|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari||Common|
Combos Browse all
Izzet Boilerworks enters the battlefield tapped.
When Izzet Boilerworks enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Izzet Boilerworks Discussion
2 weeks ago
Couple potential suggestionsLands:
- Forgotten Cave and Lonely Sandbar instead of two basic lands as card draw is great.
- Izzet Boilerworks, Temple of the False God, Evolving Wilds, Caldera Lake, Highland Lake, Izzet Guildgate and Swiftwater Cliffs are some of the best budget lands for mana fixing and a little late game ramp.
- Diviner's Wand could be cool as most of your creatures and Nin, the Pain Artist are Wizards.
- Arjun, the Shifting Flame looks awesome.
- Reforge the Soul might also be cool.
- Thought Reflection is bonkers later.
- Trinket Mage to look for Spellbook.
- Magus of the Wheel? idk.
- Alhammarret's Archive is expensive but seems good.
Alternatively scrap the whole lot and play Zedruu, the Greathearted instead.
2 months ago
2 months ago
I think your mana base is a little messy.
- There's no need for the Panoramas (Bant Panorama and Naya Panorama), you could just go with Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds.
- Checklands (Rootbound Crag, Hinterland Harbor and Sulfur Falls) and Bouncelands (Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks and Gruul Turf) benefit most from decks having more basics, so I'd tell you to replace some utility lands with basics (drop Alchemist's Refuge, Desolate Lighthouse and maybe even Kessig Wolf Run)
- Manlands (Lumbering Falls, Raging Ravine and Wandering Fumarole) aren't all that useful in EDH. Considering the amount of lands in your deck, I think you might want to cut them as well.
- Considering the amount of card-draw in the deck, you might want to consider Reliquary Tower
As for ramp in itself:
- Gilded Lotus is amazing, but it only nets you one color of mana, which can be a bummer at times.
- I always advocate for the use of all available signets (Simic Signet, Izzet Signet and Gruul Signet in your case), since they fix your colors in the early game and help you ramp up a bit (plus, a Sol Ring + Signet starting hand can go crazy pretty fast)
- Thought Vessel and Mind Stone are other 2-mana artifacts with some great extra utility.
Cards I don't like/I don't find useful enough:
- Crystal Shard - Reusable bounce is good, but I don't think this card is good enough to be here.
- Ranger's Path could be replaced with Nissa's Expedition (if you tap a creature it's exacly like a Explosive Vegetation) or Nissa's Renewal (costs more, but gets you 3 lands and 7 life). Or simply drop it. You run too few basics and with all the sorcery ramping you might run out of lands to search for...
- Recurring Insight - In the late game where you can give in to the luxury of spending 6 mana to draw some cards it can be great, but I'd rather use it in a See the Unwritten or Seasons Past or Selvala's Stampede or Saheeli's Artistry.
- Zendikar Incarnate - poor defenses and no trample. You can do better. Mystic Snake or Ogre Battledriver or Master Biomancer or Faerie Artisans (you can clone the token with Riku in order to keep it)
- Charmbreaker Devils can be good, but they might do nothing as well
- Deadwood Treefolk doesn't seem that appealing to me either; specially considering it only gets back creature cards. Greenwarden of Murasa is almost strictly better (bigger body and returns any card, but no "leaves the battlefield" trigger)
- Rampaging Baloths seems out of place. Yes, it creates some good tokens for playing lands, but generating 1 trample-less 4/4 per turn seems pretty bad. This creature is better suited for landfall-based decks in my opinion.
- Sphinx of Uthuun and Fact or Fiction are cards I just can't enjoy. I think the impact they make is negligible in the game, but I understand the appeal and sometimes it can be quite interesting. I'd say keep the creature and ditch the spell.
Other suggestions (mostly more creatures to use as a toolbox):
- Farhaven Elf another ramp on a stick.
