Maze of Ith
: Untap target attacking creature. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to and dealt by that creature this turn.
|Have (2)||, metalmagic|
|Want (6)||BlazinJsin , Mr.Bubbles11 , Blackswordsman123 , PawPawBear , Teeracer , durahan|
Printings View all
|Double Masters (2XM)||Rare|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Realms (V12)||Mythic Rare|
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Rare|
|The Dark (DRK)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Maze of Ith
- Crawlspace + Maze of Ith + Maze of Ith
- Ley Weaver + Maze of Ith
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Maze of Ith occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Maze of Ith Discussion
2 days ago
I also run a Xenagos deck! Lol, what are the chances! I will try to keep cards under $15 per your suggestion....
Greater Good - BEST card you will ever add, if you listen to ANYTHING I say, this is it. Period.
Lurking Predators - With 1/3rd of your deck as creatures, this is like a sunbirds invocation that does something even if you pass the turn! Highly recomended!
Rancor - Nice to have, makes a 1/1 into a 6/4 trample with Xenagos. Providing trample cheaply and repeatedly is nice
The Great Henge - A bit over budget, but nice to have. Card draw, lifegain and ramp all in 1, usually for .
Gruul Signet - Nothing flashy, but another 2 mana ramp to help bring Xenagos out T3-4
Lifecrafter's Bestiary - Scry and card draw, not bad, definitely worth considering to help maintain gas
Decimate - 4 cards for 1? yes please! Can also target Xenagos if no other enchantments since he's indestructible.
Hull Breach - Mini decimate, still good!
Life's Legacy - Very useful, sometimes it sucks sacrificing a beater, but its sometimes very very needed, especially if you know they are holding up removal, they cant cast it in response since saccing is additional cost to cast
Nature's Lore - Ramp on T2 that can search up duals and brings the land untapped
Rishkar's Expertise - I rarely advise for risky cards, but the positive far outweighs the negative. Your biggest issue in this deck is getting 2 for 1ed, when you cast a draw/enchantment spell on your creature, they can remove it in response so you lose 2 cards to their one. But the potential of drawing 8 plus cards and casting a spell for free helps with this deck lack of tempo and card draw. I think it fits quite well
Skyshroud Claim - Nature's lore x2. While not necessary, can be helpful in keeping some tempo and ramp is crucial in a big beaters deck.
Berserk - A better unleash fury that can on occasionally kill opposing creatures when needed
Momentous Fall - Used in response to removal, removal can't be used in response to cast on the same creature
Return of the Wildspeaker - Used in response to removal
Lands...Obviously none of these are needed, but they make the deck slightly better are relatively cheap. Worth the investment, IMO. You have lots of room in your landbase given you are playing green and already run an ok amount of ramp. Adding even more ramp will really make your utility lands shine.
Dread Statuary - Manlands are helpful as they can be used for draw spells (see above instants/sorcerries) and can be equipped with rancor to deal damage unexpectedly.
Castle Garenbrig - Need that extra mana for that creature? I got you covered
Bonders' Enclave - Decent card draw
Blighted Woodland - Ramp
Myriad Landscape - See above
Raging Ravine - Manland
Sheltered Thicket - Least important of all lands, but nice to draw late game and can be fetched with nature's lore, farseek, skyshroud (although it will come in tapped)
Kessig Wolf Run - Has helped me win here and there. Shouldn't be overlooked, nice to have like the rest of these
Atarka, World Render - 12/12 double strike trample flying w/ Xenagos! Too good to pass up
Balefire Dragon - Deals with token decks and can clear a board while dealing heavy damage
Carnage Tyrant - HEXPROOF. I cannot tell you how many times hexproof has saved me in this deck. They cant use their removal they've been holding up, they can't counter it, and it has trample. Stats leave something to be desired a bit, but can pack a punch with Xenagos and is safe to use Rishkar's expertise on
Elder Gargaroth - New card which fuels card draw and has vigilance too!
Fierce Empath - Nice to find the beater you need
Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma - Ramp and provide trample!
Eternal Witness - Nice recursion of a beater or draw spell
Ilharg, the Raze-Boar - A beater that returns itself eventually and helps bring in other beaters (note: ETB triggers and the creature can attack a different opponent). Like a mini sneak attack
Inferno Titan - ETB and attack trigger. Not bad, I find it useful although you might not despite it being better than a lot of your other cards.
Kogla, the Titan Ape - ETB and attack trigger. Can be nice to bounce an eternal witness to give it indestructible.
