|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Return to Ravnica||Rare|
Combos Browse all
When Detention Sphere enters the battlefield, you may exile target nonland permanent not named Detention Sphere and all other permanents with the same name as that permanent.When Detention Sphere leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to the battlefield under their owner's control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (28)||Mousemke , ibraJG84 , Caldazar , acbooster , ironax , vishnarg , TheRealPeaches , NostalgicAce , bradyofportdetroit , rikertchu , , gosora , Tiddilywinkus , Falte , pskinn01 , Lindough , MoJoMiXuP , DudeMan1031 , accioali , thetechzombie , dplerner , CampbellStev , philktoken8998 , bakeraj4 , Regulus1010 , AlertKnave8075 , Dr_Jay , Sergal|
Detention Sphere Discussion
14 hours ago
Would you please check my esper too? Esper.
4 days ago
No serum visions. Otherwise the only other thing would be to play some number of Detention Sphere or play 4 copies of fatal push and less Logic Knots
1 week ago
So you're at 66 cards. You can honestly drop down to 20-22 or so lands if you wanted to. A lot of ramp decks don't run more than 22-24. So that would really help.
Dragonmaster Outcast should be put in the mainboard, hands down. Drop both Icefall Regents and the second Dragonlord Ojutai. The second Ojutai will likely get stuck sitting in your hand while you wait for the other one to die. The card advantage you get from it doing damage is nice but I don't think it's worth running two.
I'd drop both Dawn's Reflections because it's too expensive. Either include more creatures such as Elvish Mystic or the other elf that does the same thing for the same cost or Rattleclaw Mystic OR you can just put one more Abundant Growth in and another Verdant Haven. I would probably only do the one Abundant Growth and put in elvish mystic or whatever, you'll see why I suggest this soon.
I don't personally like Stormbreath Dragon because your creatures already have flying. This already makes your cards really hard to block so the effect you get from making it monstrous is kind of poor. I think something like Thundermaw Hellkite would be a fine substitution because you can tap flying creatures your opponents control and it has haste soooo this could be a finisher.
I also think that unless you can specifically search for creatures in your deck, you shouldn't be running so many one ofs. This ruins your consistency because you have very little card draw. In a deck like mine, I can safely run one of a few different cards because I'll likely see everything in my deck if the game runs long enough. With ramp, you're trying to end the game early with huge creatures. Typically you want them to interact well with one another. I think something like Mirrorwing Dragon AND Temur Battle Rage could help. You could also run something like Vines of Vastwood if you do Mirrorwing Dragon. I can't help but shiver at the thought of playing against that. With your current creature pool + interaction you can't really rely on any one effect from your dragonlords unless you can search for them. I know that's why you're running Sarkhan Unbroken but dropping all your creatures on the field at once will make your entire strategy vulnerable to board wipe unless they all have haste. Again, something that could be fixed with Mirrorwing Dragon or Zada, Hedron Grinder if you run Expedite or some other card that gives haste.
If you REALLY want to keep all your dragonlords as one ofs, you could always run Gifts Ungiven and Unburial Rites. These will let you get stuff from your deck and then back from your graveyard. I don't know where you'd fit those in but that's what I suggest doing if you want to keep all your individual Dragonlords. Otherwise, just side them in to deal with what cards your opponent is playing. For exmaple Dragonlord Silumgar is pretty useless against draw-go decks like mine.
I think Mana Leak Is out of place. If you're going to interact with your opponent, you should either be using burn to chip away that last chunk of health or some kind of permanent removal. I suggest Abrupt Decay, Terminate, Path to Exile, Detention Sphere, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Helix, or Electrolyze. Otherwise, if you really want to run counters, you should run something heavier like Cryptic Command, Rune Snag, Dispel, or Negate. Mana Leak can be worked around by paying extra mana and you will likely have enough mana to cast whatever you want if you're given enough time.
If you want me o actually suggest additions and subtractions in terms of creatures and spells and stuff other than what I've already done, let me know and I'll give it a shot.
1 week ago
Venser, the Sojourner would have a nice fit in here, use it to bounce Detention Sphere with a few of your Reality Acid exiled by it. The sphere leaves for turn, the acids come back in, target a few lands for the turn, then the sphere comes back in, poof a few more lands gone. Also the ulti could help with the end game as well.
