Mina and Denn, Wildborn
Legendary Creature — Elf Ally
You may play an additional land on each of your turns.
, Return a land you control to its owner's hand: Target creature gains trample until end of turn.
Printings View all
|Zendikar Rising: Commander (ZNC)||Rare|
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Mina and Denn, Wildborn Discussion
1 week ago
Removed Valakut Exploration, Sphinx's Revelation, Ravages of War (grudingly), Phylath, World Sculptor (should have done so way before as it only cares about basic lands), Mina and Denn, Wildborn and Emeria Angel. Inserted Sakashima the Impostor, Teferi's Protection, Sakura-Tribe Scout, Birds of Paradise, Cloudshift and Titania, Protector of Argoth.
Now only a few land upgrades are missing. and I can go into further refinement after more playtesting.
2 weeks ago
@Savage1988, I am usually in agreement on this. If a card isn't activity helping towards our game plan or winning the game then maybe it shouldn't be in the deck, we don't durdle too much and usually hit a critical mass and go off. This is my argument against great value cards like Skullclamp, sure it will draw a ton but without a creature it isn't a great draw. In the case of Lithoform Engine the versatility might just push it over the edge for me. You mentioned redundancy, this has been spoken about previously and I am sure if this was another Warstorm Surge effect or another decent sac outlet then it would be included as we want redundancy on these key pieces. Lithoform Engine can be all of these plus the trigger copy almost hits all of our permanents making it very viable in my eyes. In regards to what to cut, in my deck at least I have been considering Mina and Denn, Wildborn. The effect is nice but not as strong as Oracle of Mul Daya and at 4cmc I've often found myself wishing it was something different.
@elk88, I did not run Steely Resolve for a long time and you are correct that it seems like it could be a do nothing type draw, however, this card has won me plenty of games as protecting my board has bought me enough time to get far enough ahead to win, or, when I am about to go off not having Omnath removed in response. For 2cmc this card is great and I would be reluctant to remove an effect we have very little redundancy of. Sylvan Safekeeper is great but does have a cost that is either situationally great or can be painful. We have a lot of cards that alone aren't great top decks but that is kinda just how the deck plays. With the additional card draw from ZKR I expect this improved.
3 weeks ago
Idea was pretty solid, and seemed to work pretty well! You should try brewing something Omnath, Locus of Creation and Mina and Denn, Wildborn for a spicy return landfall brew with the new spell lands.
3 weeks ago
Mina and Denn, Wildborn would be at least the same CMC, so it does not worsen your mana curve.
3 weeks ago
I have fun with Collector Ouphe in my Primal Surge - Ruric Thar, the Unbowed deck. I can get behind adding the card. Just need to find a cut for it. I'm still okay with Mina and Denn, Wildborn being that card.
3 weeks ago
Hey, good creation and nice Secret Lair Blightsteel :)
You should consider buying the new Zendikar Rising Commander Land's Wrath precon. In the $20 precon are several cards that can improve your deck:
- Omnath, Locus of Rage: finisher, repeatable Elemental tokens with landfall.
- Zendikar's Roil: repeatable Elemental tokens with landfall.
- Arcane Signet: two drop Rainbow mana rock.
- Mina and Denn, Wildborn: play an additional land on your turn and return a land to give Omnath trample.
- Admonition Angel: repeatable exile opponent permanents with landfall.
- Obuun, Mul Daya Ancestor: repeatable +1/+1 counters with landfall.
- Waker of the Wilds: mana sink to turn lands into Elementals.
- Emeria Shepherd: recur or reanimate permanents with landfall.
- Evolution Sage: repeatable proliferate with landfall which is good with +1/+1 counters.
- Harrow: land ramp, puts two lands onto the battlefield to trigger Omnath and landfall.
- Kodama's Reach: land ramp.
- Return of the Wildspeaker: draw.
- Inspiring Call: protection and draw.
