|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
- Sword of the Animist and Retreat to Emeria interaction
- Sword of the Animist and Gideon Ally of Zendikar
- What is the order of Slab Hammer and Sword of the Animist?
- undergrowth champion given trample?
- Which happens first in a case of a creature having multiple instances of "Whenever this creature attacks, X happens."
Sword of the Animist
Legendary Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
Whenever equipped creature attacks, you may search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Sword of the Animist Discussion
1 day ago
My first advice would be that your artifact count is simply too low to reliably hit Metalcraft. I would add the artifact lands (Darksteel Citadel, Ancient Den, and Great Furnace) and more strong, cheap equipment (like O-Naginata, Tenza, Godo's Maul, Sword of the Animist, Inquisitor's Flail, Fireshrieker, etc).
I've never liked Hero's Blade much, since its equip cost is so prohibitively high unless you attach it to a legendary creature.
Mirran Crusader seems both on-theme and powerful. Bastion Protector can protect your commander pretty easily. Silverblade Paladin and Duelist's Heritage give that most-sought-after keyword, double strike. Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder and Akiri, Line-Slinger both seem really good here.
I didn't have much time to really make an in-depth analysis at the moment, so I'll take a little more time to look it over later, but you definitely get my +1 ;)
1 day ago
Nice deck! I got a few ideas:
Expedition Map to search up an important land like Nykthos or Emeria. Staff of Nin is a nice card draw engine and pinger. Being the monarch helps keep the hand full, maybe Palace Jailer or Throne of the High City could be good. Although now that I am thinking about it Protector of the Crown is awesome... I imagine if he was indestructible it could be quite hard to kill you. Sword of the Animist is a great way to thin the deck of excess lands, it ramps, plus it combos nicely with Emeria Shepherd and Emeria, The Sky Ruin. Memory Jar & Scroll Rack are great colorless card draw engines, but they cost a few more bucks. Favor of the Mighty would protect Avacyn from targeted removal. I know you have a high CMC commander, if you think you need more ramp Mind Stone, Marble Diamond, Star Compass, and Coldsteel Heart are other quality mana rocks.
on Landy Dandy
1 day ago
Landfall is always a blast to mess with :) this looks nice and solid. I would probably add a few things to take care of enchantments/artifacts, just because green is so good at it :)
5 days ago
Alrighty: my first suggestion is to bump up your land count. Even though this is a relatively low-curve deck, you still want to run probably around 36 lands. If you don't, you risk having a high percentage of unkeepable opening hands because of low land count. Again, this is a super low-curve deck, so you could probably get away with 35 or perhaps even 34, but I would only recommend cutting from 36 after extensive playtesting.
Next, you're gonna want way more ramp and waaaay more card draw. I'm pretty sure the only card I saw that draws you more cards is Mentor of the Meek (which is a good option!). You are playing with graveyard shenanigans, so the graveyard will act as an extension of your hand during the average game. But there's no replacement for drawing cards off the top - graveyard shenanigans won't help you dig for a board wipe when you desperately need one, etc., etc. Good card draw in these colors include Phyrexian Arena, Painful Truths, Dreamstone Hedron.
Faithless Looting could be a good option here. While it doesn't strictly draw you any more cards, it does dig you through your deck and puts stuff in your graveyard to boot for Alesha to play with later.
Additionally, I would recommend upping your ramp count as well. Sword of the Animist is an under-utilized card, and I like it in this list. But you should definitely be playing all of the signets: Rakdos Signet, Orzhov Signet, and Boros Signet. Having Turn 2 ramp can be super valuable in a game to help propel you forward at a quicker rate than some of your opponents. Additionally, swap out Phyrexian Lens for Chromatic Lantern. It's a strict upgrade (as the Lantern gives the same effect and doesn't cost you life), and having the mana-fixing properties of the lantern is always a relief in a 3-Color deck like this. It's a little pricier, but it's a necessary card for any deck running 3-Colors and up.
I would HIGHLY recommend watching this video: Command Zone Deck Building Template
These guys are commander pros, and this video is all of their advice on how to approach building a new EDH deck. Obviously take your own artistic license into account, but for hashing out your first deck, you could do much worse than to listen to their advice.
1 week ago
cracks knuckles This should be fun! :)
One of the first EDH decks I ever played against was a Kemba voltron deck, and my pet deck has been my Judgment Day: Avacyn the Purifier EDH | *PRIMER* voltron list (which also might give you some ideas). There's a beauty in simplicity inherent in Voltron strategies. With some experience with Voltron, here are my thoughts on your list:
1) Generally speaking, it does work better to whack people with your commander, just to take advantage of that handy commander damage rule. But I understand that your non-reliance on your commander is the unique thing about this deck, so I won't suggest swapping commanders. That being said, I would test a few games with Sram at the helm, because he's one heck of a drug in this kind of deck ;)
2) Your creature base looks fine. The only major omission I see is the lack of Mother of Runes here. Ranger of Eos and Recruiter of the Guard can also be great tutors. And Silverblade Paladin is great for getting in faster damage and giving doubled Swords triggers...
