|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Whenever you cast a spell from your hand, reveal the top X cards of your library, where X is that spell's converted mana cost. You may cast a card revealed this way with converted mana cost X or less without paying its mana cost. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
|Have (6)||releasethedogs , Narueled , , agardels , AlbinoLion , jhTheMan99|
|Want (14)||zn.tportlock , widell , LastCall , EdwinSmithIV , xafeara , Jspeed , JannieB , flipdipple , redarrow4403 , Clones16 , QBrick , boneSANITY , Vialheart , Xelgion|
Sunbird's Invocation Discussion
18 hours ago
imho if you intend to go to this route and you have no intention of going Mayael, then I would add in Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Rites of Flourishing , Collective Voyage , Veteran Explorer , Hypergenesis , Magus of the Vineyard , Ghirapur Orrery , Reality Scramble , Sunbird's Invocation , Selvala's Stampede , Gate to the AEther , etc. to be able to play a lot of these cards without getting mana screwed since you won't always draw Mayael and have an obscenely high avg cmc.
I would look into more cards like Goblin Sharpshooter , Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker , Krenko, Mob Boss , Sylvan Library , Combat Celebrant , Shalai, Voice of Plenty , Selvala, Heart of the Wilds , Angel of Condemnation , Ahn-Crop Champion (and various other exert cards)), Elvish Piper , etc.
Honorable Mentions: Vernal Equinox , Possibility Storm (trade cheaper creatures in for your larger ones), Oath of Druids , Yisan, the Wanderer Bard , Champion of Rhonas , Sword of the Animist , Sword of Feast and Famine , Lifecrafter's Bestiary , Feldon of the Third Path , Heartless Hidetsugu , Stonehewer Giant , etc.
Let me know how the list comes along.
Jaecen on Animar Sec
2 days ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
3 days ago
Hi, at first glance the deck looks good but you are missing a few key pieces.
Here's a few weird cards : Omniscience and Sunbird's Invocation - really fun cards but you are not a jodah big mana deck, no reduction of costs and no green to ramp... I should build that :) Mind Rot and Vicious Rumors - not efficient enough and even completely useless in some cases. I would replace those with
But three colours decks have such a great number of deck building choices that you can get lost in it... It's amazing. I would suggest (most powerful deck I think) grixis spells with a lot of removal to kill later with flipped bolas or combos Primal Amulet Flip and explosion//expansion
1 week ago
It's certainly a thing that will happen on occasion. Usually it's Villainous Wealth that I hit off cascade. Part of why the deck prefers the Sunbird's Invocation trigger to Cascade proper. However it's not usually to big a hurdle, if Ramos is out it's still a couple counters and with All Suns' Dawn , Past in Flames , and Mizzix's Mastery in the deck it's possible to get value out of them being in the graveyard later. Could probably run Treasured Find in the deck, or any of the mono-green equivalents.
2 weeks ago
I want to point out that cost reducers, such as any of the Medallions: Sapphire Medallion , will trigger Lavinia if it reduces the cost to zero. However, the kicker here is any spell increase due to taxing effects such as Thalia, Guardian of Thraben means "free spells" can now be cast because mana was spell to cast them. Cascading into spells with Sunbird's Invocation or Maelstrom Wanderer will circumvent the Lavinia trigger as long as the opponent as the land criteria.
After testing with with this deck, Omen Machine is really bad compared to other effects, such as cards like Eye of the Storm . Consider this, exile Expropriate with Eye of the Storm and then take everything every time you cast a spell for the rest of the game using Eye or have unlimited Teferi's Protection because these cards are exiled when they are cast, prior to them resolving. Creatures are still an issue, but that is why you still play Knowledge Pool. You can also stack the triggers in such a way that cards that cannot be countered don't get out from under Knowledge Pool, such as Abrupt Decay .
Food for thought.
2 weeks ago
My friend plays with Ur as well and its pretty sweet! You should try using cards like Sunbird's Invocation or Rhythm of the Wild they can out of hand super quick! Also Cream of the Crop is great filtering since you will be dropping them high CMC permanents. It might be out of budget range but Mana Reflection is great, but Mirari's Wake is a great substitute.
Hope that helps!
2 weeks ago
2 rocks = 1 land is a great start. I usually go with 3rocks=1land.
3 weeks ago
First question: Because the exile effect of Possibility Storm is part of the resolution, but not a necessary part (i.e. it does not say "Exile that spell, if you do, then [insert effect here]).
Possibility Storm 's gatherer rulings make this explicitly clear:
If Possibility Storm’s ability doesn’t exile the original spell (perhaps because another Possibility Storm already exiled it), you’ll still exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a card that shares a card type with it and have the opportunity to cast that spell.
Apologies for the confusion.
Sunbird's Invocation occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%
U/R (Izzet): 0.06%
RUG (Temur): 0.14%
RGW (Naya): 0.13%