|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Verdant Sun's Avatar
Creature — Dinosaur
Whenever Verdant Sun's Avatar or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain life equal to that creature's toughness.
Verdant Sun's Avatar Discussion
3 months ago
- Cut 2 or 3 lands. You run 10 ramp without counting doublers. Or cut like 2 lands and 2 ramp.
- Courser of Kruphix Not a dino, just play ramp
- Oracle of Mul Daya Not a dino, just play ramp
- Reclamation Sage Not a dino, dino does it better
- Sakura-Tribe Elder Not a dino, replace with ramp, dino ramp
- Sky Terror Too vanilla, replace with ramp or dino ramp
- Scroll Rack You did this in Narset, wasn't tht great
- Eerie Interlude Not enough ETBs to count, if this is to dodge wraths boros charm and heroic intervention are better.
- Cacophodon I'm not seeing where you are going to benefit from untapping a single target
- Path of Mettle Flip
- Sylvan Library it's a great card, but I think you are trying to just ramp and get your value off your commander.
- Mana Geyser To me this is best in mono red or in something with X spells.
- Wayward Swordtooth Not that great in EDH
- Raging Regisaur it's in here for ping i think, you didn't seem to keen on it.
- Privileged Position
- Asceticism this and priv pos are both for protecting, with your 90 haste enablers I'm not sure i'd worry about protecting.
- Neheb, the Eternal If this is here to go infinite/near infinite with Aggravated Assault run the whole busted mana package that goes infinite with it (or at least more than just 1) Sword of Feast and Famine , Druids' Repository , Bear Umbra , Grand Warlord Radha , Savage Ventmaw
- Whispersilk Cloak Only having one of this effect seems odd
- Signets - I like the new lockets better. More mana but later on you can sac them to draw cards. Up to you
- Atzocan Seer idk, feel like i'd rather just kodama's reach. HIs second ability could be relevant.
You're missing a bunch of the best dinosaur cards in my opinion
- Commune with Dinosaurs Early gets a land, late gets a dino. Always replaces itself.
- Thundering Spineback Only a 5/5 but is an anthem and makes more dinos
- Carnage Tyrant Literally the best dinosaur ever printed, has all of the keywords you'd ever want on it but haste
- Burning Sun's Avatar Bolts something, bolts someone, and is costed correctly
- Rampaging Ferocidon So good it's banned in standard, shuts down other creature based decks. Can hurt you but likely you are winning if this is hurting.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar If you wanna flip your deck, why not gain all the life at the same time
- Runic Armasaur It's a dino, it's prison, it's got better stats than it's mana
- Overgrown Armasaur Reclamation sage-esque but on a dino
- Kindred Summons 7 mana, basically same as your creatures, and can double your creature count at EOT....
- Overwhelming Stampede Your average power is like 10 in this deck, +10/+10 and trample on everything ends games.
- Naya Charm First mode is meh, second mode can be good, third mode allows you to take out someone
- Charging Monstrosaur haste and trample and on curve
- Bellowing Aegisaur This thing gets huge fast, but doesn't have trample
- Iroas, God of Victory Not a dino, but is combat relevant, makes it easier for your dinos to get through and win
That gets you no where near where you need to be. To me you have too many enchantments might look there more.
4 months ago
@TheRedGoat Thanks for your suggestions and sorry for my bad englado.
The deck is built to draw a ton of cards and it pretty much always does. The only thing that can get in our way is, when we keep a starting hand without something for card draw, we don't draw anything similar and our creatures (which were to kill Grothama) will be removed. In this case a cheap early card draw spell like Life's Legacy or Hunter's Insight could be really useful. (When i built the deck, i was also considering those two but simply forgot to put them to the Maybeboard.
The Great Aurora - I've never seen this card before and I'm not quite sure if we need more lands on the battlefield, when we can already cast a 9 mana spell. The card draw is pretty sweet tho combined with Psychosis Crawler . (And you are right, the deck makes it easy to have a handsize of 20+ cards.)
Death's Presence - Could be pretty neat, but I'm not sure if I would cut antyhing for it.
