Creature — Elf
Creature spells can't be countered.
Printings View all
|Duels of the Planeswalkers (DPA)||Rare|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Gaea's Herald occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Gaea's Herald Discussion
1 week ago
My concern for running more than 2 Planeswalkers is that I really don't have a lot of ways to protect them.Vivien Reid takes 4 turns to ult and will very likely be targeted quickly. Additionally, it costs 5, and doesn't contribute to reducing my commander's cmc.
I added Wren's Run Vanquisher for a couple of reasons. 1. Elf Synergy 2. Playing it is like playing an additional forest for my commander's sake (costs 2, but has a 3 power) 3. Deathtouch, which doesn't synergize well, but would maybe deter an opponent from just swinging in with something. Additionally, with all of the elf synergy, I can't help but think this 3/3 will be closer to a 5/5 or 6/6+ the majority of the time.
1 month ago
I really like your current list, for a start, especially City of Solitude. It was played against me once, and I hated it so much, that I actually liked it (after the game was over, of course).
To replace Paradox Engine, I suggest that you add in some more landfall effects such as Architect of the Untamed (although it might be too slow with the wrong hand), or Retreat to Kazandu (which I think is better, it gives you choices and can pump up Multani).
You could also try Crash of Rhino Beetles, but I don't really know what to replace for it.
I wish you and this deck luck (especially City of Solitude)
2 months ago
Last but not least, Might of Oaks
2 months ago
Your very top tier auto-include for lists is going to look like
- Force of Will "free"
- Pact of Negation "free"
- Swan Song cheap to cast and wide in restrictions
- Mana Drain color heavy but ramps the following turn
- Mental Misstep "free"
- Delay not color heavy and hits any spell, delaying for 3 turns is the same as solving it in very fast competitive EDH
Your situational includes are going to look like
- Force of Negation This can't protect your own combos, so it isn't wanted in every list. This is ran in QUITE A FEW lists though, always worth a consider.
- Counterspell Usually seen in mono or dual color decks as the cost can be hard in some 4 or 5 color shells
- Dispel Sometimes cut for a more general counter
- Muddle the Mixture Limited in scope and color heavy but this is more often slotted as a hard-to-counter tutor with a counterspell as icing on the top
- Narset's Reversal this card is pretty nice. While it does see a lot of play, it definitely isn't an autoinclude yet by any means.
- Spell Pierce Before you mock this card, consider how well it catches ultra fast mana rocks and tutors. Noncreature is very wide, and it stops Sol Ring Mana Crypt Mox Diamond Mox Opal Chrome Mox Mox Amber Mana Vault Vampiric Tutor Imperial Seal Mystical Tutor Worldly Tutor Gamble Dark Ritual and SO MUCH MORE. Even for a tempo card, you're still going to catch weird stuff like someone's Rhystic Study because they tapped out to pay for it. Its very strong against blistering fast combo decks, which is why it sees competitive play.
Other blue stuff is usually just too expensive. Paying over 2 mana for a counterspell just doesn't cut it when there are so many threats for so cheap. Don't pay more than 2 for a counterspell unless it does something wild on top. Counterspells with fewer restrictions on what it can counter are going to be better.
This is where it gets saucy boys
- Red Elemental Blast Pyroblast are VERY good. In a pod, there is almost definitely blue at the table. Every single red deck can slot these for commander without fear. Do note that REB works against any spell that includes blue (multicolor), while pyro only works against spells that are ONLY blue (monocolor).
- Fork Reverberate (Twincast) these allow you to copy a counterspell to create a counterspell. More access for red to counterspells. They also conveniently work very well against tutors, ramp, big draw spells, and extra turn spells.
- Guttural Response Weird hybrid color and somewhat restricted but still a good include in most RG decks.
- Burnout a bit worse then the elemental blasts as it costs 2 mana and it is limited. The cantrip is nice though
- Mana Tithe not that good in EDH but give it a whirl I guess
- Lapse of Certainty costing 3 hurts, but this is more a tempo card than anything.
- Dash Hopes Don't play this card in EDH lol
- Withering Boon on the chunkier end at 2 CMC, but in a color that doesn't get much of this. The 3 life and the restriction hurt, but definitely EDH playable. Every deck runs a commander, 99% of which are creatures
- Imp's Mischief can counter a spell by having it target Mischief, as can Misdirection Shunt Swerve and Ricochet Trap.
- Veil of Summer 1 mana green Cryptic Command
- Autumn's Veil Counterspell + silence against UB
- Bind I bet you didn't even know this card existed. Cantrips. GOOD IN THE YISAN MIRROR MATCH?
- Avoid Fate Weird protection oriented counterspell
- Nether Void Mostly ran in stax builds, brutal lockout card
- Planar Chaos One of my new favorite cards. Brutal with recursion like Hall of Heliod's Generosity. Play when you're ahead
- Deathgrip Lifeforce These are based if you have any method of color shifting. Realistically, you could run Lifeforce in Momir Hackball. These cards can cause scoops on casual tables lol.
- Vexing Shusher can render counterspells useless. Similarly, Dosan the Falling Leaf Grand Abolisher Prowling Serpopard Gaea's Herald can all protect against counterspells. Far more marginal but still worthwhile are Hall of Gemstone and Ritual of Subdual for turning off counterspells for opponents.
on Tron Wurms
2 months ago
Oh yay I found the wurm deck!
Then there is Obstinate Baloth and Veil of Summer that can help against discard and help get things to resolve....Gaea's Herald/Cavern of Souls and Leyline of Lifeforce are also good sideboard options.... dont let the flame die out!!!!
2 months ago
Weaver is far from bad. This isn't some Gaea's Herald garbage, this is asymmetric protection for mana and draw engines as early as the first turn. That's what the first half of the card says, the other half literally turns your lands into Najeela blockers, and that means they are also Tymna blockers.