|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari (DDJ)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Izzet Boilerworks enters the battlefield tapped.
When Izzet Boilerworks enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
: Gain .
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (21)||Jauntu , plof , frederiklw , Grantley91 , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , agardels , bakeraj4 , Mousemke , richardmv , fireborne1986 , LTmiller , bakunet , NobleSlay3r , angesoir , burnedbread , DaZlInG , bpiser95 , Fwaffle , philktoken8998 , rockleemyhero ,|
|Want (51)||Niroh , LurchenGamer , sleepy104 , kobyjoe , Turtlelover73 , SmallSailor , foxboy93 , yanfox , GS10 , 2gherkins , rco , mini_tb , Cetriel , CoastWizard , ryaniskool , Viper_3000 , mastermojo7 , Amarel , LordTechnusMaster , jmunda , Ssserra , Moonling , bpm4 , coadster , Equino , scottyboy76567 , zaiorn , Mahtimatonen , GoodestBoi , Rathe , DeifiedExile , mango_channel , ostiarius , kvfd1719 , FrogIsCool , KingCold999 , CK500 , Elode , Poggy , jgigantic , LiKWiDCAKE , VaultTechy , Jspeed , PopeJonIII , Theokrit , Shaddaran , Kcin , B1ad3 , Limette23 , Lythia , zephyrmoth|
Izzet Boilerworks Discussion
6 days ago
So I notice your group's ban list is focused on the "feel bad" cards like game warping fatties and land destruction. This means your land is relatively safe and a deck focused on drawing cards can easily function on 34 or 35. I would build it with 33 but I see you want to get to a few select top end cards. I would cut these lands in order: Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep, Rakdos Carnarium, Izzet Boilerworks, Crosis's Catacombs, and Dimir Aqueduct.
High cost cards can be fun but it's important to balance their impact with the fact that drawing too many of them can stunt your game play. Cruel Ultimatum immediately jumps out at me as a fun card but ultimately lacking in the impact. Targeting a single player and being super heavy both in cmc and color requirements makes the risk to reward ratio not in your favor.
Jaya and Nicol Bolas both fall in a similar camp of cost outweighing their impact. Of the two a greater argument can be made for Jaya pumping out spells and drawing cards but that triple red is rough. Keep in mind the big goal here is to force draw absurd amounts of cards, each high cost and color intense spell you hit is a speed bump in that card drawing engine.
Dominus of Fealty and Thraximundar are a pretty high cost to invest into things that are off strategy. Nezahal, Primal Tide is in a similar boat but if your play group creates a need for a 7/7 uncounterable then it’s a fine inclusion. Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker is strategy adjacent but the slot can probably be put to better use. I also don’t like Guiltfeeder but I recognize that is likely do to my meta shaping my opinion of it.
Cards I would look at adding
Anvil of Bogardan I am surprised isn't already in here.
Memory Jar is another great wheel.
Psychosis Crawler is too on strategy not to include.
Sunder is great in decks like this but your group would probably ban it in a heartbeat based on your current ban list.
You’re already fairly deep in artifacts so a mana rock ramp package would massively increase speed and consistency. Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, (maybe) Mana Vault, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Thought Vessel, Chrome Mox, and Mox Diamond.
Vandalblast if your playgroup uses a healthy amount of artifact ramp.
1 month ago
I've invested in Commander staples so I have the fetchlands, revised duals and shocklands, if you have them what should be swapped out?
- Temple of Epiphany --> Volcanic Island
- Sulfur Falls --> Steam Vents
- Shivan Reef --> Scalding Tarn
- Mountain --> Arid Mesa
- Island --> Bloodstained Mire
- Mountain --> Flooded Strand
- Island --> Misty Rainforest
- Mountain --> Polluted Delta
- Island --> Wooded Foothills
- Mountain --> Izzet Boilerworks
- Island --> Vesuva
- Mountain --> Reflecting Pool
Or do you think that's too many fetchlands, too few basics?
