|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Pirate
When Hostage Taker enters the battlefield, exile target artifact or creature until Hostage Taker leaves the battlefield. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (20)||ecurps , GoldGhost012 , Brandbrower21 , Fighter_7 , sneferie , burnedbread , LeroyJones , 7vennum7 , BillyBalverine , Aquacomics , dizzierabit , Spinalripper , jhunter , KillDatBUG , abby315 , philktoken8998 , Mortiferus_Rosa , golgarigirl , Azdranax , Hakira|
|Want (6)||Wolfninja , skoobysnackz , ryuzaki32667 , Daeyel , chrishuffman95 , bolke|
Hostage Taker Discussion
5 days ago
Instead of Recover maybe Duress or Walk the Plank or Vanquish the Weak? Recover is really expensive and you need something to slow them down (or speed you up) while you're setting up your pieces. Maybe Sword-Point Diplomacy?
6 days ago
Interesting point about the artifact destruction - there's not much meta data yet (comparatively) with such a new format.
I'd be tempted to put at least something more in as all you have is Abrade and while it's always useful having modal options, you might need to off a creature with it and then you've got nothing (well I guess Hostage Taker kind of counts).
Maybe put in a By Force? To drop I would look at one of Tormenting Voice, Tragic Lesson or Chart a Course. As you say, with a 60 card format things can be a squeeze, so you don't want to put yourself too often in a position where you have to choose something to discard out of all good options. Search for Azcanta Flip gets a pass in this category for being awesome!
1 week ago
I really love the idea behind this deck! It reminds me of something I would have come up with when I first started playing (I mean this in a very positive way!), as it is both plausible and creative!
- Cut 3 Khenra Eternal: They don't really fit into your game plan.
- Add 1 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs: This card can be powerful in this type of deck.
- Cut 3 Painted Bluffs, 2 Survivors' Encampment, 2 Island, and 2 Swamp: This with the additions below will help smooth out your mana.
- Add 3 Ifnir Deadlands, 4 Fetid Pools, and 4 Drowned Catacomb: Since you are trying to ramp into something big, you probably want to hit as many land drops as you can. Plus you are running a lot of cycling lands, so that'll help mitigate flood.
- Cut 2 Faith of the Devoted, 2 Bontu's Monument, and 2 Kefnet's Monument: These cards don't have enough synergy with your deck, and you could use these slots to be more focused.
- Add 1 Trespasser's Curse, 2-3 Dowsing Dagger , and 3-4 Ammit Eternal: Dowsing Dagger can be really cute with Trespasser's Curse! And Ammit Eternal will ensure your damage gets through
- Cut 3 Scribe of the Mindful, 2 Merciless Eternal, and 1 Seeker of Insight: these cards are less good now that you've gotten rid of faith - Seeker and the Eternal still have potential though, which is why I left them.
- Add more removal! Once you get your Torment of Scarabs online, this deck will really be able to punish any opponent that can't get more than one creature out at a time.
- Removal to consider: Fatal Push, Vraska's Contempt, Underhanded Designs, Trial of Ambition, Ravenous Chupacabra, Tetzimoc, Primal Death, Doomfall, Hour of Glory, Hostage Taker, Essence Extraction, Yahenni's Expertise or Walk the Plank
- Along with your new removal, you may want to play a copy of Dead Man's Chest because that's just cute. And I'm sure this goes without saying, but this deck would also like 2 The Scarab God
- You can easily get the city's blessing with this deck with all of the enchantments that you have, so playing Kumena's Awakening and Vona's Hunger would likely be good. Along the same route, Twilight Prophet would be great too
At this point, I'm sure you're getting tired of reading, but before you go, I will suggest one more thing: either add green or cut blue for green. This allows you to ramp with cards like Spring and Thunderherd Migration, which will power out your big cards earlier!
Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful. Feel free to reach out with your thoughts on my suggestions. Excited to see how you change it up. Please keep me updated on the results.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
I suggest that you concentrate your deck on more of a midrange deck instead of adding the mill plan with Fleet Swallower and Navigator's Ruin. This would allow you to add more strong pirate creatures such as more Hostage Taker and Dreamcaller Siren. I also think that Sailor of Means isn't as strong as other pirates in the deck and could be removed for more copies of other pirates.
1 month ago
Hey dude! Thank you so much for your recommendations on my pirate deck. Funny story is that i actually ordered Hostage Takerand Dire Fleet PoisonerBefore i saw your comment. So im glad to see that these were not terrible ideas. Also ordered some other pirates in general. The deck will be uppdated when the cards arrive.
I will most likely follow your advice with the Banner. But that has to wait for next payday hehe.
1 month ago
Finally a standard deck that was deckcycled! I mostly review standard decks, and today there were almost ONLY commander decks, so I couldn't help people...If you ever need any help, or have any questions, click magicsheep and leave me a comment. I'll respond within a day.
Either way, let's get down to your deck. To be truthful, I could name a dozen expensive cards (Metallic Mimic, The Scarab God, etc.). I would recommend these cards, but it seems like you're trying to stay with a budget theme so hopefully my suggestions reflect that. :)
To tie this entire deck together, Vanquisher's Banner can hopefully help you dig the cards you need. As a finisher/win con, Torment of Hailfire is relatively cheap ($ wise) and can be very powerful in the right deck. Warkite Marauder is also super annoying and can be, quite frankly, a win con in the right deck. In addition, Dire Fleet Poisoner can change the entire board state for only . Hostage Taker is also quality removal that would go great here. I'll playtest this deck as is and give you suggestions.
Honestly, I feel like you could take this deck in two different directions. The first is create a competitive standard pirates deck which is probably $100-$200. The other is create an almost pauper like budget pirates deck. Please tell me which one (or a different approach, if you have one) so I can tailor my suggestions specifically to your wants.