|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Expeditions (EXP)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Add , , or to your mana pool.
Fire-Lit Thicket Discussion
3 days ago
Hey bud, just wanted to drop some advice as resident Loam expert.
Your mana base is a little funky for this style of deck. Since you have so many of the triple cost enchantments, Fire-Lit Thicket is a must because it helps you cast either as easily as possible. 2 is enough, but I saw some other guy suggest taking them out without knowing what they're talking about.
You also don't have enough draw lands. I like 5-7 in a two color build. Forgotten Cave , Tranquil Thicket or the horizon lands need to be in here in full force. The cycle lands are about twice as good as the horizon lands, so definitely more of them in the mix.
Some lands to take out: Copperline Gorge and Cinder Glade aren't doing much for you and are kind of a wasted land slot. You're a loam deck, take advantage of that. you can also go down to 2 creature lands.
As far as your main deck goes, Throes of Chaos is a terrible card. Sure, it's fun, but if you want that effect just play Bloodbraid Elf . Throes is really just kind of a waste of mana because you could be doing so many other things. Flame Jab and Worm Harvest can go up in numbers. If you feel like you have to play throes for the fun factor, just play one and use it when you have nothing else to do. Or you can play like Lightning Axe or some other burn.
Anyway, I like the deck, I just think these few little fixes could make it a lot more effective. Have fun Loaming!
3 days ago
Fiery Islet sorry bro they didn't do Red Green maybe next
Sideboard: Personally i like Cindervines for removal. It does cost 2 cmc instead of 1 like Nature's Claim and its not instant, but it does make people pay for casting spells. If the opponent uses cards with retrace it can help dampen that maybe, or if there is a storm player. This is the only suggestion i have i like the deck and don't want to change it ha.
1 month ago
Looks good, however I'd still lower the number of dragons and add some interaction and draw:
- Night's Whisper - 2 cards for 2 mana and 2 life? It's great!
- Worldly Tutor - instead of having 'whatever' dragon you get 'exactly' what you need, same thing with Sylvan Tutor and Sarkhan's Triumph .
- Nature's Claim - very cheap interaction and giving 4 life against draconic force means absolutely nothing.
- Abrupt Decay - without white and lack of exile effects you must still up the number of removal you get here and there's no better option than a little more specific Assassin's Trophy .
- Llanowar Elves - classic dork, that can be used in place of 1 of your worse performing land.
- Lotus Cobra - since you have more of 'land matters' theme I'd consider this card and if you can afford some more fetchlands it works wonders (even 2 slow fetches will do).
- Gruul Signet and Rakdos Signet - 2 cmc rocks that add and one of the supporting colors might lower the avg. CMC and smooth out early game.
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - a 3 cmc dork, that can provide card draw AND can tap for immense amounts of mana for only !
- Sarkhan the Mad - can be translated here as 'kill one player'
- Fire-Lit Thicket - might be worth giving a shot thanks to it's flexibility
1 month ago
- Ramp is always good, unless of course you don't have anything big to ramp into.
- Fauna Shaman is a great filter card
- Cragganwick Cremator is slow, there are a lot of decks that win by turn 4, you would cast him turn 3. And hope they dont have removal and deal not leathal damage so It might not be great.
- Magus of the Moon isnt modern viable, he is to easy to remove you want blood moon. Every deck has creature removal not every deck has enchantment removal.
- Scavenging Ooze is a side board card in my option, unless you need it for your combo.
- Impervious Greatwurm great in token decks,with lots of ramp, but dies to easily in modern. you play that I play Path to Exile , is not good in modern if you want a 10 drop that does work you want elzardi like Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger .
- Steel Leaf Champion is a great mana efficient card that runs well in mono green stomp. I dont really see him else where.
- Tireless Tracker is a good card it does work.
- Fire-Lit Thicket aka filter land, arent good in modern. The best way to get the colors you want is with fetchlands, the only time you really dont use that is when shuffling is an issue.
- Kessig Wolf Run is run in some great decks, id keep. Look at RG Eldrazi Modern.
- Lightning Bolt is a great finisher and removal spell, I almost always recommend 4 copies in any red deck.
- Your SB (sideboard) is not great. You want cards that are answers to your enemies decks. I wont leave comments on that being your deck is going to change so its harder to plan a SB.
Bloodbraid Elf amazing card in the right deck
the best thing for you to do is look at modern decks that are tournement ready. Youll see cards that are used and why they are used. Itll help build your deck. Especially in these colors. Advise from people here is helpful as well. If you want me to be more nit picky I can be. If you need anyhelp just message me here or something.
