|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Zendikar (ZEN)||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Snake
Landfall Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Lotus Cobra Discussion
1 week ago
Sweet deck! +1 from me
One infinite combo I use in my Omnath, Locus of Rage deck uses him as the main wincon with his pseudo- Lightning Bolt ability... but you can use Zendikar's Roil + Perilous Forays + any of the following: Amulet of Vigor , Earthcraft , Lotus Cobra , etc to pull all the basic land types out of the deck !
I hope you'll take the time to check out some of the decks on my profile and +1
2 weeks ago
About that - main problem here is that you want to have too much high CMC cards that make 'cool things' but it's better to settle for less and actually get there. Playing Dragon tribe already fills your high end of the curve so we need to focus on lower CMC interaction/ramp/draw to get to cast as many of the mentioned creatures as possible.
That's why Crucible of Fire and Sight of the Scalelords are bad but you seem to discover another way to win besides fight with big beaters - it's reanimator strategy. So I'd rather get 4/4 or 5/5 Dragon with Animate Dead for AND do something else than cast one of those enchantments and pass, hoping that it survives on board. I personally use reanimation with Dragon Tempest as a secondary strategy to kill as many people as possible with damage from dragons coming back and then smash the rest with them, since they get haste.
Abrupt Decay has that advantage of hitting NONLAND permaments... so creatures, enchantments, artifacts, planeswalkers all go down. While Vraska's Contempt is overpriced Path to Exile in black since planeswalkers can be overrun with Dragons and 2 life gain is negligible. It's not about hitting someone's Craterhoof Behemoth or in your case Hellkite Overlord it's about dealing with Sylvan Library / Phyrexian Arena , Chromatic Lantern or Yisan, the Wanderer Bard that get them there. And that's the lesson that I learned few months back and made drastic changes to my deck - Bow before Draconic King!!! | *WAR* Update. It's still a Dragon deck but has everything that early game requires so I can still compete with better tuned decks of others.
That's why for changes I'd propose:
- Kilnmouth Dragon -> Night's Whisper - instead of giving someone information what you have for 7 mana you get 2 cards for 2 that noone sees besides you
- Skarrgan Hellkite -> Selvala, Heart of the Wilds or Lotus Cobra - 5 mana for 4/4 flyer that can be 5/5 with overpriced activated ability is bad... you'll be better off with one of these dorks for 2-3 CMC.
- Crucible of Fire -> Nature's Claim - lowers the avg. CMC, let's you be more reactive and holding on for interaction on opponents turn is easy to do.
- Spit Flame -> Sarkhan's Triumph - overpriced damage restricted to creatures might be good in Standard but not EDH. Try out tutor instead and thank me later :D
- The Immortal Sun -> Gruul Signet / Rakdos Signet - I know it's an epic card and all but... it's cost is huge, you might actually cast 6 CMC Dragon instead of this and to actually get there you can run early ramp so 1-2 turns earlier flying behemoth will be way more dangerous.
- Hellkite Overlord / Darigaaz Reincarnated -> Worldly Tutor - with tutor in deck you need actually 1 of these two if you still want to have a huge Dragon. Also this is great way to get utility dragons like Glorybringer or Dragonlord Kolaghan when you need them most.
- Temple of the False God -> Rocky Tar Pit / Mountain Valley / Evolving Wilds - this land is bad... if you have 1 land and this, then you still only have 1 land since it won't activate early. Ancient Tomb is great because it can work turn 1 for some rocks but this... requires board full of lands and one Armageddon makes it useless again.
If you want to know more about getting better at EDH I'd recommend checking out CMDR Central and EDHRec podcasts on youtube - https://articles.edhrec.com/commander-central-ep75-settling-for-less/. Also EDHRec page has great articles posted daily, one of them is about Evolving Wilds: https://articles.edhrec.com/in-the-margins-evolving-wilds-terramorphic-expanse/
2 weeks ago
Looks good, however I'd still lower the number of dragons and add some interaction and draw:
- Night's Whisper - 2 cards for 2 mana and 2 life? It's great!
- Worldly Tutor - instead of having 'whatever' dragon you get 'exactly' what you need, same thing with Sylvan Tutor and Sarkhan's Triumph .
- Nature's Claim - very cheap interaction and giving 4 life against draconic force means absolutely nothing.
- Abrupt Decay - without white and lack of exile effects you must still up the number of removal you get here and there's no better option than a little more specific Assassin's Trophy .
- Llanowar Elves - classic dork, that can be used in place of 1 of your worse performing land.
