|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragon's Maze (DGM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Sire Of Insanity
Creature — Demon
At the beginning of each end step, each player discards his or her hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (32)||redlegs_17 , switchkill65 , sirbar , Nebman227 , frederiklw , thetechzombie , Unlife , SpaghettiToastBook , Wolfebladeelite , Supremespeed , TheAlmostHero , Psycheretic , The_Munchkin , , twistedmage , Pelli , killstars , Mousemke , MoJoMiXuP , TheRealPeaches , rockleemyhero , philktoken8998 , brentkc49 , Spinalripper , firemind12 , vashaclarens , DaZlInG , PTsmitty , rakdos24 , jstn.mrrtt , golgarigirl , rainbowofdeath|
|Want (3)||Ariumlegion , Raknamadak , VampSlayer|
Sire Of Insanity Discussion
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Hey G0ht, I'm glad you like the list! I have an irrational hate for green myself which is why I went this route over blood pod myself.
So first off Mana Drain costing 2 blue is why it doesn't work great here imo. The deck might be able to cast it T1-2 in about half the games(something like Delay would be more reliable) as it is mana wise. Force of Will is kind of the same, just not enough blue cards in the deck to be able to cast it reliably.
I considered Shimmer Myr to help break parity with a T1 Rule of Law effect. I think it's worth trying, there have been a few games where being able to drop a rock/silas on other players turns would have been really nice.
The Aetherbombs are really great in my opinion. I've been able to frustrate more than few people by repeatedly casting either one. They can counter/delay some of the most popular combos/decks in cEDH.
Herald of Anguish might be worth trying, Sun Titan is also one I keep thinking should find a spot too. There are some decks where the discard could hurt though, you definitely don't want someone discarding a Worldgorger Dragon and combining off next turn for instance. Basicly it's no Sire Of Insanity unfortunately but it might work in the right meta.
I'll check out your deck for sure, thanks for the comment!
1 month ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
2 months ago
This is very much a hate deck. Zurgo Helm Smasher could be a good commander here.
2 months ago
Weird- my comment didn't save and it pulled your suggestion off.... I'm hoping this doesn't end up being a double-post. Regardless:
@Dtowns: Thanks for the love! I'm aiming for this deck to sit around the 75% point, and so far it seems to be doing a good job of that! It's threatening when left to do it's own thing (as any deck shoudl be), but doesn't play oppressively (Sire Of Insanity excluded).
@Rabid_Wombat: As someone who's played competitive reanimator-style decks in the past, I have no idea how I excluded Triskelion. Thanks a ton for pointing it out, and it will definitely be finding a slot in the deck
2 months ago
You're forgetting the best card in rakdos, Sire Of Insanity.
2 months ago
Looks like a neat idea--and a neat way to use Malfegor. There's a little problem, though. Yes, you're going to be making your opponents discard a lot of cards, but except for two creatures (Mindslicer and Sire Of Insanity) they're just drawing those cards back again. Those wheel effects just aren't going to get their hands empty. That means the punishers you have for small hands like Shrieking Affliction just aren't going to pull their weight. Consider instead punishing both sides of your wheel effect cards. Punish the discard with Waste Not and Liliana's Caress, then punish the card draw with things like Underworld Dreams, Spiteful Visions and many other similar effects.