|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Thopter Spy Network
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control an artifact, put a 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
Whenever one or more artifact creatures you control deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Thopter Spy Network Discussion
1 day ago
Hey fun deck. I got an idea or three..Infiltrate, Artful Dodge, Slip Through Space, Shadow Rift, Spellheart Chimera, Runechanter's Pike.... Teferi's Veil + Obliterate is an old school combo that can save your creatures and give you extra ETB triggers. It might not be good enough, but it sounds hilarious enough. Archaeomancer, Izzet Chronarch, Charmbreaker Devils. I love how Sharding Sphinx goes exponential if you can get through with the thopters. It might be cool to have Thopter Spy Network too, since you are already using thopters. Happy gathering!
3 days ago
Thanks again for the awesome insights!
Just like Thopter Spy Network, I do own a sleeved copy of Mindslaver right beside the deck. The problem with it is hate. I love combos around Mindslaver and I tried numerous ways to build my old Glissa, the Traitor deck so I could take advantage of it. The problem is that both new and old players will see Mindslaver as a big target on me. It can end the game just the same way + do, but the fact that it does it by stealing turns vs taking extra turns is percieved more negatively, at least in my circles. For this reason I tend to keep my decks as politically correct as possible. I have a Narset deck that I can't play in my regular playgroups because everyone feels miserable playing against it and my killing floor Meren of Clan Nel Toth is as close of that status as it can be - one more upgrade will probably make it unplayable with my friends. For this reason I tend to be very cautious with my win conditions (and I still don't know if Blightsteel Colossus won't have the same effect, but I've been telling everyone I play it and how I can get it, so they all know how to prepare for it before actually facing it, so no one is salty if I win with it).
Of course things change, and if my playgroup develops in a way that most people end up trying to run for a combo, of course I will include that one with no reserves whatsoever. And I hadn't thought of a way to go infinite with it, which definitely makes it much better than just leaving a big warning sign on the table or stealing one turn here and there, since the game ends quickly that way. But since I am the only player within the group that usually goes full on combo, I try to be sensible about the ways I win and give people ways to have fun, even when I'm winning - again, this only happens because my playgroup is pretty casual. If I played frequently in a more cutthroat group, I'd definitely run each and every different combo and win con I could fit together, so I will add it to my maybeboard and keep it in mind as well - especially because it's the cheapest combo for me to get at this point, since I only need Goblin Welder which I should be running regardless.
3 days ago
I was convinced I had it in my maybeboard (it is one of the cards I have sleeved, stored right beside the deck). It was one of the first cards I included while throwing cards together from my collection, and one of the last I cut to make way for others that I thought were more effective.
I really like the card, and I try to include it in way too many decks - which is probably why I end up cutting it from most decks, because I think too highly of it more often than not. In this deck, more than one thopter a turn, the card advantage clause is where the true value might be for this deck, helping find combo pieces quicker.
I have to play the deck a few times and I am sure that in the long run I will find a few underperformers, and by then almost surely I'll try Thopter Spy Network, I honestly don't know if it will be as good as I hope, better or worse. But I do like it a lot and it is surely one autoinclude for more budget oriented decklists - since it is dirt cheap and can take the place of other expensive cards while still being very synergistic with the deck.
Thanks a lot for your comment!
3 days ago
3 days ago
hi! i really like your deck. What do you think about Thopter Spy Network ?
2 weeks ago
I think the idea is great, but there are several areas I would make some cuts. Just FYI, I have built a Mechanized Production deck and found that Clues are better than servos or thopters because they are harder to interact with than creatures. That said, a deck that powers out either could win just as easily without mechanized production so your deck is certainly fine in that regard.
I would add Metallic Rebuke that can easily be a 1 mana Mana Leak with all of your artifacts. I would remove Efficient Construction. You currently only have 6 artifacts to cast. That is far to few to get the benefit of that card (Thopter Spy Network it is not). Also, I would cut or only run one Whirlermaker. It is also a very slow card. I think Destructive Tampering is more of a sideboard card. I tried Reverse Engineer in my Mechanized Production deck and ultimately cut it for Glimmer of Genius. It is just better, and instant speed is much better as well. I would cut Filigree Crawler in favor of more Metallic Mimic and maybe an additional Pia Nalaar I wouldn't go above 3 of her due to legendary status. Metallic Mimic would help with beatdown strategy and would also count towards Mechanized Production. Pia is just a great card for a variety of reasons. Her second ability has won me a fair share of games. Overall, I like the deck and think it could be solid. It just needs to be focused down a bit. Best of luck and happy brewing!
