|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Realms (V12)||Mythic Rare|
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Rare|
|The Dark (DRK)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Maze of Ith
: Untap target attacking creature. Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to and dealt by that creature this turn.
|Have (5)||lorddarkstar , Brutus1 , Luckeyawesome , , jecder|
|Want (9)||ryannnnm , metalmustaine , Flamadiddle , Txport , Halbrech , Greidy , kellygene , paulcalypse , ichliebedland|
Maze of Ith Discussion
19 hours ago
I quite like your version of the deck as well. Other than the cards you've already suggested me, there are a few cards in here I might add to my own especially that juicy Stunning Reversal .
As for the cards I would suggest you, I think you should try adding Glacial Chasm as it can help you survive early game (though it doesn't synergize well with Geode Golem ) as well as Maze of Ith for the same purpose.
Bojuka Bog is a good pick to counter decks that are highly dependant on their graveyard.
If you end up adding multiple non-Swamp lands, I really suggest Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth as well as a way to try fetching it.
Chainer, Dementia could be really good if well used, but sadly Doom Whisperer is also a Nightmare so those cards don't synergize that well. Unless you have a way to protect the Chainer, then they'll synergize well.
I don't know if Exquisite Blood is out of your budget, but it's a really good lifegain card. And it stacks with lifelink so buffing a lifelink creature with Unspeakable Symbol can make it really hard for your opponent to deal with that much lifegain.
1 week ago
@ Boomcat12B thank you so much! It's great reading all those suggestions. It's great going through your deck too!
Just to be sure, is this how the little combo works: When the Thespian's Stage becomes a copy of the Dark Depths one of them will go to the graveyard because they'll both be Legendary, right? And when it's gone to the graveyard it's counters will be removed.
@ ive-been-degaussed I'm not a lot into infinite combo's but this one I don't really understand. If I attack with my Argothian Elder and use the Maze of Ith to untap it. Than I can use tap the Elder to untap the Maze of Ith + one other land. But as my declare attacker step is already gone I cannot repeat doing this, can I?
Thanks both for your comments!!
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
This deck seems to suffer from a lack of payoff cards. Legacy lands has Tabernacle for go-wide decks, Maze of Ith for individual attackers, Wasteland to pressure the opponent, the Punishing Fire value engine, and of course Dark Depths to actually win the game. It also has Crop Rotation to find the lands it needs and Exploration to play their hand quickly. This deck doesn't really have any of those solid incentives to play a lands deck.
What if modern lands needs a different style of payoff cards? Could the best modern lands deck be a Gifts Ungiven deck? The respective styles of Lands and Gifts are super similar. And when not grabbing Unburial Rites , Gifts is really good at grabbing value packages - such as Raven's Crime + Life from the Loam + 2 utility lands, or Academy Ruins and Engineered Explosives .
Can 5 color gifts lands be a deck? Or maybe only 4 color without white? I think I might start brewing it.
2 weeks ago
Recently more edh videos on Youtube have emerged regarding The First Sliver , however they have not come very close to a victory. Infact, most games I've watched see the deck being the first to be killed. I don't believe that will happen in the case of this deck, being much faster. The decks on Youtube play much more non-creature spells and low cmc non-slivers which end the cascade chain. I personally enjoy my more sliver-centric, pseudo-power build.
In my opinion, if you want to play The First Sliver you might as well be abusing the cascade ability, otherwise other sliver commanders, such as Sliver Overlord or even Morophon, the Boundless are much better. We're not playing The First Sliver to go slow. I've had wins in my semi-competitive meta with this deck, purely because of the sheer overwhelming nature of the deck.
In saying this, I am currently experimenting with these cards:
- Maelstrom Nexus (see comment #8)
- Living End (see comment #8)
- Wheel of Fate (to cascade into for free and refill the hand)
- Memorial to Folly (recursion that won't be accidentally hit)
- Mortuary Mire (recursion that won't be accidentally hit)
- Strip Mine (to stop Maze of Ith effects)
- Diffusion Sliver (see guide)
- Mirari's Wake (see guide)
- Blasphemous Act + Spiteful Sliver Combo (see guide)
- and tutors or potentially more ways to stack the top of our library for consistent cascades (e.g. Sensei's Divining Top , Sylvan Library and Scroll Rack )
- as well as ramp/rocks to ensure consistency as well as enough mana in the late game
Some weaker slivers I MIGHT get rid of:
- Mesmeric Sliver (although it can screw with an opponents deck, it doesn't do much for the board or the opponents hand; in a pinch it can be not so good)
- Lavabelly Sliver (with Purphoros, God of the Forge it can do wonders. Without, one damage and one life per sliver is quite lack lustre, especially when you already have lords to pump +1/1, equaling to one damage PER TURN)
- Shapesharer (3 mana is actually quite expensive to activate an ability in this deck. And the ability of Shapesharer only lasts until your next turn. Very few situations have I found its copy ability to be useful in the deck, at best copying a small pump ability. Even when copying the opponents creatures, I have found very few relevant ones. Perhaps the right situations haven't come up yet, so I'm still placing hopes on this card)
Due to the amount of cards I need to move around and test (as you can see above), the next update might be in a while. I want to do a big update soon, providing as accurate information as possible on how these cards do. Hopefully, if you're interested, you can test with me and provide suggestions!
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Maze of Ith occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.45%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.08%
RBW (Mardu): 0.43%