|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Exile target attacking creature an opponent controls. At the beginning of the next end step, return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||Justinaut , Riku580 , dplerner , bradyofportdetroit , Espi14 , bakunet , duff87 , electrolynx , KingOfGrixis , MattN7498 , Swamy , itheoryz , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , CampbellStev|
|Want (14)||kovellen , ivanmartinez , Cartridge , Demonblade52402 , kirasu , LinkOpensChest_wav , VampSlayer , eastly , choss_monkey , mils , Mahtimatonen , rikimaru188 , imlinuxgeek , Sigmafie|
Mystifying Maze Discussion
3 days ago
This is my first commander deck I got a few months back and have built it up slowly but am in dire need of help finishing it. I know it is slow and probably bad but I like it and it suits me just fine. I like how it can focus on the graveyard but the only strategies I have for it is the Duskmantle Guildmage and Mindcrank set and the Sphinx's Tutelage. Any help is appreciated.
Commander: Inalla, Archmage Ritualist
2 weeks ago
Um. Pelakka Wurm isn't really very good.
3 weeks ago
Mystifying Maze for another maze effect? also I'd recommend running Azorius Signet and Talisman of Progress over coalition relic and dynamo,seeing as both can be cast on turn 1 with sol ring, and both produce blue and white mana
1 month ago
Gezien gisteren, Op naar 45land! + Urza's Factory, + Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers + Rogue's Passage + Thaumatic Compass Flip + Springjack Pasture, + Maze of Ith, + Mishra's Factory, + Mutavault, + Mystifying Maze
1 month ago
Needs more Rat Colony
With only 6 Relentless Rats you need half of your total number on the battlefield to even make them 4/4s. Most of the time they will be 3 mana 2/2s. You need a critical mass of Relentless Rats--at least 20. If you want to dedicate only a small portion of your deck to the Relentless effect, then Rat Colony is much better; unlike Relentless Rats it benefits from any rat you control, including Marrow-Gnawer's tokens. Pack Rat is also superior if you have many non-Relentless Rats.
Rat Colony is strictly better than Swarm of Rats. It's also generally better than Bog Rats, Carrion Rats, Muck Rats, Nezumi Cutthroat (fear isn't worth a large power loss and "can't block", especially when Marrow-Gnawer provides fear), Pestilence Rats (Rat Colony gets +2/-2 under most conditions and costs 1 less), and Earsplitting Rats (not enough graveyard/discard synergies).
I'm not sure how Shriveling Rot serves the deck.
There are two Cabal Strongholds, so one needs to come out. Cycling lands--Barren Moor, Polluted Mire, and Desert of the Glorified--hedge against land-heavy draws. Some cheap utility/value lands like Zhalfirin Void, Encroaching Wastes, Mystifying Maze, or Temple of the False God might be good over some number of Swamps too.
Phyrexian Tribute -> Scour from Existence, Unstable Obelisk. I know black is bad with artifacts, but there is a reason Phyrexian Tribute is in 55 edh decks, and the other two are in over 5000 each, and it isn't just color restriction. They cover all five permanent types instead of just one, including the equally hard-for-black enchantments. Requiring two creatures to sacrifice, Phyrexian Tribute isn't even always easier to cast, and it's effect is far less flexible.
Speaking of Unstable Obelisk, more mana ramp would be prudent, like Wayfarer's Bauble, Mind Stone, and Commander's Sphere. Bontu's Monument isn't Jet Medallion, but is still worthwhile with 27 creatures.
I don't think there are enough graveyard synergies to make Living Death appropriate.
Night Dealings is slow, does nothing if the battlefield isn't somewhat favorable, can potentially get removed, makes you reveal, and can't get lands. Razaketh's Rite and Mastermind's Acquisition tutor with no fuss. If you want slow, multi-card tutoring, Diabolic Revelation, Demonic Collusion, and Increasing Ambition are reliable options. Although none feature Nezumi in their art.
2 months ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds