|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Exile target nonland permanent. You lose 3 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (51)||ibraJG84 , Justinaut , RPG_FOX , clayperce , Va1mar , Psycheretic , Dredgar , Doom_of_Valyria , gildan_bladeborn , angesoir , Skydra2 , killstars , Mousemke , Nightdragon779 , 7vennum7 , AlucardZain , VoidCaster113 , DudeMan1031 , dizzierabit , jparker-sartori21 , malachislick , pskinn01 , philktoken8998 , Spinalripper , mziter501 , tlhunter07 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , jhunter , Sparky41 , HydraOoze , , TheRealPeaches , Hootiequack , RedSinR , unnaturalelementals , TrackerD , prete182 , Borg0th , Sergal , Dawnsly , Dr_Doomtrain , TehDelta , kaikaitanner , Snydog17 , joshw335 , frederiklw , Venser_the_Sojoner , thetechzombie , ecurps , Vasbear1 , MagnaAura|
|Want (10)||Va1mar , gamerhat , SketchyScribbler , DarkMagician , ryuzaki32667 , DimSpirit , davir , brennie , brokendwarf , Clawsun73|
Anguished Unmaking Discussion
1 day ago
These would be on my shortlist to replace: Crimson Honor Guard, Kheru Mind-Eater, Licia, Sanguine Tribune, Mathas, Fiend Seeker, Skeletal Vampire, Tithe Drinker, Vein Drinker, Skeletal Scrying, Kabira Crossroads, Curse of Disturbance, Curse of Vitality, Outpost Siege, Sanguine Bond, Consuming Vapors, Damnable Pact, Well of Lost Dreams
These are the first things I'd try to find a place for: Legion Lieutenant, Forerunner of the Legion, Champion of Dusk, Indulgent Aristocrat, Sanctum Seeker, Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle, Bishop of Rebirth, Mirror Entity,Utter End, Anguished Unmaking, Vanquisher's Banner, Stensia Masquerade, Cathars' Crusade
If you're willing to spend the money these seem worth it to me: Shared Animosity, Anointed Procession, Phyrexian Arena, Twilight Prophet, Elenda, the Dusk Rose, Bloodline Keeper Flip, Drana, Liberator of Malakir
You can also go to edhrec.com and look up your commander to find a list of suggestions for the deck.
In general, it's a good idea to replace a card with one that does something similar. Like replace something that draws cards with something else that draws cards, or something that removes you opponents' stuff with something else that does that. The deck is already well balanced so you mostly just need to put in some upgrades and take out the cards that aren't focused. Also try to be careful not to replace too many cards with other cards that cost more mana.
You can spend almost as much money upgrading a mana base as you like. In particular, you want to replace lands that come into play tapped with ones that don't. These are some lands you could get that are relatively cheap: Unclaimed Territory, Caves of Koilos, Battlefield Forge, Smoldering Marsh, Graven Cairns, and Foreboding Ruins
Vault of the Archangel doesn't get you colored mana but it offers some great utility.
1 day ago
Thanks for the feedback bud, I'm going to respond to some of the cards individually to give a more clear explanation for why I put them in there, and then we can maybe chat more about alternatives to some of the suggested cards. I'm planning on removing the Testing cards because I think it is a misnomer. Those are cards that weren't in a lot of other Sigarda decks, not particularly cards that I wanted the most feedback on. But that's my fault for not clarifying.
- Beastmaster Ascension, Cathars' Crusade, Door of Destinies, and True Conviction are what I would consider the primary win condition cards of the deck. They do generate a lot of heat, but that's why there are four of them. Hopefully during a game I would expect to see two of them. To be honest, I much prefer counters over static effects for two reasons: they stick around when the buff is removed, and static effects turn off things like Mentor of the Meek.
- Bow of Nylea is primarily in the deck because people don't like blocking deathtouch creatures. The activated abilities are insignificant in my opinion. If i have extra mana before my next untap phase I will add a +1/+1 counter to Sigarda, or tuck four cards back in my library if Angel of Glory's Rise is dead. I could definitely see the argument for cutting this card, and you mention better stuff, but do you have any recommendations for a mass combat enabler?
- Descendants' Path and Duskwatch Recruiter Flip are a way of seeing more of my deck. Selensya doesn't have a lot of multiple draw cards, and the ones that do are typically creature specific. The only card I would be genuinely sad to tuck is Angel of Glory's Rise, and both of these cards would either cast her, or put her into my hand. Also keep in mind I have 9 cards that make me shuffle my deck, or tucking things to the bottom of my library doesn't mean I won't see them. Also I don't want Duskwatch Recruiter Flip to flip, his activated ability is significantly more impactful than the generic ramp, in my opinion.
