Search your library for up to two basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
|Want (9)||UnitedWeStand , hoodedgamepwner , Etinifni , BaconTrail , Vee.o , MinerMan1747 , spacemonkey0042 , Shankmaster4k , MikeyCantStop|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Uncommon|
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Kiora (DDO)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Explosive Vegetation occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.11%
RG (Gruul): 1.51%
GU (Simic): 0.55%
BRG (Jund): 1.05%
RGW (Naya): 1.76%
Explosive Vegetation Discussion
4 days ago
Even with the ramp you're getting, still running fairly low number of lands. I would get that up to maybe around 35ish.
Explosive Vegetation can work but is often fairly expensive to cast for ramp unless really necessary but given your average CMC, I find Cultivate works just as well and costs less to cast, making it a little faster.
2 weeks ago
One suggestion comes immediately: Wild Pair. The card is perfect for tribal decks. Explosive Vegetation is more vital ramp. Plus, Sarkhan's Triumph; a tutor for a dragon? Surely that is one of the first things to go into a deck? Where Ancients Tread could also be of use to you but is not a must.
3 weeks ago
Interesting build. If this is really a Hydra deck, then Gargos, Vicious Watcher is probably the better general but Nylea, Keen-Eyed is a cool choice. Also, there are a few interesting picks in here. First off, I would cut one of your two Genesis Waves for a Forest or some other green non-basic or utility land. I'll stick with non-creature spells for now. I'd for sure take out Tempt with Discovery in favor of a Skyshroud Claim, Circuitous Route, or Explosive Vegetation. Other than that everything in non-creatres looks pretty good. If you're looking for cuts I'll list the top few cards I think could get cut. Nissa, Vital Force doesn't seem at her best since you don't have too much landfall synergy. Bow of Nylea isn't an amazing card, but it is a super utility piece and it's very flavorful. I'd also say you could try slotting in a Kenrith's Transformation or a similar green removal enchantment. Return to Nature, Krosan Grip, or Reclamation Sage (Since you're running Woodland Bellower) could also warrant a slot for additional removal. You also seem a tad bit short on card draw. You've got a little bit, but I think it could be bolstered a bit. Harmonize, Zendikar Resurgent, Guardian Project, and Lifecrafter's Bestiary are all good options. Just a couple other ideas here: Rhonas's Monument, Nissa's Pilgrimage, Shared Summons, and maybe a Triumph of the Hordes or Overwhelming Stampede.
4 weeks ago
Some potential cards. Most of these might be side-grades or out of budget but are worth noting in the Maybeboard. I have a few of these:
Creatures are obviously optimal, what with elf anthems and counters and stuff. I would try to squeeze in the first three if you can. The tempo of getting your commander down on turn 2 is amazing.
Fyndhorn Elves , Priest of Titania , Boreal Druid , Farhaven Elf , Leyline of Abundance , Castle Garenbrig , Llanowar Tribe , Overgrowth , Reap and Sow , Kodama's Reach , Explosive Vegetation , Nature's Lore , Ranger's Path , Skyshroud Claim , Grow from the Ashes , Emerald Medallion , Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip, Harrow , Circuitous Route
Rishkar's Expertise , Soul's Majesty , Mirror Shield , Zendikar Resurgent , Primal Rage , Heroic Intervention , Return to Nature , Overwhelming Stampede , Overrun , Beastmaster Ascension , Loxodon Warhammer , Colossal Majesty , Rancor , Vivien, Champion of the Wilds , Blossoming Defense , Withstand Death , Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Momentous Fall , Nature's Claim , Once and Future , Regrowth , Wildest Dreams , Road of Return , Creeping Corrosion , Season of Growth , Blanchwood Armor , Sandwurm Convergence , Garruk, Primal Hunter , Vivien Reid , Vivien of the Arkbow , Ghost Quarter ,
Aspect of Mongoose is nice but prevents untapping shenanigans with your commander.
Some obvious out-of-budget stuff here and some lower-powered stuff too but I'll suggest them for posterity.