1 month ago
Well, I mean Bolas is one of the most power-hungry and powerful planeswalkers in the game, if that doesn't say cEDH I don't know what does, also RNG doesn't exist in Gemstone Caverns, IE no rolling dice or flipping coins, but if you just mean randomness, I could say the same thing for every card that you only want openning hand and is a bad draw later on, like Sol Ring, or the two leylines, or Mana Crypt.
The essence of Bolas is 'Everything to Win', so the cards like Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Tarnished Citadel, Ad Nauseam, Imperial Seal, Mana Confluence, Shivan Reef, Underground River, Ancient Tomb, and City of Brass are more flavorful than cards like Izzet Boilerworks, and also are just good cards.
Jank is generally the opposite of competitive, so why every turn 4 win is supposedly jank, and Laboratory Maniac is supposedly jank too is beyond me.
Also, discard is a mechanic of stax, a key mechanic of that too, if you have ever seen a cEDH mono-black stax deck not running discard, be my guest. It is too powerful an effect not to use if your goal is to stop your opponents from casting spells.
Also, have you seen Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker? He ends games fast, not slow. I turn one any land and Lotus Petal to Flash+Arena Rector him out and it is over, no buts about it, that one player who might have an answer? +3 and their only land is gone, next turn do the same, next turn ultimate him, rinse repeat on the other two players who are still in the game, protecting him from Chain of Vapors and Into the Roils with the Counterspells in my hand, until they are all out of lands, cards, and permanents, and eventually life too, GG.
Also, the original Nicol Bolas, yeah I run him in modern, who else am I gonna turn one out with two Simian Spirit Guides, a Faithless Looting and Goryo's Vengeance, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn? Nah, he blows up their permanents, what permanents are they going to have turn one? Not much, discarding their hand is much better, but obviously I run both.
Point is, I don't think the essence of Nicol Bolas is to be a slow, grindy controlling deck, it is a deck that wins every time, for now and forever, sure, I'd probably argue grixis twin should be the deck for Nicol Bolas, but he'd only be used for the commander, and wouldn't serve a purpose in the deck other than for colors.
You also asked me for advice, so take it or not, but I got the deck to be more competitive and down to 100 cards, like you wanted.
1 month ago
-1x Island, +1x Izzet Boilerworks
-1x Plains, +1x Azorius Chancery
-1x Mountain, +1x Boros Garrison
-1x Mountain, +1x Terramorphic Expanse
-1x Plains, +1x Myriad Landscape
2 months ago
SynergyBuild: I'm guessing they use some sort of points based achievement scorecard system in the games they play. Just because you win doesn't mean you automatically come first. never been a fan personally, but some LGSs attempt to use it to regulate the decks/gameplay.
jacobmcguffin: Even though you have a limitation imposed on you play wise, you're still better off making the deck faster and playing slower. The problem with cards like Izzet Boilerworks is that if you're aiming for turn 5, they can potentially screw you over and push it back a turn (fo example you need to draw a land to play your combo).
The other problem I have with Pili-Pala + Grand Architect is that it just gives you infinite mana. Other than Fireball, you don't have infinite mana sinks. Whereas adding Dualcaster Mage + Ghostly Flicker actually frees up a card slot in the deck list. It's a 2 card infinite haste creatures and infinite mana as well.
2 months ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
2 months ago
This is my first commander deck I got a few months back and have built it up slowly but am in dire need of help finishing it. I know it is slow and probably bad but I like it and it suits me just fine. I like how it can focus on the graveyard but the only strategies I have for it is the Duskmantle Guildmage and Mindcrank set and the Sphinx's Tutelage. I want to focus it on wizards mill where my wizards can help me use my graveyard getting back my instants and sorceries that help mill and draw using Sphinx's Tutelge. Other creatures can be added like Consecrated Sphinx but i'd like for creatures to be mostly wizard. Any help is appreciated.
Commander: Inalla, Archmage Ritualist
3 months ago
What would possess you to run Izzet Boilerworks in a competitive deck?
Ulamog serves no purpose here except to lose you 11 life off of Dark Confidant.
You're also running Pili-Pala + Grand Architect but not any of the good infinite combos with her. Wanderwine Prophets or Dualcaster Mage + Ghostly Flicker are what you're after - these provide you with game ending effects rather than just infinite mana.