|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Verdant Sun's Avatar
Creature — Dinosaur
Whenever Verdant Sun's Avatar or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain life equal to that creature's toughness.
Verdant Sun's Avatar Discussion
1 week ago
3 weeks ago
Otherwise, I’ve been looking at your deck and really don’t know what to suggest other than that you’ll want to pick a direction.
Stompy aggro doesn’t really lend itself to combo (and vice-versa,)
cards like Verdant Sun's Avatar are great in the right deck, but win-more in aggro (you should be beating them down before you need the life,)
Rings of Brighthearth is also a great card, but for here I’d suggest Strionic Resonator instead. (Or as well as...but we’re talking cuts here) Copy Atla’s trigger instead of copying the 0/1. There are better ways to double your tokens that are only one-time investments.
Otherwise, what feels right to you? What kind of decks rub your jollies the right way? What would you like a departure from? These are questions that could help you narrow it down a bit. Most of your creatures are strong, but 48 is too many without obviously trimming the rest of the deck down. That’s where I’d start cutting. What effects is the deck you end up with really going to want?
2 months ago
Verdant Sun's Avatar would gain you a lot of life, lol.
2 months ago
Then you probably also want some big boys or value producers to go along with those combos. For example, Avenger of Zendikar goes along pretty well with the Mirror Entity combo. Additionally, Polyraptor , Gruul Ragebeast , Verdant Sun's Avatar , Trostani, Selesnya's Voice could be big help too.
Also haste enablers like Urabrask the Hidden , Anger , Fervor , Fires of Yavimaya , Hammer of Purphoros , Rhythm of the Wild . Another great combo would Shifting Shadow , which'll get you a two for one if you attach it to an egg (although the second creature gains haste, but will die)
3 months ago
Draconos89: I appreciate the shout-out, but I must admit I don't play Arena or MTGO, so my knowledge base isn't well suited to decks in those metas. Off the top, I definitely understand a lot of the reasoning that Lambofan217 has in his above breakdown, and would recommend going more in that direction for your deck as well.
In general, lifegain strategies are really only beneficial against aggro decks, so cards like Verdant Sun's Avatar and Imperial Ceratops fare much better in your sideboard against faster/more aggressive decks.
Rather than Kinjalli's Caller for ramp, why not Drover of the Mighty and/or Otepec Huntmaster ? If you draw into Drover after you have Marauding Raptor on the field, it is a 3/3 and thus will survive the Raptor's attack. While Huntmaster won't survive post-Marauding Raptor, it acts like another Raptor in the deck by also being a 2cmc creature that reduces the cost of your Dinos, but also has the upside of haste-ing whichever dinos enter the board after it. This helps keep pressure up on your opponent until you can drop Regisaur Alpha for the blanket haste as well. I think these non-Dino ramp creatures will be more effective in your deck than Kinjalli's Caller.
I don't really understand why you have Wilderness Reclamation in this deck, since you don't utilize any instant-speed effects besides Icon of Ancestry that benefit you keeping the mana open. I think if you keep this, you should consider adding some more mana-sinks you can activate at instant speed, like Thundering Spineback to use your mana to start building up a herd of 4/4 trample dino tokens.
I honestly think the deck is better served without Wilderness Reclamation, and replacing it with more dig/search effects to take some pressure off of Vivien. Commune with Dinosaurs seems like it would be really good in Dino tribal, since if you somehow whiff and find no dinosaurs in the top 5, you can at least grab a land instead and filter out 5 cards to get you closer to more dinos. Plus, if you include Thunderherd Migration , you can T1 Commune to dig and find a dino, then T2 Thunderherd Migration revealing the same dino you found with Commune and continue ramping to get your big dinos out faster.
Savage Stomp seems like an auto-include in any dinos deck, but especially one utilizing the Enrage mechanic. It only costs G when you target a dino, and since Fighting has the opponent's creature deal damage back it is a guaranteed Enrage trigger on top of targeted removal. That seems incredibly useful. I would probably also include one or two copies of Dinosaur Stampede as a win-con, since it is a combat trick and grants all your dinos Trample to push through that last bit of lethal damage.
Again, take all of this with a grain of salt, since I don't know very much about the MTGA meta, or what type of "typical dinosaur decks" you are trying to be different from. Either way, Dinos are pretty freaking badass though, and it seems like you have strong bones in this deck to improve upon!
3 months ago
I have been playing Dinosaur Tribal ever since Ixalan came out and have a few things to suggest. The main problem still is that the white dinosaurs kind of suck in today's standard. I had splashed into Jund dinos way back in Guilds of Ravnica and find it much more consistent and competitive against the top tier decks of the meta. With the support that those colors got in M20, its safe to say that that is still going to be your best option. Now for individual reasons about cards.
Kinjalli's Caller : Though the mana reduction and the high health body is very attractive, the main focus for dinosaur decks is to push damage through. With this having 0 power, it does literally nothing on its own.
Imperial Ceratops : Even with Maruading Raptor being able to hit this as it comes down, lifegain generally isn't revelant in a ramp style deck. Granted, it does well against aggro, so I would use this in your sideboard if you keep with the white color.
I'm gonna put Verdant Sun's Avatar and Silverclad Ferocidons together here. These bad boys cost 7 mana. That alone is a huge thing to make happen. 4/5 times you will find these stuck in your hand and unable to be played.