Llanowar Reborn , Karn's Bastion , Forge of Heroes , The Great Henge , Incubation Druid , Loyal Guardian , Tuskguard Captain , Pollenbright Druid , Solidarity of Heroes , Biogenic Upgrade , Durable Handicraft , Planewide Celebration , Courage in Crisis , Verdant Confluence , Bow of Nylea , Contagion Clasp , Contagion Engine , Hydra's Growth , Path of Discovery , Retreat to Kazandu , Forced Adaptation , Evolutionary Escalation , New Horizons , Nissa, Voice of Zendikar , Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter , Vivien, Arkbow Ranger , Kalonian Hydra , Arbor Armament , Stony Strength , Savage Summoning , Hunger of the Howlpack , Soul's Might , The Crowd Goes Wild , Armory of Iroas , Weapon Rack , Predatory Hunger , Primeval Bounty
I have a Drove of Elves I'm not using
4 weeks ago
The first thing I noticed while looking at this deck is that it's way too light on lands. With a seven-mana general, you're likely to get mana-screwed, especially if your mana elves die. I'd look to add about 9-10 more lands, maybe cutting some ramp if you start flooding out. Lands are generally better than mana elves.
Rather than mana-producing dorks like Elvish Mystic and Druid of the Cowl , you should probably be playing spell-based mana ramp such as Rampant Growth and Cultivate . The reason for this is that if someone casts a board wipe, all of those mana-producing elves will die and you'll lose your mana acceleration. The good news is that the spell-based ramp I mentioned is usually common or uncommon, so you won't have too much trouble finding them. Other spells to consider in this vein are Farseek , Kodama's Reach , Skyshroud Claim , Circuitous Route , Explosive Vegetation , Sakura-Tribe Elder , Wood Elves , and Farhaven Elf .
You really want ramp because Damia is so expensive, and also because after you empty your hand casting those spells, Damia helps you refill. That's her main strength, so I'd suggest building her with big-mana strategies in mind. X-spells like Villainous Wealth and expensive monsters like Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger are probably what you'll be aiming for, with Damia to help you refill your hand as needed.
I have my own (slightly quirky) take on Damia here if you want some further ideas for how to fully take advantage of her: Damia Discard
1 month ago
Thank you, aschutz! I agree that Cultivate is a staple, but in this deck it occupies a weird place on the mana curve where it doesn't actually accelerate you into Arixmethes (since you'll usually be playing land #4 on the next turn anyway) and does not provide the same raw acceleration of Explosive Vegetation (or its strictly better cousin Circuitous Route , which will take its place as soon as I find one). This is why I chose Vegetation over a second Kodama's Reach effect, though in 99% of games it doesn't make much of a difference either way.
1 month ago
This is not bad at all. I have a couple of suggestions off the top of my mind though...
First off, I highly recommend using custom tags to sort your cards. To do this, go into the "edit" mode where you can see your card list. It will look something like:
You can then add tags by using #Category after a card. For example:
1xArbor Elf #Ramp
This will assign Arbor Elf to the "Ramp" category. Unsorted cards are assigned to "Other" by default.
I recommend these categories;
- Ramp (Aim for 12-16 of these. A card that costs more than 4 mana is too slow to be reliably called Ramp)
- Draw (At least 12)
- Removal (Around 8, make sure you can deal with other commanders/creatures!!!)
- Sweepers (Boardwipes, Green doesn't really have many it's okay)
- Support (Stuff that isn't obviously powerful but makes certain cards in the deck busted. Examples are your equipment)
- Lands (Obviously. Aim for 34-37. This deck wants 34-36)
The remaining cards can be categorized based on the specific inner-workings of your deck. For example, this deck might have a "Big Bois" category for creatures that are just huge.
Depending on your sorting preferences, it can by okay to tag one creature with multiple tags. For example;
1x Thorn Mammoth #Removal #Big_Boi
Onto my Card Suggestions:
- Soul of the Harvest is nice for card draw and comes with a big smashy body + Trample.
- Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic are fantastic replacements for Leaf Gilder and Druid of the Cowl , assuming you want to go for efficiency.
- Beast Within and Acidic Slime are super helpful for dealing with nonsense of all kinds.
