|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi (DDP)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Scout
, : Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||salthegato , BillyBalverine , Reliva , damo_rox , electrolynx , Suns_Champion , NCN946 , Dimarx , teslacoil7992 , 7vennum7 , Laertesss , L4DMalus , theilluminaire , darthnuchi|
|Want (40)||Birchie84 , Gypsyhatten , mcslicks , Talonisnthavingit , Drizztleo , MTGhostCouncil , Chaere , CryAll , nocipher , chapohokage , killzoid23 , Emries , BorderlineEvil , Loading_Error , EcSamuel , rakdos24 , Georgez96 , king0fclubs , ray3003 , puppixx , jtwood , IsaacGreenseed , VampireArm , yuchunchang , CptnFab , CHAREDot9 , jdwork , affort , Seafoo , Magus_of_the_Brothels , finfan96 , ImmortalCancer , SamielTheDemon , Cunningcrow , MirrorMountain , jirrrrbs , Jcheese27 , SuperSoldier240 , icebeing , NightLight5454|
Frontier Guide Discussion
6 months ago
Without knowing your meta the recommendations I would make for cuts are Illusionist's Bracers (not many worth while activated abilities in your deck), Alpha Authority, Whispersilk Cloak (is spot removal rampant in your meta?), Ooze Garden, Seer's Sundial (you have access to much better draw options really), Turntimber Basilisk, Groundskeeper, Apocalypse Hydra, Traverse the Ulvenwald.
Creatures you play to ramp need to be efficient like Farhaven Elf or even Llanowar Elves instead of say Wild-Field Scarecrow who costs you with no lands in play to show for it or Frontier Guide who costs you before you even get anything out it.
Other creatures you play need to have powerful utility like Terastodon or Bane of Progress or some very good synergy with the commanders strategy like Stalking Vengeance or Garruk's Packleader do. You don't really need removal like Turntimber Basilisk or beaters like Apocalypse Hydra when Boundless Realms would be far more terrifying. Remember, land is not really a dead drop for you as you are likely get a 5/5 elemental token out it so every cut made could be an additional land.
Some possible interesting cards are Sandwurm Convergence (green moat with beat sticks included) and Hour of Promise (ANY TWO LANDS!), Rogue's Passage (make the lands work for you), Kessig Wolf Run (REALLY powerful.
All recommendations are below the $5 mark to try and keep it more budget friendly, anyways I hope this is helpful, also if you could post some information about your meta it could help people make better recommendations.
11 months ago
The deck looks super heavy, an average CMC of 4.5 is quite high. On top of that, your land count seems a bit low so all of your "play additional land" creatures won't perform at their peak.
I would take out Azusa, Lost but Seeking, Sakura-Tribe Scout and Skyshroud Ranger for Wood Elves, Farhaven Elf and Sakura-Tribe Elder. With those guys you will always get the ramp guaranteed, they bring themselves the land no matter how many lands you have in your hand.
Frontier Guide feels super slow to ramp, how many turns you will have to spare to get one land? you can't expect to have the seedborn muse everytime you draw this guy. this guy is perfect for a reactive deck that plays at the end of the turn, this deck isn't one of those. I would swap it for more creatures with "when enters the battlefield, ramp one land" (Ondu Giant, Solemn Simulacrum) or another option is Burnished Hart I actually use this guy a lot.
Yeva, Nature's Herald Flash to most of your stuff. Maybe even the Vedalken Orrery despite not being a creature. Your seedborn muse feels awfully underused, you don't have almost anything to do out of your turn.
High Market Sac outlet always good, send anger to graveyard.
Biggest and flashiest thing you can do with your deck is running Primal Surge. Your deck is already prepared, all your cards are permanents. You even have Dosan the Falling Leaf to failproof the play.
If you decide to try this, you may want to remove Bane of Progress and add City of Solitude because also negates activated abilities, you don't want your Anger to get exiled from graveyard or your Ripjaw Raptor getting damaged somehow.
