|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Uncommon|
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs Kiora (DDO)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for up to two basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||pskinn01 , Yawkcorb , TheGrayMerchant , MattN7498 , rakdos24 , CAPT.Shock , xXThormentXx , Dr_Jay , Unjust_DiabIo , Venser_the_Sojoner , Tommuz , ironax , Nebman227 , thekingpinBR , DrPopular , Famicomania|
Explosive Vegetation Discussion
7 hours ago
5 days ago
I was unable to find a tribe in your deck. There are some token generators, but few enough that a tribal card would be a dead draw most of the time. For those reasons, I'd recommend removing these:
A lot of the utility of the deck comes from being able to massacre your tokens in the name of -1/-1 counters (e.g. Blowfly Infestation and any of Flourishing Defenses, Nest of Scarabs, or Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons herself. Add Blood Artist (or similar) and it's an infinite wincon). Any creature with 2+ toughness will not be killable from a single counter, so anything that buffs toughness without a major benefit just weakens the deck. For those reasons, I'd recommend cutting these:Skullclamp.
Various other cuttables:
- Spread the Sickness - sorcery speed kill is pretty "meh".
- Shambling Swarm - the counters go away at end of turn, and it's likely he'll die in a boardwipe (so there won't be anyone to put the counters on anyway), and he has 3 devotion.
- Soulstinger - similar to Shambling Swarm, it's likely he'll die in a boardwipe (so there won't be anyone to put the counters on). Also, you're getting a weak creature in the hopes of doing something useful with it - better to just get a good creature in the first place.
- Decimator Beetle - moves one counter, once per turn, and it has to attack to trigger.
- Essence Warden - the lifegain doesn't get you anything
- Fume Spitter - insufficient recursion to really get a benefit from him
- Wicker Warcrawler - why include a creature that just gets worse?
- Tower Above - i'm on the fence on this one. The CMC is a bit high, but the benefits could be large.
- Needle Specter - Also on the fence. I like it more than the spell though.
- Rendclaw Trow - a 2/2 with wither and nothing else. 2 damage will just be ignored on attack until he dies in a wipe, or manages to block and get you (at best) 3 tokens.
You need to have a minimum of 37 lands. You're also playing , the color whose greatest strength is the massive ramp it can accomplish. If you swap all the cards noted for lands and acceleration, i would expect the deck to play significantly better. Also, don't use rocks for the ramp, unless land-wipe is common in your meta. It's easy and common for artifacts to die, but (usually) much harder to kill a land. I'd recommend the standard ramp:
- Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- Kodama's Reach
- Skyshroud Claim
- Explosive Vegetation
1 week ago
You could also think outside the box and go for Plasm Capture.
As for green Explosive Vegetation is a favorite.
You could make use of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx which is another that I use in my angel deck.
1 week ago
1 week ago
Hey there! Awesome deck you have here (and Maelstrom Wanderer is probably my favorite commander, so that doesn't hurt)!
I agree you need a little more mana fixing; fortunately, Green is very good at this. Kodama's Reach and Cultivate are both amazing at ramp and fixing, and Farseek, Explosive Vegetation, Skyshroud Claim, and Urban Evolution are as well (keep in mind that you can get any forest with the Claim, not just basics). Gilded Lotus is also an option.
Some other general suggestions I have for you:
- Scroll Rack is great at setting the top cards of your library for your commander to cascade into, while putting extra lands to the bottom.
- I enjoy Bane of Bala Ged as a devastating Cascade target, although it does draw some hate.
- Great Whale is hilarious to cascade into, and gets you infinite mana with Deadeye Navigator.
- Magus of the Mind is also a great cascade target.
- Regrowth is better than Recollect, although I can understand if you prefer the promo.
- Pathbreaker Ibex is generally game-ending, especially with the haste from Wanderer.
- Blasphemous Act is a board wipe that you don't cascade into.
- Primal Command is great for its extreme versatility.
- Future Sight lets you see the top card of your library to determine when to pull the trigger on casting Wanderer. It's also great with Top.
- Mind's Dilation is just generally amazing.
- Spearbreaker Behemoth can protect your big things.
- Recurring Insight is amazing card draw, often drawing you 10+ cards.
Finally, I do think your mana base needs a little work. I find 37-38 lands is appropriate for a ramp-heavy deck like Wanderer, so you can certainly cut a few lands. I'd recommend the checklands (Rootbound Crag, Hinterland Harbor, and Sulfur Falls), the painlands (Karplusan Forest, Yavimaya Coast, and Shivan Reef), the shocklands (Stomping Ground, Breeding Pool, and Steam Vents), the temples (Temple of Mystery, Temple of Abandon, and Temple of Epiphany), and the fetchlands if you can afford them (Wooded Foothills, Misty Rainforest, and Scalding Tarn). Ash Barrens is also amazing due to the shuffle effect if you need it, and Frontier Bivouac is fine if you need the fixing.
Hope this helps!
2 weeks ago
Out: Forbidden Orchard, Rugged Highlands, Simic Guildgate, Swiftwater Cliffs, Thornwood Falls, Counterflux, Pulse of Murasa, Gilded Lotus, Sylvan Caryatid, Combustible Gearhulk, Inferno Titan, Hour of Eternity
In: Alchemist's Refuge, Exotic Orchard, Temple of Abandon, Temple of Epiphany, Temple of Mystery, Explosive Vegetation, Dig Through Time, Fierce Empath, Parallel Lives, Voidslime, Tooth and Nail, Blue Sun's Zenith
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Pretty good! I like that the whole deck is very affordable. I used your deck as a point of reference while building my own Thromok deck: Thromok's All-You-Can-Eat Buffet. Just a few suggestions:
- While Warstorm Surge and Mage Slayer are indeed formidable picks for a Thromok deck, you mentioned in your description that using them with Thromok enables you to win via Commander Damage. However, state that only combat damage counts as Commander Damage, and the damage produced by these two cards is not combat damage. You're right about Whispersilk Cloak enabling a win via Commander Damage though.
- Unless you're trying to keep the running total price just barely under a certain threshold, I'd upgrade Xenagos from a "maybe" to a "definitely," given his sheer mana production potential in a token deck, and also for that handy extra token when you need it. As for what to pull to make room for it, my first thought is a lesser ramp card with the same CMC, namely Explosive Vegetation.