|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation (HOU)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Cleric
You may play land cards from your graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (30)||mcstang1986 , clayperce , phoere , The_Grape , Skydra2 , killstars , mymanpotsandpans , duff87 , 7vennum7 , LegendDeer , , TheRealPeaches , KillDatBUG , _raeofsunlight , saj0219 , L4DMalus , theilluminaire , RedMulligan , Atroxreaper , AlertKnave8075 , Vergil_Redgrail , thetechzombie , Archegos , Espi14 , metlguy , Reliva , Aquacomics , hwagner , abby315 , firemind12|
|Want (5)||brokendwarf , Va1mar , vashaclarens , VoidCaster113 , darthnuchi|
Ramunap Excavator Discussion
1 day ago
Definitely malt1255, please use my card choices and build on 'em. That's what we're all here for!
I really like playing 4x Chord of Calling, despite many Bant Knightfall lists cutting them for maindeck Path to Exile. This allows the sideboard to be heavily toolbox-style which can make preparing for a meta game more straightforward.
Due to the fact that I'm only playing 2x Retreat to Coralhelm, I'm not very all in on the combo, and do not need to necessarily always be certain that the Knight of the Reliquary can make it through unblocked. The game plan for my list is to slowly grind throughout the game, and finish off with a trampling Knight of the Reliquary if need be off Kessig Wolf Run.
The main area the deck shines is just through simply outvalue-ing your opponent heavily enough with repeated land interactions off Azusa, Lost but Seeking/Ramunap Excavator/Courser of Kruphix, as well as trying to shut down their strategies with recurred Ghost Quarter and things like Voice of Resurgence.
Let me know if you have any other questions when building your list!
1 day ago
Although Crucible of Worlds is expensive, you might work to create a Glacial Chasm lock with Life from the Loam. Ramunap Excavator, and any Exploration or Regrowth/Phyrexian Reclamation effects you can work into the deck. Sac it every upkeep, get value from the Gitrog, play it again to protect you until next turn.
1 day ago
Murphy77 Thanks for giving me something to reference! Panharmonicon has been working wonders so I've added a couple...! I don't really like Enter the Unknown as much even though I'm lacking in 1 drops, purely because there is no real way to cast it on turn one, and it's difficult to actually get any value out of it. The added land drop is unnecessary as well, as the entire deck can run easily off of 4 lands and doesn't require any amount of ramp.
I often find myself discarding lands with Tomb Robber, and in those cases I could see Ramunap Excavator working rather well, but those are the only times I actually put lands in my graveyard, and oftentimes the boardstate makes it just as easy to explore off of something else instead.
The deck tends to brute-force overwhelm people, whether by creating several massive creatures, gaining massive amounts of life or flooding the board with creatures, sometimes all 3, so Cobbled Wings, with it's extreme lack of synergy compared to the rest of the cards, seems to be a no go with what we're trying to accomplish.
The purpose of Emperor's Vanguard would be to trigger explore regularly, but the big issue I have with it is that it can easily be chump-blocked or otherwise prevented from dealing damage, and at that point it becomes a 4/3 for 4, which is pretty bad. If you gave it wings then it might work out, but that also becomes 6-8 extra slots to achieve what Tomb Robber and Deadeye Tracker achieve easily by themselves.
Several people have suggested Animation Module, and it looks more promising when considered with Rishkar, Peema Renegade and Path of Discovery, but once again I'll have to test it out and see how it goes!
1 day ago
I'm glad you liked my suggestions. I have a Omnath deck of my own (haven't uploaded it yet) where I have those cards but I'm reforming it because I can't make it work (that's why I was checking your deck), Omnath is expensive and it takes forever to star rolling even having tons of ramp. For me the problen is the deck being to heavy to move and passing the first turns doing nothing but taking lands out of the library and when I finally get to cast Omnath they kill it and now you have to get to 9 mana. Also I have big problems with flyers, I like your choices of Ulvenwald Hydra, Tornado Elemental and Cloudthresher, I was planning to run them myself.