11 months ago
I'm glad you liked my suggestions. I have a Omnath deck of my own (haven't uploaded it yet) where I have those cards but I'm reforming it because I can't make it work (that's why I was checking your deck), Omnath is expensive and it takes forever to star rolling even having tons of ramp. For me the problen is the deck being to heavy to move and passing the first turns doing nothing but taking lands out of the library and when I finally get to cast Omnath they kill it and now you have to get to 9 mana. Also I have big problems with flyers, I like your choices of Ulvenwald Hydra, Tornado Elemental and Cloudthresher, I was planning to run them myself.
Keep in mind that every meta is different, what works for me, won't necessarily work in your meta. From your deck I'd cut:
- Apocalypse Hydra I'd cut it because it only synergize with the Elemental Mastery otherwise is another expensive underperforming fatty, you can put the elemental mastery on any of your power 5 creatures and get a good value out of it.
- Golden Guardian Flip from among all the fliplands in IXL and RIX that's probably the one I like the least, you need mana to play and flip it and you also need a big creature of your own to kill it in a fight, when you flip it you create tokens that don't synergize with the deck so I don't really see the point of it in this deck. If you have it because it produces two mana IMO Dowsing Dagger Flip for a total of mana, you can flip it the same turn you play it and you can give the tokens to a player and attack another, on top of that the land produces 3, it's basically a cheaper situational Gilded Lotus
- Frontier Guide to ramp a single land feels awfuly slow and inefficient, I'd rather play any of the CMC4 ramp sorceries.
- Incandescent Soulstoke I don't think you can really win or deal serious damage by cheating a fatty for a turn and then losing it. Best thing you could throw at him is Molimo that depends on your lands, so in early game it's small in late game you can just cast it. The overal number of elementals in the deck is low. maybe something like Elvish Piper, Deathrender, Quicksilver Amulet or Champion of Rhonas instead?
- Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer It's big and it has trample, but CMC7 is too high but I don't think it earns his slot without cheating it onto the battlefield.
- Rubblehulk a cheap molimo without trample and Bloodrush which I guess not playing double strike you won't use that often
- Spawnwrithe if there was a good plan to make this guy and his copies deal combat damage to an opponet I would love it, but he will be lucky if he manages to do it once on his own.
- Mask of Avacyn unless you are protecting a low toughness guy Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves are better at protecting your guys. You can also use Steely Resolve to protect them all at the same time, but haste is king.
- Seer's Lantern This card is terribly weak. You are already ramping like a mad man and if you want artifacts Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo and Sol Ring are better mana boost. For utility you can try Conqueror's Galleon Flip (check if you can have combined power of 4 or greater the turn after consistently before including it).
- Whispersilk Cloak this card is way too subtle, you want to combo off and crush your opponents with your 5/5 elementals or you are going 4th of July and throw sparks everywhere. If you just want protection the boots or the greaves are better cards.
- Animist's Awakening you start the game with 40 lands in a 99 card deck which mean that at best you can only expect to find one land for every mana you spend on the . I say at best because you have many ramp spells that take lands from the library lowering your chances with this spell. Try instead Boundless Realms maybe you want to include more basic lands
- By Force Not a bad card but you may want to swap it for Vandalblast or Into the Core if there are indestructible artifacts in your meta.
- Clear the Land aren't there any more decent ramp spels with CMC3? find one that at leas don't give lands to your opponents Realms Uncharted don't ramp you but it will put lands in hand and graveyad, and not just basics.
- Creeping Renaissance I want to like this card, but every time I tryed it, it underperformed. In this deck you have few permanents of a single type except for lands and you don't dredge yourself to put stuff in your graveyard. You do have a lot of lands, but to get those lands better use Splendid Reclamation, World Shaper, Ramunap Excavator or Life from the Loam. For a big, more flexible recursion spell I like Seasons Past
- Growth Spasm replace for Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate. they are commander staples for a reason.
