|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Spirit
Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||ironax , PTsmitty , Ashy , angesoir , Nemesis , thetechzombie , Reliva , duff87 , mziter501 , Swamy , itheoryz , Cazaz0816 , saj0219|
|Want (12)||SketchMix , kovellen , mitch50700 , Turtlelover73 , Warxuaroz , appledog , AlphaTDog , notsaying , Rathe , arthurxisde , aramlet , docbrown|
Primordial Sage Discussion
8 hours ago
Primordial Sage is a card I greatly suggest for the deck, building up a lot of value throughout every turn it lives, even if it just gets removed, that is a big eldrazi or giant creature that didn't get removed.
Otherwise, if you want to move more into combo to make this deck more competitive, Animar Competitive Budget is a decklist I would recommend looking at, it has a lot of cards that help to combo out with Ancestral Statue like Reckless Fireweaver or the like.
4 days ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
6 days ago
Shrieking Drake and Dream Stalker Are great for animar. As long as you have blue mana you can keep it going good way to get his counters up or bounce a more powerful creature like a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth to cast it again for free or Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger for the VALUE. Yavimaya Hollow is good regenerate effect on a land and Bloom Tender makes blue red and green mana if animar is out 3 total for one mana dork which is insane. Id cut out some creatures like Consecrated Sphinx you draw enough with Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest some of the enchantments could possibly be cut too. Your creatures should all have effects they're spells with a body. You mana should just be to cast creatures mainly. Glamerdye is a cool trick to give him protection from another color.
1 week ago
If you'd like I can link my animar deck it's different from yours but you might find something cool in the creatures or landbase. You NEED card draw for sure so think about adding Soul of the Harvest and or Primordial Sage Ancestral Statue sets you up for infinite combo/counters. Then you can Bioshift em.
1 week ago
Farseek has nothing to search up. Paradox Engine usually puts a real big target on your head. With only 3 mana rocks and 4 mana dorks this deck doesn't seem setup to get much use from it other than pseudo-vigilance.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds $$ but so good in green beats. It makes that paradox chain creatures with Soul of the Harvest/Elemental Bond On that note Primordial Sage/Garruk's Packleader are other ways to keep your hand full while dropping beaters. They also get the buff from commander.
3 weeks ago
suggested cuts Primordial Sage: Zendikar's resurgent is two mana more, but does basically the same thing and doubles mana
Ambush Commander:makes you too vulnerable for a relatively poor payoff. Only really good after a wipe, and makes you susceptible to another wipe.
Winnower Patrol: Doesn't fit your scheme, is too slow
A few notes:
Your deck is going to rely on a smaller board presence than you think. Flooding the board is only going to hurt you as it leaves you with more to lose. You only really need 2 or 3 creatures and Ezuri for presence.
Draw power is going to be key. In the event you keep getting swept you will need to be able to regain momentum, part of the reason I would say use Ezuri to buff up what you have and make the little guys dangerous.
For lethal you'll need to get trample too, so consider adding Brawn or the outlast creature that gives creatures with counters trample
Either keep your mana spammers so you can recast Ezuri, or trade some protection for him and trade them for more violent creatures. Either strategy could work, but in the end he's going to die either way, so make sure you have a back-up plan. You rely on him heavily so keep in mind you may need an alternative win con if the reliably shut him down (i.e. if they steal him your only hope is if you bounce him or someone else kills him)
3 weeks ago
Why Dreamstone Hedron, Staff of Nin and Sword of the Animist? There are lots of better options that fit into your deck, like
Primordial Sage instead of Staff of Nin,
Farseek instead of Sword of the Animist,
Primordial Wurm doesn't even have trample.
3 weeks ago
Think how strong it is alongside Wild Pair - not only could you cast Wild Pair quicker, but then you could bounce all your elves, cast them again, and search your library for another copy of each elf you already had in play.
Elvish Vanguard works well with the combo, and can serve as a win condition if you can somehow give it trample.