Colossus of Akros
Artifact Creature — Golem
10: Monstrosity 10. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put ten +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
As long as Colossus of Akros is monstrous, it has trample and can attack as though it didn't have defender.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price||Cardhoarder (O) Price|
|$0.4||$1.0||$1.99||$1.75||0.01 TIX||0.04 TIX|
|Have (31)||saj0219 , jwe94 , the.beanpole , failurechild88 , agGravity , gildan_bladeborn , nighthawk101 , StrugglePeter , Kravian , TheRedMage , Virlym , Master161295 , GoldGhost012 , Xathrid845 , alex922 , Riders_of_Brohan , deatn1342 , Iwasforger03 , KiBMagic , sonnet666 , vaxizoq , kylespearsisdead , pkworster , BBBr0ny , dragonbladeice , CampbellStev , Pedodactyl , Surferdunks , AlbinoLion , Valentine35 , guessling|
Colossus of Akros Discussion
1 week ago
Sands of Delirium: If you really want to mill.
Colossus of Akros: Does things.
Icy Manipulator: DOESN'T do things.
Defense Grid: Cool.
1 week ago
Faith's Shield seems every bit as good as Apostle's Blessing, if not better, IMO. And while, no, it won't protect you from Artifacts, it will protect Enchantments, Lands, Planeswalkers and for a lower CMC and it has the Fateful Hour potency that could be a game changer.
1 week ago
The only thing I can think of right now is, "there are some pretty fat-assed Eldrazi in BFZ..."
There are also other general big fatties like Colossus of Akros that you can throw in here too, if you don't have any Eldrazi worth putting in yet. And to be fair, I haven't even looked at the full spoiler list even after playing in 2 prereleases last weekend, so I don't really know what else there is besides the few that I pulled. :P
I feel some of the relatively low-impact creatures that can go include: Citanul Woodreaders, Nyx-Fleece Ram, and Trostani, Selesnya's Voice. Particularly Trostani, since you don't seem to have a whole lot of token generation, and the ones generated are mostly 1/1.
1 week ago
Sadly, Chandra in general tends to be crappy in EDH. Pyromaster is the only one I'd consider playable at all. In particular, Fire of Kaladesh basically does nothing; I don't know if I'd even bother attacking one in an EDH game, I'd be inclined to just let someone ult her because 3 life a turn is a nuisance at best. If you want a planeswalker to draw heat from Daretti I think Pyromaster or Koth of the Hammer are probably better options. I do want to clarify I'm not saying any of this to be mean, I am just trying to clarify why I believe the card is not suitable for the deck.
But neither is as funny as blocking stuff with Pentavites and then sticking them back on Pentavus before damage. That's actually a very helpful way to protect Daretti. So is Crawlspace. I'd recommend Silent Arbiter but it really pisses people off.
Some other things I'd recommend highly:
- Unwinding Clock and Clock of Omens, because untapping your stuff all the time is awesome. Especially if you're untapping Tower of Fortunes and especially if you're doing that with the card that made every Daretti player excited about Magic Origins: Alhammarret's Archive! Drawing four off Daretti's +2 is amazingly good. Drawing eight cards at the end of everyone's turn is just gravy.
- Nevinyrral's Disk is a straight-up boardwipe. It hits enchantments, which is great. Normally, in mono-red your answer to troublesome enchantments is to make a sad puppy face and plead with other players to destroy them. Having an alternative to that is nice. I'm actually considering Scour from Existence for this reason. It's also why Unstable Obelisk is a really good card in mono-red, mono-black and Rakdos decks.
- Orbs of Warding or Witchbane Orb shut off targeted yard hate like Tormod's Crypt, which is also worth considering!
- Ring of Three Wishes is a great tutor in a color starved for them. Normally it's more fair because you can use it three times. Daretti can just get it back and use it some more.
- Colossus of Akros is a huge dude to cheat out. Doesn't even cost much money. Getting him out on turn three or four is fun and will make people leave Daretti alone for a while.