- If you are willing to pay $1.50 a pop for them, Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are good additions and could replace Explosive Vegetation and Circuitous Route in a pinch. -Other really nice Ramp includes Rampant Growth , Wild Growth , Fertile Ground and Utopia Sprawl . Ramp is life. - Fierce Empath is cheap and very effective at finding your creature answers. I run it in any deck that likes to use specifically powerful creatures, AKA green ones, lol.
- These ones are a tiny bit janky and unreliable, but Ezuri's Predation , Whirlwind and Monstrous Onslaught are green boardwipes.
- Swiftfoot Boots . Assuming you really like haste and hexproof on a 12/12 trampler, it is worth having another copy of Lightning Greaves by a different name. Also, this card is hilarious: Fleetfeather Sandals
- Apex Altisaur can cause some havoc. Often, getting rid of your opponents' engine pieces is the difference between life and death.
- Surrak, the Hunt Caller is an overlooked Green Haste Boi who could do work in this deck.
- Silklash Spider just because I'm very used to going toe-to-toe with flying decks. Granted, that's just my meta, but Silklash still does work as a defender in the case of no fliers. Heck, you're still happy even if you don't see any fliers - you want a ground game in the first place!
- Yeva, Nature's Herald is CRAZY. She effectively also gives Ghalta haste, which is all kinds of sweet.
- Rogue's Passage . It doesn't even take up a nonland slot!!! Free VALUE!!!!
- Zendikar Resurgent because cards + mana = happiness
Onto the cards I would suggest cutting:
- Elixir of Immortality . Your deck doesn't ever want to be in a game where this utility would be useful. This card simply doesn't do much. You already have Eternal Witness and if you really want a late-game reload, try Creeping Renaissance or Seasons Past .
- Gigantosaurus is alright, but I'm not in love with a 10/10 with no abilities. I know, I know, he makes Ghalta cost only 2, but I still think there are better options. Trust me when I say a creature with some sort of utility is preferable here. Ideas include the aforementioned Soul of the Harvest , Primordial Sage or a fight creature such as Thorn Mammoth or even another removal creature like Woodfall Primus or Terastodon (sorry, I know these are all really high CMC). Generally, cards that don't have some sort of utility are just not going to save your life when things get ugly.
- New Horizons and Gift of Paradise could be replaced with faster ramp. For the sake of having creatures (for cards like Guardian Project and Beast Whisperer , not to mention Ghalta, Primal Hunger ), it would even be better to run Wood Elves , Springbloom Druid , Yavimaya Dryad , or Farhaven Elf .
- Diamond Mare just isn't relevant. Sorry, but if you are in a position where gaining a small amount of life matters, odds are any other good green card would have done more to prevent you from being in such a bad spot. Your deck wants to be the aggressor, and quite honestly your offense will be so scary that most opponents wouldn't even consider attack out of fear of provoking you and simultaneously tapping their defenders. It isn't uncommon for a Green deck to retain the highest life total for a long time without the need for lifegain.
- I think you have a few too many artifacts. Remember that your commander LOVES having creatures on the field, so finding ways to turn your artifact utility into creature utility will go far.
- Staff of Nin is very slow and could be something like Garruk's Packleader instead.
All things considered, you've got a reasonably strong lineup. In a broad sense, I would recommend finding ways to include creatures with utility, since Ghalta appreciates bodies on the board and interaction allows you to curb your opponents' shenanigans as much as possible. Additionally and as I noted, there are fairly budget-friendly ramp options for the deck that are purely faster. Remember to keep a close eye on your Ramp and Draw, as these are the lifeblood of a commander deck, midrange especially.
It is worth mentioning that I never go below 34 lands. 35, and 36 are usually safe, so if you find yourself land-starved just add like 2 Forests and that should help.
Overall, you've done a good job though. Good luck making edits and please feel free to contact me about further changes/advice. I LOVE deckbuilding and Green is one of my colors ;)
1 month ago
Rampant growth is bad.
I have this ramp rule of thumb. If a ramp card doesn't put me 2 ahead its likely worth a closer look. I'd rather play Explosive Vegetation than Rampant Growth I'm not a fan or ramp cards that feel like card disadvantage. That's why I like Cultivate so much more than Rampant Growth . Mind Stone is leagues above rampant growth and mind stone is budget.