Back:Azcanta, the Sunken Ruin
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||None|
Combos Browse all
Search for Azcanta
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library. You may put it into your graveyard. Then if you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, you may transform Search for Azcanta.
Search for Azcanta Discussion
1 day ago
I'm trying to put the finishing touches on this deck.
SCORE: 1 | 123 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
It's going for Modern semi-competitive, and budget isn't a major concern. (The mega-money cards don't seem to help this deck much, though.) Right now, it has the potential to establish on turn 3, and often gets out a finishing threat by turn 4. I'm not satisfied with its reliability, though; it can also sit around getting nothing done until turn 6-7.
I'm looking for cheap permanents that can consistently fill the graveyard. Right now, I have Search for Azcanta Flip and Sliversmith , but is there anything better for this deck? Search for Azcanta Flip is off-color, and Sliversmith isn't that impressive.
If you have any other thoughts about other card choices, please put them out there, too.
1 day ago
About those of your suggestions. I have been testing Narset, Parter of Veils by cutting Coercive Portal and she has been amazing and is here to stay but I don't know what is right to cut. I have also been testing Treasure Cruise by cutting Tasigur, the Golden Fang because Karakas has been showing its head.
And now to your maybeboard.
- First is that I would switch Liliana of the Veil because in a controlling deck Liliana, the Last Hope is just amazing because she makes combat unbearable for opponents + she is card advantage and win condition.
- I haven't had good time with Chart a Course and I feel like that it is more tempo card and I would replace it with Gitaxian Probe
- Search for Azcanta Flip is just too good not to play. I would cut Ashiok, Dream Render because I tested her in 2 tournaments and I drew her 8 times and never wanted to play her even on to empty field.
- I would change Liliana's Triumph to Collective Brutality because there aren't many creatures that you need to kill with sacrifice (True name, Mirran Crusader are the biggest)
- For some reason I have had hard time finding enough cards in graveyard to support 3 big delve creatures + tarmo + azcanta so I would suggest trying to cut Tasigur, the Golden Fang to Scavenging Ooze
- This may be only personal preference but I don't like Pernicious Deed in sultai for some reason and I would suggest giving change to Courser of Kruphix or Spellseeker
- For your manabase I would suggest adding more colored lands like fast lands Blooming Marsh Botanical Sanctum Darkslick Shores and cutting Volrath's Stronghold , Temple of Mystery and then either one of these Bojuka Bog or Sunken Hollow and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for Tectonic Edge . Personally I wouldn't even play Field of Ruin but it can fix and is good enough
- I wouldn't add Coiling Oracle any more because Modern Horizons is bringing us Ice-Fang Coatl that is just sadly supreme version of Oracle (crying because it is my pet card)
- Sakura-Tribe Elder , Shriekmaw and Recurring Nightmare are more rock like strategy and don't fit in + Nightmare is shit if you don't have enough creatures
- I would suggest to test Glen Elendra Archmage and Catacomb Sifter depending what your meta is like. Oh and Eldritch Evolution is extremely powerful card but I am not sure of it because you don't have as many creatures.
Otherwise your deck seems solid more controlling sultai that will win games.
I hope that I answered your question well enough. Also remember that these are just suggestions and not absolute do things and some cards may be better in different meta games.
2 days ago
I like about Careful Consideration that it can target myself. I run some cards, that are not very good in particular matchups. For example Damnation ist not good versus control. I like to have ways to get rid of those cards. Being instant is another huge plus for the Careful Consideration over many other similar cards. That said, Wheel and Deal is a cool idea, i try to find room for the card :)
@ God-Eternal Kefnet : I totally agree, but atm i do not run both 6/6 demons and in my opinion being 6/6 is better then being 4/5. Its for me similar to running Gurmag Angler over Tasigur, the Golden Fang . The added bonus is nice to have, but often not relevant.
Golgari Charm is a great out versus many problematic cards. -1/-1 gets rid of an opposing True-Name Nemesis , Sai, Master Thopterist token, Loyal Apprentice and its token, many other red aggro cards, Bitterblossom tokens (or Bitterblossom itself), buying a turn versus Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow , killing a lot of cats in Arahbo, Roar of the World , killing mana dorks, etc...
There are also a lot of enchantments that are very problematic for this deck. For Example: Blood Moon , Hall of Gemstone , Song of the Dryads , Opposition , Treachery , Stasis , Search for Azcanta Flip (getting out of the lock), Parallax Wave , etc...
I think i have never used the third mode :)
Nissa, Vital Force is a good answer to a planeswalker, blocks like a champ, closes games and is incredible fast on her ultimate. The -3 is sometimes also nice, but not as relevant as the other two modes.
