Creature — Elf
When Fierce Empath enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 6 or more, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
|Want (3)||notorius-B.D.A.W.G , yutyutty , Extzy|
Printings View all
|Double Masters (2XM)||Common|
|Core Set 2021 (M21)||Uncommon|
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||None|
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Inventors (DDU)||None|
|Masters 25 (A25)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Fierce Empath Discussion
1 week ago
Hey, good start on a budget, several nice upgrades you've made.
Let me introduce you to Quartzwood Crasher and Garruk's Uprising; two powerful budget cards with Ghired that have excellent interaction. Crasher is good with Ghired because it can create huge Dino tokens to populate and these tokens along with Rhinos have trample. You don't even have to attack with Crasher to make a Dino token; any creatures who have trample who do combat damage to a player counts.
Uprising can do a lot for a three drop, but best of all it's a repeatable draw source whenever you create a Rhino. Any creature or token that's 4 or more power will trigger Uprising to draw. It also gives all creatures you control trample which has busted interaction with Crasher since then any creature you control who does combat damage to a player you create a Dino token.
The main area of improvement in the precon is ramp and lands. You've included several good land upgrades, but only 32 lands is not enough land especially because you want five mana to cast Ghired. My advice is go with 36 lands and include at least 12 ramp sources, more early game ramp sources. Cinder Glade is here twice.
Other budget ramp and lands to consider adding:
- Avacyn's Pilgrim
- Wild Growth
- Faeburrow Elder: can tap for two colors of mana, but if you control a red permanent then it can tap for three colors of mana.
- Nature's Lore: like Farseek it can get a dual land.
- Gruul Signet
- Selesnya Signet
- Boros Signet
- Canopy Vista: so Farseek or Lore can get a dual land white source.
- Rogue's Passage: making Ghired unblockable means he gets to populate and can't be blocked and killed in combat.
- Naya Panorama
- Ash Barrens
I see Eladamri's Call which is an excellent upgrade and this tells me that tutors are fine to play. Other budget tutors to consider adding:
- Fierce Empath: there's many 6 CMC or higher creatures here.
- Mwonvuli Beast Tracker: can get Quartzwood Crasher and there's other creatures here with trample.
- Idyllic Tutor: can get Garruk's Uprising or another enchantment.
- Crop Rotation: can get Rogue's Passage or Gavony Township or any other land.
Open the Armory can be a helpful tutor if you add some equipment and aura that can be repeatable protection for Ghired. Lightning Greaves and/or Swiftfoot Boots can give Ghired haste and protect him from opponent's targeted removal. Shield of the Oversoul can protect Ghired with indestructible and give him flying making it safer to attack with him.
I offer more advice about what cards to cut. Would you like more advice?
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Hey, you've done well overall with card selection on a current $300 budget. The good parts of your deck are the robust Dragon base and the nice selection of Planeswalkers. What can be improved is the manabase, more ramp/color fixing for five colors and more repeatable draw/tutors.
The manabase is slow with the Thriving lands and the Vivid lands which all ETB tapped. My advice is keep five Thriving lands, cut the Vivid lands and one Thriving land? Replace them with lands that have interaction with basic lands because there's 21 basic lands here. The five budget Battle lands can help the manabase since they have interaction with lots of basic lands to ETB untapped and Farseek can search for one of them.
Cascading Cataracts is a helpful land to cast Ur-Dragon and Crop Rotation can tutor for it. Rotation can be sac a basic land to tutor for any land and put it onto the battlefield. The five Triomes especially Forest ones would be upgrades for Thriving lands: Indatha Triome ($5), Ketria Triome ($6) and Zagoth Triome ($7). The prices of Triomes are displayed wrong here, they're all much less price. Land ramp that can interact with Triomes can really help with color fixing. Skyshroud Claim, Nature's Lore, Wood Elves can search for a Forest Triome and Farseek can search for any Triome.
8 additional mana sources that are 3 CMC or lower is a low amount for a 4.7 avg CMC deck with only 36 lands. Consider a few more sources of ramp/color fixing? The most important cards to want to cast in the early game is ramp or a repeatable draw source.
