|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Curse of the Swine
Exile X target creatures. For each creature exiled this way, its controller puts a 2/2 green boar creature token onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Latest as Commander
Curse of the Swine Discussion
2 days ago
- Because spellslinger decks don't run that many creatures, you're probably going to need a few more board wipes. Perhaps Cyclonic Rift (don't hate me), Evacuation , Descent of the Dragons , Star of Extinction , or Volcanic Vision .
- If you're going to run cards like Everflowing Chalice , Hedron Archive , Mind Stone , and Temple of the False God , I would suggest running more X-spells. Cards such as Curse of the Swine , Molten Disaster , Starstorm , Epic Experiment , and Jaya's Immolating Inferno would give you more board wipe options, as well as explosive izzet shinanigans.
- Sentinel Tower is really only worth it if you was to storm out.
- I wouldn't recommend running Psychosis Crawler unless you want to focus on card draw. Same goes for Windfall . In this deck, Windfall does cause peripheral effect to occur, such as Locus God or Niv-Mizzet triggers. You would need to be playing against a deck with a lot of card draw, otherwise you might only be helping your opponents since you will probably be drawing more than them. I see that you have some cards with triggers bases on card draw, but since they are not your commander, there is no guarantee you will see them during a game.
- Overall, it seems like you are a little stuck between wheel, storm, and spellslinging. Personally, I think Jori En is bested suited for spellslinging. Baby's first Izzet deck. I'm so proud of you!
1 week ago
I would second the comment about adding more removal. Anguished Unmaking exiles any nonland permanent. Too much stuff keeps coming back from the dead in this format. I actually like Curse of the Swine because it exiles multiple creatures. Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile see lot of play in EDH for a reason. Boardwipes like Akroma's Vengeance , Fumigate and good old Wrath of God are pretty affordable and do good work.
For a first time EDH deck your land count is pretty good though I agree with Twelve that 38 lands are probably right for a 4.30 avg CMC deck. You also have a good amount of artifact ramp that I've seen other initial EDH decks skimp on.
2 weeks ago
Hi there, I'm from the advertise your commander thread.
I used to have a Nin, the Pain Artist deck based on stealing and copying your opponents stuff. I always liked to win using your opponents cards, so its nice to see a deck with a similar theme.
I think your current build has a lot of room for optimization as there are many cards that have strictly or subjectively better counterparts. These are some suggestions for cards I would replace and what with:
Other cards that fit the theme of the deck: Clone, Stunt Double, Phyrexian Metamorph, Clever Impersonator, Roil Elemental, Vesuvan Doppelganger, Cackling Counterpart & Rite of Replication (Non budget: Bribery & Gilded Drake)
I would probably drop the flicker subtheme you currently have because you dont run a lot of creatures and go down a few lands (37 should be fine) in favor of more draw (Rhystic Study & Mystic Remora are nice). Also, one of the good things about black is the access to tutors. By adding tutors you increase the consistency of your deck, as they effectively serve as an extra copy of all the other cards in your deck. Lim-Dul's Vault, Beseech the Queen and Dark Petition are some good relatively cheap ones. (If you want to invest a bit of money in it, Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor are great.)
I hope this helps and good luck with deckbuilding!
PS. Dont forget to comment on the previously posted deck in the 'advertise your commander deck' thread. ;)
3 weeks ago
@Osbert Thank You very much for Your deep study on my deck. Here are my anwsers:
- I've been using Crystal Shard, Erratic Portal some time ago and I wasn't happy with that. Just imagine that You cascade in one of these instead of some big nasty creature - impact on the board is too small. I don't need cut cost of casting Commander thanks to many ramp cards, also if Maelstrom Wanderer is still on the board then it's time to cast creatures from hand, they will have haste so impact is good enough (in other circumstances creature cards left at hand would be dead cards because most of time You cast Commander only).
- About making top deck stronger there are two things that prevent me from putting cards You listed (well, there is third reason - I don't have most of these:) ). First is that I really like randomness of cascades (it's still limited by card selection). Second is just the same like with bouncing cards - cascading into them will make one cast of commander weaker. Still there is Sensei's Divining Top for top decking, which is also a lifesaver when You need next land drop and I won't cut it out.
