: Add to your mana pool., , Sacrifice Unstable Obelisk: Destroy target permanent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Unstable Obelisk Discussion
1 day ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake
4 days ago
Sorry, swamped with work. The problem is that you cannot sac Spine of Ish Sah... :( Sad panda.
Here's what I would do in the case of Teeg: Run two of Anger of the Gods effects, which works well against those decks usually. Stony Silence on the other hand is the bane of our existence. The only way I ever can get rid of it is Spine, Warp, or Unstable Obelisk, I had to add into my deck for a while, because it is reccurable.
4 days ago
xander11 well you don't have to go crazy with artifacts but I think some really help. Mind's Eye, Memory Jar, Ruby Medallion, Unstable Obelisk, Meekstone and even Pyromancer's Goggles can be great in the right deck. Goblin Welder is occasionally good for removal too. Hope that helps!
3 weeks ago
Mana Geyser does seem like a better card when you're playing multiplayer, but I'm usually playing 1v1, so I don't get much when my friends don't use all their land, haha.
Also, if you're looking for boardwipe without killing your own things, Soul of New Phyrexia seems alright if you want to give your things indestructible. Scour from Existence is also Unstable Obelisk but without the extra mana to get it out and with an exile effect instead. I just don't think a 3 mana artifact that makes 1 mana isn't too much of a want in a deck because of how slow it is if you're not aiming for ramp all the time.
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the feedback October_Scream! Eldrazi are too mana intensive for my taste, though I find that approach fresh and interesting in comparison to the usual weenies. Boldwyr Intimidator and Briber's Purse and the new Earthshaker Khenra are also very flavorfull and could be a fine starting point when beginning to build a Grenzo deck before working the way for cheaper alternatives with higher levels of repeatableness.
Berserkers' Onslaught on the other hand seems like a great addition for almost any level of tuning, and I'll be trying it out once I'm finished testing Scourge of the Throne or find another slot for trying out things. Key to the City is also actually quite nice when considering how little card selection is available for mono red.
Mana Geyser is a bit of a sometimes-do-nothing card, but It can still do heavy lifting when your board is empty and opponents always have plenty of tapped lands. I've never had to do it for less than ten for a net of 5 and usually goes towards 20. Very fun card :) I'd love to try out Neheb too if I ever get one.
The well thought out part of this deck in my mind is the efficient mana curve and stable amount of enablers (the ceatures and evasion) that come out early so that the deck consistently does what it's made for. I Wish there were more board wipes and removal that fit a token deck in red! It's harsh to wipe your own board and not have much mana to rebuild that turn, luckily Blasphemous act is so good in that regard and I wouldn't even run any of the others. There's also so few ways to beat Elesh Norn without playing 7+ mana cards. Those kinds of things the Unstable Obelisk is here for. I'm lucky to not see her often in my group!
3 weeks ago
Hey, so I've been play testing your list and I've noticed your cmc feels a little high. A couple observations:
I tried Karn Liberated and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon in my own list and drawing them early is harsh. Have you considered Codex Shredder in the possible situation where discarding them is necessary early on for daretti's +2? It's great for returning them to your hand when needed and throws a card in the yard each turn which can be nice. I replaced both with Unstable Obelisk (this is iffy since it doesn't help get daretti out early, I might put karn back in after testing) and All Is Dust(which I see you run anyway) since both can be easily recurred via daretti, Past in Flames or Recoup .
How is Clock of Omens feeling to you? It seems pretty situational and while it can be used for ramp I haven't found it to be effective most of the time.
Contagion Engine is awesome for a one sided board wipe, but I wonder if the slot wouldn't be better for a 2 mana rock allowing daretti to come out a turn early and start +2ing? The same could be said for Tormenting Voice substitutin Fellwar Stone and/or Thought Vessel(or one of the rituals).
Lastly I would say Mirrorworks and Mindslaver are great but situational.The mirror plays better the sooner it comes out but later on it can be kind of meh. Mindslaver is obviously just good with daretti but it does paint a target in 4-player, does it generally generate enough value for you to use it and still survive a potentially hostile table?
Anyways thanks for looking at my build and your suggestions. I hope mine help you out too!
4 weeks ago
Gosse hey thanks for looking, been play testing your build some. Once I get a better feel for it I'll make some suggestions too, both decks play very different.
Crucible of Worlds is definitely next to acquire but so far the deck seems to run ok. You got the game plan right, daretti turn 2-3 and start pumping him up, MLD turn 4-6 and cruise.
The self mill combo isn't so much for completely milling out until I can figure a viable Possessed Portal lock(possibly a Past in Flames flashback->rituals->Scrap Mastery->Wheel of Fortune?). But I have found the orb to be great for finding pieces because the deck routinely empties it's hand and daretti's +2 really starts to suck when you get down to 1-2 cards, so I need something that can dig. I won't lie though, the deck folds to graveyard hate and aims only to get there fast enough hopefully to avoid it. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace etc is probably game with only Unstable Obelisk and All Is Dust as answers. Thanks again for your input, will return the favor!
1 month ago
Sikening, thanks for your feedback. Those enchantments are indeed a pain. Sometimes with UB decks I run Unstable Obelisk or Scour from Existence. They are very mana-intensive but if your meta is filled with problematic enchantments or artifacts, they may be helpful. If it's on budget for you, Cryptic Command is another way to bounce them. That at least gives you another chance to counterspell them if you have another counter in hand. None of the solutions are ideal but may be better than nothing.
In terms of Cabal Coffers, I only have one copy and it's sitting in my Ayli deck where it is more necessary. She is doing some big mana stuff.