Blood Sun : I understand that this meant to combo with Lotus Field however having a 3 mana enchantment that doesn't affect your board at all is really bad. I was recommend playing Ripjaw Raptor instead. With Marauding Raptor , it's essentially 3 mana and it gives you a creature that can continue to draw more.
Wilderness Reclamation : I see that you want to run Vivien, Champion of the Wilds in your deck and that's completely fine, however, you will probably find that you will rarely end up playing anything at instant speed, making the extra mana unusable. Also, if you draw this late, it ends up being a dead draw.
Raptor Hatchling : I love this card don't get me wrong. However, I think this is better save as a sideboard option against aggro, especially mono red.
Now a couple of cards that I would recommend would be Regisaur Alpha , Ripjaw Raptor , Savage Stomp , and Domri, Anarch of Bolas as they speed up your deck and add more power to the board, as well as giving you some removal options and enrage triggers. If you want cards to use against control, Carnage Tyrant still typically gets the job done.
9 months ago
- Cut 2 or 3 lands. You run 10 ramp without counting doublers. Or cut like 2 lands and 2 ramp.
- Courser of Kruphix Not a dino, just play ramp
- Oracle of Mul Daya Not a dino, just play ramp
- Reclamation Sage Not a dino, dino does it better
- Sakura-Tribe Elder Not a dino, replace with ramp, dino ramp
- Sky Terror Too vanilla, replace with ramp or dino ramp
- Scroll Rack You did this in Narset, wasn't tht great
- Eerie Interlude Not enough ETBs to count, if this is to dodge wraths boros charm and heroic intervention are better.
- Cacophodon I'm not seeing where you are going to benefit from untapping a single target
- Path of Mettle Flip
- Sylvan Library it's a great card, but I think you are trying to just ramp and get your value off your commander.
- Mana Geyser To me this is best in mono red or in something with X spells.
- Wayward Swordtooth Not that great in EDH
- Raging Regisaur it's in here for ping i think, you didn't seem to keen on it.
- Privileged Position
- Asceticism this and priv pos are both for protecting, with your 90 haste enablers I'm not sure i'd worry about protecting.
- Neheb, the Eternal If this is here to go infinite/near infinite with Aggravated Assault run the whole busted mana package that goes infinite with it (or at least more than just 1) Sword of Feast and Famine , Druids' Repository , Bear Umbra , Grand Warlord Radha , Savage Ventmaw
- Whispersilk Cloak Only having one of this effect seems odd
- Signets - I like the new lockets better. More mana but later on you can sac them to draw cards. Up to you
- Atzocan Seer idk, feel like i'd rather just kodama's reach. HIs second ability could be relevant.
You're missing a bunch of the best dinosaur cards in my opinion
- Commune with Dinosaurs Early gets a land, late gets a dino. Always replaces itself.
- Thundering Spineback Only a 5/5 but is an anthem and makes more dinos
- Carnage Tyrant Literally the best dinosaur ever printed, has all of the keywords you'd ever want on it but haste
- Burning Sun's Avatar Bolts something, bolts someone, and is costed correctly
- Rampaging Ferocidon So good it's banned in standard, shuts down other creature based decks. Can hurt you but likely you are winning if this is hurting.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar If you wanna flip your deck, why not gain all the life at the same time
- Runic Armasaur It's a dino, it's prison, it's got better stats than it's mana
- Overgrown Armasaur Reclamation sage-esque but on a dino
- Kindred Summons 7 mana, basically same as your creatures, and can double your creature count at EOT....
- Overwhelming Stampede Your average power is like 10 in this deck, +10/+10 and trample on everything ends games.
- Naya Charm First mode is meh, second mode can be good, third mode allows you to take out someone
- Charging Monstrosaur haste and trample and on curve
- Bellowing Aegisaur This thing gets huge fast, but doesn't have trample
- Iroas, God of Victory Not a dino, but is combat relevant, makes it easier for your dinos to get through and win
That gets you no where near where you need to be. To me you have too many enchantments might look there more.
10 months ago
@TheRedGoat Thanks for your suggestions and sorry for my bad englado.
The deck is built to draw a ton of cards and it pretty much always does. The only thing that can get in our way is, when we keep a starting hand without something for card draw, we don't draw anything similar and our creatures (which were to kill Grothama) will be removed. In this case a cheap early card draw spell like Life's Legacy or Hunter's Insight could be really useful. (When i built the deck, i was also considering those two but simply forgot to put them to the Maybeboard.
The Great Aurora - I've never seen this card before and I'm not quite sure if we need more lands on the battlefield, when we can already cast a 9 mana spell. The card draw is pretty sweet tho combined with Psychosis Crawler . (And you are right, the deck makes it easy to have a handsize of 20+ cards.)
Death's Presence - Could be pretty neat, but I'm not sure if I would cut antyhing for it.
I'd never suggest to play Grothama, All-Devouring just to have her on the board. Only play her, if you can make use of her ability in that turn or can protect her until your next turn.
Verdant Sun's Avatar - Personally I like the card, but I never felt needing it.
I can only recommend Grothama, All-Devouring if you like card draw and smashing face with big hitters. She definitely has a unique ability which you can't find on any other card in magic. Beside Barktooth Warbeard , Grothama is my favorite EDH deck.
Verdant Sun's Avatar occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%