1 week ago
TW877 Well I'm planning on playtesting or have already playtested everything in the maybeboard in that slot, but the thing is Stormbreath dodges a lot of removal that Glorybringer doesn't, like Path to Exile, Cast Out, Anguished Unmaking, and Detention Sphere, all of which see play in Modern. It also can attack into or block with no risk all relevant the fliers in the format except Delver of Secrets. Lingering Souls, Restoration Angel, and Mantis Rider. I mean I'm gonna try it out but I feel like I already have enough ways to kill something, I just need a surefire way to kill my opponent and Stormbreath is damn near hexproof in the modern format.
1 week ago
I also think you need some more non creature removal or maybe more Thoughtseize/Inquisition of Kozilek. I say this because you only have x1 Detention Sphere in your sideboard and I worry that any planeswalker will rip your deck up if your opponent has enough removal to kill your snapcasters and Dark Confidant.
2 weeks ago
I understand that you want fuel for goyf, but there are better options than using sideboard cards in the mainboard. I would play 4x Mishra's Bauble mainboard over cage and at least 2x Detention Sphere over 2x Stony Silence.
2 weeks ago
Hey, bro, whaddup?
Well, let's get this sorted out: your deck need some improvement. You're on the right track, and Modern has never ever been control-friendly as it is right now, even though we're living in a Death's Shadow spree. But the point of playing control is having fast answers to trouble, and your list seems a bit too slow. I don't know how is your budget for this deck, so, for every suggestion I'll bring along a budget option too.
- The most common decks in modern run at most 3 colors. If you wanna run 4 colors, you need a slightly better mana-base. Fetchlands like Flooded Strand and Windswept Heath, along with shocklands (Temple Garden, Hallowed Fountain, Breeding Pool, Godless Shrine, Watery Grave and Overgrown Tomb are your colors) will bring you the manafixing you need. You gonna lose some life, but trust me, it's worth it. Budget: you might consider running some Botanical Sanctum, Blooming Marsh and Concealed Courtyard too. They were printed in Kaladesh, so they still a bit 'cheap'. Amonkhet brought a set of fetchable lands too, so you might run Irrigated Farmland, Fetid Pools or Scattered Groves with the Khans of Tarkir fetchlands and this may also work.
- Your removal spells are soooo expensive. I mean, you're running 3 copies of a 2-mana sorcery-speed removal. That's hardly ever useful. When I saw you were running Witch-Maw colors I was expecting some Abrupt Decay, Path to Exile and Fatal Push. These are some of the best removal spells of all time, and they're all available for . Nonetheless, they're also very good with Snapcaster Mage. And about Hero's Downfall, well... it's a cool card, but I wouldn't run 4 copies. Budget: Even for cheaper options we have awesome cards like Condemn, Vendetta, Murderous Cut, Victim of Night, Mortify and Putrefy. (Ok, these last two aren't sooo great, but at least they're instants and can handle some paralel trouble.)
- Your choices for counterspells are very connected to the fact you run a removal-heavy deck, so you don't really need to counter creature spells. That's ok. But Dissolve is a card that rarely ever saves a game due to its mana cost. It's double blue for some small advantage. I'd recommend going for Remand or even Logic Knot. If you reeeeally like blue stuff (like me), you might even try to fit Cryptic Command in, but I don't recommend it in a 4-color. Budget: Rune Snag, Mana Leak are very competitive options too.
- Finishers: Well, every deck needs to win some way. I really love AEtherling, this card is sooo awesome, but as I said on Jwillette72's deck Don't wake horror! (Sung like Don't Wake Daddy) once: he's far too slow for modern. By the time you drop him, you will (very likely) be nearly dead already and he won't save you. For a 6-drop I really like Elspeth, Sun's Champion. She is such a power-house. For similar reasons, I have my concerns about Desecration Demon. Sure, he's one of the fattest creatures you'll drop for 4 mana, but he is very susceptible to your opponents actions. I mean, if you're playing against someone with Lingering Souls on their deck, you're very likely to never attack with him. (by the way, you could use some of this card here too) Also, he is very easily handled by Path to Exile and Fatal Push. For a quick beatdown, I'd probaly go for Tasigur, the Golden Fang and/or Geist of Saint Traft. These are awesome finishers, and a little harder to deal with than the Demon and the Aether Guy. Budget: Gurmag Angler does the Tasigur job very good too. Blood Baron of Vizkopa is also a good option. Aaaand, four copies of Lingering Souls with Zealous Persecution can be a solid strategy too, trust me.
- I imagine you're trying to do a sort of boardlock with Blind Obedience, but Authority of the Consuls does exactly the same thing for even less mana. You lose the Exort ability, but if you keep paying this, you might end up tapped-out and that is not what a control deck wants. But keep the Detention Spheres, this card rules.
Anyhow, I really like your deck and support what you're scheming here. If you want more tips, feel free to ask.