6) With an average CMC of 3.4, I personally would not dare play as low as 34 lands (Maze of Ith doesn't count because it does not produce mana).
7) I would take a look through your equipment and cut the lower-impact ones. In any deck planning to win via combat damage, every single card needs to have a major impact when it hits the board. I've never found Deathrender or Haunted Cloak to do enough to justify their inclusion in my decks.
8) Double strike is your best friend in aggressive decks. I am currently loving Duelist's Heritage (though many of the best options are in boros colors alas).
9) Your primer seems like a good start! :)
1 week ago
Thanks for the comment, Grantley91.
As I said earlier, this deck is still going through some changes. It is going from a somewhat Voltron build, to mostly Voltron.
I started out early on trying to pillow fort Omnath, but ended up moving away from that strategy and more toward protecting the mana he's storing rather than Omnath himself. I do think I'll take your advice though and add Darksteel Plate, and maybe Lightning Greaves and/or Swiftfoot Boots to the build.
2 weeks ago
I'm in the process of revamping my Ayli deck into a tribal deck and your decklist gives me some great ideas so thank you for that. Welcome back to magic :) Some feedback for you:
I think instead of categories named "ramp" and "mana rocks", they should be "ramp" and "draw". This will give you a better idea of how many draw spells you actually have, which (in my opinion) you don't have enough for such a low mana curve. And on the ramp side of things, I'd stick in 2-3 more.
More commander protection.
Considerations for adds
- Westvale Abbey Flip - Good alternative win-con and an okay token generator if you have nothing else to do
- Wrath of God / Fumigate / etc - OG wrath, and a great on-theme wrath. I'd recommend more than just the one you have but it depends on playgroup. Also casting this after you get the Battalion trigger from Frontline Medic makes me foam at the mouth
- Suture Priest - second cousin of the soul sisters
- Pious Evangel Flip - third cousin,twice removed in-law of the soul sisters
- Sun Titan - Double recursion, and you have so many targets with your curve
- Dawn of the Dead - What's nice about this recursion option is you aren't forced to exile the creature if it'd somehow leave the battlefield through other means cough Ayli cough
- Knight of the White Orchid - ramp
- Wayfarer's Bauble - ramp
- Sword of the Animist - ramp. You'll most likely sac the creature away before combat resolves anyway.
- Pristine Talisman - ramp, lifegain. Best of the bunch of 3 CMCs for this deck. Possibly 1-2 additional 3/4 CMC* rocks.
- Oath of Lieges - ramp
- Swiftfoot Boots - protection
- Gift of Immortality - protection. I love comboing with this and a high toughness creature although it can also be used for Ayli
- Darksteel Plate - protection
- Trading Post - great utility for this deck
- Heliod, God of the Sun - Not the best God out there but very thematic for the deck
- Viridian Longbow - turns Ayli into a sniper with her Deathtouch
- Illusionist's Bracers - double up Ayli's abilities
- Custodi Soulbinders - big boy in multiplayer
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - if you have a lot of non-humans this could go a long way
- Archangel of Thune / Cliffhaven Vampire / Vizkopa Guildmage - weaponize that lifegain
- Pontiff of Blight - I see him in your sideboard--I think his ability is great for this deck and he's got a big butt
- Phyrexian Processor - with enough lifegain you could make X pretty large. Combos great with Children of Korlis
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel - this guy can damn near win the game for you if you can recur him enough times
- Tree of Perdition - somewhat gimmicky but you can see its potential with Ayli
- Any of the three Elspeth Planeswalkers are solid in this deck.
- draw - I'm struggling with this myself. Ambition's Cost, Greed, Necropotence, Jar of Eyeballs, Dark Prophecy, Mind's Eye, Disciple of Bolas, Harvester of Souls, Promise of Power
Considerations for removal
- Exorcist - I'm not a fan because it's only black, that's too restrictive
- Orzhov Signet - *my issue with the signet is that it's CMC is 2 which conflicts with Ayli. I'd rather get slightly more value out of a 3 CMC the turn after
- Orzhov Pontiff - Ability seems minimal at best but maybe i have tunnel vision
- Hidden Stockpile - Maybe switch to Bitterblossom if price isn't a concern. Or, if you add some of the other token generators maybe this one won't be needed anyway
- Martyr of Sands - Not nearly enough card draw to get a huge benefit out of this