- Lotus Cobra - since you have more of 'land matters' theme I'd consider this card and if you can afford some more fetchlands it works wonders (even 2 slow fetches will do).
- Gruul Signet and Rakdos Signet - 2 cmc rocks that add and one of the supporting colors might lower the avg. CMC and smooth out early game.
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - a 3 cmc dork, that can provide card draw AND can tap for immense amounts of mana for only !
- Sarkhan the Mad - can be translated here as 'kill one player'
- Fire-Lit Thicket - might be worth giving a shot thanks to it's flexibility
2 weeks ago
Flooremoji: Divining Top won't go infinite, since it can't put lands on top of our deck. Scroll Rack's ability to put lands on top, which Thrasios can then put into play, triggering twenty billion Lotus Cobra s to give us the mana to populate another token copy of the Rack and Venser, who puts the land back in our hand...does go infinite.
2 weeks ago
This mono green EDH deck is well out of date and I could use some help updating it to not only be legal but competitive
I feel like the base of the deck is still pretty strong and it only needs a few minor updates here and there, so any and all inputs would be greatly appreciate.
3 weeks ago
Hey qwikster thanks for the kind words! Glad to know that someone took the time to read some of my ramblings; I appreciate it! :P Also awesome that it inspired a build! Link me when it's done if you decide to post it on here. ;P
I like the idea of Plasm Capture especially the flavour text that includes a quote from my second favourite commander: Vorel of the Hull Clade It's a nice addition. Its just personal preference and group/meta opponents when it comes down to deciding on specific counter spells. I might test it out one day.
Saprazzan Skerry hmm this one is new to me, thanks for pointing it out. It's a nice piece, and once again I think a little down to personal preference. You could use Saprazzan Skerry or a bounce land like Dimir Aqueduct both have their advantages and disadvantages. An advantage of Saprazzan Skerry is that it doesn't require the bouncing of another land back to your hand, but in the case of the bounce land it could be a benefit for an aditional landfall trigger for use when Exploration is in play with Lotus Cobra or even Horn of Greed or the effect of the land itself repeating the ETB triggers of Bojuka Bog or Halimar Depths .
A disadvantage of Saprazzan Skerry is that it only enters with 2 counters. That's cutting it really close as you already have to deal with Pentad Prism coming in with only 2 and making it hard to use without having Atraxa out, but if she dies early...oof it's a set back that you have to manage as we have no way of replenishing counters on it. 3 like Gemstone Mine I can understand, but 2 is asking for Atraxa to be ready and available to proliferate it after the first use. That is a little too needy for my liking for it being a land. Nice spot though.
I like City of Shadows . I don't like that you have to sac a creature for it, but nothing worth having comes easy right? The problem with that is that we don't link sacrificing our utility creatures willingly as we care not for the resurrection of a damned soul...may they Rest in Peace . :P However in response to someone targeting to kill or exile Atraxa we could activate it and send Atraxa back to the command zone. It's an idea. Its a nice spot.
I will at some point be revamping the land base to incorporate the Coffers combo Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers as so many people in my group are using it. I've resisted the temptation, but I don't think I can keep up with the massive amount of mana available so easily to them without it. And when it's out early....its just too insane. We fall behind a few turns because of this.
So when you build Atraxa how about you try the Coffers combo and give me some tips on how I could revamp the land base, as it feels like a massive undertaking which could involve cutting some pieces from other areas to make space for more land and land tutors.
Actually a Voltron Control deck might be easier to build than this was...it'll probably be more straight forward and less convoluted than my build, as was trying to make the theme quite unique since Atraxa is so popular.
Thanks again for checking out my current masterpiece! Keep in touch with your build ;P
3 weeks ago
The list looks fine for the most part. I’d consider swapping Skirge Familiar for Olivia's Dragoon or if you want a non creature alternative Chain of Smog can work. I find the familiar is typically a bit too expensive and the mana he generates is typically unnecessary when we can loop petals/rituals. I’d also consider swapping Devoted Druid or Lotus Cobra for Wall of Roots due to it being able to turn infinite black into infinite green with Necromancy and Culling the Weak .
Here’s a link to the gitrog discord they should be able to give more advice. https://discord.gg/yegyWs
4 weeks ago
I am confused by the inclusion of Skullclamp in this list. You only have six targets that I can see: Birds of Paradise , Mother of Runes , Lotus Cobra , Sakura-Tribe Elder , Eternal Witness , and Reef Worm . Of those six 3 are mana fixers, 1 is utility, and only Eternal Witness and Reef Worm are what I would consider "good" targets for Skullclamp .
Lotus Cobra occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%