- Faeburrow Elder: can tap for two mana (green and white). If you control other colored permanents it can tap for more mana up to five mana, one of each color.
- Arcane Signet ($4) and Fellwar Stone
Some more budget tutors could replace some of the lesser Dragons. More low CMC tutors can get the better Dragons/other cards while also lowering the mana curve.
Low CMC repeatable draw sources when Dragons ETB are very good especially ones that trigger when a Dragon token is created. Ascendancy and Kiora are here, but consider more? The more of these enchantments you have the better chance you have of getting one onto the battlefield before you start casting Dragons.
Dragonlord Ojutai is a four drop Dragon thanks to the Ur-Dragon. It can potentially be repeatable Anticipate card advantage. The selection of what card you put into your hand is what makes it good on a budget.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Looks good. You might like these: Vryn Wingmare, Pithing Needle, Phyrexian Revoker, Palace Jailer, Peacekeeper, Angelic Arbiter, Nevermore, Sanctum Prelate (pick 2 to prevent Cyclonic Rift or 3 to prevent Toxic Deluge), Revelation, Bane of Progress, Fierce Empath, Woodland Bellower, Captain Sisay, Recruiter of the Guard, Ranger-Captain of Eos, Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 month ago
Thanks again! Awesome that you take the time out of your day to really give such an insightful comment.
I have been working on the deck after I posted it and even upgraded it a bit between your comment and me posting the deck, two of them are even cards you recommended! Bonders' Enclave and Gruul Signet. I also added Rogue's Passage to maybe sneak an attacker in.
I did actually buy quite a few cards a few days ago that just arrived and some of them are also cards you mentioned :D
I also added these ones, maybe you have some comments about them?
- God-Eternal Rhonas, it looks like it can combo quite well with Xenagos. Have you tried the cards?
- Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, I always find myself missing Trample so I thought this guy could help tutoring for it.
- Skarrg, the Rage Pits a worse Kessig Wolf Run but also a lot cheaper, and I am mainly after the trample effect (I think).
- Scavenging Ooze wanted a way to deal with peoples graveyard shenanigans.
- Mind Stone ramp! (basically added it because you mentioned it in Norin :P )
- Solemn Simulacrum there are other ramp cards in green but I just think he is a lot of value.
- I also swapped the Sedge Scorpion for a Deadly Recluse because even though I find it nice to have a early thing on the board that can deter people from attacking me before I have some of my guys out I found that a lot of attacks just went over it.
The things I will be cutting is the Scorpion and
- Mistcutter Hydra (I have other sources of can't be countered and it not doing anything else than that feels a bit week),
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir (too slow. Even though I love the prospect of being able to double the equipped creature and then have it applied to every other creather, it simply doesn't happen often enough and it doesn't provide value as soon as it lands because it would cost + mana for it to do so),
- Solidarity of Heroes (I have used it as a combat trick but it is too situational especially as I plan to cut some of the counter/hydra creatures),
- Twinflame (often when I am thinking of casting this I realize I would rather cast one of my creatures or wish it was a creature),
- Brash Taunter (thought it would be fun, but it is as I expected - way to slow), Flame-Wreathed Phoenix (I wanted a flying creature but and really only put this in for sentimental reasons but it just isn't doing anything, it is very unsatisfying to double it especially if it already have haste),
- Peregrination (don't think it's worth the cost, added other/earlier ways to ramp),
- Nissa's Pilgrimage (same reason as the other)
Let me know what you think about the cuts and if I could have made better ones!
Now for your recommendations!
- Lurking Predators Sounds like a great idea, would love to hear what you think should be cut from the deck too.
- The Great Henge Yeah I want a few of these, to go into some decks. Have on my "buy it on a bargain" list. Hopefully I can pick it up soon.
- Decimate and Hull Breach Looks like great cards, I have noticed that I really need to put some enchantment/artifact removal in and these two looks like great picks for it.
- Life's Legacy Very nice card! Will probably pick it up, but when do one have to much draw?
- Nature's Lore I was going to add one of these a while back as I thought i had one laying around but I couldn't find it and forgot to acquire one. Will put it on my list :)
- Rishkar's Expertise Added this one!