4 days ago
So W/U Terminus control seems to be at about at its peak in terms of tuning, and unfortunately that means that, if you wanna make this deck optimized to its fullest, you’re going to need the fetches, Jace, etc. The nice thing about W/U control, though, is that there are a lot of free slots that you can play around with. Here’s my own list, which is reasonably close to the standard (save for a few one-ofs that I just like playing with): NOT A BREW
If you want a cheaper build that’s still decent, however, you’re not out of luck. You can build a slightly budget version of the “oops, all Gideons” control that was running around in 2017. You usually run a 2-1 split of Gideon of the Trials and Gideon Jura , which both keep you alive and eventually become win conditions. I would recommend purchasing a full playset of Field of Ruin , which both act as budget fetches and also keep you alive against Tron. I would also recommend some number of Mana Leak and Logic Knot , although admittedly Logic Knot is only at its best if you’re playing Search for Azcanta Flip, which is not a budget card. Instead of Snapcaster Mage , which is quite expensive but also is crucial to your strategy, you could run Mission Briefing , which lacks the body that makes Snapcaster so good but gives you a chance to set up your next draw. I would recommend looking at Raph Levy’s deck for PT Rivals of Ixalan. It’s not budget, but it gives you a frame of reference for what I’m talking about. If I can find a link to the decklist, I’ll link it later.
And...I think that’s about it! I don’t know if this was any help. Good luck, and may you draw all the salt from your opponent as you counter your way to victory!
1 week ago
I really like Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God and want to see him stay, so I suggest taking out some of the cards that really want a color that is not black, such as Cryptic Command , Vendilion Clique , and Sweltering Suns .
The counter spells and instant speed interaction like Vendilion Clique and Countersquall adds something to the deck, but shouldn't be the focus of it. Instead I think Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God would do best in a sort of Grixis-that-feels-like-Jund list that wants to make sure the coast is clear with removal and discard before slamming an unstoppable threat and winning.
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet - great all around threat which works well with removal and gets better as the game goes on.
- Liliana of the Veil - runs down your opponents' resources.
- Gurmag Angler - "cheap" threat
- Death's Shadow - most shadow decks are very aggressive, but as control decks run low on life generally, it may be a fine way to close out the game while freeing up the rest of your mana for removal or card draw. Would require some relatively major changes to the deck though.
- Cryptic Command - too blue intensive
- Vendilion Clique - too blue intensive and not a strong enough threat
- Jace, the Mind Sculptor - too blue intensive and cards like Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet would be better for the mana and as a threat
- Sweltering Suns - red intensive, but also objectively worse than Anger of the Gods in a Arclight Phoenix and Bloodghast meta.
- Countersquall - Mana Leak should probably be your only counter as life doesn't really matter for you and there are many creature heavy decks running around, but also it just doesn't fit with the discard/removal + slam a threat game plan.
- Opt - blue card draw and selection is one of the biggest reasons to play blue, and I think Opt and Serum Visions would be good for smoothing out your mana, curve, and finding the answers you need.
- Angrath's Rampage - good removal that people won't expect
- Kolaghan's Command - 2 for 1
- Search for Azcanta Flip - good blue card advantage engine
- Snapcaster Mage - just good value
- Terminate - good removal
1 week ago
1 week ago
Thank you for your suggestion!
Planewide Celebration is only a 2 off in this deck and I had it never stuck in my hand and it is absolutley insane if it resolves. By the way, you basically have Nissa on T3 in this deck if you ramp successfully on T1 and T2 with Arboreal Grazer and Growth Spiral . And on T4 if you cast Planewide Celebration you can immediatly ultimate nissa.
Karn's Bastion is also only a 2 off and is easily affordable cause of Nissa's double up on your forests. It is an absolute beast combat trick cause you can activate it instant speed between blocker and damage step. With 2 vigilant forests attacking and your mana being tapped out beside bastion nobody expects it and forgets the dobule up and you just activate it after blockers are declared. I have won several games with this and the opponent shamescoops.
Pelt Collector is sadly too hard to fit in but it is a good suggestion!
Sylvan Awakening is not necessary, because you get indestructability on your lands with Nissa's ultimate anyway and most of the time you win with a huge Krasis one hit or they just scoop. It would be devastiting to run into a Settle the Wreckage too.
All I can say is that trust and try this list and you will see that how super consistant you get Nissa T3 or T4 and it is insanely strong.
1 week ago
I don't like the cost of Karn's Bastion effect.
Something like Pelt Collector could start collecting +1/+1 counters right off the bat and really benefit from later proliferate, but would be difficult to fit in.
Search for Azcanta occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.53%
All decks: 0.26%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%