- This thing won't let me make more suggestions through the comment. Crap! You'd have to add them to your maybeboard manually.
- Thran Dynamo and Worn Powerstone are excellent mana rocks.
- All Is Dust is a fantastic boardwipe that dropped in cost with its MM2 reprint.
- Insurrection has probably won more EDH games than any other mono-red card. You don't even have to swing if you don't want to, you can just sac all their dudes to Ashnod's Altar and grin as you abuse all the mana.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster is a must, allowing you to grab something from your deck and put it directly onto the field while blue players sigh and wish they had Stifle in hand.
- Vedalken Orrery. Flash is good. Like... really good.
- Tomb of the Spirit Dragon: for those pesky aggro or burn decks.
- Red Sun's Zenith: burn spells that exile are nice, especially when they keep showing up.
- Soul of New Phyrexia: "I'm going to destroy your-" "No." "Ok, what about your-" "No."
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient: Copying artifact abilities is great!
Anyway, since you asked here are some of the combos I run:
- Make my stuff indestructible with Darksteel Forge, then "destroy" it with Hoard-Smelter Dragon so it hits hard. You can actually just target the Forge itself since it has a high CMC. Probably the closest thing I have to a "fair" win condition.
- Metalworker and Staff of Domination with three or more artifacts in hand means I get infinite mana, infinite life, infinite tap/untap for creatures and infinite draw. Since I have infinite colorless mana I can draw Comet Storm and burn everyone to death for .
- Infinite mana can also be achieved with Reiterate and Mana Geyser. But my preferred method is Basalt Monolith and Rings of Brighthearth. You need only to more colorless to set this off: tap the Monolith for mana, then copy the untap trigger with the Rings. You'll end up with a surplus of untap triggers that let you keep tapping the Monolith an infinite number of times.
- With Mimic Vat, Dross Scorpion and either Ashnod's Altar or Krark-Clan Ironworks on-board I can play Myr Battlesphere. This gives me four myr tokens. I sac the Battlesphere and a token and imprint Battlesphere onto the Mimic Vat. Then I can make a token of Battlesphere, get four more myr tokens and sac those, getting and a Dross Scorpion trigger to let me untap the Vat and do this again as many times as I like. I end up with an arbitrarily large number of hasty Battlespheres (and uncountably large amounts of mana) and even more myr tokens. The Battlespheres swing, I use their ability... my opponents all die.
- If I have infinite mana and Krark-Clan Ironworks I can play Spine of Ish Sah, sac it, and play it again until my opponents have no permanents. With Vedalken Orrery I can do this at instant speed to get a hard lock on the game.
- Mycosynth Lattice means that Vandalblast destroys everyone else's permanents. With Hellkite Tyrant you can take every single one of someone's permanents and probably win your next upkeep unless it dies. The latter option is probably less likely to make people defenestrate you since at least it's quick. Some people might even find it funny.
- Another rather mean thing you can do with the Lattice is to have Darksteel Forge, Unwinding Clock and Nevinyrral's Disk. Every turn the disk will untap and you can immediately use it to destroy everyone else's stuff. This is also a lock and is quite hard to break once it starts. With Clock of Omens you can do it all in one turn... which I've done in response to what would have been a lethal Bruna, Light of Alabaster swing before.
- If you have Daretti's emblem, Mycosynth Lattice and Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle you can go for a late-game win by saccing all your mountains to Krark-Clan Ironworks each turn and letting Valakut burn people to a crisp when they come back in. Fairly easy to get lots of mountains by popping Burnished Hart each turn.
- Daretti's emblem with Unwinding Clock and some mana rocks lets you get a Mindslaver lock. It's not nice, but it will generally win the game for you.
You'll notice some things appear multiple times. It's my belief that a combo piece should be useful outside of the combo (which is why I don't run Blasting Station) and ideally should be part of multiple combos so you have redundancy. Many of these things will be useful even if you don't combo with them.
