|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis (DDR)||Common|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Common|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Common|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Common|
|Duels of the Planeswalkers (DPA)||Common|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Common|
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Common|
|Promo set for Gatherer (PSG)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Shaman
When Elvish Visionary enters the battlefield, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (35)||ibraJG84 , Lucretian , richardmv , MythicWinter111 , Mousemke , ironax , TheRealPeaches , sirbar , , frederiklw , TheDuggernaught , TThors , bradyofportdetroit , Grantley91 , bakunet , Yawkcorb , killstars , Reliva , damo_rox , mordredaggrfall , Dsmonsta , rikertchu , nakni , ztanos , DudeMan1031 , DFDGamer , Swamy , itheoryz , RileySisay , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , XxCataclysmiCxX , ExaByteOctopus , Zelpoke , Myllyes314 , FuneralofGod|
|Want (16)||Skwarka , ryaniskool , Dave , kovellen , MADMatt7777 , Turtlelover73 , Chumbawompski , Blue_Otaku_No.1 , Vergil_Redgrail , obitus , B1ad3 , Jonnybidon , Hakira , kvfd1719 , yerfdog1935 , flipdipple|
Elvish Visionary Discussion
9 hours ago
this is a very well made post. My personal suggestions
Every commander needs at least 8 mana rocks. Mana rocks serve a couple purposes depending on which ones you put in. Either they ramp you up mana like Hedron Archive or Mind Stone or they help you mana fix like Manalith. I run Signets simply because they do both. Also cards such as Ruby Medallion are relevant all around, including removing part of the first commander tax.
Decks should have at least a couple ways to add cards into your hands. You covered most of the blue ones such as Brainstorm
I know I missed lots of draw but should give people an idea of what kind of draw you can access in the specific colours.
1 day ago
I think I agree shadow63. Mono Green Elves/devotion definitely have a new option to consider for sure but I think the Lord perk is a pretty crowded feild despite being cheaper. Other Lord's give other desirable perks such as forestwalk, token generation or crazy Mana acceleration... Where Elvish Clancaller's Mana ability seems like it wouldn't be used likely.
I honestly think that other 2CMC Elves would be more desirable just for offering more utility or combo potential such as Elvish Visionary, Fauna Shaman or Devoted Druid... Or even deck thinning with Sylvan Ranger.
4 days ago
Went 2-2 at the LGS beating Affinity and Mardu, and losing to Grixis and Mardu. Playtested Elvish Clancaller in lieu of Elvish Visionary. I never used the fetch ability, but the lord ability helps with speed, consistency, and beats. Also, playtested Pulse of Murasa in lieu of Collected Company. Worked well a couple of times but overall I missed CoCo.
With 8 lords now in the deck I wonder if Mutavault could work. Not sure you can play with 2 utility lands, though, and Pendelhaven protects Elvish Clancaller and Heritage Druid from k-command and c-brutality.
1 week ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
1 week ago
Ok, so I'm seeing a deck that wants arcane adaptation and descendants path to drop big spells. Fair enough.
I highly reccomend more 1 and 2 drop creatures. Making sure that your t3 Descendants' Path hits something turn 4 is valuable. But how to assess those creatures is important. You want to be sure you have big creatures on top of your deck, and you want to avoid needing arcane adaptation where possible.
To do this, is best to assess a small set of cards you'd be using together rather than a lot of individual cards. Getting a set of cards that work well together is better than a bunch of disparate parts- getting a set which acts as a backup plan to arcane adaptation is even better.
One method to find these sets of cards is to look at what creature type you want to name with Arcane Adaptation and go all in on it.
Pretty much every tribe has big game-changing spells and 1 drops that work well. I'd focus on tribes that like stalling/controlling the game (Spellstutter Sprite lists), Protecting their own creatures (spirits/illusions), or already cheat their big stuff in (Preeminent Captain and Incandescent Soulstoke). There are plenty of tribal lists on this site to raid for ideas.
Changeling tribal is a neiche option which I'll mention here- Mothdust Changeling, Shields of Velis Vel etc- there are Haakon, Stromgald Scourge/Basal Sliver/Skeletal Changeling combo lists you can raid for ideas.
The second way is to look for things that can get value out of your big spells.
Looking at CMC matters is another- Nourishing Shoal, Blast of Genius, Kindle the Carnage, Nahiri's Wrath and so on all offer ways for your big spells to impact the game when you aren't casting them for free.
The final option is other Arcane Adaptation combos, to improve card quality by building in redundancy. Turntimber Ranger and any creature goes infinite if you name ally, Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and Ashes of the Fallen, Myr Turbine and tons of creatures, Quest for Ula's Temple and Inkwell Leviathan is a thing.
The big thing is to pick one plan, and stick to it. Its a lot more difficult to disrupt three spells doing the same thing than three different things. Fix your mana curve with a smooth 'I want this or this t1, this or this t2, and this or this t3' plan, and it'll run smooth.
Good luck, and happy brewing!
2 weeks ago
Hey, with a high 4.27 deck CMC and a low land count of 34 lands consider adding some ramp (land ramp creatures, mana rocks, and dorks)?
Karador cares about creatures, three that stand out who land ramp are Sakura-Tribe Elder, Burnished Hart and Farhaven Elf. Elder and Hart can sac themselves which is good with Karador. Dorks can help to ramp into Karador or other cards and when they die they also help to reduce the CMC of Karador. Consider Llanowar Elves, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Elves of Deep Shadow and Deathrite Shaman?
Signets (Golgari Signet and Selesnya Signet) are great budget two drop mana rocks. Fellwar Stone is another good mana rock and of course Sol Ring which should be in every Commander deck :) Ashnod's Altar is a nice artifact with Karador able to sac creatures to make mana which is good with Karador making ramp to play creatures or him and reducing his CMC at the same time.
Consider more draw? Two very good creatures who draw are Disciple of Bolas and Elvish Visionary. These two creatures draw when they ETB this is good with Karador and a sac outlet (Viscera Seer) because you can keep casting one of them turn after turn from the graveyard drawing cards. Disciple sacs a creature when it ETB putting a creature into the grave and drawing cards is a good strategy with Karador.
Good luck with your deck.
2 weeks ago
And most of those will be in the elves vs inventors precon deck.
1 month ago
Animar as a commander nearly negates all colorless costs on all of the creatures, leading Mana Vault/Sol Ring/Mana Crypt and the other such effects to be a waste of a card slot, and the instants, artifacts, sorceries and enchantments can be paid for easily by the dorks and lands. Chrome Mox is already being run, and Mox Diamond is only meh in this build, 30 lands is a bit to little to run Mox Diamond
Tooth and Nail is a waste of mana, mana that you won't get a competitive table.
Aetherflux Reservoir is a much worse win outlet than either of the other options, Altar of the Brood, Impact Tremors, etc. are all much better in terms of mana, but none of those are good, because they can't be tutored for. Reckless Fireweaver is a much better option, though sadly it doesn't work outside of the Ancestral Statue, otherwise it'd be better than the other options being run.
Crop Rotation is quite powerful, but I don't think it is a second Gaea's Cradle powerful, yes it can tutor, but that means it has a cost, and it is a blowout when it gets countered early on my a Mental Misstep. Things like that are probably why it doesn't deserve a spot.
Palinchron is already run