|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Mountain Valley enters the battlefield tapped.
, Sacrifice Mountain Valley: Search your library for a Mountain or Forest card and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Mountain Valley Discussion
1 month ago
About that - main problem here is that you want to have too much high CMC cards that make 'cool things' but it's better to settle for less and actually get there. Playing Dragon tribe already fills your high end of the curve so we need to focus on lower CMC interaction/ramp/draw to get to cast as many of the mentioned creatures as possible.
That's why Crucible of Fire and Sight of the Scalelords are bad but you seem to discover another way to win besides fight with big beaters - it's reanimator strategy. So I'd rather get 4/4 or 5/5 Dragon with Animate Dead for AND do something else than cast one of those enchantments and pass, hoping that it survives on board. I personally use reanimation with Dragon Tempest as a secondary strategy to kill as many people as possible with damage from dragons coming back and then smash the rest with them, since they get haste.
Abrupt Decay has that advantage of hitting NONLAND permaments... so creatures, enchantments, artifacts, planeswalkers all go down. While Vraska's Contempt is overpriced Path to Exile in black since planeswalkers can be overrun with Dragons and 2 life gain is negligible. It's not about hitting someone's Craterhoof Behemoth or in your case Hellkite Overlord it's about dealing with Sylvan Library / Phyrexian Arena , Chromatic Lantern or Yisan, the Wanderer Bard that get them there. And that's the lesson that I learned few months back and made drastic changes to my deck - Bow before Draconic King!!! | *WAR* Update. It's still a Dragon deck but has everything that early game requires so I can still compete with better tuned decks of others.
That's why for changes I'd propose:
- Kilnmouth Dragon -> Night's Whisper - instead of giving someone information what you have for 7 mana you get 2 cards for 2 that noone sees besides you
- Skarrgan Hellkite -> Selvala, Heart of the Wilds or Lotus Cobra - 5 mana for 4/4 flyer that can be 5/5 with overpriced activated ability is bad... you'll be better off with one of these dorks for 2-3 CMC.
- Crucible of Fire -> Nature's Claim - lowers the avg. CMC, let's you be more reactive and holding on for interaction on opponents turn is easy to do.
- Spit Flame -> Sarkhan's Triumph - overpriced damage restricted to creatures might be good in Standard but not EDH. Try out tutor instead and thank me later :D
- The Immortal Sun -> Gruul Signet / Rakdos Signet - I know it's an epic card and all but... it's cost is huge, you might actually cast 6 CMC Dragon instead of this and to actually get there you can run early ramp so 1-2 turns earlier flying behemoth will be way more dangerous.
- Hellkite Overlord / Darigaaz Reincarnated -> Worldly Tutor - with tutor in deck you need actually 1 of these two if you still want to have a huge Dragon. Also this is great way to get utility dragons like Glorybringer or Dragonlord Kolaghan when you need them most.
- Temple of the False God -> Rocky Tar Pit / Mountain Valley / Evolving Wilds - this land is bad... if you have 1 land and this, then you still only have 1 land since it won't activate early. Ancient Tomb is great because it can work turn 1 for some rocks but this... requires board full of lands and one Armageddon makes it useless again.
If you want to know more about getting better at EDH I'd recommend checking out CMDR Central and EDHRec podcasts on youtube - https://articles.edhrec.com/commander-central-ep75-settling-for-less/. Also EDHRec page has great articles posted daily, one of them is about Evolving Wilds: https://articles.edhrec.com/in-the-margins-evolving-wilds-terramorphic-expanse/
2 months ago
In this style of deck I like playing Life from the Loam as it synergies really well with what the deck wants to do. Also, fetchlands work really well with Crucible of Worlds but if you do not have the budget for them, Rocky Tar Pit and Mountain Valley are good budget alternatives. Additionally, with you running Scapeshift you could run Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle as a combo finish with enough mountains. Also, if you find yourself low on cards, I really like the card Painful Truths as a solid draw engine in the early game outside of Lord Windgrace. I also like additional ramp that can be provided in cards like Farseek and Sakura-Tribe Elder . Hope this helps!
2 months ago
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 4 | 115 VIEWS | IN 3 FOLDERS
Here is my omnath deck. The more expensive cards aren’t fully necessary in it but help it. Burgeoning is incredibly good though and so is Scapeshift , they are worth the price. I think you have too many creatures in your deck and not enough land and ramp. The idea here is to just spew out land...all the land. Lands that get other lands are great so you can get multiple landfalls per turn. The panoramas, Myriad Landscape , Rocky Tar Pit , Grasslands , Mountain Valley these are all necessary and super cheap. Ghost Town is an absolute must, it guarantees land drop every turn. You also don’t need those life gain lands, they’re too slow. Ramunap Excavator is great for playing your lands that fetch other lands, this allows you multiple land falls per turn. More ramp means more landfall also. You need all the ramp you can, so that you can get omnath out as early and often as possible. Plus once he’s out the ramp triggers more tokens.
3 months ago
If the above cycle is still expensive, you can use Irrigated Farmland , Fetid Pools , Canyon Slough , Sheltered Thicket , Scattered Groves . Also: the cheap cycle Flood Plain , Bad River , Rocky Tar Pit , Mountain Valley and Grasslands pairs well with the cycles mentioned before.
3 months ago
3 months ago
Deadpoo111, I agree. And I dont have the money to be spending 50 a pop on fetch lands either bro. Which is why i run only the slow fetch's i have in the colors besides Mountain Valley like the one you listed, but thats in my Omnath, Locus of Rage deck.The theft effects i have in here are because when Marchesa,the Black Rose's Dethrone ability triggers if you attack the player with the highest life total, she puts a +1/+1 counter on the stolen creature which allows me if it dies to "return it to the battlefield under my control" Allowing myself to gain control of the creature permanently, rather than just until end of turn. Hopefully that explains the sac outlets. I want my creatures, my opponents creatures, all of the creatures to die to get extra etb and exit the battlefield abilities to trigger often. On my side of the board.
3 months ago
Here's what I've found, and while this is taboo to talk about especially with all the modern players these day, you don't need fetches unless you are in a ridiculously competitive meta. There price just isn't justified for a slower format like commander. I would definitely recommend the slow fetches, which you're already running one of, Grasslands , Rocky Tar Pit , Bad River , Flood Plain , and Mountain Valley . I have great experiences with these and while they may be a turn slower, I've found that turn doesn't really matter. It surely helps my wallet. Other than that, this looks like a pretty standard Marchesa deck, except for the theft. Any reason you're running that? I'd love to know.
3 months ago
Good starting point for what I think is a precon upgrade! I run myself a lands deck (Thrasios and Bruse, missing out all that sweet Jund goodstuff, sigh) and I can only advise to upgrade your land department.
You could try to run how many self-sacrificing lands as possible, given you have you Commander, Crucible of Worlds and Ramunap Excavator :
- Mirage fetches (like Mountain Valley ) go well with shocklands and typed duals and give you two landfall triggers from a single land
- Ghost Quarter and Cabal Pit double up as recurrable answers
Finally, being Jund naturally more inclined towards sacrificing shenaningans, I cannot leave out Perilous Forays .
By the way, keep up the good work!
Mountain Valley occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%