Creature — Cleric
You may play land cards from your graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||LegendDeer , TheRealPeaches , mcstang1986 , Archegos , L4DMalus , PTsmitty , The_Grape , mymanpotsandpans , thetechzombie , GeminiSpartanX , RedMulligan , rakdos24 , theilluminaire , Atroxreaper , mazrimtaim , Vergil_Redgrail , hwagner , abby315 , Oloro_Magic|
|Want (5)||brokendwarf , VoidCaster113 , Va1mar , buildingadeck , Nightdragon779|
Ramunap Excavator Discussion
18 hours ago
4 days ago
Ok, after everyone's comments, here are my thoughts ...
GOOD MATCH-UPS (Bant Knightfall, UW Control, GBx Midrange, Jeskai Control, Death's Shadow): Mainboard is fine; no sideboard slots needed.
- Ancient Grudge, if I end up using some number of Trinisphere too.
- Ancient Grudge + Shatterstorm, if I don't use Trin'
- Obstinate Baloth (putting one back into the main) and Kitchen Finks (in the side)
- Maybe some Trinisphere.
- The more I think about it, the more I think Beast Within is the key. Say an opponent casts Scapeshift and sacrifices 7 Lands to fetch 6 Mountains (basics and non-basics) and a Valakut. All the Lands enter simultaneously and 6 Valakut triggers go on the stack. With the triggers on the stack, I kill a Mountain. The trigger from that Mountain will resolve and I'll take 3 damage. But the triggers from the other 5 Mountains fizzle, since "the ability will do nothing if [my opponent controls] fewer than 5 Mountains other than that new one by the time it resolves" (source).
- Beast Within is also superb against a resolved Primeval Titan.
- I might be able to catch an inexperienced pilot with Crumble to Dust, but an experienced pilot will wait until the last second (i.e., fetching them with Scapeshift) to play their Valakut. Crumble may still be worthwhile though ... partly for free wins against less experienced pilots, but mostly because hitting Stomping Ground will leave most decks with only 10 Mountains ... depending on the board state, that will often not be enough for lethal.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Engineered Explosives and Reclamation Sage to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
ELDRAZI AND Gx TRON:
- I'm excited to try Crumble to Dust here.
- Blood Moon is of course amazing in the match-up, but post-board they will almost certainly have Ratchet Bomb, Nature's Claim, etc. to deal with it. Still, Blood moon #5 may be worthwhile.
- Beast Within for Devoted Druid and Vizier of Remedies
- Anger of the Gods, for everything else.
- For Counters CoCo: Druid and Vizier demand answers. Renegade Rallier and Eternal Witness makes Exile effects much better.
- For Valuetown CoCo: 7x Manadorks, Ramunap Excavator, and Knight of the Reliquary complicate the Land Destruction plan.
- As with any White deck, I need to watch out for Blessed Alliance post-board. Burrenton Forge-Tender, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Reclamation Sage and Qasali Pridemage could make an appearance as well.
- 3x Trinisphere to slow them down or Eidolon of the Great Revel to kill them
- 1x Anger of the Gods for Goblin Electromancer and Baral, Chief of Compliance
The bottom line (for now anyways) ...
Main: 1x Obstinate Baloth
6 days ago
Your opponent controlling Kess, Dissident Mage has no bearing on what spells you're allowed to cast from their graveyard. It does not allow you to cast one, and Shaman's Trance makes it so it doesn't allow them to cast one either. You can still cast spells with flashback from their graveyard, or play any number of cards from their graveyard if you also activate a Magus of the Will. You could even play a land from their graveyard if you control a Ramunap Excavator. As for if you control Kess, that would allow you to cast one instant or sorcery from their graveyard, assuming you've not cast one from your own graveyard and it's your turn. An interesting interaction is that doing so won't exile the spell as it finishes resolving, because Kess only exiles the spell if it would be put into your graveyard.
6 days ago
Hey! Thanks for your input.
This is actually a French Duel Commander deck, and with 20 life most of those cards aren't as good in my opinion:
- Tireless Tracker is a very good card that I played for a while, but in a super-aggro meta it's removed very easily and does nothing before dying because you don't want to spend your mana on using your Clue tokens.
- I love Sylvan Library with 30 life, but with 20 life you almost never want to draw the extra cards, and the card doesn't accelerate your real strategy enough.
- Lotus Cobra as well stayed for a long time in this deck, and makes for very explosive turns, but it's a 2 CMC with 1 toughness, and it barely ever stayed long enough on the battlefield to work well.
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip is too slow as well, for 3 mana I expect at least the land to enter the battlefield right away. Reaching seven lands with it in play is hard too because she dies easily, and even then her planeswalker's abilities are underwhelming if you can't reach her ultimate (and with 20 life the game is over before).
- Oracle of Mul Daya also dies too easily for it's cost. The card advantage is sweet but does not win you the game, since you are supposed to win the turn you reach 6 mana on board.
- Crucible of Worlds really shines in some situations, but those are not frequent enough to justify it in my opinion. I prefer playing Ramunap Excavator even if it dies to more removal, because at least I can tutor for it when the situation is good for it's effect.
I did not play with Carpet of Flowers nor Choke, but with the last ban list update of French Duel Commander, blue is not played enough to warrant them.
Hall of Gemstone doesn't serve me that much, but it's fun to play in multiplayer games.
All these cards are really powerful and may become a consideration if the meta slows down or blue becomes relevant again, but for now I prefer playing cards that offer an immediate advantage.
1 week ago
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord to combo out with Phyrexian Devourer? Perpetual Timepiece? Mortal Combat/ Epic Struggle? Ramunap Excavator instead of Crucible of Worlds? Magus of the Will instead of Yawgmoth's Will? For more reanimation abuse and will get you an extra zombie because it's a creature. Sidisi, Undead Vizier/ Rune-Scarred Demon instead of your tutors? For same reason.
1 week ago
Hi chiri! Yes. Yes absolutely Ramunap Excavator. I haven't upgraded my decks to their Hour of Devastation versions yet. My favorite thing about the Excavator is that he can't be interacted with until after you've gotten to use him at least once. So at worst, he's an improved Stoic Builder. Thanks for the suggestion :>
1 week ago
Both powerful Eldrazi and Birthing Pod are things I'll probably include in some iteration of the deck but decided not to for now. I'm running Crucible of Worlds and Ramunap Excavator currently so it's sort of a nonbo with the Eldrazi, and Birthing Pod would actually be a great way to consistently search the library but I sort of need to build a creature curve around it.
Bow of Nylea is actually a great inclusion as is in my deck as something to sink excess mana into, so I think I'll work that one in right away. Thanks everybody!
1 week ago
I've had really good experience with all 4 PW I run,
Nissa, Worldwaker is similar though its hard to get 4 forest sometimes may switch for Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip note though that her other +1 does not end at end of turn, so the land stays an elemental
Xenagos, the Reveler has been amazing he truly can produce ridiculous mana and can generate blockers before omnath is out like the other two
Koth of the Hammer is the most likely to get his ult off because his +1 is underwhelming and his -1 is situational, and the power of mountain ping is insane even with only 4-5