|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari (DDJ)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Izzet Boilerworks enters the battlefield tapped.
When Izzet Boilerworks enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||Jauntu , plof , frederiklw , Grantley91 , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , agardels , bakeraj4 , Mousemke , richardmv , fireborne1986 , LTmiller , bakunet , NobleSlay3r , angesoir , burnedbread , DaZlInG , , rockleemyhero|
|Want (30)||Niroh , LurchenGamer , sleepy104 , kobyjoe , Turtlelover73 , SmallSailor , foxboy93 , yanfox , GS10 , 2gherkins , rco , mini_tb , Cetriel , Viper_3000 , CoastWizard , ryaniskool , Amarel , Ssserra , bpm4 , coadster , scottyboy76567 , Mahtimatonen , GoodestBoi , Rathe , DeifiedExile , mango_channel , kvfd1719 , KingCold999 , CK500 , Elode|
Izzet Boilerworks Discussion
2 days ago
SynergyBuild: I'm guessing they use some sort of points based achievement scorecard system in the games they play. Just because you win doesn't mean you automatically come first. never been a fan personally, but some LGSs attempt to use it to regulate the decks/gameplay.
jacobmcguffin: Even though you have a limitation imposed on you play wise, you're still better off making the deck faster and playing slower. The problem with cards like Izzet Boilerworks is that if you're aiming for turn 5, they can potentially screw you over and push it back a turn (fo example you need to draw a land to play your combo).
The other problem I have with Pili-Pala + Grand Architect is that it just gives you infinite mana. Other than Fireball, you don't have infinite mana sinks. Whereas adding Dualcaster Mage + Ghostly Flicker actually frees up a card slot in the deck list. It's a 2 card infinite haste creatures and infinite mana as well.
6 days ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
6 days ago
This is my first commander deck I got a few months back and have built it up slowly but am in dire need of help finishing it. I know it is slow and probably bad but I like it and it suits me just fine. I like how it can focus on the graveyard but the only strategies I have for it is the Duskmantle Guildmage and Mindcrank set and the Sphinx's Tutelage. Any help is appreciated.
Commander: Inalla, Archmage Ritualist
1 month ago
What would possess you to run Izzet Boilerworks in a competitive deck?
Ulamog serves no purpose here except to lose you 11 life off of Dark Confidant.
You're also running Pili-Pala + Grand Architect but not any of the good infinite combos with her. Wanderwine Prophets or Dualcaster Mage + Ghostly Flicker are what you're after - these provide you with game ending effects rather than just infinite mana.
1 month ago
1 month ago
So, why would I play Izzet Boilerworks? I'm trying to play Mono-red.
1 month ago
Some artifacts that might help:
With so many artifacts, I'd think running 1xBuried Ruin would be beneficial.
up to 4xGhost Quarter - once you get 7 lands, you can sac one and target one of your own lands to trigger your Outcast.
1 month ago
Thought I would mention, I've found Reality Spasm works as good as Turnabout but takes a little more mana to kick-off, doubles chance of drawing the Infinite mana enabler, and can tutor the other half.
Also, as an alternative to Reiterate I also run Nivix Guildmage. As you can imagine, any combination of Turnabout or Reality Spasm + Reiterate or Nivix Guildmage, all work together, increased consistency of drawing into it, or being able to draw some parts and tutor the missing parts. Imperial Recruiter can Tutor Nivix Guildmage so can Muddle the Mixture out of interest, and both work on 3 other creatures (Muddle the Mixture works on any other CMC2 card as well).
Mana Geyser also can go Infinite mana if you play in 4-player pods regularly.
Also with Nivix Guildmage,
If one of the Islands is a Steam Vents you can get Infinite Mana. Built in Tutor as well thanks to Frantic Search. If you don't have High Tide an Izzet Boilerworks gives you the ability to use Frantic Search to Tutor any card, just doesn't give you Infinite Mana, unless you Tutor to your High Tide and cast of course (it's an instant!).
I would recommend Disallow it can handle lots of interactions people need to start their Infinite Combos, maybe delaying them a turn, or solving the issue all together.
Mana Crypt is a nice mana accelerator, quite pricey though, a Fabricate makes a nice Mana Crypt tutor (or possibly Net + with 2 Experience, can be used on a Sol Ring too or Thought Vessel if you need the no maximum hand size for some reason.
Jace, the Mind Sculptor? He's like another Cantrip.
I tried Metallurgic Summonings, I found Docent of Perfection Flip to be more utility, it's secondary ability is good but not great. Some people play Talrand, Sky Summoner, I wouldn't. To be honest, I know it's CMC7 so doesn't make any sense, but Sphinx-Bone Wand wins me games, if I can get any type of Reiterate going it's a win-con. If you have the Blue Sun's Zenith or something in your hand already then ok, but it's like another really bad Guttersnipe.