|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
You may play target instant or sorcery card in an opponent's graveyard without paying its mana cost.
Memory Plunder Discussion
9 hours ago
REMOVE: Memory Plunder , 2 lands, Sword of the Animist , Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon , Rune-Scarred Demon , Marang River Prowler , Temporal Trespass , Jace, Unraveler of Secrets , Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver , Mask of Riddles , Necropolis Regent , Urgoros, the Empty One , Etrata, the Silencer , Drowned Secrets , Notion Rain , Benthic Infiltrator
1 day ago
Hey MagicalHacker. Thanks for taking the time and sharing some tips! I actually had a look at your deck in action as one of the sources for inspiration. Great stuff!
Before going over your suggestions, do you have any tips on what to cut :)? Would be nice to also hear your view on what cards you think I shouldn't run.
This is how I currently evaluate the cards you mentioned:
- Animate Dead , Necromancy & Reanimate : I like these cards, but I found the other graveyard recursion cards to be more appealing. I prioritized runing cards that can get me multiple creatures from the grave over one-shot effects. I might get Reanimate back in the list someday just because of the nostalgia factor.
- Aura Thief , Steal Artifact & Steal Enchantment : I don't like that these cards are narrow in application. I prefer to have card with a lot of options over more efficient ones in a control deck like this. Aura thief is really strong, but I am not running ways to get it to the grave reliably (like a sac outlet). That is why I ended u cutting it.
- Control Magic & Dream Leash : Great options if I get some more room for more steal effects. Dream leash is really strong. However, I prefer the other 5-drops I'm running atm, and I want to keep my curve nice and smooth.
- Geth, Lord of the Vault : love this card. However, I ended up cutting it for curve considerations.
- Grave Betrayal & Mind's Dilation : Both cards I like and have been in decks before. However, they are both do-nothing-enchantments for 7 mana. I like the 7-drops I ended up including better (and again, I want to keep a smooth curve).
- Memory Plunder : I don't like this card. It's mana cost is quite prohibitive with all the colored mana and only gets back 1 card. I like Spelltwine better. I might undervalue the fact that it's an instant, but with my playstyle I'm not expecting to hold up 4 mana with this deck.
- Mimic Vat : Fun card, but more at home in an arsticrats-style deck imo. It doesn't have additional synergy with what the deck is doing as I run very few ways to kill creatures.
- Agent of Treachery & Gilded Drake : I already run this duo in my Roon deck, where they are way more busted than in Silumgar. And I prefer to keep my decks distinct if possible.
- Mass Manipulation : Cool card and one I'd like to try out sometime :). Will see if I can acquire one.
- Commandeer : A card I would love to run, but quite pricey, and I haven't gotten around to acquire it yet.
- Pendant of Prosperity : A lovely trinket to steel back. I will give this card some thought :).
Again, thanks for checking out the deck!
GL & HF,
1 day ago
Comparing my Silumgar deck to yours, they are about half or more different (including lands), but I wanted to point out eighteen cards I think you should consider adding, nine of which are already on your maybeboard:
Animate Dead , Aura Thief , Control Magic , Geth, Lord of the Vault , Grave Betrayal , Memory Plunder , Mimic Vat , Mind's Dilation , and Steal Artifact should move into the mainboard from the maybeboard.
Agent of Treachery , Commandeer , Dream Leash , Gilded Drake , Mass Manipulation , Necromancy , Pendant of Prosperity , Reanimate , and Steal Enchantment should skip the maybeboard and go straight to the mainboard.
These are simply my suggestions! If you are unsure of if these cards are as good as I say they are, check out my deck at The Bloodhall Season 1 - Dragonlord Silumgar and you can see how the deck plays in videos in its description.
2 weeks ago
Creature - Insect
Haste, trample, first strike
Whenever a creature blocking or blocked by Stickbreaker Stagbeetle dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Stickbreaker Stagbeetle.
1 / 1
I've always had a problem with cards like Covetous Urge and Memory Plunder . I just can't make them work in decks... there's almost no synergy in casting opponents' sorceries and instants because usually those sorcs and insts are synergized with their deck and colors, not with mine. And it isn't like taking over an opponent's creature, because Traitorous Blood effects can be highly synergistic... if you're building it, you can usually be happy taking over any creature controlled by opponents (because you can swing with it, force them into an unfavorable block and 2-for-1 them, or sacrifice it to your own effects).
Anyway... the next challenge is to make these stolen sorcery/instant effects actually synergizable, if that makes sense. Make someone want to build a deck around stealing opponents' sorcs and insts.
2 weeks ago
Boza and how would a WUBRG colored Prismot that only truly benefits 2 colors be less obscure about what's in your deck than a variant that have you choose your colors at the start of the game?
The main problem I think with the idea of having you select his color identity and tie your deck limitations to the start of the game, is that there's no rules that actually stop you from having Dimir in the 99 and name Boros as you start the game.
The rules on Prismot then states your deck is essentially illegal - but those rules are based on the deck building portion of the format - not the game itself.
Without an actual color identity at the time of deck building, it is actually illegal to put anything but colorless cards into your 99.
In short: I think what OP is going for will be a mess of rules and there is a relatively simple fix with the side casualty that you can actually put any color spells into the deck but only have Prismot benefit two of them.
If you really want to be locking it down into two colors, I guess you could have him say:
"At the beginning of the game, if Prismot is your Commander, choose two colors. Prismot is those colors and you cannot play cards you own with a color identity not chosen this way, except for colorless cards, for the rest of the game."
This way it doesn't make your deck illegal if you have cards outside the chosen colors, but it disables the ability to explicitly play/cast them. You could effectively still cheat those cards out if you don't cast them but then you need to jump through hoops to go there. I included "cards you own" to allow the use of Memory Plunder on a non / spell.
However this templating is weird and if you include him in the 99, then you're stuck with a load of text that has no meaning - which usually is a no-no for WotC. They allow a certain amount of "only relevant as commander" for specific legendaries like Derevi, Empyrial Tactician but so far they don't allow the majority of the card's effect go to waste if not the commander.
1 month ago
2 months ago
king-saproling hello, thanks for the comment! I appreciate your input, and here's how things break down for me on the recommended cards. Swarm Intelligence + Thousand-Year Storm ended up being too slow mana wise, as they were both in the very early builds of this deck. The electromancer and familiar kind of fell in the same boat, as the reduction is nice but the creatures in the deck don't tend to stay long term as I focus even more on slinging spells. Mizzix of the Izmagnus however I just don't like to play outside of the command zone, since its either better to run more than one card that cares about experience counters or to not rely on them at all. Jace's Sanctum didn't make the cut for the same reason as the electromancer, Memory Plunder was in an earlier build as well, and while I like the card it can only hit cards in opponents grave, which can be rough. The devils, vengeance and spellseeker are just not something I want in this deck, as the first is too slow, the second can be irrelevant in my meta, and the last is too limited for me. Spark Double is a card on my to get list, and Muddle the Mixture got cut due to the fact that I trimmed counterspells, and as a transmute effect... I would rather just cast an actual tutor, be able to get anything, and above all have a repeatable spell without extra steps. thanks for your input!
Memory Plunder occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%