|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Land — Mountain Forest
(: Add or to your mana pool.)
Sheltered Thicket enters the battlefield tapped.
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Sheltered Thicket Discussion
3 days ago
A budget manabase in 5 colours is hard. multimedia's advice above is pretty good. Another option is using the cheaper dual-type lands, like Cinder Glade and Sheltered Thicket , with the Mirage fetchlands ( Bad River , Flood Plain , Grasslands , Mountain Valley and Rocky Tar Pit ).
The problem with using these is they all enter the battlefield tapped most of the time.
1 month ago
Hey, nice budget upgrade of the precon. Good work in progress :)
Birds and Smothering are very good choices for expensive price upgrades. Helm is fine too because you added Aurelia and Godo to give you a combo win. Omnath at $7 is kind of out of place because not playing many ways to take advantage of sacing Elementals. Rampaging does the same thing as Omnath for less than $1 and it has trample. Armada Wurm and/or End-Raze Forerunners each less than a $1 could replace Omnath and have more impact. Hornet Queen at $2 creates some nasty tokens.
Interesting choice for the other expensive price cards: Iroas, Panharmonicon and Splinter. There's nothing wrong with these cards, but I don't think they're upgrades that a budget version of the precon needs. The $20 from these three cards could be better used for land upgrades. $20 can get you the three Check lands, one Shock land as well as some other lands and these will help your deck much more.
In my opinion the upgrades that the precon needs the most are lands, tutors and ramp. I see that you're playing pretty much the stock manabase from the precon, but there's many good lands in the maybeboard. Are you in the process of getting the lands in the maybeboard? If so my advice is make them priority for upgrades.
Some budget cards to consider adding:
- Battlefield Forge : colorless/colored mana source.
- Scattered Groves : dual land that can make white mana that Farseek can tutor for. Can be temporary until you get Temple Garden and/or Canopy Vista .
- Naya Panorama : colorless/colored mana source.
- Opal Palace : colorless/colored mana source.
- Game Trail
- Fortified Village
- Sheltered Thicket
- Eladamri's Call : one of the best creature tutors in Commander.
- Fierce Empath : creature tutor to blink.
- Open the Armory : tutor for Greaves or Helm. Having another way to tutor for Helm helps consistency of assembling the combo.
- Congregation at Dawn
- Sylvan Scrying : tutor for a colorless land source or Command Tower , etc.
- Orcish Lumberjack : can tap the Forest to make mana before you sac it meaning Lumberjack combined can make four mana which is very good for a one drop. Lumberjack and a white source can get Ghired onto the battlefield fast.
- Avacyn's Pilgrim
- Talisman of Impulse : colorless/colored mana source.
- Talisman of Unity : colorless/colored mana source.
- Talisman of Conviction : colorless/colored mana source.
- Eldrazi Displacer : with colorless mana sources blink for Ghired and other creatures. Can protect Ghired, after he attacks, triggers, blink him out of combat.
- Mirror Entity : busted with Atla Palani, Nest Tender since it can turn all your creatures into Eggs. Can activate it's ability for no mana making all your creatures 0/0s. They all die, each one cheating a creature from your library onto the battlefield. Entity is also a good card with tokens because until end of turn it can pump all your creatures/tokens to huge amounts depending on how much mana you can make.
- Ogre Battledriver : repeatable pump and haste when creating tokens. Can be a win condition with Entity and Alta giving all the creatures/tokens you cheat onto the battlefield haste. Casting Ghired after getting Battledriver onto the battlefield can give an opponent a beating with haste; doing a combined 16 damage with Ghired and two 4/4 Rhinos.
- Armada Wurm : creates a token with trample, good with blink. 10 power of trample for 6 mana.
- Hornet Queen : creates nasty flying tokens, good with blink.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Rugged Highlands
- Blossoming Sands
- Graypelt Refuge
- Kazandu Refuge
- Myriad Landscape
- Sungrass Prairie
- Emmara Tandris
- Doomed Artisan
- Full Flowering
- Ghired's Belligerence
- Slice in Twain
- Aura Mutation
- Growing Ranks
- Flameshadow Conjuring
- Omnath, Locus of Rage
- Splinter Twin
- Iroas, God of Victory
If you like some of these suggestions I offer more advice about these potential additions and the cards I'm suggesting to cut. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Some lands to consider to improve the mana base: Exotic Orchard , Sheltered Thicket for draw, Canyon Slough for draw, Jund Panorama and Tainted Wood / Tainted Peak should be reliable with the green ramp spells to fetch a basic swamp.
With your commander's triggered ability, you'll want to find ways to stack the top of your deck. Sadly, all of the best stuff to do this is very expensive. The only ones I could find that seem reasonably priced were Cream of the Crop and Haunted Crossroads .
Last One Standing is a cheap boardwipe that will usually get rid of the important stuff. Especially good if someone in your meta plays a tokens deck as it decreases the odds that the only creature standing is anything too troublesome.
Wasitora, Nekoru Queen is on theme and can be additional removal or token generation.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Hey, excellent budget deck. You have a clear grasp on deck building and using mostly the best cards given the low budget. It's nice to see a deck playing green and including many one drop mana dorks. You have no idea how many times a week I suggest for people to include one drop mana dorks in their decks...
