|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Beast
When Manglehorn enters the battlefield, you may destroy target artifact.
Artifacts your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
3 days ago
I've done a swap of the number of Glorybringer and Verdurous Gearhulk. 4x Glorybringer gives me better odds to draw it and get it into play turn four or five. I've also increased the number of Mountain to 3x cutting 1x Forest to make room. Glorybringer is double red so having another red source that doesn't come into play tapped really helps.
The difference between the Dragon and Gearhulk is the Dragon's haste. Creature removal is good right now and I get more value faster out of the Dragon than Gearhulk. I've also found the Dragon to be much better than Gearhulk in both Mardu Vehicles and Zombie matchups, especially Mardu as a great way to deal with Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. Gearhulk is also an artifact, the Dragon isn't, which is relevant.
I was sideboarding a third Glorybringer, but I don't need to do that anymore, I cut it for a third Manglehorn. I like Manglehorn in both Marvel and Mardu Vehicles matchups, especially Mardu because it can kill Heart of Kiran and slow down Scrapheap Scrounger.
Small Summary, Sideboard Cards for Matchups (Look for a more in depth guide in the Sideboard Card Choices section soon):
- Marvel: 4x Negate, 2x Manglehorn and 2x Tireless Tracker. Negate is the best card in the matchup because it can counter Marvel as well as both Chandras. I need all four Negates because I want to at least have one turn four. Tracker comes in as a way to get some card advantage if I can disrupt Marvel. This deck has no way to stop Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger.
- Zombies: 3x Radiant Flames, 1x Magma Spray. Flames and Spray are the best cards in the matchup. Spray because it can exile either Dread Wanderer, Relentless Dead or Scrapheap Scrounger. A heavy removal suite of 4x Spray, 4x Harnessed Lightning and 3x Flames is very potent and needed. Harnessed is important because it can kill Lord of the Accursed and/or large Diregraf Colossus, double Lord can make Zombies more than 3 power which gets around Flames. Sometimes I need to kill a Lord before I can sweep the board. Metallic Mimic is also a problem in this matchup it's best to kill it because it can make Zombies more than 3 power.
- Mardu Vehicles: 3x Manglehorn and 1x Magma Spray. This matchup is all about killing or delaying Heart of Kiran. Spray can exile Scrapheap Scrounger as well as kill a turn one Toolcraft Exemplar. Glorybringer although not a sideboard card is one of the best cards for the matchup because it can help me to stabilize being a terrific counter play to Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
- Izzet Control: 4x Negate, 3x Tireless Tracker and 1x Manglehorn. Negate is to stop Glimmer of Genius, Sweltering Suns and protect Tracker. Glimmer is the card that puts Control very far ahead. Suns is the Control players sweeper of choice and it can wreck me if it resolves. Tracker is the card I want to see in this matchup because if I can protect it, it can out card advantage Control. Censor is something I have to look out for always be aware of needing an extra mana for my spells.
- Golgari Energy: 3x Tireless Tracker and 1x Rhonas the Indomitable some versions are playing Heart of Kiran if so 3x Manglehorn also. Fatal Push is the removal spell of choice from my opponent making 3 drops much better than 2 drops in this matchup. Tracker comes in as a way to gain card advantage and Rhonas can be a both an attacker and blocker, mostly a great blocker. Storing energy for Harnessed Lightning is very important because my opponent's creatures can get big.
4 days ago
Maybe some Artifact-hate for Aetherworks Marvel? I like Natural Obsolescence personally, but others swear by Appetite for the Unnatural, Manglehorn, and Release the Gremlins, so I think the pros and cons all kind of even out.
And Sweltering Suns for the Zombie hordes, maybe?
4 days ago
I managed to get 7th place with a slightly updated version. I replaced the random jank in my sideboard with Manglehorn (marvel and control), Prowling Serpopard (control), and Chandra, Flamecaller (zombies). The toughest matchups were control. I managed to beat 1 dynavolt control, Lost to a Grixis control (although that loss was due more to misplays than to the deck itself), and lost to a U/R control. The rest of the field was random homebrews and I had no trouble with those.
I didn't actually get matched with any of the zombie decks, but I'm pretty sure I at least have a chance there if I can manage to stabilize. Marvel I didn't see, but from the games I have played online, its a bit of a crapshoot.
5 days ago
I think that 3-4 Glorybringer is the best amount. It is very good in most game 1's and is almost always a live draw. It does kind of compete with chandra as a two red mana spell that when resolved demands an answer. I might try 3/2, or 4/1You probably should also have 3-4 Bristling Hydra if control decks are prevalent.
