|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Realms (V12)||Mythic Rare|
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Rare|
|The Dark (DRK)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Maze of Ith
: Untap target attacking creature. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to and dealt by that creature this turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||Ocheyo , dexxter7 , HydraOoze , cklise , Swamy , Vasbear1 , greanbeaner , Hootiequack , Zomgasa , L4DMalus , TehDelta , HR19 , bigc137 , TheRealPeaches , awalloftext , Poptartz95 , mziter501 , Justinaut|
|Want (7)||Duct-Tape-Guardian , Turtlelover73 , xpsychovampx , zachi , jtaddeo , TheLazyGrim , althekoolkid|
Maze of Ith Discussion
11 hours ago
There have been a lot of really good points made already, but I'm still struggling to see what the end goal is for this deck. I think one of the first things to consider is, Kess is a spellslinger. You need a much higher land count to accommodate this strategy.
In commander, a 38 land deck is approximately the same as a 24 land, 60 card deck. With the inclusion of your lands, about 50% of your deck should be dedicated to producing mana or finding it (mana rocks + ramp spells + lands = 50 cards). The rest of your deck looks like you took two trains (Draconic Domination and Arcane Wizardry), and created a train wreck. Pick a strategy and cut out EVERYTHING that isn't part of that strategy. Are you a Kess deck or are you a pseudo Ur - Dragon deck?
As for recommendations, I highly recommend Search for Azcanta Flip, Thaumatic Compass Flip (ramp + Maze of Ith), and either Rhystic Study or Mystic Remora. One thing to note, you CAN use the suspend costs on cards with Kess, so recasting Wheel of Fate is entirely possible. Since they won't resolve the same turn, the exile clause of Kess' ability won't affect them.
Some general advice, you don't really have enough for the "artifact matters" cards like Unlicensed. With that being said, get rid of them. Find more hard ramp, cards like Traveler's Amulet, over mana rocks. Rocks die to removal, while not many people play land destruction, at least not if they want to keep playing, in the pod. I don't see any sort of graveyard hate, unless I'm overlooking it, which shouldn't be hard to implement (Rakdos Charm is in your colors). Finally, implement some better win cons that play to Kess' strengths. Throwing in some fork effects, threatens, storm effects, i.e. Mind's Desire, and a Banefire to send a message. Heck, my Kess deck runs Paradox Engine, Mystic Speculation, and Brain Freeze, not to mention the Capsize lock. (If you pay buyback, the spell returns to your hand and doesn't get exiled, with Kess! :) )
I hope some of this helps you to find a strategy that works for you, and, more importantly, is fun to play. Good luck and best regards.
2 days ago
It will probably take some time to find the right balance. For what it's worth, looking at my (offline) changelog my current Meren decklist is on its 30th iteration. Some of those changes were small (a card or two) and some were large (10-15+ cards), but in stax/control it's all about how they work together and it can take some time to get the recipe right!
Re: Icy Manipulator - it's always seemed a little expensive up-front to me. Do you usually use it against creatures? What about something like Meekstone or Ensnaring Bridge instead? Unfortunately Bridge is creeping up in price (hopefully it will be reprinted in the next Masters set). Meekstone doesn't stop attacks but dropping one at the right time (creatures already tapped) can be great for protecting you until you can solve / lock out the board, then destroy it yourself and swing in for the win. Alternatively there are more removal options like Lignify which solve Commanders extremely well (effectively removal which doesn't even let them be recasted)
Also, keep in mind that there are just some games you can't do anything about - so always try to get a few games in before you draw any major conclusions. For example, if you don't see mana dorks in a single game, it may just be luck of the draw - but if you're consistently not seeing them early enough across many games, chances are you might need to up your dork count to hit the consistency you're looking for.
6 days ago
A couple of options to consider:
- Blind Obedience is really good in multiplayer. Daxos tends to take a bit to get off the ground, so slowing down your opponents and being able to stack up some extra life can be really valuable. -
- You have a lot of ways to spend mana other than spells, so Eidolon of Rhetoric and/or Rule of Law can really help you outvalue your opponents.
- You might consider one more way to protect Daxos. Flickering Ward could be a good option, especially with Serra's Sanctum to generate tons of white mana.
- I like Cessation / Cage of Hands as options for shutting down enemy commanders. Since Daxos tends to go long, removals are actually a bit weak for commander control.
- Skybind is one of my favorite Daxos tech cards. Both Daxos and Heliod can make enchantments at instant speed, which allows Skybind to act as more or less a repeatable Maze of Ith.
In terms of possible cuts:
- Athreos seems marginal. The deck is creature light and people will happily pay for anything that's actually relevant enough.
- It doesn't look like you have a lot of ways to abuse Faith's Reward. It'd really require the right set of circumstances to give 4 mana in value.
- You have a lot of ways to spend life, but not a lot of ways to recoup it. Corpse Augur is probably your least good way of spending life for cards and can probably safely go.
- Citadel Siege is a possibility. It locks down some problem cards, but maybe it could go if you went for something like Cage or Skybind?
- Diabolic Revelation may not end up being amazing. I find that Daxos almost always has something to do with mana, so expensive tutors (even if they can get multiple cards) can end up being somewhat dead. It may be good, but I'd recommend keeping an eye on it.
6 days ago
A tapped Mirri and a Maze of Ith is a combat lockdown.
1 week ago
Maze of Ith is a good utility land if you are looking for some.
1 week ago
Someone beat me to it by a moment. Oops.
Might I suggest Tooth and Nail for two creature tutor plus cheat onto battlefield. Also, Regal Force for card draw. And sine you have a boatload of mana dorks, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can turn them into threats once he e outlived their usefulness.
Simple things to upgrade your mana for more utility like Reliquary Tower, Maze of Ith, Mosswort Bridge, Ghost Quarter, Nephalia Academy, and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Re awesome and relatively inexpensive.
1 week ago
I'd say go with the Sun Droplet over the Compass if only because you could always put in Maze of Ith assuming it's not over budget. The other option would be to run the latter two together for consistency.
1 week ago
Thanks for the suggestions demonicgrizzly, just have been a little busy with other things.
Prismatic Omen, is a sweet card but I think im going to have to pass on it, because $40 Canadian ($32 US) is rather a lot considering I got a bunch of other decks that im working on right now too, I might consider it later. I also happen to have a 5 color Sliver Overlord edh deck and so I will definitely have a use for one of these though at some point. In terms of color fixing for my decks, right now really I have been prioritizing acquiring all of the fetches/shocks for multiple decks above pretty much everything.
Anyways I probably will see about finding a spot for Maze of Ith, I just wish I could find out already the direction I want this deck to go. Whether it be strictly super friends, strictly +1/+1 synergies, or stay in its current form that is a bit of both.
Void Stalker is a neat card, but I think im more inclined to go with Spike Weaver if I was to include something like this in here first. Although I will keep this one in mind too if I happen to change my mind and want more such effects.
Again, thanks for taking a look at this deck and offering some suggestions!