|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance: Guild Kits (GK2)||Rare|
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
When Detention Sphere enters the battlefield, you may exile target nonland permanent not named Detention Sphere and all other permanents with the same name as that permanent.
When Detention Sphere leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to the battlefield under their owner's control.
Detention Sphere Discussion
1 week ago
I would get rid of some of the enchantments that have you sacrifice creatures to draw a card, destroy something, or what have you and replace it with cards like Greed , Mentor of the Meek , and Kindred Discovery , if it is in your budget, to increase card draw without losing creatures. I also think Anointed Procession . I also feel like Banishing Light and Oblivion Ring could be replaced with Grasp of Fate and Detention Sphere .
Maybe Generous Gift , Arcane Denial , and Negate could be used to help increase interaction with the opponent. Other removal options that trigger your commander is Imprisoned in the Moon Some ramp options could be Burnished Hart , Starfield Mystic , the Talisman's in your Esper, and recursion could be a Sun Titan package. Also perhaps some enchantments that protect your commander with indestructible or something to help her stick around a little longer. Just some suggestions. Great Deck! Looks like a lot of fun to pilot
1 week ago
so the way I see it you're actually quite close (33 basic lands means 25 basic lands brings you up to 82)
- Zephyr Sprite (basic 1 drop flyer, but a 1 drop flyer is good on its own)
- Wydwen, the Biting Gale (3/3 flyer with an ability that gives you bounce to save itself or add faerie casts)
- Wasp Lancer (3 mana faerie flyer, that's it)
- Vendilion Clique (ok, pricey but a good way to say no to an incoming problem)
- Thieving Sprite (another way to say no to an incoming threat)
- Silkbind Faerie (untap effects are very exploitable, although often rare)
- Silkbind Faerie (easy to be a 3/3 flying vigilance for 3)
- Ringskipper (this one is kinda mostly filler but could be obnoxious to get rid of)
- Quickling (ok I think this is a diamond in the rough, 2 mana, get a body AND save a faerie from impending doom)
- Oona's Gatewarden (i know defender BUT WITHER IS SUCH A GOOD MECHANIC)
- Nightveil Sprite (2 mana 1/2 flyer that lets you look at the top card of your library, with the option to toss)
- Mistbind Clique (forcing your opponent into an all out play can create quite the opening, timing it before the end of a phase limits their options on what they can do with all that mana)
- Metropolis Sprite (With anthems that ability could be nasty, especially since early game flyers are often going unblocked)
- Knacksaw Clique (I hate myself for suggesting this monster of a card but even if you aren't stealing their cards, your permanently removing them and that's just nasty)
- Faerie Vandal (drawing 2 cards in a turn isnt hard in blue, so in many cases it will get +1/+1 every turn)
- Faerie Mechanist (counts as an artifact AND sifts for more)
- Fae of Wishes (that adventure lets you pull solutions out of thin air)
- Eye Collector (1/1 with a decent ability)
- Brazen Borrower (again not budget but another great adventure)
- Faerie Guidemother (1 drop white with an ok adventure option)
- Phyrexian Metamorph (clone that can hit artifacts always good, especially in EDH)
- Glorious Anthem (aka the namesake for all anthems)
- Dictate of Heliod (double anthem with flash)
- Marshal's Anthem (but pricey mana wise but potent)
- Kindred Boon (not an anthem but...it's a bit slow but indestructible is nasty)
- Kindred Discovery (also not an anthem but CAAAAAARRRRD DRAW)
- All That Glitters (potent aura in your deck, slap it on Alela for quick win)
- Mirrormade (MORE CLOOOOOONESSS but for artifact or enchantment)
- Bident of Thassa (caaaaaaaarrrrddd draaaaawwww)
- Skullclamp (mooooorrreeeee caaaard draaaaawwww)
- Smothering Tithe (this guy is broken in EDH)
- Coastal Piracy ( heavy breathing CAAAAAAAAAAARRRRDD DRAAAW)
- Blind Obedience (good control enchantment)