There are some on my page in folder if you find that easiest
Have a nice week.
5 months ago
Rakdont thanks for the comment!
Raging Ravine is sort of a relic from Kiki-Chord, where it did good work for me. I disagree that this deck can't take advantage of the extra clock when the game stalls; the deck is loaded with small-medium creatures that are getting in chip damage over the course of the game (Noble helps a lot there), plus some legitimate attackers like Resto and Shalai. My theory was that it was close to a free-roll, having just 2 / 22 taplands in colors that could use the fixing anyways probably wouldn't hurt the mana much, but you definitely might be right that the cost isn't worth the benefit. Other stuff I was considering there were Fastlands or Filterlands ( Fire-Lit Thicket ), or possibly Horizon Canopy .
Dryad Arbor is really interesting, and having 1 summoning sick land wouldn't be a big issue if the payoff is there. The only issue is that the payoff currently isn't there; the deck doesn't really have anything good at CMC 1 to search for off of Arbor. I could definitely add a 1-drop for that, but I don't know what it would be. Any ideas?
6 months ago
Hey, looks good, looks fun.
Consider adding these cards:
- Command Tower
- Sol Ring
- Chromatic Lantern
- Greater Good
- Quicksilver Amulet
- Elvish Piper
- Eladamri's Call
- Summoner's Pact
- Eternal Witness
- Nature's Lore
- Woodfall Primus
- Iona, Shield of Emeria
- Day of Judgment
- By Force
Cards to consider cutting:
- Colossus of Akros
- Emrakul, the Promised End
- Nylea, God of the Hunt
- Primordial Hydra
- Ulvenwald Hydra
- Brutalizer Exarch
- Collected Company
- Eerie Interlude
- Boundless Realms
- Primal Surge
- Release the Gremlins
- Boros Garrison
Consider these cards to make the deck more competitive:
- Scroll Rack
- Fetch Lands
- Sneak Attack
- Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
- Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
- Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
- Blightsteel Colossus
Rack is busted with Mayael. You can repeatedly use cards in your hand to set-up the top of your library so when you look at the top five with Mayael you'll always have a creature to cheat into play. Sneak is excellent as an alternative way to cheat big creatures onto the battlefield while giving them haste. The Eldrazi: Kozilek and Ulamog are among the biggest and best creatures to cheat into play. Annihilator is busted with haste and when these Eldrazi/Blightsteel are sac EOT they go back into your library.
Competitive Commander manabases use Fetch lands. They're especially good with three, four and five color decks because they give you so many choices of lands since they can tutor for dual lands. ETB tapped lands are not what you want to play when being competitive. You want all your lands to ETB untapped so you can use the mana they provide the turn you play them otherwise you'll get too far behind, not able to cast spells. Consider these lands for a more competitive manabase: Fetch lands, Shock lands (already have them), Battle lands (already have them), Battlebond lands, Filter lands, Check lands, Rainbow lands?
Consider this more competitive manabase example:
- Ancient Tomb
- Arid Mesa
- Bloodstained Mire
- Bountiful Promenade
- Canopy Vista
- Cinder Glade
- Clifftop Retreat
- Command Tower
- Fire-Lit Thicket
- Flooded Strand
- Homeward Path
- Mana Confluence
- Kessig Wolf Run
- City of Brass
- Reflecting Pool
- Rootbound Crag
- Rugged Prairie
- Sacred Foundry
- Spire Garden
- Stomping Ground
- Sunpetal Grove
- Temple Garden
- Reliquary Tower
- Windswept Heath
- Wooded Bastion
- Wooded Foothills
- Yavimaya Hollow
- 5 Forest
- 2 Plains
- 1 Mountain
Good luck with your deck.
7 months ago
9 months ago
Lets have a look at some possible additions: Savage Ventmaw would be good as you can haste it then get 3 and 3 the same turn, allowing you to cast more.
Hydra Omnivore For those bigger games, and his a big boy.
Etali, Primal Storm For those same cast turn swings that should get you some nice stuff.
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed would be amazing, more so if you're looking at going creature focused.
Hellkite Tyrant for steeling all the artifacts and a long drawn wincon (Vs artifact decks).
Mina and Denn, Wildborn should replace on of your elves.
Blightsteel Colossus is also a big wincon for you.
That's it for creatures for now.
Chaos Warp its an important card in red, its removal of used for keeping your own things safe. This is a fantastic instant for you.
Blasphemous Act is an amazing removal card you should add.
And Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx is highly recommended.
OH! don't forget Ghalta, Primal Hunger
Fire-Lit Thicket occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%