|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||None|
|Tempest Remastered (TPR)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||ZombieFood , xXThormentXx , Kvothe1115 , MoJoMiXuP , Sparky41 , jtfran02 , cryptoplasm , Benniator , TheRealPeaches , iurxos , KillDatBUG|
|Want (2)||Turtlelover73 , Galdelonian|
4 days ago
4 days ago
DrukenReaps covered the mana issue pretty well. The other suggestion that I'd make for a deck with this high of a CMC is that you probably want more ramp sources or mana rocks. Commander's Sphere and Dimir Signet are both great here. You might also consider replacing Temple of the False God with a basic. You're really color-intensive and don't have a lot of land ramp, so it's at high risk of not actually doing much good in this deck.
To expand a little on narrowing the tribes... I don't think you necessarily have to cut down what tribes are in your deck. However, if you aren't running at least 25 creatures of a tribe, tribal support cards like Crucible of Fire and Door of Destinies are simply bad. You frequently have to take a turn off to play them, so if they're not going to do some reasonable work right away, they're probably worse than a basic land. Kindred Dominance is going to hit so much of your own stuff that you're likely better off playing something like Languish, Crux of Fate or Blasphemous Act instead.
Along those lines, given your high average CMC, loading up on more reasonably-cheap board wipes is probably a good idea. If it's going to take you a while to get going, being able to control the board in the early game is really important. If your opponent has a field full of elves, slamming Butcher of Malakir or Stormsurge Kraken without clearing the board first isn't going to save you.
As for a few cards that you might consider cutting:
- You're really not running enough instants/sorceries to support Mizzix of the Izmagnus in the 99. Mizzix is great, but he really needs a dedicated spellslinger deck to shine. Talrand, Sky Summoner suffers from much the same problem.
- Mindscour Dragon, Vela the Night-Clad and Archetype of Imagination all seem marginal to bad here (with their effects either being redundant or not really big enough for their mana cost). You might consider just slotting some of the decent dragons like Hellkite Charger, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury, Steel Hellkite, Shivan Dragon or Ryusei, the Falling Star.
- Vapor Snag and Dark Betrayal are both pretty bad in EDH. The former represents major card disadvantage in multiplayer. If you're looking for more bounce effects, you might consider Capsize (although I don't think this is really a Capsize deck). Ratchet Bomb is also a little iffy in a format with such a broad range of CMCs on the table. Unless there are a lot of tokens in your meta, it's probably not worth it.
- Cartouche of Knowledge is probably worse than just Ponder.
- Lord of Shatterskull Pass requires you to pump 16 mana in to it and survive to attack before it does anything, almost certainly not worth it.
- Black Market may end up being pretty good due to Marchesa, or not very good since you have a lot of big creatures. I don't think this is immediately a cut, but keep a close eye on how it performs.
- Torment of Hailfire and Torment of Scarabs are also worth keeping an eye on. I feel like you're probably not going to be producing enough mana for Hailfire to do enough work, and Scarabs is limited by only targeting one opponent. They seem like good options to consider cutting in favor of more land.
5 days ago
Hey! I always love to see another Talrand user. +1 from me! A couple thoughts...
Mana Drain - Auto include
Flusterstorm - Useful, but might be limited depending on meta
Twincast - Useful, but might be limited depending on meta
Telling Time - Top deck filter
Pact of Negation - Auto include
Time Warp - Extra turn cards go well with Talrand because you cast the spell, get a drake, and at worst end the turn. You get another turn to them use the drake from the previous turn that "now has haste(ish)"
Temporal Manipulation - Same reason as above
Blatant Thievery - It seems your wincondition is to polymorph into a fatty and beat facce. I don't know if your build is 1v1 or multiplayer, but this card has won me several games easily
Bribery - Why cheat out your beatstick when you can beat them with their own beat stick
Land Equilibrium - Damn U green 2? Nah, I'm blue daba dee daba die. Lol, anyways, this hates on ramp. Always useful
Overburden - Same reasoning as above. If not im mistaken, I don't think this will cause you to return a land when you polymorph the creature (could be wrong). I will not however, cause you to return a land for each token you put.
Capsize - End game mana sink
Isochron Scepter - How can you not be running such an oppressive tool (think memory lapse)
If you want any other ideas, feel free to check Tisk Tisk Talrand
1 week ago
All of the following suggestions are purely pirate-themed, not actual usefulness.
Gamble Favorite pastime I hear
Reassembling Skeleton Pirates always have a few skeletons around
Expedition Map need to know where we're going
Jar of Eyeballs in case we lose one
1 week ago
Horde of Notions, thank you for the comment! I did add Identity Thief, but just wanted to let you know that it still needs another piece to go infinite, since Medomai enters the battlefield before Identity Thief stops being Medomai. This means that the legend rule will force you to get rid of one. Luckily, we have Capsize and Obelisk of Undoing to make the combo infinite.
The only three drop counterspells I play are ones that also cantrip so that spending a lot of counterspells in one round does not completely empty my hand of all my answers.
3 weeks ago
I know I am coming out of nowhere with this, but I was looking at tier 3 decks and would like to try and make something up for Medomai the Ageless (at least some were discussing UW commanders above so not totally out of place).
I figured out stax would probably be the best archetype for him. We break parity by taking extra turns, obviously. It would have all the same problems as other UW commanders though, needing to attck, but at least we have an actual win condition right there. With the turns we could take, it should not be that difficult to figure out a win, and to break parity...
The only thing is I would like to get something of a combo going around, and I found out by doing some research that Humility+ Capsizewould let me attack with Medomai the Agelessduring extra turns. Swing with original, take the extra turn. Drop the Humility, then swing with the ability-less Medomai, then Capsize on Humility. Rince and repeat for infinite turns. I mean, both cards are useful at some extent, so they are not dead, and we can quite easily search for both half in those colors...
I simply wanted to know if anyone else ever tried to build something at least remotely competitive, to see if we have a base to work on, or if I would build everything from scratch.
3 weeks ago
Capsize and Forbid should be in the deck. Kess says if the spell would fo to the graveyard exile it instead, with byback they don't go to the graveyard so you don't exile them. Especially good with forbid.
3 weeks ago
decided i dont really need these things anymore. heres what i got:
1x The Scarab God - $80
1x Damnation - $85
1x Pact of Negation - $50
1x Capsize - $30
1x Slaughter Pact - $22
1x Forbid - $20
1x No Mercy - $26
binder with wants and other cards for sale.