Sorry for the long post, please ask if you'd like any clarifications and let me know if some of this appeals to you so we can work on what to cut to make room.
2 weeks ago
Swiftfoot Boots are an EDH staple for a reason. If something you play isn't likely to survive a turn without them, you will wish you had them.
I fully agree with your other ideas. I'm actually not sold on the goggles being in a mostly colorless deck at all, though. I'd rather have Reiterate, which has greater utility and goes infinite with Mana Geyser.
If you want to protect Daretti long enough to get his emblem you will have to run control or else build up combos with proliferate artifacts like Contagion Engine... and in the latter case you're better off just comboing to win the whole thing. He draws a ton of hate, and even when people aren't trying to kill him, they will occasionally poke Daretti to keep him off that ultimate. Unfortunately mono-red control tends to lose friends.
I would consider using Daretti to set up combos rather than attempting to consistently ult him. I have found that a much more reliable strategy.
Also, definitely put Faithless Looting in here, it's a very good card. Take out Trepanation Blade. Your deck wants to be milled, not do the milling! I'd also take out Dormant Volcano, because the only good thing about the card is the lovely art. Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip isn't very helpful in here either, her effect is much to small. If you want a planeswalker, run Chandra, Pyromaster instead. But I'd take a Krark-Clan Ironworks over either of those; sac outlets are awesome, especially when they make mana.
Are infinite combos something you're interested in? I can suggest a few.
2 weeks ago
ok i see you have Mimic Vat and Whip of Erebos. you mentioned that your going for a deck build similar to my #StopHittingYourself deck. so what you need to do is find reusable sources of stealing creatures. that's why i mentioned Mimic Vat and Whip of Erebos. if you place a few creatures that steal creatures on "enter the battlefield" trigger like Zealous Conscripts then the Mimic Vat and the Whip of Erebos become the best source or "steal a creature". Deadeye Navigator paired up with these creatures is great as well. cards i don't like: Part the Waterveil if you want to take extra turns there are cheaper and better spells then this like Time Stretch also for its awaken cost the awaken stuff is only really worth it if your putting it on a man land like Creeping Tar Pit but you have no man lands. Twilight's Call i just would rather not give other peoples creatures back unless you cast this for its instant cost then on your turn cast something like In Garruk's Wake or Cyclonic Rift still it's requiring a two card combo when you could just cast Rise of the Dark Realms. withe the same problem as before Scatter to the Winds is just not that good unless it's going on a man land so you can use it more than once and the creature will be bigger. Underworld Cerberus kinda defeats what this deck wants to do with the whip, vat, and the Dimir Doppelganger and such. Walker of Secret Ways its just not strong enough. i'd switch it out for mana ramp like a Sol Ring... your a lil low on creatures, idk how that's working out for you but id run no fewer than 26 creatures. creatures id add are creatures that when they hit the board someone better deal with it or someone's gonna die like Consuming Aberration, Malignus, Blightsteel Colossus, Colossus of Akros ext ext you get the idea. you also want to try to stay away from legendary creatures for the copy creatures. one of the problems with my deck i have is not having a good target for my copy spells except my legendaries and i have a lot of legendaries.
3 weeks ago
Colossus of Akros is another win condition that is easy to get out from hand or a Genesis Wave. He provides something the other defenders do not have that being trample and can attack even if Assault Formation is not on the field. Even if you can't use monstrous on him right away he is an extremely good defender since he is hard to remove and can kill most of what he blocks.
|Power / Toughness||10/10|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Colossus of Akros + Corpsejack Menace
- Boros Charm + Colossus of Akros
- Bearer of the Heavens + Colossus of Akros
- Colossus of Akros + Kiora's Follower
- Colossus of Akros + Wall of Reverence
- Colossus of Akros + Kalonian Hydra
- Colossus of Akros + Dragon Throne of Tarkir
- Burning Anger + Colossus of Akros + Unwinding Clock
- Burning Anger + Colossus of Akros
- Colossus of Akros + Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord