|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool., , Sacrifice Unstable Obelisk: Destroy target permanent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Unstable Obelisk Discussion
1 day ago
Maybe I should actually give some constructive budget suggestions rather than just ragging on the deck, huh?
I love Quiet Speculation and think it is vastly underrated. It gets better when more colors are added, but even in mono blue you can go get Deep Analysis for card draw, Cackling Counterpart to copy a Scourge of Fleets or whatever your Phyrexian Metamorph has become, or Artful Dodge to make sure your beater is truly unblockable.
Confound would be a good way to protect the commander.
Trinket Mage gets Basilisk Collar if you really want to keep that, and of course Sol Ring too. You can swap in Wayfarer's Bauble for Wanderer's Twig or the other one for actual ramp, not just a tutor. Brittle Effigy is another great target for the trinket tutorer.
2 weeks ago
Unstable Obelisk- Its mana intensive to do, but this effect is very valuable to have in your colors. I recommend having it just in case.
Bedlam Reveler- A very good topdeck late in the game, as well as an efficent beater for that refills your hand. Not so good if you're early on and dont have self mill
Bloodwater Entity- for a Reclaim and an evasive body with prowess is not a bad rate. Downside of course is having to use your jori trigger or a cantrip to get the card into your hand (but thats not so hard).
Torrential Gearhulk- This is the only gearhulk that is seeing modern play for a reason. It lets us keep using our graveyard as a resource, while being a big body. Very often you can flash it in to block and cast a random spell in your graveyard FOR FREE to get a jori trigger. Thats a 3 for 1. And now you have a 5/6.
Magma Jet- Part of my efforts to find interaction that gives card advantage. 2 damage isn't a lot, but its an instant speed play that can pick off utility creatures while giving us powerful card selection
Oona's Grace-Particularly powerful with your cost reducers, gives us a way to use our excess lands to hit jori triggers. Also an excellent card to discard.
Remand- Tempo play that digs you deeper. I'd probably fire this one off at the first chance i'd get.
Voyage's End- Instant speed bounce with scry. Similar options discussed later.
Riptide Laboratory- mana is actually a big issue with this deck, but I think this effect is powerful enough
Anchor to the Aether- Sorcery speed, but going to the top of the library messes up your opponent's next draw, while the scry digs you further through the deck. I haven't played with this one yet, but it might be good to test.
Pieces of the Puzzle- is a lot and sorcery speed sucks, but this is a powerful draw spell that has the advantage of also filling your graveyard
Spite of Mogis- This is the addition that I am most proud of. I can't believe we didn't know this card existed.
Perilous Voyage- Excellent if it hits something with cmc or less, underwhelming if not. Meta call. Also note that it has cyclonic rift's restriction.
Repulse-Bounce with draw. I think this is the best rate for this effect.
Select for Inspection-A bit troublesome to use, but the scry bounce for only is nice
Stymied Hopes- I'd consider this one a tempo play. Hit the first thing you can, so you can get that sweet sweet scry.
Unsubstantiate- Versatile spell, but the lack of card advantage on it is a minus
Baral's Expertise- Big bounce spell, will trigger Jori. But costs .
Mystic Speculation- Could be ok. Scry 3 is a lot, but thats all it does. I dont see you buying this back all that often.
Shreds of Sanity- 2 cards back for 3 mana + a card. Sounds interesting
Strategic Planning- sorcery speed impulse, but fills your yard.
Void Snare- 1 mana bounce
3 weeks ago
Well yeah, it'd definitely help with not missing land drops, but you'd still probably benefit from removing 10-15 lands and adding in mana rocks so that way you can accelerate, not just play to curve. Being able to threaten blowing Ashling on turn 4 or 5 is pretty restricting for opponents who want to continually cast small value creatures like Bant Blink or Elves (hell, even Goblins with Krenko, non-infinite Ghave decks, Rhys the Redeemed decks, and plenty more. 5-7 damage to everything on turn 5 can make it hard for any deck that wants to win via creatures, especially when you can do it repeatedly).
Solid rocks would include: Fire Diamond, Thought Vessel, Mind Stone (card draw when you don't need it too), Sol Ring, Guardian Idol, Coldsteel Heart, Worn Powerstone, Fellwar Stone, Unstable Obelisk (double as removal), even something like Burnished Hart or Solemn Simulacrum.
3 weeks ago
A colorless deck certainly is viable, however, many of its cards can be expensive. It has boardwipes in Ugin, the Spirit Dragon and All Is Dust, interaction in Spine of Ish Sah and Unstable Obelisk, and access to the ramp that all other none-green colors use, plus it now has basic lands (Wastes), helping with the mana base a bit. The only problem is price, as many of these pieces cost a good bit, as well as the real finishers of Ulamog and Kozlilek (this an be ignored, but the deck won't preform as good).
As for devoid, it wouldn't work, because devoid changes the cards color, not its COLOR IDENTITY. This only allows cards like Sire of Stagnation to be played in the decks they normally would be played in, like Dimir in this instance.
2 months ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake
2 months ago
Sorry, swamped with work. The problem is that you cannot sac Spine of Ish Sah... :( Sad panda.
Here's what I would do in the case of Teeg: Run two of Anger of the Gods effects, which works well against those decks usually. Stony Silence on the other hand is the bane of our existence. The only way I ever can get rid of it is Spine, Warp, or Unstable Obelisk, I had to add into my deck for a while, because it is reccurable.
2 months ago
xander11 well you don't have to go crazy with artifacts but I think some really help. Mind's Eye, Memory Jar, Ruby Medallion, Unstable Obelisk, Meekstone and even Pyromancer's Goggles can be great in the right deck. Goblin Welder is occasionally good for removal too. Hope that helps!
2 months ago
Mana Geyser does seem like a better card when you're playing multiplayer, but I'm usually playing 1v1, so I don't get much when my friends don't use all their land, haha.
Also, if you're looking for boardwipe without killing your own things, Soul of New Phyrexia seems alright if you want to give your things indestructible. Scour from Existence is also Unstable Obelisk but without the extra mana to get it out and with an exile effect instead. I just don't think a 3 mana artifact that makes 1 mana isn't too much of a want in a deck because of how slow it is if you're not aiming for ramp all the time.