Lifeblood Hydra - Even if they kill it, you get to draw something. I've found it useful, especially with berserk.
Nylea, Keen-Eyed - Helps make your creatures easier to cast, hard to remove, and helps you maintain gas. I'm still not convinced with it, testing it in my own build TBH. But thought it worthwhile to mention.
Pathbreaker Ibex - A beater that provides trample to other beaters. Puts in some decent work, especially with a rancor!
Reclamation Sage - Cheap artifact/enchantment removal on a creature (ex: lurking predators)
Sakura-Tribe Elder - Another cheap 2CMC ramp spell to ensure Xenagos T3-4
Savage Ventmaw - HUGE TEMPO! Attack and cast Rishkar's expertise or the Great Henge and then return of the wildspeaker/momentous fall/life's legacy or anything else is huge. Getting the attack and tempo in is VERY helpful as our deck struggles with tempo putting all the mana into a big creature.
Shaman of Forgotten Ways - Ramp and an alternate wincon should you need it
Siege Behemoth > Thorn Elemental
OVERALL: The deck is ok. I'm surprised how it has such a low CMC, but given your X spells. Once you replace those with 5+ CMC creatures, it will increase your AVG CMC to "normal". You want your AVG CMC to be around 4. Xenagos works as a sniper, you cast one big creature, give it haste and hope it doesnt eat removal. Given you spent all that mana on the creature, you don't do much else for the turn and then people usually swing at you because they are afraid of you casting another big creature out of nowhere.
As a result, having protection for them is crucial. In the form of heroic intervention, or another card out of budget such as Deflecting swat (which is SO powerful, counter counterspells, redirect targetted removal, targetted draw, targetted extra turns and more FOR FREE, so you can BLUFF INTERACTION). One more idea I'm thinking of is to replace Giant growth with Vines of Vastwood, similar function but provides protection as well. Also see Blossoming Defense for a similar function should removal/interaction is an issue in your meta as much as mine. Given you play against combo, they probably have interaction prior to them assembling their combo.
I got lots of ideas for cuts, so be sure to lmk what you think of each suggestion!
1 week ago
Ahoy there! I also built a rat deck some time back, so I might be able to give you some suggestions! First, lets take a look at your ramp and lands. Having the right ramp and lands can be very very very strong in commander, and it should always be properly used.
Since you are in mono black, there aren't too many land options out there for you. But one I would definitely include is the Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers combo. It can get you a LOT of mana very fast. Also consider Cabal Stronghold, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, and Shizo, Death's Storehouse. Since you have a lot of Swamps, I would also consider some nice colorless sources, like Ancient Tomb, Wasteland, maybe Maze of Ith, Strip Mine, etc. These can be extremely useful, especially in mono decks.
Now on to ramp! A mono colored deck should have 6-7 ramp spells in my opinion, and here are some I would consider. Dark Ritual, Jet Medallion, Lotus Petal, Thran Dynamo, Mana Vault, etc. Ramp can be extremely useful, and there are much more expensive options but these are very good to start with.
There are many fun ways to make rats! I would consider everything above, and I hope it helps you on your journey in this deck! If you found this helpful be sure to check out and upvote my decks (Double Trouble EDH, and give me suggestions if you have any! Anyways though, good luck on your deck, hope this helps, and have a great day!
1 week ago
Hey there! No problem, and you have definitely come to the right place! Here are some types of lands that I personally think should have a spot in every deck, and some multi-colored lands that work anywhere and everywhere! I hope this helps you throughout your journey in the world of magic.
Types of Lands:
- These lands say when [cardname] enters the battlefield you either take two, or have it enter tapped, which I am sure you are familiar with.
- These are lands that say, [cardname] enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a [land type] or [land type]. These aren't always that good in my opinion, but if you need a cheaper option they are MUCH better than guildgates, etc.
- Similar to the signets, these lands can be extremely useful when you have one color, and need the other. They are also a lot cheaper as they just got reprinted in Double Masters
- Some of my personal favorites, these lands can be untapped unless you have 4+ lands, and are very helpful at the start of the game
- These are by far some of the best, as you always know you can get mana from them, without worrying they might be tapped, or untapped, or something like that.
- The better version of pain lands- but they are not printed in every color combination. However when you can, cut your pain lands for these!
- There are also the beloved fetch lands, which can even search for shock lands, proving to be very useful in many situations!
- These are EXTREMELY useful if you have multiple opponents, as they come at no extra cost. However like the Horizon lands, they are not available in every color.