- Reclamation Sage is a staple in the format for a reason
- Peregrine Drake generates infinte mana in conjunction with Deadeye Navigator and gives you some quick ways of ending the game (such as paying buyback of Capsize to Upheaval everyone but yourself constantly)
- Triumph of the Hordes - another win con
- Ghostly Flicker gives you a way to reuse ETB triggers or save something from removal. Also has a combo with Peregrine Drake + Archeomancer.
- Coiling Oracle forces you to reveal the top card, but the fact that it ramps if it's a land makes it so much better
- Phyrexian Ingester - removal on a stick. You could also go with Duplicant
- Drowner of Hope - never underestimate this little guy, since it's quite versatile. The "sac a scion: tap a creature" has saved me quite a few times and it can also work as some sort of ramp tool (It costs , but it refunds with the tokens).
- Nim Deathmantle brings a creature back for one more round.
2 months ago
Hi Again xXImpetuSXx,
Ho, indeed, my bad. :(Sorry, I didn't memorize the Ban and Restricted List. :(
Thanks for pointing that out, you saved me some money mate !
Hi Again ghoul_Legion
Yeh, Aurelia, the Warleader RRWW and Akroma, Angel of Fury RRR aretricky to play. I often face the situation where I'm missing White or Red Manas. That's why I put mostly two-colors-lands and Bounces-lands ( Izzet Boilerworks etc etc )
Even Entreat the Angels without Miracle is just unplayable.
Yeah, I messed up the lands ratio as well, sorry. I'll fix that in a few days.
I don't want to annoy you with tons of questions heh. Your advices are extremely precious, for I'm not an hardcore MTG Player and your advices are extremely pertinent / relevent !!
Thanks again for your time !!
3 months ago
4 months ago
Also, are you sure you wan to run the Azorius Chancery, Izzet Boilerworks, and Boros Garrison, they are such cheap duel lands because they slow you down. For example if you have an island and one of these lands in your starting hand you play the island turn one. Play one of these turn 2 and have no mana for turn 2; then, you have a total of 3 mana turn 3. Which is the same as normal, but with only two lands instead of 3. The advantage they give is you need less land cards to be successful, but they slow you down between turns.
4 months ago
Lightning Runner isn't even really constructed-playable in Standard, much less Modern.
More generally, this deck is closer to Standard than it is to Modern. The Energy cards obviously have to come from Kaladesh, but the overall card quality isn't high enough to stand up to a typical Modern deck. Also, you need to consolidate your cards, aiming for 3- and 4-ofs rather than almost exclusively 1- and 2-ofs.
I would recommend starting out by taking some cards from Affinity (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-affinity-8972#paper), many of which aren't actually very expensive. Memnite, Signal Pest, and Vault Skirge are great inclusions (Signal Pest in particular) without breaking the bank. Thoughtcast is similarly helpful, Cranial Plating does everything you want, and Darksteel Citadel is a great way to get artifacts out quickly with a low opportunity cost.
All of the following creatures are way too slow for Modern, so you should cut them: Embraal Gear-Smasher (your opponent will just Bolt it), Lightning Runner (too fragile for its cost), Separatist Voidmage (plus doesn't have any synergy with your deck), and Watchful Automaton (you'll have enough card draw with Thoughtcast and Thopter Spy Network that Scrying isn't necessary).
Also cut Consulate Turret, Jayemdae Tome, Mobile Garrison (you don't have any big creatures so untapping one to keep as a blocker isn't helpful), and Renegade Map (you're a two-color deck so you don't need fixing. Even Swiftwater Cliffs, Izzet Boilerworks, and/or Shivan Reef should be sufficient mana-fixing for a budget deck without having to spend spells on it.
For your Instants, I'm not convinced Metallic Rebuke is better than good 'ol Mana Leak. You can potentially cast it for just 1 mana, but that requires you to leave artifacts untapped and this deck's artifacts are mostly artifact creatures.
5 months ago