|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Warrior Werewolf
: Look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal a creature card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Duskwatch Recruiter.
Duskwatch Recruiter Discussion
23 hours ago
OK, let us see…
Land creature ratio:
- Try 22 Lands instead of 20 (trust me on this).
- 25 – 26 creatures are just fine.
- 12 – 13 spells.
- Replace Cinder Glade or Rootbound Crag with Game Trail (Since you are on a budget).
- 1x Kessig Wolf Run .
- Add 1x Forest or another Cinder Glade , Rootbound Crag , Game Trail or Kazandu Refuge .
- Daybreak Ranger Flip good card, but usually better as sideboard, whenever you face tons of flyers or when in need for extra removal. I would replace the whole set with Duskwatch Recruiter Flip, faster, cheaper (in both mana and dollars) and helps a lot to keep your hand and board full of wolves. Another budget replacement, could be Gatstaf Shepherd Flip, same cmc, goes for like 20 cents the copy and has intimidate.
- Geier Reach Bandit Flip another pretty good card, but I would just main 2 copies, more than that is usually not great, and this opens space to great finishers like Kruin Outlaw Flip.
- You have a ton of “Lord Effects”, so Reckless Waif Flip might be a good addition, since she has better body than Village Messenger Flip. Maybe tun a mix of both? Also could replace some Bandits to make the deck more aggro.
- Now about Silverfur Partisan . Most people think that you need a bunch of instants to cast on it yourself to justify its inclusion. WRONG! Even though that is a way to make it work, and even thought there a couple of cool combos with Zada, Hedron Grinder , it is not its main role. While in play, the partisan gives you a wolf for EVERY TARGETED WOLF OR WEREWOLF, which means that for every removal spell they cast on your creatures, you get a free replacement, which is great against some heavy removal decks. Remember that Werewolves have 3 main weak points, fliers, removal and mass removal. A great side board card.
- Magma Jet is not good here. I get the scry thing and all, but damage is more important for wolves. The obvious is Lightning Bolt , but usually with the money of just one copy, you can get 4x Lightning Strike or Incinerate or even something like Arc Trail (not recommended).
- Rabid Bite this is a terrible, ugly, and horrible card. Never ever use it! Try Pounce instead.
Hope this helps! Be kind and have fun.
1 month ago
You need more ways to dig for the combo.
The New Finale of Devastation is 2GG to find one half of the combo. Also combos well with T2 Druid into T3 Vizier off of Finale. It's also a wincon, because you pump your team for a billion and grab a small creature with trample, any one will do (just pick one).
Chord of Calling Also works.
1 month ago
Duskwatch Recruiter Flip is great for this kind of deck - draw power that never whiffs. Primordial Sage is more precious draw. I know you have Birds of Paradise and Elvish Mystic and the like, but to synergize with Nikya, you should look into creatures that give you more actual lands on the battlefield: Wood Elves , Yavimaya Elder , Sakura-Tribe Elder , Dawntreader Elk , Farhaven Elf , Frontier Guide , etc.
Woodland Bellower is a great tutor that pairs with Fierce Empath to cover nearly everything in your deck.
Ulvenwald Tracker is great removal in a creature-based deck.
1 month ago
Akromathia you need 4 immerwolves, to keep them from flipping back. Id consider more copies of Moonmist because it flips everyone, and its a good combat trick.
- You want the human version to be not as weak so cards like
Flip are good to run 4 copies. Thats why
Flip is also good.
- Cheaper creatures is also amazing so I would run 4
Mayor of Avabruck
Flip gets out of control if you dont deal with him, as well as keep your humans alive before they transform.
Huntmaster of the Fells
Flip helps you keep the battle field so 4 of him is not bad also
Flip is an interesting card. I would run 1 or 2.
this card is run sometimes. I like it in the SB for when you have to deal with big creatures.
- IF you can afford it
Cavern of Souls
- your maybe board contains lots of spells. I love the want for burn but here is bad. You want to keep your cards flipped and you wont always have immerwolf sadly. Id pull out every spell that isn't bolt (simply its the best red removal). Keep Moonmist as well.
is a mainboard card and not great in this deck.
is a good card. Just think of the enchantments that hurt you. I don't forsee to many. Maybe only run 3. I say enchantments because there are better artifact hate cards.
- SB suggestions: Grafdigger's Cage is always good for grave hate for non-white decks. Pithing Needle can really help in some games. Blood Moon can win games, just be careful so you don't screw your self over. Choke if you really want to piss blue players off.
- Rhythm of the Wild might be a good replacement for your current enchantment.