- Mizzium Mortars replace for Blasphemous Act kills your creatures but you can be sure that it will kill almost everything and with discount
- Pirate's Pillage allows you to cast Omnath on your 5th land but still i'd swap it for Harmonize another green EDH staple.
- Primal Growth good card but you won't have disposable creatures on your early game and as a late game card is weak. As I told you before Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate (whichever you didnt used before).
- Search for Tomorrow another good card that will perform better in other decks that really need to get to four mana ASAP, IMO some beefy ramp spell would be better for Omnath. Another one I like in this deck is Khalni Heart Expedition
- Evolutionary Leap swap for Ashnod's Altar, you want your sac outlets to be activated without mana and without tapping. Your opponents will probably start worrying as soon as the see this card as it is often used for infinite combos.
- Fires of Yavimaya for Anger. Mainly because you can cast it and put it on the battlefield to block in the early game and later you get the haste bonus. other good options for this end in this deck Ogre Battledriver and In the Web of War, same effect different formats.
- Rite of the Raging Storm I ended up removing this enchantment from the deck because it is slow and don't help me with my defense, it's for more aggressive decks. The elemental that pops and sacrifices is nice when you have the commander, but It doesent justify the 5 manas.
What I'm still missing in the deck.
- Buffs to your creatures Beastmaster Ascension, Forgotten Ancient
- Rampaging Baloths not elemental but those 4/4 bodies will prove useful later to get us some cards and defense
- More recursion Greenwarden of Murasa is a solid creature. The second much worse option is Paleoloth I've tried before in other decks but maybe it can be good with Omnath's tokens.
- Spitebellows Perfect in this deck
- Decimate simply an orgasm every time you cast it. The catch of this card is that you need to be able to target a different permanent of each type, but that is not a problem in multyplayer
- More defense from flyers, I run this funny card Chaosphere, some other cards I'm considering are Spidersilk Armor, Katabatic Winds, Silklash Spider, Sandwurm Convergence.
- Scour from Existence because with red and green you will have trouble with high toughness creatures and/or indestructibles. I'ts a high mana instant but it will resolve any problem you have
- Parallel Lives Because at the end of the day it is a token deck
- Traverse the Outlands a kick ass ramp spell if you manage to ramp four lands or more.
- Heroic Intervention the ultimate shielding card.
- Mana multiplication Mana Reflection, Zendikar Resurgent, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger this one is a bit to hard top lay if you don't cheat it into the battlefield. The low cost option has the problem of helping your opponents too Keeper of Progenitus
- Much more card draw Drumhunter, Mouth / Feed, Shamanic Revelation, Garruk's Packleader.
- Synergy with instant/sorceris Young Pyromancer, Primal Amulet Flip?
- Wayward Swordtooth?
For me the problem with this deck is you need to so many card slots and turns ramping that you don't do much more. It is quite spectacular when you manage to combo off, but it feels a bit like a one trick pony. so that is why I'm tinkering with my Omnath deck trying to find balance for my meta.
Good luck with your deck, I hope I have been of some help.
11 months ago
Bellowing Tanglewurm, Dosan the Falling Leaf, Elderscale Wurm, Frontier Guide, Hornet Nest, Indrik Stomphowler, Oak Street Innkeeper, Pathbreaker Ibex, Outland Colossus, Regal Behemoth, Seedguide Ash, Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, Somberwald Sage, Sylvan Ranger, Thragtusk, Terra Stomper
11 months ago
First off, I love the idea of trying to build a creature only deck. Seems like a lot of fun, but I see a couple problems with this build.
No ramp. You run so many lands, but no ramp. Take out like three of those lands and replace them with things like Wood Elves, and Farhaven Elf. Even some of the normally worse creatures like Ondu Giant might be better than running so many lands. Another option might be Frontier Guide since you are running many untap effects, and it could be a useful mana sink for those turns where you don't need to counter anything.
