 months ago
I like Chandra's Ignition , good call. Punch is definitely a win con. I threw in Mystic Retrieval just so i could recall it a couple times, but good to have more options. 100 cards is a lot to get through when just looking for 1.
I am not sure if I have one in my collection, will have to check tonight.
Thanks for the view.
3 months ago
3 months ago
I really like some of your ideas to produce mana and will be incorporating them into my version. It's Mizzix in the Mix if you would like to look and see if my ideas work for you.
I went more "all in" on the experience counters and have found that colored mana is at a premium. Therefore, I changed my counter spells from things like Counterflux, Dissipate, or Spell Crumple to things like Condescend, Power Sink, or Syncopate. That way I only need one blue open and I always get an experience counter. Mindswipe gives added burn value, and I like Spell Burst over Forbid as the game lock.
I also tried to replace creatures with spells where possible, so Archaeomancer turned into Mystic Retrieval and Recall, and Lunar Mystic turned into Whispers of the Muse. I also found that effects like Guttersnipe and Electrostatic Field didn't work as well for me as just having another burn spell. This may just personal style though.
Blasphemous Act takes out Mizzix with everything else. You could try Bonfire of the Damned, Sudden Demise, or even Rolling Thunder for some board control. Fanning the Flames looks even better in your list than mine I think.
You are right about there being a problem if Mizzix gets too expensive. I added Inexorable Tide to keep the experience counters coming even with Mizzix in the Command Zone. That allows you to just set up for one big turn where you recast him and win.
3 months ago
Sorry! I have been off since the 22nd until today, so here is a Christmas Present!
I think I actually showed you these drops:
Tide of War, Scrambleverse, Warp World, Risky Move, Grip of Chaos, Savage Beating, Chandra's Ignition, Mystic Retrieval, Wild Ricochet, Fury Storm, Wild Wurm, Molten Sentry, Ral Zarek, Helm of the Host, Bottle of Suleiman, Crooked Scales, Sorcerer's Strongbox, Fatespinner, Search for Azcanta Flip, Twincast, Reverberate, Reshape, Counterflux, Squee's Revenge, Chaos Wand, Goblin Lyre, Fling, Chaotic Strike, Aleatory, Winter Sky, Fighting Chance.
4 months ago
Also, what are your thought on Bonus Round?
Appreciate the help here. I’ve been playing this list with a few adjustments and I’m actually enjoying it. There’s one time wherein an opponent flashed Notion Thief before my turn (Niv already in play) and I just said, sure! In my draw phase though, ping that thief outta here. Haha.
4 months ago
Hey if you are playing casually, it doesn't really matter.
Drops for casual fun:
Tide of War, Scrambleverse, Warp World, Risky Move, Grip of Chaos, Savage Beating, Chandra's Ignition, Mystic Retrieval, Wild Ricochet, Fury Storm, Wild Wurm, Molten Sentry, Ral Zarek, Helm of the Host, Bottle of Suleiman, Crooked Scales, Sorcerer's Strongbox, Fatespinner, Search for Azcanta Flip, Twincast, Reverberate, Reshape, Counterflux, Squee's Revenge, Chaos Wand, Goblin Lyre, Fling, Chaotic Strike, Aleatory, Winter Sky, Fighting Chance, Mana Clash.
Mystic Retrieval occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
U/R (Izzet): 0.83%