Creature — Elf Shaman
Allosaurus Shepherd can't be countered.
Green spells you control can't be countered.
: Until end of turn, each Elf creature you control has base power and toughness 5/5 and becomes a Dinosaur in addition to its other types.
Printings View all
|Jumpstart (JMP)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Allosaurus Shepherd Discussion
4 days ago
Cool deck. Curious on your thoughts of swapping Gaea's Herald for Allosaurus Shepherd? Sheperd comes down more quickly, makes all your green spells uncounterable, not just creatures, doesn't help opponents due to it's asymmetrical nature unlike herald and is a decent mana sink in it's own right.
I want to recommend Kenrith's Transformation but I can't find a slot for it, perhaps Vivien?
1 week ago
Allosaurus Shepherd would be awesome in this deck. One of the best answers to Island ever printed. I think Ashaya, Soul of the Wild could pull a lot of work in this deck, too. It's gigantic for its mana cost, and it even combos with Quirion Ranger and Scryb Ranger for infinite mana while protecting you against Cyclonic Rift. With the number of fetches you're running, Dryad Arbor would work great. It's useful tech against sacrifice effects and is a good turn 1 Green Sun's Zenith target. My last comment is just a thought, since I don't know how well your deck runs, but Scale Up could be your green version of Dark Ritual, especially if you use it the first time you untap with Selvala.
I would keep Worldly Tutor. You never know when you need to tutor for Walking Ballista because you have no outlet for infinite mana, or games when you need Craterhoof Behemoth to win, or tutoring any number of other cards for other reasons.
2 weeks ago
Thank you October_The_First! Your username is awesome on it's own and then it being in red font makes me think of the movie Red October which I'll have to watch again now. :)
I hear you on the importance of Flash. I just recently experimented with dropping Savage Summoning, another favorite Flash card, for The Great Aurora. While this deck is light on removal, and The Great Aurora helps there while adding another win condition to combo out on one explosive turn, it may still be a win more card. Let's come back to this voltron vs combo balance.
For me it comes down to the total protection package for Omnath and how often he even sees play on the battlefield. Currently there are 8 protection cards:
- Sword of Feast and Famine
- Heroic Intervention
- Nim Deathmantle
- Soul of New Phyrexia
- Vedalken Orrery
- Yavimaya Hollow
- Winding Canyons
I do consider Flash protection and even ran Yeva for a while because her being an elf also helped Priest of Titania and Allosaurus Shepherd. But sometimes she was a straight dead card because I had better protection online or she didn't help with board wipes. Don't get me wrong. There were times where she was valuable but it felt closer to 1 out of 3 rather than 2 out of 3. I also noticed that I never tutored for her.
Let's go back to the first point. If I'm honest I don't play Omnath with voltron as my primary strategy. I tend to play for combo wins first and let Voltron do incidental damage along the way or rely on it as a backup plan. Some games I find I only play Omnath for draw!
I'm still finding the balance between combo and voltron and will keep Yeva and Vivien in mind and the Maybe board.
Thank you for the input!
2 weeks ago
Great list, it feels solid. What are your opinions on Allosaurus Shepherd it makes sure you get a wort and makes most of your tutors uncounterable. A second Vexing Shusher is great I would think and with the amount of elven dorks you could feasibly knock out a player with the Shepherds pump ability.
2 weeks ago
Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any of my want list they feel like swapping for something they need - not being able to play live has me itching for changes I can work on at home. Also, after opening the worst box of Jumpstart I could have imagined, I’d really like to find an Allosaurus Shepherd If someone has a spare. I’ll add an update to my binder later tonight as well.
2 weeks ago
SynergyBuild: Correct. Which is why things like The Great Henge and Guardian Project are being looked at. Also on the radar are Joraga Treespeaker and Elvish Archdruid in place of Karametra's Acolyte and Caustic Caterpillar. The deck is slowly morphing into a Faux Farm, FlashHulk, and IsoRev hybrid where we're trying to assemble a "2 card combo" with Ashaya, Soul of the Wild and one of the rangers (Quirion Ranger/Scryb Ranger) taking advantage of literally any dork under the right circumstance; a 2 mana producing one being the ideal choice, hence the Treespeaker consideration.
- Rush a dork, draw, and/or stax
- Cast Yeva, before our turn
- assemble 2 card combo for 6/7 mana, wait on the prowl to shotgun blast the table.
- NEVER shoot for win, just build while keeping options to win open once 6/7 is reached.
- 4 creatures means free Allosaurus Shepherd with Chord of Calling or one mana with Summoner's Pact
- Bonus points if you can create THE BUBBLE: Casting Veil of Summer into the obvious counter, storm off some more into Allosaurus Shepherd.
We have our pretection, we just need to look for the opening and streamline. Weigh in how easily it is to go infinite with Ashaya and NEED a mana sink or need a Glimpse effect.
3 weeks ago
Wow what a cool looking Primer. Solid deck, you did an absolutely great job! I'm a big Elf tribal fan, because Elves where my first deck ever.
Cool cards that I personally enjoyed playing:
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate = best green planeswalker atm! Cut Yeva and a Forest for Vivien and one/two of the following lands:
- Emergence Zone / Winding Canyons = instead of some Forests
- Sylvan Messenger / Collected Company / Lead the Stampede = much needed carddraw
- Survival of the Fittest / Birthing Pod / Yisan, the Wanderer Bard = best green Tutor-engines
- Ohran Frostfang / Runic Armasaur = really solid carddraw (/Rishkar's Expertise / Return of the Wildspeaker)
- Bane of Progress / Lignify / Song of the Dryads = very good green removal
- Isolated Watchtower / Terrain Generator / Path of Ancestry = cool lands you should consider instead of forests
- Aether Vial + enough draw can snowball really fast
- Cloudstone Curio = an insane combo piece/enabler, especially with: Aluren or Concordant Crossroads
This deck looks already pretty strong, if you want to play on a cEDH table, you just should do some small adjustments:
- Allosaurus Shepherd / Destiny Spinner = instead of the Herald
- Null Rod + Collector Ouphe!!
- Mana Crypt!!
- Chrome Mox / Mox Diamond
- Gemstone Caverns / Ancient Tomb
- Damping Sphere / Thorn of Amethyst = to stop storm decks and slow down other decks
- Sylvan Scrying = to tutor for Cradle or Cavern
- Carpet of Flowers/Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl
I played elves in almost every format and cool combo from modern was: Cloudstone Curio + Heritage Druid + Nettle Sentinel = infinite mana or with something like Elvish Visionary or Beast Whisperer you can also draw your entire deck if you want
1 month ago
I have change Hall of Gemstone for Beast Within for more aggressiveness and versatility. Also (and mostly) because Hall of Gemstone trigger so much hate. The change of sideboard card Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger for Allosaurus Shepherd is also based on the hate factor by changing an alternate wincon with protection for the main wincon.
I have also change Wurmcalling for Moment's Peace. The Buyback effect and the fact that we want to put the most mana possible into the X effect are counter productive with the draw rate of the deck. I'm also trying to re-balance the offensive/defensive capacity.