|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||None|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Planechase Anthology (PCA)||Common|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Planechase 2012 Edition (PC2)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Gruul Turf enters the battlefield tapped.
When Gruul Turf enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
: Gain .
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||bakeraj4 , Friedrice24 , Unjust_DiabIo , Grantley91 , bakunet , angesoir , killstars , corys , brentkc49 , MattN7498 , bpiser95 , philktoken8998|
|Want (41)||Georgez96 , mathimus55 , Bighouse , sleepy104 , Turtlelover73 , CaptianClueless , 2gherkins , Snydog17 , mini_tb , Monduck , Viper_3000 , CoastWizard , Njc12345 , DonRosenberger , mastermojo7 , rco , Supremespeed , TyDyMiler , mango_channel , Falco101 , Moonling , imapuncha , fancysaurus , Maliande , SirSharkington , Rathe , Gryffix , ostiarius , Cunningcrow , Artius , Dismortis , dougalops , Shaddaran , RazortoothMtg , AgentCrazyDiamond , lucky72 , TheSuperDodo , Jspeed , AntiheroFOREVER , drwhosmith4 , chucklebot|
Gruul Turf Discussion
3 days ago
Im glad to see a new player building a 3 color deck! Many new players stick to the 1 or 2 color builds to keep it simple. I see where you are going with your deck, but I have a few suggestions. Many of these are things you will see in tons of decks as "staple cards" while playing with other people. I am sticking to budget suggestions you can add in for $10-15 and can be used in any deck if you choose to build another.
- I do agree that you should take advantage of the green in your deck to add some ramp spells. Llanowar Elves, Cultivate and Skyshroud Claim are all recent reprints that would be budget buys for the deck.
-Your land base needs a little work since you are running three colors, but once again you can do this on a budget! Any of the bounce lands from Iconic Masters are all super cheap and help with color fixing. Boros Garrison, Gruul Turf and Selesnya Sanctuary give you 2 colors and bounce a land so you dont miss the following land drop if you're short. Also any of the tapped dual lands from M19 will work too, theyre not fast but they work. I would also look into getting Command Tower, Opal Palace, Evolving Wilds and Myriad Landscape. These are some budget staple cards you will learn along the way from play experience. Also you can lose 1-2 lands to free up space for other cards. 36-37 lands is your standard land count.
-I see why you like the idea of the cards that say on your next end step lose the game since you're running Exquisite Archangel but its alot of focus on something that can be shut down and then you lose! Since your spells are not permanents, you cant give the "game ending effects" to your opponents. I would take them out for other spells or some artifacts to help boost you ramp/speed. Put in a Sol Ring (staple in all EDH decks) or some signets: Gruul Signet, Selesnya Signet or Boros Signet.
Those are my budget build ideas for you to work on, I like the deck and the commander. While you're playing with people write down names of cards or take a picture of cards that you see people playing that would work in your deck. You'd be surprised at some of the budget cards that are really powerful with the right commander! Let me know if you have questions about anything, and welcome to the wonderful world of EDH!!!
6 days ago
AStorm02 I own one of those and threw it in my Lord Windgrace deck Lord *Bleep*face. I like bouncing lands when I have landfall triggers. Though I don't like to have too many Karoo style lands either because then you get those awkward starting hands of Darigaaz's Caldera, Gruul Turf, and Rakdos Carnarium lol. I did put all three plus the caldera in my Windgrace deck though and odds wise I should be ok I think. If I added in the ones from the Visions set then I might have issues with three more bounce lands.
Ghost Town is an interesting add in as well. I had that in my Omnath, Locus of Rage deck. I haven't added it to my Windgrace one yet. But I may, just seeing how things play with it for a while.
1 week ago
I think Rites of Flourishing is in the wrong place under Mana Doublers. Ghirapur Orrery could also be added to Group Hug. Sylvan Advocate should also be under Lords. You could add Nature's Will and Earthcraft to untappers. Life and Limb is another Animator. Turntimber Sower goes under Token Generators. Storm Cauldron is amazing under Play Extra Lands and Stax. Not sure if you'd want to include Scorched Ruins and Lotus Vale as some sort of sac outlet and ramp. Khalni Gem could go under bounce along with Mina and Denn, and also Golgari Rot Farm, Gruul Turf, Rakdos Carnarium, and Darigaaz's Caldera.
You can also look at my Windgrace deck for any other cards I missed.
2 weeks ago
Maybe: Cryptolith Rite
Note's: You are running a lot of ramp that touches only forests or basics, if you are going to include big ramp like traverse the out lands too and the basic grabbing lands which is an improvement to the garrisons I would increase your basic count maybe cut some of the tap lands.
2 weeks ago
Phaetion I'm not the biggest fan of Aggressive Mining, I think the "once a turn" clause is what keeps it from being great. Playing lands is a big part of your build and taking that away is probably not worth the 2 cards a turn most of the time. Horn of Greed is a tough call for me, I hate giving my opponents the opportunity to draw cards but if you're able to abuse it and win shortly after then I'd say it's a keeper. How has Seismic Assault been? I've definitely considered it but being triple red and not-so-great early game I decided to leave it out. Might give it a shot. Nesting Dragon doesn't impress me but I haven't tried it out yet either. I know Gaea's Blessing is a combo piece but I can't help but think of all the times you'll mill it and screw everything up, especially since you're running lots of dredge. Also since you're running Amulet of Vigor, I think the bouncelands like Gruul Turf are even better.
4 weeks ago
If you played one more Amulet of Vigor, or a Blood Sun I would recommend you play Gruul Turf. Before you play it tap the land you are going to return to your hand for mana, then play the Grull turf, and if you have an amulet of vigor in play you can tap it for two mana for a grand total of three on turn two.
1 month ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
1 month ago
I'll give you props for trying to pull off a unique combo, but I can't say I find the combo to be any good.
It takes 4 cards to go off. Two of those cards, (Amulet of Vigor and Perilous Forays), does nothing on their own, and a do nothing 5-drop is really bad. In addtion you also need an 8-drop, (Omnath, Locus of Rage), and a land drop to go off with the combo.
Still, I'll give you a like for making a very unique combo deck.
I've got a bit of advice for you, though.
Lurking Predators Is really, really, bad in this deck. You only have 7 creature's in the entire deck, and 3 of those are 1-drops. I guess being able to scry is nice, but it's not even close to being worth 6 mana.
Zendikar Resurgent Is actually even worse than Lurking Predators. You don't need to double your mana when you can cast it, so that ability is worthless, and you, again, only have 7 creatures so it's second ability is probably only going to draw you are single card throughout a game.
You absolutely don't need 40 lands. 25-ish should be perfectly fine.
If you want to make a "playable" deck that supports this combo, I suggest getting Thragtusk / Obstinate Baloth as a midrage way to survive the earlygame. More ramp / mana dork cards that you currently do, I would suggest Birds of Paradise and Khalni Heart Expedition. Courser of Kruphix, and Tireless Tracker as they're basically the reason you would even want to play this type of deck to begin with. Lands like Gruul Turf to make better use of Amulet of Vigor, and Wooded Foothills to thing your deck, shuffle your deck, and get more triggers.
If you want a good R/G deck in modern that's based on lands. I suggest R/G Scapeshift. I think it's a super boring deck, but it's good.