- insert every flavor of mana rocks here
- Mortify (reeeemoval)
- Path to Exile (more removal)
- Swords to Plowshares (did I mention removal is important)
- Generous Gift (echo echo echo)
- Vindicate (I remember when this was like a 20$ card)
- Ghostly Prison (the best defense is actually having defense)
- Utter End (hits anything but land and its gone for good)
- Disenchant (technically the OG naturalize)
- Diabolic Tutor (like demonic tutor only not 25$)
- Open the Vaults (wow that was a nasty Nevinyrral's Disk wouldn't it be a shame if it didn't stick)
- Propaganda (Ghostly Prison but blue)
- Sphere of Safety (ghostly prison but gets really out of hand fast)
- Darksteel Mutation (this card is evil)
- Imprisoned in the Moon (that’s a nice land ya got there)
- Frogify (MAKE THAT COMMANDER A FROG)
- Phyrexian Arena (card draw, but black)
- Aura of Silence (because only you can have artifacts and enchantments)
- Dispeller's Capsule (disenchant on a stick)
- Norn's Annex (phyrexian ghostly prison)
- Notorious Throng (TURN THAT PAIN INTO FRIENDS))
- Wrath of God (NUKE UM NUKE UM)
- Fumigate (Moooore NUUUKES)
- Oblivion Ring (say no, now with enchantments)
- Detention Sphere (kill all of one type of token, or remove all the sol rings, you know for shits and giggles)
- Karmic Justice (blow up my stuff i blow you up)
- Land Tax (ok not budget but reeeeaaaallly nice for lands outside of green)
- Grasp of Fate (o ring but for each opponent)
- Attrition (you should have tons of minions so sacking some for removal is value)
- True Conviction (one of my favorite big nasty enchantments)
- Akroma's Memorial (most of the times this hits the field it's over)
- Jace Beleren (og jace is nice)
3 weeks ago
Hey, nice budget Esper deck. Looks like you're not finished?
In Esper colors you can take more advantage of opponent disruption and you kind of need more of it if you want to consistently cast Chromium, who's seven mana. Control the game more by slowing down your opponents which can give you more time to prepare the game for when you drop Chromium. I think you should stick with Tocatli Honor Guard . In fact I'm suggesting to expand on it. Of course this means cutting most creatures who have an ETB ability.
Chromium doesn't have an ETB ability and there's not very many creatures here who do. In Commander many decks, much more than not, rely on ETB abilities from creatures to get value or even to win. Shutting this off can give you a big advantage. Creatures who exile other creatures or permanents when they ETB are risky because of board wipes. When these creatures die from a board wipe then the exiled card goes back to the opponent. Board wipes are more important for Control then these creatures.
In Commander 26 lands is very low for a Control deck. This is the amount of land you would play in a 60 card Control deck in Standard. In Commander there's a lot more than 60 cards therefore you need more lands because you want to make your land drops each turn. Mana rocks and other spells that can get you lands in your hand or on to the battlefield can help, but even with these cards you need more land. You really want both. There's only 91 cards here; my advice is start with adding 10 more lands and the three budget Signets: Azorius Signet , Dimir Signet , Orzhov Signet .
Budget lands to consider adding:
- Command Tower
- Exotic Orchard
- Caves of Koilos
- Ash Barrens
- Esper Panorama
- Sunken Hollow
- Prairie Stream
- Irrigated Farmland
Cards to consider cutting to add lands/Signets:
- Fleet Swallower
- Drowned Secrets
- Psychic Spiral
- Psychic Corrosion
- Thought Collapse
Consider cutting the opponent mill theme? Opponent mill is not very good in multiplayer Commander unless your dedicated to it. Graveyards are a huge resource for so many types of decks in Commander; mill will most likely help your opponents rather than hurt them. I wouldn't play mill unless it's the main strategy of your deck. Playing many wheel effects and having infinite mill combos as win conditions.
Other budget cards to consider adding (some of these are in the maybeboard):
- Aven Mindcensor : disrupt opponents tutors including Fetch lands.