- The main difference between Grand Abolisher and Dosan the Falling Leaf is that Grand Abolisher stops people from doing things on my turn, Dosan the Falling Leaf forces people to play instants at sorcery speed, and doesn't stop activated abilities. I think Dosan either fizzles to things that I want to stop (Karlov of the Ghost Council, Spore Frog, and sacrifice effects), and only really messes with spellslinger type decks.
- I like Eerie Interlude when someone has Nevinyrral's Disk type effects out, but until you know someone has a board wipe, or you're going to combo it with your own board wipe, you're basically holding up three mana all the time. I would love suggestions on a permanent that will do this instead.
- I understand Magus of the Disk and Shaman of Forgotten Ways are removal targets, and that they have to survive a full rotation, but keep in mind that besides a board wipe, they both require two removal interactions because Sigarda, Heron's Grace will be out anytime they are. Magus of the Disk is in here to combo with Odric, Lunarch Marshal, though I admit that combo is a little jank. Shaman of Forgotten Ways is in there to shut down some of the lifegain elements or many of the decks I've seen, and because with the exception of a token deck, I expect to have the most number of creatures out. If you were to cut these two cards, what would you replace with them?
- Oblivion Ring is okay. I intentionally picked him over Fiend Hunter or Banisher Priest because enchantments have the least amount of removal, compared to the other nonland permanent types. If I was in Orzhov I would cut this for Anguished Unmaking or some similar effect.
- Thalia's Lancers: Don't forget Bow of Nylea and Tamiyo's Journal are also tutorable. Though most of the time I would be tutoring for one of the Odrics, or Kamahl, Fist of Krosa late game for the win.
- Werebear to me is the perfect mana dork. If I see him early, he provides me with a lot of ramp. If I see him late, he's a 5/5 human for CMC 2. There are a lot of Human mana dorks, but none of them save Shaman of Forgotten Ways does anything else of use.
Sorry that was longer than expected. About your recommendations:
- Bruna, the Fading Light and Gisela, the Broken Blade: To see for Brisela, Voice of Nightmares, you'd have to draw both of those, or one and Thalia's Lancers. The chance of seeing that happen in a game is somewhere in the ballpark of 10% after seeing 20 cards, so not great. I'm not really sure they have enough value on their own to justify that, I'd rather invest two slots in things that help my already big creatures get damage through.
- Sun Titan: Does not fit the tribal restrictions. Also, I don't really want a recursion sub-theme. There are cards to do it, but in my opinion, if you're going to do recursion, you want an engine of sorts, and that is getting too close to Marchesa. Plus recurring creatures doesn't really have a win condition unless it is an engine. They are valuable sure, but that's why Angel of Glory's Rise is the only recursion card in here.
- Oketra's Monument: I've never been a super fan of reducing generic mana costs, but only three of the white creatures won't benefit from this. I really wish the tokens were Humans, but to be honest this is a definitely maybe to include. I'm not sure what I would swap this with though, any opinions?
- Hero of Bladehold: Same slight problem with Oketra's Monument, but from my research, I can't find many good Human token generators. I might swap this with Angelic Overseer.
- Marshal's Anthem: Its CMC 4 to cast, and CMC 2*X to bring back. Unless I have Mirari's Wake out, I'm probably only bringing back 1 or 2 creatures, and the +1/+1 isn't really significant enough in my opinion. I'd rather try and fit in Collective Blessing somewhere.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc
Flip: I think this card is really cool, and I think that I wouldn't cast this unless it was going to flip the same turn. Having Gaea's Cradle for CMC 3 can be really powerful, but I don't really know what ramp I would cut. Maybe Karametra, God of Harvests? The only problem I'm seeing with this is that it is mana not , and the overwhelming majority of stuff I want to do is in white.
I would love more draw, but there isn't a lot of good draw sources in Selesnya that I can find. Have you found any that you would recommend? The main reason I have a low CMC is because all of the things I have to draw with cost mana, Like investigating, Mentor of the Meek, Duskwatch Recruiter Flip, etc. So the hope is to be able to funnel the extra mana into those draw sources. I have not really addressed the lands as of yet, but if from playtesting Reliquary Tower is needed, I'll slot it in, but I think Thought Vessel is a waste unless you are drawing an exponential amount of cast from things like Rhystic Study.