- I run Lurking Predators only - because that card doesn't need mana to activate (most of times Commander eat almost all of mana) and it's working just fine without any help. Sometimes it's better to leave land on top deck (if more mana is needed for next cast from command zone), sometimes You are already overextended and expect wrath effect spell from others.
- Well Oath of Druids is tempting because it could make early game more than just ramping. Still these creatures won't have haste (and my ETB effects won't change much) and opponents can also use Oath's effect to put creatures from their decks making more blockers, ramp or even combo. I need to see that card in action because now I can't predict if it will make advantage or disadvantage.
- There isn't too much standard spot removal besides of Beast Within (already is in deck) and Pongify which is very cheap (only one blue mana). Also there are some kind of removals: Inferno Titan, Phyrexian Ingester, Terastodon, Tyrant's Familiar, Primal Command, Warstorm Surge (plus creatures entering board). If that's not enough AOE cards will try to compensate. I will keep in mind Krosan Grip and Reality Shift (didn't know second card, it's really nice when facing indestructible creatures)). But Wave of Vitriol can hit me also and probably will wait long on hand. Song of the Dryads still can be removed and threat would return.
- From these Mystic Confluence and Cryptic Command most valuable are abilities that make Commander and creatures more evasive (this deck doesn't need more card draw) and of course occasional counterspelling. But, so far, evasion from creatures, lands and some spot or AOE removals were just enough to deal damage (especially overloaded Cyclonic Rift).
- Already got Mystical Tutor in this deck. And yes - it's great. It can go for Tooth and Nail or Cyclonic Rift, even when facing mana screw I sometimes use it for ramp spell. Worldly Tutor could make more control over deck (or top decking) but still I prefer to cast Commander than casting single creature and like that randomness.
- About strange cards in my deck: Burnished Hart well I could change it for something better - can You give me some ideas (especially cards that put 2 lands)? Ixidron - You don't have to cast card that fit cascade requirements (they can go to the bottom of library) so it won't hurt controlled creatures, also Commander comes into play AFTER cascades resolve (he is on the stack until then) so it will never hurt him. This card can hit very hard other commanders as they won't go to command zone. It's weakness is that it won't affect tokens but I take that risk. Curse of the Swine has exile effect (which is quite rare in RUG) and it can be single or multi target I keep it for that versality (even if it does not have synergy with Commander). Knowledge Exploitation is for 7 mana so it can be cascaded for free, also I have enough mana to cast it from hand. Best case scenario is when it hits with first cascade, then You can go for some funny card from opponent deck (some kind of wrath effect) and then cast creature from second cascade - it will result in clear board and then Maelstrom Wanderer and that other creature will come.
3 weeks ago
Really sorry for the double post but I forgot to mention a few things.... Where is your spot removal because one Ethersworn Canonist or Curse of Exhaustion makes you a very sad person. I'd run Beast Within, Song of the Dryads, Krosan Grip, Reality Shift, and maybe even Wave of Vitriol.
Cards I'm confused why you are playing: Burnished Hart (Terrible ramp when compared to green ramp), Ixidron (Humilities your big value cards), Curse of the Swine (Non-bo with cascade), and Knowledge Exploitation (No Rogues in deck).
4 weeks ago
From a gameplay and mechanic stand point having cards that permanently change another card without leaving a physical representation of that change are terrible from a gameplay perspective. That’s why these destroy and replacement cards such as Beast Within or Curse of the Swine destroy and exile over permanently changing text on a card. It is perfectly within the game designers right to bend or break color pie (increadibly sparingly in these cases) if it means ensuring better gameplay. On another note just as nothing says black (Ulcerate), white (Smite the Monstrous), or red (Lightning Bolt) have to have unconditional removal for all creatures. Green and blue also can have removal if it’s in the spirtit of the color’s color pie philosophy that it is in. Just as the examples of black, white, and red removal are conditional but adhere to their respective color’s philosophy.
It’s also important that all colors have access to limited answers to other types of cards over sweepingly universal answers or no answers at all if it means “breaking” the color pie. This creates interesting games of magic, rewards card selection, and keeps the game healthy.
This lays out an argument for both the successful game design implementation and adherence to the color pie philosophy for Incongruity.