- Notion Thief : deny opponents from drawing a lot of cards.
- Blind Obedience : prevents haste and denies your opponents from using artifacts for mana when they first come onto the battlefield.
- Hushbringer : a supercharged Tocatli Honor Guard.
- Rule of Law : can prevent many combos in Commander and it slows the game down for you to better control.
- Narset, Parter of Veils : allows opponents to only draw one card during their turns.
- Day of Judgment
- Cleansing Nova
- Diabolic Tutor
- Fellwar Stone
- Arcane Denial
- Detention Sphere
- Generous Gift
Cards to consider cutting:
- Final Payment
- Drown in Sorrow
- Deputy of Detention
- Hostage Taker
- Conclave Tribunal
- Shell of the Last Kappa
- Tome of the Guildpact
- Dire Fleet Ravager
- Sphinx's Insight
- Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted
- Nightveil Predators
- Basilica Bell-Haunt
- Dimir Guildmage
- The Haunt of Hightower
- Rise from the Tides
3 weeks ago
No worries fam! So to start I think Tormod's Crypt is just a straight upgrade to Scarab Feast, Cycling is irrelevant, if you sided it in you want to be casting that bad boy. 0 mana to hit the whole graveyard is sooo much better than 1 mana to hit 3 cards. Also Inspiring Call is neat, but not what you want. The lack of Hexproof matters alot, I've been looking up some decklists of the current projected "tier" decks and UW Control especially runs a lot of cards like Cast Down and Detention Sphere that call does not protect against, but Heroic Intervention does. That said, 2 intervention is fine, go up to 3 if you're really worried about removal. Speaking of removal, I would cut Price of Betrayel for either Hero's Downfall or Assassin's Trophy , I personally recommend Trophy. PoB is just way too niche for what you want to be in your sideboard, Trophy can destroy any permanent you want, including the above mentioned enchantments that exile your board. Life Goes On is okay. I Think the difference between it and Feed the Clan are worth considering, 1 mana less doesn't matter nearly as much in a deck that isn't looking to stop you from casting it, so gaining more life more consistantly may be your better play, but it's a judgement call tbh. Lastly I'd prob cut the Mistcutter Hydra and maybe use one other slot for at least 2 Return to Nature . If you want an example of a proper flex slot that card is it, and as much as I L-O-V-E me some Hydras, unfortunately the pro-blue doesn't matter much in the games you'll prob side him into. He still gets hit by Cast Down and Seal Away . Keep the 4 Duress, having those against control or combo is fantastic, and I wasn't sure about QB but since alot of Nexus of Fate decks are running Fog effects, making your damage unstoppable is real good.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Yeah thanks for reaching out. You're talking about upgrading the brawl deck into a commander one, right? I would definitely go back and look at what Theros did with enchantments. Get a few blue/white/black enchantment creatures for bodies on the field. They also gave us an enchantment for each thing that we normally did with sorceries/instants. Check out Zur the Enchanter decks (and get yourself Zur for your deck too). Ethereal Armor is a must, plus removal like Oblivion Ring , Prison Realm , Detention Sphere , and Conclave Tribunal (there are many options). For card draw, Curiosity , Curious Obsession , and Ior Ruin Expedition if you're on a budget. The Fonts from Theros are also useful here; Font of Fortunes , Font of Return , and some of the Seal enchantments: Seal of Cleansing , Seal of Doom , Seal of Removal . You should rarely need to put an instant or sorcery in your deck since you can get all kinds of synergy with enchantments and the enchantments basically do the same thing. Blightcaster helps turn all of those enchantments also into removal spells. And look forward to all of the enchantment creatures that will be added in the next set, Theros Beyond Death!
1 month ago
Last Breath is mainly just to help early on, so I don't have to rely as much on verdict and deal with Voice of Resurgence and similar creatures. Hour of Revelation takes care of annoying permanents, since there's no Detention Sphere . If you get to turn six, it still helps against creatures, especially if a verdict isen't enough. But maybe only playing two is an option.
1 month ago
Detention Sphere occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.14%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%