I have some cards that I'm interested in getting your opinion on, and some potential swaps that I'd also like you opinion on. I'll redo the Testing category and the maybeboard, then ask you to reconvene later if that's okay?
1 day ago
Also, there are no instants in your deck... interaction and answers are needed. Look into Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Anguished Unmaking, Boros Charm, Teferi's Protection, and Enlightened Tutor. For these I'd cut a few creatures and Throne of the God-Pharoah.
1 day ago
Hi this is Derek.
Okay here's the obvious weak links:Deadeye Harpooner: Fine card, probably would be better as something like Fiend Hunter, though (there's a combo with Ayli).Disciple of the Vault: I think your artifact theme is a lil light.Encampment Keeper: If you want an anthem, you are probably better off with a legit lord or non-creature anthem effect. If you want to go the lord route, you'd probably need to go more tribal. Also there's definitely other 1 CMC monstros that would give you some boost.Master Trinketer: Probably a bit too slow. Fine card, though.Solemn Recruit: Little off the main goals of the deck. Good card, though - maybe also consider Mirran Crusader if you want this kind of lad?Battle at the Bridge: Definitely would need stronger artifact theme for this to be actively good. It's fine, it's just not actively good. One potential option is Profane Command?Chaplain's Blessing: This sort of lifegain tends to be bad. Maybe consider a triggered source? Depending on budget, Sword of War and Peace seems good. Sylvok Lifestaff too. Even Inspiring Cleric from Innistrad (which also gives you a body for Ayli).Shadows of the Past: Seems okay but maybe something a little cheaper for a powerful effect? Spirit Bonds might be sick here.Decomission: I think there's probably better alternatives for artifact/enchantment destruction.
Obvious omissions:Lingering Souls is INSANE.If you want to go the token route, you may want to consider anthems (Spear of Heliod, Glorious Anthem, Mirror Entity, Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit), as well as other powerful token makers (Secure the Wastes, Sword of Body and Mind, Brimaz, King of Oreskos, Monastery Mentor).For removal, consider sweepers (Slaughter the Strong, Forced March, Black Sun's Zenith, Retribution of the Meek) as well as the really strong point removal (Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares) and the really cheap removal that's considerably worse (Vendetta, Smother, Ulcerate) and the more flexible removal that can hit everything (Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking).
Mother of Runes is sick.Sacrifice outlets have a few obvious combos in Fiend Hunter, Mesmeric Fiend and Tidehollow Sculler.Orzhov Signet is good.Card draw is good. There's not a lot of good card draw in BW. I would suggest Skeletal Scrying or maybe Damnable Pact.Finally, gots to have some way to interact with graveyards (people DEFINITELY use them in the format). Bojuka Bog is the standard. People often rock Tormod's Crypt and Relic of Progenitus too.For mana base, maybe Orzhov Guildgate, Scoured Barrens and Forsaken Sanctuary as well as Caves of Koilos and Orzhov Basilica (a sick combo with Bojuka Bog). More expensive options are Godless Shrine, Isolated Chapel and Shambling Vent.
2 days ago
I take it this is a take on an Aristocrats deck. If so, you've really got some things to change. Why do you have Odric, Lunarch Marshal, the two paragons, and Nantuko Husk? Instead of these, you could include more Xathrid Necromancer, Ghoulcaller Gisa, and Butcher of Malakir. You could also include cards like Ashnod's Altar, Anointed Procession, and Secure the Wastes. Cut Captain of the Watch, it's not helpful. Chainer's Edict or Fleshbag Marauder could be useful, as is Anowon, the Ruin Sage. Include 4 Butcher of Malakir and more Xathrid Necromancer. More token makers could also be useful. Gravepurge was a good choice. In your sideboard, you're only allowed to have 15 cards, and the monuments/Oketra are useless, and Champion of Stray Souls is bad. You also should improve your manabase with cards like Concealed Courtyard and Forsaken Sanctuary. If you have money for them, you could get Godless Shrine, Marsh Flats or Fetid Heath. Instead of Tragic Slip, just run something like Anguished Unmaking, Fatal Push, or Doom Blade. Also, you need a boardwipe like End Hostilities, Wrath of God, or Settle the Wreckage(best option). For token makers, use Legion's Landing Flip. Another good sac outlet is Arguel's Blood Fast Flip, if you can flip it. Your sideboard needs a little bit of hate for graveyard shenanigans, so a couple copies of Rest in Peace are in order, as well as more recursion like Ravos, Soultender.