3 weeks ago
Thank you very much for the praise and the nice suggestions, nighthawk8!
Yes I agree and I am really trying to find the sweet spot between strong, flavourful and fun to play with this deck.
I'll comment on all of your suggestions below. Short version: I'll definitely try Smuggler's Copter, Umezawa's Jitte and Thieves' Fortune. Some of the others (like Duskmantle Seer, Thopter Spy Network, Notion Thief and Drana, Liberator of Malakir will go into my "Maybeboard" because there could be a spot for them in the future. The rest of the cards was already in an earlier version of the deck and did not work well enough.
Detailed comments on the suggestions Show
- Smuggler's Copter: I haven't thought about that card yet but you are right: art, style and functionality fit very well! I can crew it with Sygg, River Cutthroat so it is easy to get both the loot and draw triggers in turn 3.
- Thopter Spy Network: This is an interesting card and the abilities would fit very well. I think I excluded it early because I did not use to play as many artifacts as today. I'll have to check how often I have an artifact in play to decide on this -> otherwise I risk having a dead card in my hand / play.
- Duskmantle Seer: I like the style of this card a lot. a 4/4 flying for 4cmc is also solid. He lacks an enter the battlefield ability and rogue creature type but he might be worth a slot, especially because his draw ability can trigger Syggs draw ability (would be much better if the ability would tigger in my opponents upkeeps though).
- Marang River Prowler: This one was in an early version of the deck. I also thought that he would be a boss but unfortunately he did not deliver what I expected. The problem is: I can't cast him before turn 3 and then he does not deal enough damage to trigger Sygg. Also I can usually keep a few creatures back in my hand so I do have replacement ready if one of my creatures dies. And if the board gets wiped I also can't cast him because I have almost no black non-creature permanents in the deck..
- Notion Thief: This guy is really cool, it lets me steal card draws (which is something I can't steal yet!). I had him in the deck for a short time but was unable to get any value out of him.. But I should probably give him another try, especially in multiplayer games where he can get a ton of value.
- Whispersilk Cloak: This one has some nice flavour but otherwise it does not work in this deck: for this cmc and equip costs my rogues do always prefer a knife (or sword).
- Dimir Cutpurse: The lack of evasion limits the usefulness of this otherwise cery cool card.
- Thieves' Fortune: Yes! I can't really remember why this card isn't in the deck at the moment because it is so cool! I'll try to find a slot for it again.
- Umezawa's Jitte: This card would probably fit very well for both flavour and efficiency. I did not consider it yet because it does not grant any bonus to power when you first attack with it. But it is very versatile and I'll probably give it a try if I happen to get my hands on one.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: This is an interesting choice, because it could allow me to turn an unimpressive board into a lethal thread after a few turns.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: I had her in a earlier version of the deck. I do really love the card (I do also play her as a commander [Thassa, God of Tentacles EDH]) but she did not shine in this deck. She takes away too much tempo (I need to play something that deals damage on turn 3 if possible), almost all creatures do already have evasion and she made Sygg a target because of his 2 devotion. I'll keep her in mind though, might even give her an other try.
3 weeks ago
I love your deck! I am a fan of decks that run flavorful cards over powerful cards, this is the most fun and satisfying way to build a Commander deck in my opinion. I mean, you don't play Commander to have the strongest deck but to have the most fun deck and get to play with your favorite cards from Magic's entire history you've always wanted to see shine.
Some Suggestions for your deck:
Thassa, God of the Sea - Evasion when needed and makes your draws smootherSmuggler's Copter - The name and mechanic fit the theme of the deck. It is evasive and triggers Sygg by itself.Thopter Spy Network - Fits Mechanically, maybe not rogueish enoughDuskmantle Seer - highly recommend him, you profit because of your low mana curve, also looks like a Rogue kindaMarang River Prowler - Rogue with RecursionNotion Thief- very flavorful, Rogue, ETB AbilityWhispersilk Cloak - flavorful and grants protection and unblockableDimir Cutpurse - no evasion but lets you draw a card and your opponent discardThieves' Fortune - a prowl version of Impulse (if you don't like to play the mainstream cards)Umezawa's Jitte - best equipment ever printed (not as good in Commander though)Drana, Liberator of Malakir - Helps you trigger SyggOther Cards: Nightveil Specter, Jhessian Thief, Vampire Nighthawk (just because of the art, but probably better not to include)
I hope I could give you some inspiration. I am also thinking about building a similar Sygg deck, but probably won't happen because I can't afford building multiple Commander decks at once.