|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Planechase Anthology (PCA)||Common|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Planechase 2012 Edition (PC2)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Gruul Turf enters the battlefield tapped.
When Gruul Turf enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (8)||bakeraj4 , maR2307 , Friedrice24 , Unjust_DiabIo , Grantley91 , MattN7498 , rakdos24 , TheRealPeaches|
Gruul Turf Discussion
2 days ago
Thanks for checking out my list!
- By running pretty much all of the non basic tutors (though I do want to swap out Realms Uncharted for an Hour of Promise so I'm not giving any choice to an opponent), grabbing Cradle isnt hard. From there mana isnt a huge issue unless wraths are a thing, which in my typically 1v1 meta isnt really. In multiplayer I could probably swap some of the artifact hate out (relying on the other 2 players to help on that front), to include some of the heavier hitting ramp spells.
- Kinda the same. Since my combos unfortunately need a lot of slots, I've had to cut somewhere. 37 lands is still plenty. Getting screwed doesnt not happen, but its not frequent. At least from my experience. Maybe variance will rear its head and I'll get my comeuppance with a long streak of being screwed.
- I do plan on getting a Taiga in the near-ish future, funds are a thing at the moment though. This is my actual paper list, one of the big reasons why I havent posted it to that tapped out tier list as an example to bump them up to tier 3. I understand the combo is janky and too slow for high end play, but from my experience the tier 4 description that starts with "weak" doesnt apply either. If cedh fast combo decks are defined as turns 3-5 wins, this deck is easily in the 5-7, sometimes 8 range. Thats not weak, its just not the strongest either. On the times I have done multiplayer the deck has done surprisingly well even at tier 2 tables (even before I got my cradle), but I also understand variance from meta to meta is a thing so I'm not aiming exceptionally high on that front. 3 feels right, but again this deck isnt technically fully optimized.
- Vesuva is in the side board, and I have used it. It does find a place in the deck, right now the Stage is doing a bang up job for me though.
- Yes, as explained in one of my sections the wilds and expanse are place holders for the big daddy fetches. Again, funds.
- Ghost Town... I see that as using Gruul Turf's slot as it bounces itself, even though you run both (you run more lands in general). But the turf generates more mana and its colored, so imo its better. I'd need to playtest to change my mind on that. Maze of Ith... my typically 1v1 meta is against another combo deck, Arcum. Arcum doesnt attack, so thats probably maybe board material and meta dependent. Homeward Path is nice though. Worth considering if I get into more multiplayer games against more control decks or that surprise blowout in red. Wasteland... I have Strip Mine, currently dont feel like I need the redundancy. I feel a lot of these may be meta considerations to be honest.
Looking at your list, your average cmc is much higher. That may be where your mana concerns for my deck come from. It may not seem like much, but the difference between 4.1 and 2.71 is absolutely monstrous; even at the 3.2 my deck once was at I felt it was way too slow, and even though Hour of Promise is better than Realms Uncharted part of me really loathes the idea of increasing my average cmc by even that small amount.
You also seem to have gone for a much stronger land destruction package, presumably to slow everyone else down so your average cmc isnt as big a hurdle. I've thought about going that route too, but decided to make the janky combo as good as it could be. I just dont have the space to do a land destruction/control package proper imo.
Again, thanks for stopping by!
1 week ago
Oh, and also Bloom Tender will only tap for 2 mana since the only colors you'll control are green and red. I think there's a lot more efficient ways to spend $120. I mean, realistically, Gruul Turf does the same thing. Just saying.
Oh, and then there's this badass: Valleymaker.
I seriously think you built the perfect deck for him.
3 weeks ago
ScrOuch, lBahamutZeROWe seem to agree on most things here. I am working on getting my hands on an Ancient Tomb Expedition. I won't be taking out Gruul Turf ever though. It has flat out won me games already. Being able to bounce itself back over and over is amazing for landfall. Pairing it with Amulet of Vigor is just an occasional bonus.
JuQ: Although I do not discourage anyone from running Blade of Selves, I don't think I will myself. I have tested it myself, and there has always been better plays for six mana, and it is to circumstantial on a ton of things going right.
Spoosky: Glad you like the update. Things have been going MUCH better since the last two updates! The power level is back! I have been missing turn two ramp though since I took out Rampant Growth... I really would like to see Three Visits reprinted, or just a new ramps spell for 2-3 cmc!
ScrOuch: I am not a fan of the new Curses to be honest... The red one looks tempting for its cmc, but I is not for me man.
WHyFLy: Welcome to the Om_rath army!!! How have your games been going so far?! I find that I just run everyone over... I only get one game a night in when I go to play commander. I want to keep my friends lol. Although most would not consider this deck Tier 1 because it does not just win of some stupid combo on turn 2-4, I consistently wins within 6 turn, and is normally sooner if I go unchecked. That being said, I love the deck the most because it recovers better then any deck I have played. Someone can counter my "WinCon" and I just go trucking along to victory! Most "Tier 1" decks just pucker out of you get rid of their one or two infinite combo pieces. ( They really just need to ban Doomsday and foodchain already!!!)
Kneyo: Shaper's Sanctuary seems pretty interesting! It pretty much reads "Whenever an opponent spot removes Omnath, Locus of Rage draw a card." Although that is not to bad of an ability, I would much rather add another way to protect him if anything, lol. If it said 'player' and not 'opponent', then that would be a whole different story!
3 weeks ago
lBahamutZeRO- Going back to including Gruul Turf, I run Mina and Denn, Wildborn in my Omnath build, and them returning gruul turf to my hand led me to win a few games that I had no business winning against control decks since I had most of my lands already in play. I think if you run Mina and Denn, gruul turf is an auto-include. Without Mina and Denn, you can still strip mine yourself and return it to play with a crucible effect to guarantee landfall for the rest of the game with as many extra land-drops as you can have. I agree that Ancient Tomb is a great land, but I just wouldn't cut the Turf for it.
4 weeks ago
As from your questions in the advertise your commander deck thread, I would definitely run the Thornbite Staff and company for your combos. I'm personally a big fan of the card. I love the synergy you have there with Gruul Turf and Ghost Town.
4 weeks ago
-1 Gruul Turf
+1 Ancient Tomb
I understand the value of Gruul Turf with cards like Amulet of Vigor and Exploration, but I feel that having it early game without any of those effects, it becomes a very risky land to play. An opponent's Strip Mine is all it's gonna take to set you back a couple of turns. I would much rather run Ancient Tomb in this spot since you know you're usually going to get value from it the turn you play it. The 2 damage here is negligible when you consider how consistently you'll be able to set up and curve out. The Landfall abuse with Gruul Turf is the only thing I would consider running it for, and thus perhaps it is better to have that effect than not. Running both Gruul Turf and Ancient Tomb may as well be the optimal choice for this deck. Would like to hear your thoughts.
1 month ago
So these are the main land changes I would make. And that's provided you don't change any basic land. Change that Gruul Guildgate to a Rootbound Crag. Change a Rugged Highlands to a Gruul Turf. Yes it still comes in tapped but it taps for both red and green. Change the other Rugged Highlands to a Cinder Glade.
1 month ago
Looks pretty solid! Maybe consider: Purphoros, God of the Forge, Ghost Town, Gruul Turf, Vesuva, Lotus Cobra, Azusa, Lost but Seeking and Oracle of Mul Daya. I see these cards performing very well in this build. Here is my adaption of an Omnath build:
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 133 | 140 COMMENTS | 13451 VIEWS | IN 57 FOLDERS
Maybe it can provide you with a few ideas! Good luck fam!