|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs Eldrazi (DDP)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Scout
, : Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Frontier Guide Discussion
1 day ago
I'm glad you liked my suggestions. I have a Omnath deck of my own (haven't uploaded it yet) where I have those cards but I'm reforming it because I can't make it work (that's why I was checking your deck), Omnath is expensive and it takes forever to star rolling even having tons of ramp. For me the problen is the deck being to heavy to move and passing the first turns doing nothing but taking lands out of the library and when I finally get to cast Omnath they kill it and now you have to get to 9 mana. Also I have big problems with flyers, I like your choices of Ulvenwald Hydra, Tornado Elemental and Cloudthresher, I was planning to run them myself.
Keep in mind that every meta is different, what works for me, won't necessarily work in your meta. From your deck I'd cut:
- Apocalypse Hydra I'd cut it because it only synergize with the Elemental Mastery otherwise is another expensive underperforming fatty, you can put the elemental mastery on any of your power 5 creatures and get a good value out of it.
- Golden Guardian Flip from among all the fliplands in IXL and RIX that's probably the one I like the least, you need mana to play and flip it and you also need a big creature of your own to kill it in a fight, when you flip it you create tokens that don't synergize with the deck so I don't really see the point of it in this deck. If you have it because it produces two mana IMO Dowsing Dagger Flip for a total of mana, you can flip it the same turn you play it and you can give the tokens to a player and attack another, on top of that the land produces 3, it's basically a cheaper situational Gilded Lotus
- Frontier Guide to ramp a single land feels awfuly slow and inefficient, I'd rather play any of the CMC4 ramp sorceries.
- Incandescent Soulstoke I don't think you can really win or deal serious damage by cheating a fatty for a turn and then losing it. Best thing you could throw at him is Molimo that depends on your lands, so in early game it's small in late game you can just cast it. The overal number of elementals in the deck is low. maybe something like Elvish Piper, Deathrender, Quicksilver Amulet or Champion of Rhonas instead?
- Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer It's big and it has trample, but CMC7 is too high but I don't think it earns his slot without cheating it onto the battlefield.
- Rubblehulk a cheap molimo without trample and Bloodrush which I guess not playing double strike you won't use that often
- Spawnwrithe if there was a good plan to make this guy and his copies deal combat damage to an opponet I would love it, but he will be lucky if he manages to do it once on his own.
- Mask of Avacyn unless you are protecting a low toughness guy Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves are better at protecting your guys. You can also use Steely Resolve to protect them all at the same time, but haste is king.
- Seer's Lantern This card is terribly weak. You are already ramping like a mad man and if you want artifacts Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo and Sol Ring are better mana boost. For utility you can try Conqueror's Galleon Flip (check if you can have combined power of 4 or greater the turn after consistently before including it).
- Whispersilk Cloak this card is way too subtle, you want to combo off and crush your opponents with your 5/5 elementals or you are going 4th of July and throw sparks everywhere. If you just want protection the boots or the greaves are better cards.
- Animist's Awakening you start the game with 40 lands in a 99 card deck which mean that at best you can only expect to find one land for every mana you spend on the . I say at best because you have many ramp spells that take lands from the library lowering your chances with this spell. Try instead Boundless Realms maybe you want to include more basic lands
- By Force Not a bad card but you may want to swap it for Vandalblast or Into the Core if there are indestructible artifacts in your meta.
- Clear the Land aren't there any more decent ramp spels with CMC3? find one that at leas don't give lands to your opponents Realms Uncharted don't ramp you but it will put lands in hand and graveyad, and not just basics.
- Creeping Renaissance I want to like this card, but every time I tryed it, it underperformed. In this deck you have few permanents of a single type except for lands and you don't dredge yourself to put stuff in your graveyard. You do have a lot of lands, but to get those lands better use Splendid Reclamation, World Shaper, Ramunap Excavator or Life from the Loam. For a big, more flexible recursion spell I like Seasons Past
- Growth Spasm replace for Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate. they are commander staples for a reason.
- Mizzium Mortars replace for Blasphemous Act kills your creatures but you can be sure that it will kill almost everything and with discount
- Pirate's Pillage allows you to cast Omnath on your 5th land but still i'd swap it for Harmonize another green EDH staple.
- Primal Growth good card but you won't have disposable creatures on your early game and as a late game card is weak. As I told you before Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate (whichever you didnt used before).
- Search for Tomorrow another good card that will perform better in other decks that really need to get to four mana ASAP, IMO some beefy ramp spell would be better for Omnath. Another one I like in this deck is Khalni Heart Expedition
- Evolutionary Leap swap for Ashnod's Altar, you want your sac outlets to be activated without mana and without tapping. Your opponents will probably start worrying as soon as the see this card as it is often used for infinite combos.