Your plan is to be agressive, but not Lathnu Hellion and Voltaic Brawler agressive. I think 2-4 Channeler Initiate is a good spot to be in,as it is pretty sweet at ramping and getting deep-fiends out.
I'm not sure if you are really attached to Fling, i might cut it if you aren't too attached
My suggestions for the mainboard
+1 Glorybringer (take out a chandra if you want 4)
+2 Game Trail
-1 Cinder Glade
Kozilek's Return vs Sweltering Suns/Radiant Flames: Return is only really good against really good against super-aggro decks. Zombies has Transgress the Mind to get rid of cards like Elder Deep-Fiend so return won't be flashed back. It is true, however that Sweltering Suns kills your stuff, so maybe find something else. Chandra, Flamecaller could be good. Or a different card that is good against zombies. Skysovereign is one of those cards, especially good on t4 with a mana dork. I also don't know how prevalent zombies is in your area.
On the topic of control hosers: Bristling Hydra is very good against most control decks, Glorybringer is good against planeswalker control decks, Prowling Serpopard is great against UR, UW, and other blue decks, and Tireless Tracker is good in general. i'd stick with 2-3 of the cat snake for right now, and maybe 1 tracker. You already have it in the main right now so...
+1 Bristling Hydra (very hard for tower, UR control, and sometimes mardu to beat)
-3 Whirler Virtuoso (cuz it's going in the main)
Side note: If you want to keep Fling and stuff, it's your choice. I'm only giving advice. If so:
+2 Game Trail
-1 Cinder Glade
Side Side Note: Lumbering Falls is great against control! (and in general) Throw em in!
Changes I definitely advocate for:
Skysovereign, Consul Flagship in the side
Keep calm and brew on
1 week ago
Alphashados: I found it weird at first as well after a friend convinced me to try it. That said, after testing the deck, sometimes you draw not many lands and need to cycle to Dispossess them or get mana to play Manglehorn. I have tried versions with the fourth Glimmer of Genius instead, and am not sure which I like better.
1 week ago
zekhet: Okay so Harsh Mentor is a card I'm... Really not too sure of myself. He's extremely situational and to be honest I think as far as Aetherworks Marvel decks go, Manglehorn is just the better card even though it's higher CMC. And, yes, the activations need to be from an artifact, creature or land on the battlefield. So things like Scrapheap Scrounger or zombies/embalming are happening from the graveyard and dodge the Mentor's hate. However things on the battlefield will be triggering Mentor, here are a few examples:
- Vehicles like Heart of Kiran, any time you crew, take Mentor damage
- Pretty much any Tap abilities that don't produce mana, this includes Aetherworks Marvel's tap ability to do it's free spell.
- Honestly everything with a colon like Cost:Effect
There's a crap load of those types of effects. And since I'm on the subject, here's a quick look at the Top 8 Decklist and what cards Harsh Mentor will trigger on.... For both our benefit xD
- Cryptbreaker - Both abilities
- Shambling Vent - Don't forget these lands that can turn into creatures, that's a trigger for Mentor as well as Evolving Wilds
- Lord of the Accursed
- Westvale Abbey Flip - not super effective against but hey every bit counts
- Shielded Aether Thief - tap ability
- Whirler Virtuoso - SUPER important here! They'll think twice before losing 2 life to make a 1/1 thopter.
- Woodweaver's Puzzleknot - now only gains them 1 life when they crack it from the battlefield
- Aetherworks Marvel - now costs 2 more life to spin! Wish it triggered that first ability though :(
- Lumbering Falls - Sneaky lands
- GB Energy
- Walking Ballista - here's where Harsh Mentor is probably best, aside from his ETB ability, the other two here are triggers for Mentor
- Longtusk Cub as well as our very own Bristling Hydra and Electrostatic Pummelers are actually triggers for Mentor. In a mirror matchup, you will want to bring Mentor in to punish those activations.
- Hissing Quagmire - Sneaky lands again
- I mentioned it already but, again, Heart of Kiran and crewing any vehicles is a trigger.
Okay, think that should cover most of the big meta things. It was actually really helpful for myself to type that list up because I totally DIDN'T sideboard Harsh Mentor the 4c energy deck I played against tonight who had 4x Longtusk Cubs and that would've been the perfect answer.. All well. Now we're both prepared xD
1 week ago
So based on what you said Argeaux, I'm thinking I should replace Manglehorn in the side with Fragmentize and find room for a Jaddi Offshoot. Its the best one drop in my opinion since I'd lose the Clue token from a Thraben Inspector... None of the other ones really impressed me as far as usuability went... I'll definitely test Tireless Tracker instead of Glimmer of Genius, thats a good idea and helps the back up beat down plan a lot.