6 days ago
first of all i really like the deck and the monstrosities it produces. i personally play EDH casually with a group of friends and therefore is everything i know based on my experiences there. my very first deck i ever built was Varolz, the Scar-Striped and it did similar things with all sorts of hydra's and counter doublers. this deck never won. the reason was that i needed several turns to get out a big dude, only to have it struck by Anguished Unmaking. for these kinds of decks you need explosive turns where once you're set up, you can keep going each turn untill your opponents are trampled over. the first thing that came to my mind was Everflowing Chalice or Gyre Sage. combined with Sword of the Paruns a gyre sage that taps for 4 green mana becomes an infinite mana source. Mistcutter Hydra could now be a hasty 10000/10000 coming at your unsuspecting opponents. Gemstone Array is really usefull when you are producing immense amounts of mana, for you can use it as a converter to make UG for vorel.
now we are creating big mana (remember, there are so many ways of doing this, i just happen to like these ones) its time to look at the creatures that benefit from this and the creatures that are too slow.
i'm just mentioning things that i think need to be replaced, if a card is not mentioned, it can stay imo.
Master Biomancer: currently you have no effective ways of adding power to your creatures that do not generate +1/+1 counters by themself. therefore you should either remove Master Biomancer or add cards like Death's Presence.
Lorescale Coatl, since your carddraw is limited this card is too slow.
Oran-Rief Hydra i smell something of a mini landfall subtheme in the deck as it is, however this isnt what you currently are trying to do so that makes this card way too slow.
Sphinx of the Final Word: are your instants and sorceries the things you win your games with? i think the answer would be: no, my creatures are going to win the game for me. therefore i would replace this card with Archetype of Endurance if protecting is what you want to do.
Zameck Guildmage: probably too slow.
lastly, 37 lands is fine, but the amount of ramp is not. Nature's Lore and Chromatic Lantern are the only cards that make sure you have your lands. you have green, so add cards like Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Rampant Growth, Explosive Vegetation. also a Simic Signet is nice to have.
this deck can go anywhere and i had lots of fun trying to figure out a path to playing fun games, i realise that i have been rambling on and on so i would really appreciate your opinion on the matter.
1 week ago
If you're having trouble protecting Licia, why not try adding some indestructible-giving abilities like Indestructibility, Shielded by Faith, or Bastion Protector? That'll protect Licia from a majority of removal spells
Bloodsworn Steward is good with Licia
I'd personally add a touch more draw. Look into the Ambition's Cost and Ancient Craving, as well as the less mana-friendly Promise of Power. Also, more removal wouldn't hurt. Check out Utter End, Anguished Unmaking, and the selective boardwipe Merciless Eviction
If you want tokens and a board presence, Crested Sunmare is your new best friend. Also, and though it may be a bit out of your budget, you might want to look into some of the Ajani and Sorin planeswalkers. They'll create tokens, and for the most part have lifegain themes. Elspeths also have token themes, though not really lifegain synergies, if you just want a bigger board state
IDK how competitive janky you want this deck to be, but if you want a fun, uberjanky, and cheap way to end games, look into Boros Reckoner and Spitemare, something that gives lifelink like Nearheath Pilgrim, and double damagers like Dictate of the Twin Gods or Furnace of Rath. Using indestructible-giving cards like Shielded by Faith or Boros Charm to give the Reckoner or Mare indestructable, then have it deal infinite damage to itself. If Reckoner or Mare has lifelink, then you gain infinite life. If you have a double-damage spell on the battlefield, then the Mare/Reckoner'll keep doubling the damage dealt to itself until eventually it can deal infinite damage to a player.
Good luck, and may the topdecks be ever in your favor ;)
1 week ago
Jodah is by far the most intriguing leaked legendary so +1 from me. I'd say you should run Fist of Suns, Sunbird's Invocation, and Maelstrom Archangel to provide redundancy incase Jodah is dealt with.
I think you could upgrade most of your removal packages. I understand that Contract Killing and Gild get you treasure, but cards like Utter End, Anguished Unmaking, Path to Exile, Cyclonic Rift, etc. are far superior and more versatile. Sylvan Reclamation is also great to deal with a troublesome Blood Moon and can help fix your mana.
Good luck deck building and I absolutely love seeing someone play Hypnox!