- Fires of Yavimaya for Anger. Mainly because you can cast it and put it on the battlefield to block in the early game and later you get the haste bonus. other good options for this end in this deck Ogre Battledriver and In the Web of War, same effect different formats.
- Rite of the Raging Storm I ended up removing this enchantment from the deck because it is slow and don't help me with my defense, it's for more aggressive decks. The elemental that pops and sacrifices is nice when you have the commander, but It doesent justify the 5 manas.
What I'm still missing in the deck.
- Buffs to your creatures Beastmaster Ascension, Forgotten Ancient
- Rampaging Baloths not elemental but those 4/4 bodies will prove useful later to get us some cards and defense
- More recursion Greenwarden of Murasa is a solid creature. The second much worse option is Paleoloth I've tried before in other decks but maybe it can be good with Omnath's tokens.
- Spitebellows Perfect in this deck
- Decimate simply an orgasm every time you cast it. The catch of this card is that you need to be able to target a different permanent of each type, but that is not a problem in multyplayer
- More defense from flyers, I run this funny card Chaosphere, some other cards I'm considering are Spidersilk Armor, Katabatic Winds, Silklash Spider, Sandwurm Convergence.
- Scour from Existence because with red and green you will have trouble with high toughness creatures and/or indestructibles. I'ts a high mana instant but it will resolve any problem you have
- Parallel Lives Because at the end of the day it is a token deck
- Traverse the Outlands a kick ass ramp spell if you manage to ramp four lands or more.
- Heroic Intervention the ultimate shielding card.
- Mana multiplication Mana Reflection, Zendikar Resurgent, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger this one is a bit to hard top lay if you don't cheat it into the battlefield. The low cost option has the problem of helping your opponents too Keeper of Progenitus
- Much more card draw Drumhunter, Mouth / Feed, Shamanic Revelation, Garruk's Packleader.
- Synergy with instant/sorceris Young Pyromancer, Primal Amulet Flip?
- Wayward Swordtooth?
For me the problem with this deck is you need to so many card slots and turns ramping that you don't do much more. It is quite spectacular when you manage to combo off, but it feels a bit like a one trick pony. so that is why I'm tinkering with my Omnath deck trying to find balance for my meta.
Good luck with your deck, I hope I have been of some help.
1 week ago
Bellowing Tanglewurm, Dosan the Falling Leaf, Elderscale Wurm, Frontier Guide, Hornet Nest, Indrik Stomphowler, Oak Street Innkeeper, Pathbreaker Ibex, Outland Colossus, Regal Behemoth, Seedguide Ash, Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, Somberwald Sage, Sylvan Ranger, Thragtusk, Terra Stomper
3 weeks ago
First off, I love the idea of trying to build a creature only deck. Seems like a lot of fun, but I see a couple problems with this build.
No ramp. You run so many lands, but no ramp. Take out like three of those lands and replace them with things like Wood Elves, and Farhaven Elf. Even some of the normally worse creatures like Ondu Giant might be better than running so many lands. Another option might be Frontier Guide since you are running many untap effects, and it could be a useful mana sink for those turns where you don't need to counter anything.
No draw. A control deck needs draw, otherwise it has no way of keeping up with the rest of the board, especially in a multiplayer format. Run things like Mulldrifter, Arcanis the Omnipotent or Jace's Archivist for good draw. Another great card that would be on theme for you would actually be Mercurial Chemister since he can draw you cards, and can also be used for control.
No visible win-con. Your best win con I can see is swinging with Frost Titan, which is not a very reliable win con. You need some big swingers who can act as finishers. I would recommend at least running a Pathbreaker Ibex, or something similar to help you win after you've soft-locked your opponents.
Those are the big problems I see with the deck. Now for a few card suggestions. The only card I can see being underwhelming is Guile. You only run 12 cards that counter spells, and with no draw to ensure you get multiple of them, Guile will turn into 8 mana for an 8/8; that is very underwhelming. The only three cards I would recommend are the praetors in your colors: Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, and Urabrask the Hidden. These three allow for a lot of control over your opponents, and would advance your strategy (plus the green and blue ones count towards the ramo and draw categories I was talking about)
Hope this helps, and enjoy your deck!
1 month ago
I love mono-green EDH and have worked on a few different builds.A few thoughts, Frontier Guide is painfully slow and I would cut it for Wood Elves which is great ramp and a body for utility. The cycling on Beneath the Sands is definitely appealing when it is a late game topdeck, but with your high CMC I would cut that for Nature's Lore as that is MUCH better in the early game when you actually want to ramp. Last change I would reccomend to the ramp package is to cut Nissa's Expedition for Skyshroud Claim, it is one CMC less and brings the lands into play untapped which can allow for some pretty explosive turns. For ramp and board presence I really like Elvish Mystic, Llanowar Elves, and the other one drop mana dorks. Looking at your list it seems that you will often be without any plays on the first two or three turns when building a small amount of advantage early can allow you to really pull ahead in the ensuing turns.