2 months ago
Hey, you're welcome. Fauna was just reprinted in Ultimate Masters, she's now a $5 card :)
I think Wave is worth playing because it's a damn powerful card, but I would cut most instants and sorceries for more permanents to make Wave better. This does make Young Pyromancer worse therefore I would cut him. Cards like Dragon Fodder and Krenko's Command are fine, but they're one shot spells that only give you two tokens. You can replace these with other creatures or permanents that give you repeatable tokens even if those cards are more mana. Nest Invader and Mogg War Marshal are other examples of permanents that could replace Fodder and Command.
Cultivate and Ranger's Path are fine cards, but I think they can be cut for creatures who land ramp because then you get two things, a land and a creature to devour. For instance Farhaven Elf can replace Cultivate. Solemn Simulacrum at $5 might be too expensive price, but he's an example that could replace Ranger's Path or Explosive Vegetation . Skyshroud Claim is a much better card than both Path and Vegetation. Another example is Garruk, Primal Hunter could replace Rishkar's Expertise because Garruk's -3 can be a repeatable first part of Expertise. Garruk however might also be out of your price range.
Gilded Lotus , Gruul Signet , Mind Stone can be cut for one drop mana dorks. Altar of the Brood and Hardened Scales can be cut for more dorks. Scales only interacts with three cards in your deck: Thromok, Mycoloth and Avenger. These are however two of the best cards here, but Scales doesn't do anything else for any other creatures for that reason I would cut it.
High CMC creatures who make tokens when they ETB can also be good cards, but only if you have easy ways to recur them or blink/bounce them. Of course there are exceptions such as Avenger. Cards that can be repeatable sources of tokens even if they cost more mana to play are more desirable. Pia and Kiran Nalaar is kind of lackluster here because not playing artifact strategies and the card only gives you two tokens. As a one time four mana play it's not good. Temur Sabertooth is a way to bounce a creature and play it again, it's excellent with the many green creatures who have strong ETB abilities such as Fierce Empath , Reclamation Sage , Eternal Witness , Wood Elves , etc.
Duskwatch Recruiter Flip and Fauna Shaman should make creatures the priority because these cards only interact with creatures and the interaction is very good since they're engines to get creatures. Priest of Titania is one of the best mana dorks in Commander, if you have her add her especially if adding other mana Elves.
Another strategy to experiment with Thromok is making your lands creatures since then they can be devoured. Living Lands , Life and Limb , Nissa, Vital Force , Sylvan Awakening . When devouring your lands you also wants ways to reanimate them: World Shaper , Ramunap Excavator , Splendid Reclamation .
Shaper has synergy with devour since he has to die to reanimate your lands. Living Lands curves into Thromok giving you devour fodder. The nice thing about Living Lands is your Forests are still lands, they can tap for mana, but they're also creatures who can be devoured.
Land reanimation is good with landfall and landfall is a part of the strategy of repeatable token creation. If you're choosing to add one drop mana dorks then Forests become more important than Mountains thus a higher number of Forests than Mountains.
2 months ago
So I've been toying around with a Thromok deck and this is what I've put together with what I own.
Some things I'd like some help on:
- The Creature to Sorcery/Instant Ratio: So my ratio is about half and half and with that I feel like I can't lean totally into cards like Young Pyromancer or Duskwatch Recruiter Flip in the respective card type preferences. Should I just go one or the other? Or should I take out the more... "narrow" cards that focus on card type for more cards that make tokens regardless?
- Rhythm of the Wilds: This is a token deck. This doesn't work on tokens. Seems like it'd just be bad right? Well with all the creatures I run, plus haste on Thromok the Insatiable is neat, is it worth it? I guess this goes into some of the points I made in my first problem.
- How needed is artifact ramp in green?: I have an artifact deck otherwise, and I run most of my staple mana rocks in there. I could always proxy, but I personally don't like playing with cards I don't own unless I'm testing out a commander in an upcoming set (looking at you Feather!) This is aiming for 50%-75%, so would rocks be more necessary? I run some, but I'm wondering if cutting some more land ramp with more artifact ramp could make the deck more explosive and overall stronger.
These are the main problems I've run into, but any other suggestions such as lowering the average cmc and such is also welcome.
2 months ago
Thanks! i just checked out your Selvala, Heart of the Wilds deck and I'm gonna have to pick up a Mobilize !! i didn't even think of that card lol i also need to find a spot for Duskwatch Recruiter Flip
2 months ago
Duskwatch Recruiter occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.07%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%