No draw. A control deck needs draw, otherwise it has no way of keeping up with the rest of the board, especially in a multiplayer format. Run things like Mulldrifter, Arcanis the Omnipotent or Jace's Archivist for good draw. Another great card that would be on theme for you would actually be Mercurial Chemister since he can draw you cards, and can also be used for control.
No visible win-con. Your best win con I can see is swinging with Frost Titan, which is not a very reliable win con. You need some big swingers who can act as finishers. I would recommend at least running a Pathbreaker Ibex, or something similar to help you win after you've soft-locked your opponents.
Those are the big problems I see with the deck. Now for a few card suggestions. The only card I can see being underwhelming is Guile. You only run 12 cards that counter spells, and with no draw to ensure you get multiple of them, Guile will turn into 8 mana for an 8/8; that is very underwhelming. The only three cards I would recommend are the praetors in your colors: Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, and Urabrask the Hidden. These three allow for a lot of control over your opponents, and would advance your strategy (plus the green and blue ones count towards the ramo and draw categories I was talking about)
Hope this helps, and enjoy your deck!
1 year ago
I love mono-green EDH and have worked on a few different builds.A few thoughts, Frontier Guide is painfully slow and I would cut it for Wood Elves which is great ramp and a body for utility. The cycling on Beneath the Sands is definitely appealing when it is a late game topdeck, but with your high CMC I would cut that for Nature's Lore as that is MUCH better in the early game when you actually want to ramp. Last change I would reccomend to the ramp package is to cut Nissa's Expedition for Skyshroud Claim, it is one CMC less and brings the lands into play untapped which can allow for some pretty explosive turns. For ramp and board presence I really like Elvish Mystic, Llanowar Elves, and the other one drop mana dorks. Looking at your list it seems that you will often be without any plays on the first two or three turns when building a small amount of advantage early can allow you to really pull ahead in the ensuing turns.
1 year ago
I played Rhys for a while and he is awesome. My deck was mostly green/white token good stuff so you can take or leave my advice. Some thoughts on your deck.
I found having 36 lands helped to really smooth out the mana flow.
If you are looking for some card ideas to consider.
Cryptolith Rite is just spectacular.
Illusionist's Bracers for another token doubling effect.
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice-life gain and token creation.
Blade of Selves has some interesting workings with Rhys. So the tokens created by the blade get exiled; however, the tokens that are copies of the blade of selves tokens do not get exiled. so if you attack with an elf the blade creates 1 copy for each additional opponent. Rhys copies those tokens (these tokens are not attacking)) and the copied tokens that are not attacking do not get exiled.
There is a way to go infinite with elfball but my group generally frowns on deliberate infinites so I don't know it.
i've also been considering the use of Settle the Wreckage as a way to fuel some major ramp by casting it on my own tokens.
Things to remove (always the hardest part)Anointer Priest-she's human, granted she can be turned into a token later but I just don't think its worth it.
Oracle of Nectars-you are not running a lifegain deck. Lifegain is ok if its incidental but i'm not sold on these in the deck.
Kazandu Tuskcaller - its a token generator yes but to get the tokens it just takes a long time. Jade Mage is an elf. granted it only produces 1/1s (and unfortunately not elves) but it is immediately useful and repeatable.
Skyshroud Elf - unfortunately i do not think this one is legal with Rhys as the commander. it has red in its color identity which doesn't go with Rhys.
Good luck. I wish I could tell you some more of the elf token generators but I just don't know enough of them to be helpful. There is a Rhys Elfball deck that has a ton of views on this site that has some really good ideas in it.
PS sorry for the really really long post.
1 year ago
Boundless Realms - so gross w/landfall
Zendikar Resurgent - both sides great
Lifecrafter's Bestiary - ditto
Greater Good - definitely want a sac outlet w/ Omnath
Abundance - already a busted effect, super silly with you're thinking about landfallHeroic Intervention - keep your stuff if need to