Champion of Lambholt is very good with creature attacking strategies and a low mana cost creature base. The evasion she can provide makes it much safer to attack with creatures and make mana with those creatures with Rahda. Especially with creatures who create tokens: Summoner, Krenko, Warboss, etc. Each token that's created triggers Lambholt. Beastmaster Ascension and Vitalizing Wind are much better potential win conditions when your creatures have evasion. However I don't think Wind is a good enough card to play.
Genesis Wave is pretty busted when you can generate a lot of mana consistently and it can put enchantments onto the battlefield. Comet Storm can be an X damage to all opponents spell. Duskwatch Recruiter Flip is a good mana sink to put creatures into your hand.
I see Stomping Ground and Sheltered Thicket dual lands that Wood Elves , Nature's Lore or Farseek can search for and put onto the battlefield. Karplusan Forest and Game Trail are two other playable budget Gruul dual lands.
Upgrades to consider with close to matching card price:
2 months ago
Sheltered Thicket has two types, mountain and forest, so it helps with Kird Ape . Maybe you can focus on your lands to surprise your adversary with Primal Bellow , you may try Ash Barrens or Evolving Wilds . Or, following the shout style: Roar of the Crowd .
In fact this deck can use a lot of cards ideas. So I believe you will maintain it opened for new ideas you may have for quite a while.
2 months ago
Hey, nice job keeping the budget low and interesting version of Xenagos with Planeswalkers.
The majority of my budget cards suggestions to you to consider are lower mana cost cards to help to reduce the avg. CMC of your deck which is high at 4.4 or cards that are the same mana cost, but are upgrades.
Cards to consider adding:
- Command Tower
- Cinder Glade
- Sheltered Thicket
- Elvish Mystic and/or Llanowar Elves : ramp.
- Greater Good : repeatable draw.
- Farseek : dual land ramp.
- Fierce Empath : creature tutor.
- Signal the Clans : creature tutor.
- Garruk, Primal Hunter : repeatable creatures and draw.
- Chaos Warp : instant permanent removal.
- Gruul Signet and/or Talisman of Impulse : ramp.
- Rhythm of the Wild : make your creatures uncounterable and haste enabler.
- Beast Within : instant permanent removal.
- Moldgraf Monstrosity and/or Greenwarden of Murasa : creature reanimation or any card recursion.
These are cards that I think can help your deck since they provide something that's missing here. Early game ramp is good when playing a five drop Commander who you would like to get onto the battlefield quick. There's also many high mana cost creatures here that more early game ramp can help to cast them. Farseek can search for a dual land: Cinder Glade or Sheltered Thicket . Being able to land ramp with a dual land is helpful. Elvish Mystic and Llanowar Elves are one drop mana dorks who are some of green's best cards for Commander.
Creature tutors: Fierce Empath and Signal the Clans are helpful to get a creature into your hand after getting Xenagos onto the battlefield. Either, but especially Empath can get Ghalta, Primal Hunger . Repeatable draw is very good in Commander especially draw that has interaction with your Commander. Greater Good and Garruk, Primal Hunter is powerful repeatable draw when you have a creature with a lot of power which a creature gets from Xenagos's ability. Ghalta for instance can draw 24 cards after doing 24 combat damage. Greater is also good with Moldgraf Monstrosity , a way to kill it which then reanimates two creatures giving you more fuel for both Xenagos and Greater.
Moldgraf and Greenwarden of Murasa are ways to recur or reanimate cards from your graveyard. They are creatures which gives them interaction with Xenagos and Greater. Having recurion/renaimation is helpful in Commander because your creatures are going to die and being able to use a card more than once is good. Chaos Warp and Beast Within are versatile instant removal spells in Commander since they can target any one permanent this includes a problematic opponent land.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Timber Gorge
- Gruul Guildgate
- Shivan Dragon
- Essence of the Wild
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon
- Rumbling Slum
- Zhur-Taa Ancient
- Protean Hulk
- Shamanic Revelation
- Hunting Wilds
- Planewide Celebration
- Blanchwood Armor
- Consign to Dust
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
@Ilnez, Depends on what you mean by Taplands. Scattered Groves and Sheltered Thicket are great. Besides the sweet desert flavor, the basic land types allow them to be tutored, and they are the first things I go for if I don't need mana that turn or if they are being tutored into play tapped with something like Farseek. Cycling is swell too, though it got way powered down by my cutting of Crucible/Ramunap. If you're talking about Blossoming Sands , yeah that card is trash. I haven't played with it since putting it in, so we'll see if it drives me crazy having it in there, but the flavor is ON POINT, so I wanted to give it a try.
Knight of the Reliquary is definitely a bit of a relic from the old build. I was hoping to slot it into the new deck See the Durdle of Enormous Girth, but it just doesn't really work in a 5(4)-color build. I'm undecided about what to do, as I love this card. The flavor is fine, but not so specifically good that it's vital to keep in there. Ulvenwald Hydra, on the other hand, is still powerful enough to warrant inclusion in my opinion. I can rush him out early for the ramp or get extra value out of him later with Panharmonicon or Diamond Valley . And yes, getting Cradle is always wonderful!
@FenIsABasicSwamp, I definitely didn't hear the news. Where have you been sent, and by whom? Hope you're enjoying it! I will take a look at the flavor list and rejoice as soon as I finish the Count of Monte Cristo here and dive back into God Emperor!
Sheltered Thicket occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%
RG (Gruul): 1.57%
BRG (Jund): 1.0%