Back:Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||None|
Combos Browse all
Search for Azcanta
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. You may put it into your graveyard. Then if you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, you may transform Search for Azcanta.
Search for Azcanta Discussion
4 days ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
1 week ago
Yo , since I posted on the thread earlier. I'll give ya some recommendations, have you ever considered using Mystic Remora or Rhystic Study and what are your thoughts on those? Or at the same time Necropotence and/or Search for Azcanta Flip for more card advantage engines?
1 week ago
1 week ago
The shell of your deck looks pretty solid. Just some thoughts but what do you think about the following:
2 weeks ago
I've played this deck a good number of times, against a wide variety of decks, and a couple of cards you have in your list I've had issues running. Electrolyze has been subpar for me. Creatures with ETB's need countered more often then removed, and path/bolt do just fine for when you can't counter. Also, it doesn't really kill much in my experience. It could be good enough side board if you normally run into a lot of lingering souls decks. Sphinx's Revelation is a little too greedy for my taste. The possible blowout of a late game rev is slim when you have to spend 6 on drawing 3. Hitting at least six lands while not having to spend any on your opponent's turn seems highly unlikely. I would let your Secure the Wastes be your topout card. So my suggestion is to just be playing the 4th Logic Knot and maybe some early set up draw spells when turn 1 seems a little empty. LIke your choice of Opt or Serum Visions . Also, a litte cute tech is Serum Visions while your Search for Azcanta Flip is out for easy ditching of cards you don't need
2 weeks ago
This deck sort of looks like it has consistency issues. You're only running 5 polymorph effects, 6 ways to make a creature to polymorph, and 8 cantrips (I don't really count Remand ). I guess you also have Search for Azcanta Flip, and you can flashback Faithless Looting , but one Serum Visions ? One Polymorph ? Here's how I would build this deck:
First, we go RUG. 2x Khalni Garden . 4x Sprout Swarm and 4x Sprout instead of Hordeling Outburst and Spawning Breath . 2x See Beyond , 4x Serum Visions . Ditch the Search for Azcanta Flip, Rune Snag , and Remand . Shave an Izzet Charm , a Faithless Looting , and a Lightning Bolt for 3 more Polymorph s.
You're now playing 10 polymorph-able cards instead of 6, 8 polymorph effects instead of 5, and 12 cantrips, as before. Sure, you have fewer counterspells, but Remand is not a good card no matter what people say, and Rune Snag isn't that great, either. You can even buyback Sprout Swarm if you just need to keep chump-blocking.
Is Indomitable Creativity going to be hard to cast in a 3-color deck? No, this is modern--you can play anything you want. Green would also give you access to some better sideboard options, like being able to flashback Ancient Grudge .
On an unrelated note, I feel like a deck like this could actually benefit from running an Electrodominance package that included Restore Balance due to not playing literally any creatures beyond one, but there just isn't any room for it, sadly. Still, though...you could play Wheel of Fate to pitch an emrakul you drew...you could play Ancestral Vision ...the possibilities are limitless, really.
3 weeks ago
54 out of 100 foils, over half way there! People really shouldn't do this... lol.
I have some additional changes I'm thinking about too.
Amaranthine Wall has literally never come up in any game. I easily have over a hundred games with this deck... Indestructible just gets powered out by flicker unless I can make everything I have indestructible. Not sure what to replace it with...
Hoard-Smelter Dragon is one I am much more on the fence about but I'm thinking Viashino Heretic would be better for this deck. Kind of a toss up between the two... one takes more mana but the other requires tapping.
1 month ago
Try pairing card selection with your mill to get more value out of those spots. Fact or Fiction , Search for Azcanta Flip, Sphinx of Uthuun , Patient Rebuilding , Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip, Forbidden Alchemy , Extract from Darkness , Taigam, Sidisi's Hand , Tunnel Vision , and Intuition , can help with that.
Search for Azcanta occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.53%
All decks: 0.26%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%