|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Morbid — At the beginning of each end step, if a creature died this turn, you may draw a card.
Deathreap Ritual Discussion
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Vraska, Golgari Queen is a pretty decent sac outlet and she can become a win condition.
I also don't think the mana curve really requires 40 lands, you could definitely take out a few if you have more cards you want to swap in.
3 weeks ago
Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip is something I experimented with, but in the end all I could ever really do was activate her +, which is pretty weak in this deck. But my meta is pretty hard on planeswalkers. Maybe yours is more lenient, idk.
Lord of Extinction is sorta just weak here. I mean it combos great with Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord , but how often are you going to christmas-dreamland into both of those two? And Nighthowler is kinda just a worse Lord of Extinction .
I have played Sheoldred, Whispering One before and, like all of the praetors, all she does is get you targeted to death- especially if you can recur her.
Deadbridge Chant 's randomness makes it pretty bad. You're aiming to have like 10 or 15 cards in your grave by the time you play this, it makes that number 25. 1 in 25 is not very good. Like the card is a decent value engine, but it's not likely to get you what you're looking for.
Suggestions for Adds:
Acidic Slime : flexible removal
Farhaven Elf : better ramp
Thragtusk : a BIG pillow to lie back against- five life and two blockers!
Treasure Keeper : good value
Veteran Explorer : never hurts to have the table on your side
Vindictive Lich : hits each opponent where it hurts
Wall of Blossoms : big-butt creature and a draw
Wurmcoil Engine : just insane
Hell's Caretaker : good recursion
Attrition : repeatable removal
Perilous Forays : repeatable ramp
Quagmire Druid : repeatable enchantment removal
Sadistic Hypnotist : repeatable hand hate
Thoughtpicker Witch : f.ck somebody's draws
Viscera Seer : free, instant-speed sac outlet, provides some card advantage
Vraska, Golgari Queen : + is great, - is great, and ult is insane
Deathreap Ritual : lots of draw
Shadows of the Past : so. many. scries.
Zulaport Cutthroat : pings opponents to death, gains life
2 months ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
2 months ago
Gladehart Cavalry Pir, Imaginative Rascal Winding Constrictor Hardened Scales Forgotten Ancient Death's Presence Reyhan, Last of the Abzan Retreat to Kazandu Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest Corpsejack Menace Ivy Lane Denizen Kalonian Hydra Loyal Guardian Managorger Hydra Necropolis Regent Ob Nixilis, the Fallen Scute Mob Vigor Vebulid Yahenni, Undying Partisan The Haunt of Hightower
3 months ago
I've got a couple of suggestions:
4 months ago
Well as far as additions are concerned, I dont know if I have what you are looking for, but here are a few cards I can make a strong argument for.
Read the Bones - Not the same ceiling as a card like Driven, but definitely a higher floor. I dont know how fast your metta is, but if you are like me, when you want to draw cards, you want to draw cards now and not sit around waiting for upkeep or other conditions to be met. I think of Read the bones as a better version of Harmonize. I know for sure it deserves a spot in your 99 more than Deathreap Ritual and I would argue it more valuable than Phyrexian Arena too. With a 2 cmc commander, you do often have 7 cards in hand on turn 3, so casting Read the Bones on curve might not be that desirable, but if you are in a pinch, I feel it's still worth it to bin one card in order to get whatever peace you need. If you haven't used this card before, run some playtests with it, I am never disappointed to have Read the Bones in hand.
Mask of Memory or Skeleton Key - I personally haven't tried these two out yet but I was strongly considering them for the synergy with Archfiend of Ifnir. I was thinking that equipping the Mask to a snake would be a good way have the opponent not block, but that plan might not always work. The Key is a little more likely to connect could possibly help Hapatra get in but I'm not sure its worth it. Along the same line you could also consider Keen Sense or the slightly worse Sixth Sense. Warriors' Lesson is interesting in that you could use it on your opponents creatures.
Memory Jar and Bazaar of Baghdad both have synergy with Archfiend of Ifnir again but are useful all by themselves. And if you are going to be discarding more often why not think about Skeletal Scrying (which is also helpful with all those fetchlands you have).
In my own list I also run Whispersilk Cloak just for Hapatra but that doesn't have anything to do with card draw.
Underrealm Lich and Izoni, Thousand-Eyed are higher on the mana dump but either one is worth considering and obviously they work well together. I know these two suggestions are kinda out there at first glance, but I think if you really consider their potential, they have value. It may require to much of a direction change for the deck right now, but good to keep these cards in mind.
Concordant Crossroads - This is another card I'm surprised you dont run already. When your combo lands endless tokens, this can be a finisher for one mana.
Viridian Corrupter - Because we tutor for creatures so often, I feel like this dude is worth including. If there is an artifact you really need to take out, why not overlap with some infect potential? Every deck has artifacts in it and no one wants to start taking poison counters, especially when they know you can proliferate, but that's just the threat, the real value is in the snakes he nets you when they block or attack (and they will attack if you are blowing up their nice things).
Fauna Shaman - the budget version of Survival of the Fittest, why not run both? More tutor means more combo and more discard means more synergy for the Archfiend of Ifnir as well as other cards I mentioned like Skeletal Scrying or Izoni, Thousand-Eyed.
Vedalken Orrery - Now I know this can be less helpful in the faster metta, but if you have the time to deploy it, it is very powerful. Many of the combos in your deck are creature baised, this protects them. It also helps set up that "Defense of the Heart.
Bear Umbra - I dont know if you are in the market for more ramp but I like the idea of keeping Hapatra on the table as long as possible. And because the untap trigger doesn't require you to deal damage I would argue this is even better than Sword of Feast and Famine.
Viridian Longbow - this one I wanted to throw in just for fun. It basically gives you another Ulvenwald Tracker tracker effect and could be very useful.
Well I bet you have considered many of these cards already but sometimes the value of a card can change from the first time we see it. Sometimes its helpful to go back with a fresh perspective and decide if now is the time to shake things up. I hope my ideas here are useful, even if the cards I listed dont make it into your deck, it may help you get those brewer's juices flowing for your own ideas and help make sure the deck keeps evolving the way you want it to. I know I'll be coming back to see what updates you have in the future. Maybe Ravnica Alliance will give us something spicy :)
4 months ago
cleandeceit: Thanks, I'm so glad this has been helpful! Regarding your suggestions...
Driven / Despair is a newer addition, so it may well come out if it doesn't perform well (haven't had a chance to test it yet). But I feel like both halves of it would be helpful here, and I feel like the ceiling on the card is very powerful (especially since I usually have 3+ Snakes sitting around).
Deathreap Ritual has been passable, honestly? It's one of the potential cuts here, I think, but I would want to replace it with other draw - any suggestions for what would be better?
Defense of the Heart often does eat removal, true, but that's less removal for my other wincons. I'm comfortable baiting removal with it, and it often manages to lock opponents out of playing their creatures if they can't find removal (not to mention times where I play it after someone already has 3). It's pulled its weight when I've drawn it.
Thanks for your thoughts! Is there anything important you feel I'm missing?
Deathreap Ritual occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%