- Skyshroud Claim I like this card too, but I always find 4 mana ramp to be a little late. You think it's still pulling it's weight?
Beast Within Great card, will be adding this at one point
Berserk Never been a fan of killing my own creatures, but I guess the added benefit of being able to use it on an enemy is nice. I could also Berserk it and then sac it myself with any of the card draw cards. Will be looking out for one if I can find a really cheap one.
Momentous Fall Nice one! Will pick this one up for sure
Return of the Wildspeaker Will add this one too, bought a few of them already a week back but they are taking their sweet time arriving.
Lands I have already added the Bonder's Enclave and will be adding a Myriad Landscape as I have an extra one. I will also look to acquire the other ones. I am thinking of also adding Reliquary Tower as it's likely I will get more than 7 cards in hand after a sacrifice, Mishra's Factory as it's one of the only good manlands I have (doubt Kher Keep will do much here) I am also thinking of adding a Tectonic Edge to deal with other people's lands.
Most of the dragons you mention was about to go into the deck, but then I bought a Secret Lair and built a dragon deck instead. Will be looking into getting most of the dragons you mention here.
There's so many here, hard to pick and choose which to add! I will start with the ones I know I want in Eternal Witness because there is always something that's worth casting twice, Kogla, the Titan Ape can remove a lot of stuff in one go as I can give it haste too, Ilharg, the Raze-Boar been looking to add this guy since day one! But they have always been so over priced in my local market about 7-8$! I managed to find one yesterday for $5! So hopefully it will find it's way to me tomorrow :) Reclamation Sage need more removal so this on should be a given, Sakura-Tribe Elder need a bit more ramp so I can get it out more reliable so this one a good one. Was going to add a Fierce Empath when I opened 2020, must have forgotten!
I am also looking to add Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma and Lifeblood Hydra but they are hard to find in my local market. The other ones I will add to my list and pick them up if I can get them cheap, to at least switch out for some others and see what fits my play style the best!
Would love a Deflecting Swat (in Norin too), but my local market have it quite high, and I think I can find more impactful cards for cheaper. Oh I will definitely upgrade for a Vines of Vastwood and look for a Blossoming Defense, right now my biggest defense against spot removal is Archetype of Endurance but it's so expensive to cast!
There are a lot of cards here that you have mentioned that I have both already added and want to add now that you have brought them to my attention, so I will have to do a lot of cuts and would love to here your thoughts on what should be removed (and if the cuts I already did where good ones) would also love why you think I should remove some cards over others.
Thanks a lot for yet another deep look at my deck! Really appreciate it :)
1 month ago
Increasing the land count to 36 lets you hit your 4th land drop ~6.4% more frequently.
Some great additions that I use are Tatyova, Benthic Druid, Ob Nixilis, the Fallen, Muldrotha, the Gravetide, and Avenger of Zendikar. Pair them with a fetch land or two and the card advantage is insane.
1 month ago
This seems like a budget build, so I'll keep it in mind. I've been tuning my list for almost a year, and I love this guy.
This deck abuses mana all day. The land count needs to increase to the 35-36 range for consistency. Remember, mana flood > mana screw. Good lands to add on a budget are Bojuka Bog, Exotic Orchard, and Myriad Landscape.
Panharmonicon is perhaps the best artifact for this deck. It is the only spell I recommend breaking the budget for.
This deck doesn't function well without the commander. Come up with ways to protect him via counter spells or protection artifacts like Lightning Greaves.
1 month ago
This looks like a budget build, so I'll throw some cards at you that will help improve your game plan without totally breaking the bank.
- Myriad Landscape is a great budget fetch that nabs 2 basics.
- Exotic Orchard is a great rainbow land < $1. It's certainly not Command Tower, but it gets the job done.
- Avoid the bounce lands in your maybeboard. Don't run them ever in this build.
- Sire of Stagnation is straight gas and draws 8 cards off 1 opposing fetch.
- Woodland Bellower lets you go off and nab up to 6 extra cards. Combo with Fierce Empath and Wood Elves to get yourself ahead of your opponent super quick.
- Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are great budget options for land acceleration. They are both strictly better than Grow from the Ashes and have cheaper CMC than Circuitous Route.