- Myriad Landscape
- Naya Panorama
This is a casual budget Elemental interaction, Risen triggers whenever any Elemental you control ETB which includes tokens. If you reveal a land with Risen then you put it onto the battlefield and create another Elemental which triggers Risen again. This can be a lot of card advantage with Elementals.
Another budget Elemental interaction that uses +1/+1 counters. Ancient is a good card for counters in multiplayer Commander because it triggers whenever any player casts a spell. The mana that Omnath makes can be used to activate Marath and you can keep doing this as long as you can keep putting counters on Marath. Omnath, Locus of the Roil, Obuun, Mul Daya Ancestor, Felidar Retreat, Evolution Sage can all be repeatable sources of counters onto Marath with landfall.
Some budget lands to consider adding to improve the manabase:
- Exotic Orchard
- Jungle Shrine
- Mystic Monastery
- Kessig Wolf Run: it's less than $1, mana sink to give Omnath pump and trample.
- Yavimaya Coast
- Battlefield Forge
- Shivan Reef
- Cinder Glade
- Canopy Vista
- Prairie Stream
The Pain lands: Coast, Forge, Reef you pay 1 life to make colored mana, but that's fine in 40 life Commander and since Omnath is a life gaining engine with landfall. Can get these lands for less than $1 each. The Battle lands: Glade, Vista, Stream would help the manabase since they have good interaction with lots of basic lands and you can get them for less than $2 each.
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
Spartansean765, I used to run Helm of the Host in my old Omnath, Locus of Rage deck and that did get ridiculous left unanswered. I can see it being fun to have equipped on Omnath, Locus of Creation while an extra combat guy like Moraug, Fury of Akoum in play. I think I might replace Mina and Denn, Wildborn for it. Thanks for the suggestion!
What does everyone else think about the add/cut?
3 weeks ago
@ blacksh1ft: Wow, nice of you to catch that one :). I watched an epsode of the EDHRECcast recently about evaluating modal cards. They made a good point that modal cards aren’t really worth the extra cost if you are only using one mode. That is true I think for Garruk, Primal Hunter. Almost all of the time I use the draw ability. And only a very few times I make a token first. I have never used its ultimate ever. So I’m paying GGG for that draw effect when I can also run an instant version that only requires G, which might actually have a more relevant 2nd mode to boot! Can’t say yet which one is better, because I need a bunch or real games to get a feel for Return of the Wildspeaker in this deck. But I suspect the planeswalker card is not returning.
@ Profet93: Thanks for the compliment! I just like to write :). Getting those thoughts out there also gets me into conversations like this, which I really like. Are you also running a M&D list btw? Lets over your questions:
- Deserted Temple: I did consider this card, but I felt it was more at home in a deck that is focusing on untapping lands multiple times. So I’ve put in in another deck. Also, activating Gaea's Cradle 3 times using Mina and Denn, Wildborn is usually more than enough ;).
- Bane of Progress: this card is indeed a good contender for a sweeper. You are right that we can take the hit most of the time, while our opponents will probably be hit worse. I might add it someday, but not right now. Also, I’m not sure I would add it in place of Terastodon. I would agree though that Terastodon is one of the more awkward cards in the deck atm (I was really hoping they’d print a cards with “landfall - destroy target artifact or enchantment” but maybe that’s just too OP). I do like terastodon because it can answer 3 specific problems beyond artifacts and enchantments. Still, I will think about your suggestion. Might be a good swap in the end.
- Terror of the Peaks & Warstorm Surge: These cards feel very at home here :). They are really turning this deck into the thing I wanted to create more of the time. The’ve already turned Genesis Wave into an I-win-now card, and they are just really nice with all those token makers indeed. Especially Scute Swarm. Also, I'm not really trying to emphasize the going tall theme here. The cards that do care about power in this deck are already good with Mina and Denn, which is why I run them.
- Nissa, Vital Force & T&T: I’ve written a lot about why Nissa is not in this deck :D. Check my “Build Considerations” and “Why are you not running X” sections in the primer. T&T is also in that last section: I just don’t really like T&T and prefer not to win that way in this deck.