1 month ago
I played Rhys for a while and he is awesome. My deck was mostly green/white token good stuff so you can take or leave my advice. Some thoughts on your deck.
I found having 36 lands helped to really smooth out the mana flow.
If you are looking for some card ideas to consider.
Cryptolith Rite is just spectacular.
Illusionist's Bracers for another token doubling effect.
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice-life gain and token creation.
Blade of Selves has some interesting workings with Rhys. So the tokens created by the blade get exiled; however, the tokens that are copies of the blade of selves tokens do not get exiled. so if you attack with an elf the blade creates 1 copy for each additional opponent. Rhys copies those tokens (these tokens are not attacking)) and the copied tokens that are not attacking do not get exiled.
There is a way to go infinite with elfball but my group generally frowns on deliberate infinites so I don't know it.
i've also been considering the use of Settle the Wreckage as a way to fuel some major ramp by casting it on my own tokens.
Things to remove (always the hardest part)Anointer Priest-she's human, granted she can be turned into a token later but I just don't think its worth it.
Oracle of Nectars-you are not running a lifegain deck. Lifegain is ok if its incidental but i'm not sold on these in the deck.
Kazandu Tuskcaller - its a token generator yes but to get the tokens it just takes a long time. Jade Mage is an elf. granted it only produces 1/1s (and unfortunately not elves) but it is immediately useful and repeatable.
Skyshroud Elf - unfortunately i do not think this one is legal with Rhys as the commander. it has red in its color identity which doesn't go with Rhys.
Good luck. I wish I could tell you some more of the elf token generators but I just don't know enough of them to be helpful. There is a Rhys Elfball deck that has a ton of views on this site that has some really good ideas in it.
PS sorry for the really really long post.
4 months ago
Boundless Realms - so gross w/landfall
Zendikar Resurgent - both sides great
Lifecrafter's Bestiary - ditto
Greater Good - definitely want a sac outlet w/ Omnath
Abundance - already a busted effect, super silly with you're thinking about landfallHeroic Intervention - keep your stuff if need to
6 months ago
Hey I hope you're still working on this! You commented on my deck and it took me a bit to get back as well. I know I +1'd a long ass time ago lol
Since you are going all creatures: you need to find ones that fulfil roles of noncreature spells.
Wood Elves, Farhaven Elf, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Coiling Oracle, maybe Ondu Giant. You have Solemn Simulacrum and Birds of Paradise which are fantastic. There's really expensive ramp too, like Bloom Tender and Lotus Cobra
I could not agree more with hintseeker's first point about drawing cards and utilizing colorless creatures. That's the meat n potatoes of the deck
I like Shaman of the Great Hunt; but not everybody does! It can chug along and turns all your creatures into pseudo-vampires. What's not to like? Thrasios, Triton Hero has a similar draw ability. Rashmi, Eternities Crafter is rad. Prime Speaker Zegana can be huge. Vizier of the Menagerie is a cool new card. Elvish Visionary and Wall of Blossoms just went back into my deck. I don't run Sages of the Anima since I'm running noncreature spells I want to draw, but it would be great in here once you've decided you've played enough lands. Filter them out for multiple creatures per draw. Oracle of Mul Daya is a thing too, and Magus of the Future
To put Cloud of Faeries, Peregrine Drake, Great Whale, and Palinchron into perspective; imagine the payoff of untapping all your lands after casting multiple creature spells and just keep going. Now bounce one of them with Shrieking Drake/Dream Stalker/Man-o'-War, cast again, keep going. With enough +1/+1 counters on animar: Temur Sabertooth can bounce them for infinite mana and infinite animar counters (Cloud of Faeries needs lands like Izzet Boilerworks/Gruul Turf/Simic Growth Chamber). Deadeye Navigator can also gain infinite mana via "Flicker" effect. Lastly, Tidespout Tyrant bouncing any two colorless and/or land-untapping creatures you control goes infinite. Whether it's eldrazi or morph doesn't matter. Ancestral Statue alone bounces itself into an infinite animar
Obviously I've given way too many suggestions. Choose what works for you and your budget. Also every playgroup/meta is different.
Cards I would take out: Ancient Silverback, Enclave Elite, Frontier Guide, Hanweir Lancer, AEther Membrane, Primal Clay, Young Wolf, etc. Instead of running something like Grazing Gladehart; invest in a Purphoros, God of the Forge mwahahaha
Above all, have fun! Cheers!
7 months ago
Frontier Guide can help ramp more lands into play over time with excess mana.
If you want to get infinite landfall triggers, you could try Budoka Gardener and/or Skyshroud Ranger with Quirion Ranger and/or Scryb Ranger. Combined with something like Altar of the Brood, that combo can help you to end the game. Altar of the Brood would be a good card for this deck even without that combo.