Hour of Devastation
All creatures lose indestructible until end of turn. Hour of Devastation deals 5 damage to each creature and each non-Bolas planeswalker.
|Want (3)||bloodmoonhowler , Galvain , aed339|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation (HOU)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Hour of Devastation occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Hour of Devastation Discussion
4 days ago
harbingerofduh I had Sword of W&P in here once. Card draw > Lifegain.
Driemer84 Memory Jar seems like a good addition. Might pick one up. Mizzium Mortars doesn't seem necessary, I think I'd rather run Hour of Devastation. I guess I live in a meta where Sandstone Oracle is an easy draw 6 most games. Mana Geyser is a great card, and is part of the Wheel/Underworld Breach combo, so I've been looking to add one. Might take out a copy spell. Chandra's Ignition is a so-so card, and it's been debated before. I might replace it sometime, it's not a hill I'd die on, but usually it's pretty good, so it stays.
1 week ago
I think a couple of board wipe spells would be beneficial. Something like Storm's Wrath or Hour of Devastation would help you stay alive vs aggro and give you a good shot a killing some plainswalkers as well. Another card that burn decks have run in the past for this reason is Ensnaring Bridge. You would probably need to keep your hand emptied which leads into my next thought.
If you do want to try the Ensnaring Bridge plan, then you will probably need to empty your hand a little bit faster. Your creatures will help you with this, but don't really work well with the board wipes. Trading the creatures for cards like Talisman of Indulgence or Chromatic Lantern gives you mana that can be used instantly. They also have the side benefit of being able to give you red mana on the chance you only have tron lands in play.
Another consideration I had for this deck would be getting hosed by things like Leyline of Sanctity. I know you have All Is Dust for things like this, but you could also try something like Ugin, the Ineffable to not only remove troublesome cards like leyline, but also give you another creature option to work with. It also has the potential benefit of card draw. The static ability could help you play some of your hand out.
General food for thought.
4.1 Changing the mountains to snow mountains to add Arcum's Astrolabe. Reasoning is card draw and mana filtering for possible color splashes.
4.2 Chalice of the Void Why? Well given that your playing a large number of spells that can be whatever cost you want, you can place this at almost any value you want for some potential spell control. It would probably be better as a sideboard card, but it couldn't hurt to have for the combo matchups. Imagine landing this on 2 to combat the Grinding Station/Underworld Breach decks.
4.3 Shrapnel Blast This just seems like solid damage for the cost. Sacrifice fodder for this could be astrolabe's, talismans, chalice, you name it. (example) destroying your own Ensnaring Bridge to allow you to attack.
2 weeks ago
Sideboard could contain some of these (keeping it budget):
1 month ago
Stonecutter85, thanks for the suggestions!
1) As for Mystic Sanctuary, I reliably get the trigger, with fetches snagging Island/X lands and then drawing into basics I have yet to whiff honestly unless its in my opening hand. But I do like the idea of Castle Vantress as a mana-sink mid/late game, i'll have to test that one out.
2) I actually took out Vraska's Contempt in favor of Eat to Extinction for the psuedo-surveil and less color restriction. I also have counter-magic, Reality Shift, Hour of Devastation, Languish, Black Sun's Zenith and Cyclonic Rift to handle Gods but I have been considering dropping Hero's Downfall, but its just been such a handy removal spell before especially at 3cmc, it does alot of work.
3) I do like the inclusion of surveil over the damage, but in all honestly, I run Ionize not for the 2 damage but just because it only requires 1 blue, which helps free up my mana for potential counter-magic wars or multiple counters during a turn cycle. I might cut Archmage's Charm instead for Sinister Sabotage.
5) It's a cool PW, is a actual win-con if the game goes on that long lol, but i'm not sure what I would cut for it because there isn't much room, i'll try that one out as well.
Thank you very much bud, I do appreciate a second set of eyes checking out my list.
2 months ago
2 months ago
love the deck. I'm still getting used to this format, what do you think about any of these Ravaging Blaze or Fall of the Titans / Mindswipe / Callous Dismissal / Flame Sweep / Hour of Devastation / Into the Story / Crush of Tentacles / Wavebreak Hippocamp / The Magic Mirror ?
2 months ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
3 months ago
I guess you have already seen the new boros commander Haktos the Unscarred ? I'm currently thinking about building him, and I'd love to hear your opinion about him.
My thoughts for now are the following:
Adding Tajic, Legion's Edge , The Wanderer and Loyal Unicorn and some damage based sweepers such as Hour of Devastation seems a possible route to go because this way, not only Achilles himself, but your other creatures are as well protected grom your own boardwipes. Possible ways to pump him are Hero's Blade and Obsidian Battle-Axe because their etb-triggers don't target. To have them when he enters the battlefield, Steelshaper's Gift and Open the Armory seem useful. Another thing I am considering are "global" protection spells as they don't target and thus ignore his protection.
I'm not sure if the deck should include more equipment or enchantment, but if, then these natirally would have to spread evenly among cmc 2, 3 and 4.
I'll try to upload a first draft of a list later. If you'd like to see it, I'd be happy to link you there.
Until then: Best regards