As an additional cost to cast Toxic Deluge, pay X life.
All creatures get -X/-X until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (4)||Dredgar , TheRealPeaches , awalloftext , DruneGrey|
|Want (7)||BlueMageBrandon , DudeMan1031 , MindAblaze , mentor6 , Spinalripper , TheRealPeaches , Vasbear1|
Toxic Deluge Discussion
20 hours ago
Sadly Painter's Servant is banned in EDH, because Grindstone goes infinite with it and every EDH deck would run it since its colorless sadly. A viable replacement I'd recommend is possibly another boardwipe card such as Day of Judgment, Toxic Deluge, Black Sun's Zenith, Oblivion Stone or Austere Command.
Humorously you could try running a fun combo such as Magus of the Disk + Darksteel Plate. Since the Magus's effect doesn't remove itself you have a repeatable boardwipe effect for one mana if you equip him with an effect that gives him indestructible. Fated Return also works, but can be a bit costly mana-wise.
2 days ago
Boseiju enters the battlefield tapped - which is an issue BUT you are right, I want my AN to be save. You are right regarding to the underestimation of split second too, but I think it won't help me here. I don't want to interrupt my opponents turns but save my own. Nevertheless I might try Sudden Spoiling instead of Toxic Deluge - I don't have to pay life, can fog me for one turn and -most important- I can turn hatebears into vanilla dudes during my turn.
Thank you alot, you realy helped me!
3 days ago
I see you don't have any board wipes in your deck, you're going to want in any combination: Decree of Pain, Toxic Deluge, Damnation, In Garruk's Wake and Life's Finale would work well if you play with more cards that interact with your graveyard like Chuff_Bucket suggests.
You want Lazav to survive board wipes so Darksteel Plate seems necessary.
5 days ago
5 days ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
6 days ago
I don't think the regular mill subtheme works super well; it's a really convoluted win con for EDH excepting infinite combos, and you don't have many cards that take advantage of the graveyards of other people. I think focusing on the infinite combo aspect harder will give you a more streamlined gameplan for sure, and the alternate win-con should probably be tokens with Oona.
To that end, here are some more great tutors to grab Navigator and your other pieces:
Plunge into Darkness <-- works amazingly with Oona tokens.
There are some better board control cards as well:
Faerie Macabre <-- for graveyard synergies, if those are prevelant
Mind Stone etc.
And some more combos/alt win con ideas:
Scion of Oona can let you swing for the win.
Capsize + infinite mana lets you bounce whatever you choose.
Not that all mill pieces aren't good; Altar of the Brood obviously mills out with infinite bounces, Sword of Body and Mind is just good value, Jace's Mindseeker can be nuts with other go-big decks, etc. But the cards that exist just to mill, like Keening Stone, Mirko Vosk, Szadek, Dimir Guildmage--cutting these for a more streamlined approach will help the deck function smoothly.
Of course, if you love the mill strategy, play what you love! But a better commander for that approach is probably Phenax himself.
1 week ago
Spelltwine fits a bit of the recursion theme - recasting one of your wheels, while giving you the added bonus of getting a spell from an opponent's graveyard since they'll be full to the brim.
Command Beacon is a land that can help mitigate the increasing taxation on your commander.
Pact of Negation - nothing helps resolve a commander like a free counterspell. Albeit not a budget card.
Some more lands - 34 is way too little unless you want to waste your wheels to draw your 4th/5th land.
Minds Aglow is basically an over-priced wheel. No one is going to willingly pay mana into it, meaning you're stuck with footing the bill. Could be really great after a Waste Not + wheel leaving you with 10 mana, but more often than not, this will be "Pay 7 mana to have everyone draw 6". It is good in a team format though.
Runehorn Hellkite is a 7 mana wheel that has to be in your graveyard in order to work.
Helm of Awakening is pretty high-risk as it discounts your opponents' plays. This can backfire pretty badly unless you plan on winning immediately.
Nighthowler doesn't fit the deck very well. Their graveyards may be big (or not after Day's Undoing) but the deck doesn't support attacking or removing blockers meaning they'll always be able to block.
1 week ago
Thanks for taking a look Daedalus19876 I'll be making a few changes based on your suggestions, first is Mother of Runes is now in the deck, originally I misunderstood what she did but she has now earned a spot.
Also Scroll Rack I didn't really know how to use it properly (I'd always put something on top that I wanted and accidentally tutored and shuffled it away and other various misplays) but after reading through your primer it's an auto-include for the scroll rack + land tax combo.
Most mana doublers I've tried but found they slowed me down in the past, this deck has evolved so much however so maybe Caged Sun might help. Extraplanar Lens in my meta isn't run because it's a huge target (mainly for personal reasons, I'll just say when any of my friends play it I destroyed it so they'd also be down a land and now they seek revenge.) Had to cut it from my colorless wastes deck for that reason lol.
As for the lands I've just been testing I change between 34 to 37 lands all the time since the land base is one of my biggest weakness when deck building.
I cut Haunted Cloak and am thinking about cutting Helm of Kaldra. I only keep the helm for the off chance I have the other two pieces (or Stonehewer Giant since I'll search for both those pieces anyway) and will tutor it for an indestructible 9/9 that can't be Gilded Drake'd or Toxic Deluge'd but on it's own it's kind of a dead card. What do you think?
Duelist's Heritage and Silverblade Paladin would love a spot, I'm just bad at making cuts. I can think of one card I could cut but I don't know which to add both Silverblade Paladin can beat down on his own but if I don't have another creature he's a 2/2 and is more susceptible to removal but can be recurred with both Emeria, The Sky Ruin AND Sun Titan. Duelist's Heritage seems like the stronger of the two can be tutored with Enlightened Tutor and if I understand it correctly I can give an opponents creature double strike if they hit an opponent?? Only down side I can think of is Sword of War and Peace and Etched Champion.
Again thank you for the kind words and suggestions, I previously skimmed through your primer when building this but finally fully read it ;)