I'd never suggest to play Grothama, All-Devouring just to have her on the board. Only play her, if you can make use of her ability in that turn or can protect her until your next turn.
Verdant Sun's Avatar - Personally I like the card, but I never felt needing it.
I can only recommend Grothama, All-Devouring if you like card draw and smashing face with big hitters. She definitely has a unique ability which you can't find on any other card in magic. Beside Barktooth Warbeard , Grothama is my favorite EDH deck.
4 months ago
Some cards I notice you don't have and so would ask if you've considered or tested them:
The Great Aurora can be a fairly one sided board wipe when you have a hand twice the size of everyone else combined. (Also works for token decks mind you)
Ravenous Slime could discourage others from attacking into your commander.
Verdant Sun's Avatar seems like a good way to keep yourself alive for a bit.
Do bear in mind I have no idea what your meta, usual play-style, or budget is like when asking these questions. I am considering Grothama versus Ghalta for a green stompy build, so I'm kinda just throwing out ideas that I might use for either one.
7 months ago
Most of the answers to your question are in Platinum Emperion's reminder text: "You can't gain or lose life. You can't pay any amount of life except 0."
You don't gain life from the abilities on Zacama, Primal Calamity, Wurmcoil Engine, Verdant Sun's Avatar, or Dragonlord Dromoka. You don't lose life when you're dealt damage by Mana Vault or Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. You're not allowed to pay life to activate fetch lands, to let a shockland enter untapped, or to keep extra cards from Sylvan Library.
7 months ago
I'm currently working on a Mayael the Anima Deck. Some cards manipulate life in some way. Such things include Shocklands, Fetchlands, Zacama, Primal Calamity, Wurmcoil Engine, Verdant Sun's Avatar, Dragonlord Dromoka, Sylvan Library, Mana Vault, & Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. Based on these Rulings...
1/1/2011 The ability doesn’t prevent damage. Rather, it changes the results of that damage. For example, if a creature with lifelink deals damage to you, you won’t lose any life, but its controller will still gain that much life. Similarly, if a creature you control with lifelink deals damage to another player, that player will lose life but you won’t gain any life. Notably, if a creature with infect deals damage to you, you’ll get that many poison counters.
1/1/2011 Abilities that trigger whenever damage is dealt to you will still trigger because that damage is still dealt, even though your life total doesn’t change as a result.
1/1/2011 Spells and abilities that would normally cause you to gain or lose life still resolve, but the life-gain or life-loss part simply has no effect.
1/1/2011 You can’t pay a cost that includes the payment of any amount of life other than 0 life.
How would each aforementioned card work? From there, I'll decide what stays in the deck...
Thanks, just in case one answers this huge wall...
7 months ago
8 months ago
connorbitw Hey man, you should try running Azusa, Lost but Seeking and Courser of Kruphix, both speed up land ramps like decks such as these. Also try looking to getting some Fetch lands and Shock lands. They're super helpfull in decks like this as well considering fetch lands can give you that extra land fall per turn. I would also try adding Oracle of Mul Daya she too would help your land ramp. I would also consider Omnath, Locus of Rage, he might be the strongest card for a deck like this. In general omnath is the way to go. Especially if you tech in Verdant Sun's Avatar you could literally gain like 40-50 life a turn. It would be awesome in this. I would try Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger. There are so many different techs but these are the main ones i would look into.
9 months ago
Slagwurm Armor:I like the card, but the problem is I'd have to take a card out, any idea what card(s) I should take out?
Oathsworn Giant:It is a nice anthem effect, but since it is on a creature it'll get removed easily. I'd rather play an enchantment or artifact.
Forbidding Watchtower: Definitely! I love myself some flavor!
Geist of the Archives: Depends if I'll find a wall to take out.
Sight of the Scalelords:This is what I meant with the oathsworn giant. Nice card.
Forgotten Ancient: But he doesn't have defender though.
Bramble Sovereign: I already thought about this one, but it will depend if I want to spend the money on it.
Verdant Sun's Avatar occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%