- Sea of Clouds, Morphic Pool, Luxury Suite, Spire Garden, Bountiful Promenade
These dual lands are some of the best, and my favorites, though there are many more people enjoy playing, such as bounce ladnds (Dimir Aqueduct), Battle Lands (Sunken Hollow), Reveal Lands, (Port Town), Cycle Lands (Irrigated Farmland), Storage Lands (Calciform Pools) and many others, but usually you don't have this many spaces in your deck, and so the ones I named first are usually better. However, I'm not done! There are many multicolor lands that fit in any deck, that are extremely powerful! Some of them are listed below.
- City of Brass
- Mana Confluence
- Prismatic Vista
- Fabled Passage
- Ancient Tomb
- Exotic Orchard
- Command Tower
- Forbidden Orchard
- Gemstone Mine
- Gemstone Caverns
- Command Tower
- Maze of Ith
- Strip Mine
- Tarnished Citadel
Etc. There are many more like this but as before, the ones above are definitely the best, and most of them deserve a spot in every deck! Some specific deck themes have their own versions of these lands, like for Artifact decks you might play Glimmervoid and for Creature decks you might play Ancient Ziggurat. Usually, when I deckbuild i go to EDHREC, which has amazing suggestions and synergies for EVERY commander, and even for specific archetypes and colors- lands among them! For these speciifc themes you can find the lands you need there (along with many other cards too) but everything I named above I recommend playing in the meantime! I hope this helps you in your future decks, thanks for reaching out, good luck, and have a great day!
2 weeks ago
So the changes have been made. Here's what I decided:
1) Easily, Atarka, World Render improves the 99 by replacing Rampaging Brontodon. The double strike-enabling for dragons is more valuable than the power toughness buff of Rampaging Brontodon's attack trigger.
2) Questing Beast replaces Vivien's Arkbow. Vivien's Arkbow requires a lot of resources and the deck seems smoother with Questing Beast in its place. Questing Beast is too good to not be included in the deck.
3) Savage Ventmaw replaces Mana Geyser. I actually prefer Savage Ventmaw over Kozilek, Butcher of Truth in this spot. Without any of the spells that used to be included with the previously discussed token package, keeping Mana Geyser in the deck seemed to be an oversight. Savage Ventmaw's attack trigger will help mitigate the loss of this ramp spell.
4) Deflecting Swat replaces Chord of Calling. Chord of Calling is more difficult to cast without the presence of token creatures to help convoke it. In this exchange, a premium for protection was eye-balled. Unfortunately, a copy of Heroic Intervention currently is unavailable, but Deflecting Swat is a great runner-up!
5) I will continue to play-test and game-play with Lurking Predators. In the current deck list it replaces Gratuitous Violence, which was going to be replaced by Fiery Emancipation. This is a work in progress, as Gratuitous Violence has been a great card in the deck for me for a while. I'm open-minded, however, and will continue to give Lurking Predators a chance.
6) Lastly, Inkmoth Nexus is out and Field of Ruin is in. Inkmoth Nexus will find residence in another EDH/Commander deck. Its ability is rarely activated, if ever, by me in this deck. As such, substituting a more helpful land like Field of Ruin and its Maze of Ith-destroying capabilities seems like an easy swap.
And that's the way the news goes. I look forward to continue play-testing and game-playing Xenagos, God of Revels.
2 weeks ago
Actually the deck only runs 37 lands, that reliably produce mana with Eye of Ugin, Maze of Ith and Temple of the False God not making mana outright or at all. If ioniboi adds more of the fast mana like Mana Crypt and Lion's Eye Diamond i can see going below 37+3. as it stands the decks needs to make its land drop up to at least 6-7 lands to be able to cast Kozilek.
2 weeks ago
I use Rings of Brighthearth together with Strionic Resonator to do some silly things with Mimic Vat and overall its pretty cool card to use.
I would also reccommend:
Mind's Eye - more card draw = more power (more fuel for Kozilek, the Great Distortion)
Herald's Horn - to make your eldrazi even cheaper to get out + possible 2nd card draw if you hit Eldrazi with H's H
Some more cards that could be nice:
Mystic Forge; Whispersilk Cloak; Darksteel Forge+Mycosynth Lattice; Planar Bridge; God-Pharaoh's Statue; Emergence Zone; Decimator Web; Maze of Ith; Mana Geode
I would probably cut:
Deathless Behemoth - it works better in colored decks that can effectively create scion tokens.
Ghirapur Orrery - Im never sure about this card, might be better to use something else.
Meekstone - This kinda screws your own big creatures?