Keep in mind that every meta is different, what works for me, won't necessarily work in your meta. From your deck I'd cut:
- Apocalypse Hydra I'd cut it because it only synergize with the Elemental Mastery otherwise is another expensive underperforming fatty, you can put the elemental mastery on any of your power 5 creatures and get a good value out of it.
- Golden Guardian Flip from among all the fliplands in IXL and RIX that's probably the one I like the least, you need mana to play and flip it and you also need a big creature of your own to kill it in a fight, when you flip it you create tokens that don't synergize with the deck so I don't really see the point of it in this deck. If you have it because it produces two mana IMO Dowsing Dagger Flip for a total of mana, you can flip it the same turn you play it and you can give the tokens to a player and attack another, on top of that the land produces 3, it's basically a cheaper situational Gilded Lotus
- Frontier Guide to ramp a single land feels awfuly slow and inefficient, I'd rather play any of the CMC4 ramp sorceries.
- Incandescent Soulstoke I don't think you can really win or deal serious damage by cheating a fatty for a turn and then losing it. Best thing you could throw at him is Molimo that depends on your lands, so in early game it's small in late game you can just cast it. The overal number of elementals in the deck is low. maybe something like Elvish Piper, Deathrender, Quicksilver Amulet or Champion of Rhonas instead?
- Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer It's big and it has trample, but CMC7 is too high but I don't think it earns his slot without cheating it onto the battlefield.
- Rubblehulk a cheap molimo without trample and Bloodrush which I guess not playing double strike you won't use that often
- Spawnwrithe if there was a good plan to make this guy and his copies deal combat damage to an opponet I would love it, but he will be lucky if he manages to do it once on his own.
- Mask of Avacyn unless you are protecting a low toughness guy Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves are better at protecting your guys. You can also use Steely Resolve to protect them all at the same time, but haste is king.
- Seer's Lantern This card is terribly weak. You are already ramping like a mad man and if you want artifacts Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo and Sol Ring are better mana boost. For utility you can try Conqueror's Galleon Flip (check if you can have combined power of 4 or greater the turn after consistently before including it).
- Whispersilk Cloak this card is way too subtle, you want to combo off and crush your opponents with your 5/5 elementals or you are going 4th of July and throw sparks everywhere. If you just want protection the boots or the greaves are better cards.
- Animist's Awakening you start the game with 40 lands in a 99 card deck which mean that at best you can only expect to find one land for every mana you spend on the . I say at best because you have many ramp spells that take lands from the library lowering your chances with this spell. Try instead Boundless Realms maybe you want to include more basic lands
- By Force Not a bad card but you may want to swap it for Vandalblast or Into the Core if there are indestructible artifacts in your meta.
- Clear the Land aren't there any more decent ramp spels with CMC3? find one that at leas don't give lands to your opponents Realms Uncharted don't ramp you but it will put lands in hand and graveyad, and not just basics.
- Creeping Renaissance I want to like this card, but every time I tryed it, it underperformed. In this deck you have few permanents of a single type except for lands and you don't dredge yourself to put stuff in your graveyard. You do have a lot of lands, but to get those lands better use Splendid Reclamation, World Shaper, Ramunap Excavator or Life from the Loam. For a big, more flexible recursion spell I like Seasons Past
- Growth Spasm replace for Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate. they are commander staples for a reason.
- Mizzium Mortars replace for Blasphemous Act kills your creatures but you can be sure that it will kill almost everything and with discount
- Pirate's Pillage allows you to cast Omnath on your 5th land but still i'd swap it for Harmonize another green EDH staple.
- Primal Growth good card but you won't have disposable creatures on your early game and as a late game card is weak. As I told you before Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate (whichever you didnt used before).
- Search for Tomorrow another good card that will perform better in other decks that really need to get to four mana ASAP, IMO some beefy ramp spell would be better for Omnath. Another one I like in this deck is Khalni Heart Expedition
- Evolutionary Leap swap for Ashnod's Altar, you want your sac outlets to be activated without mana and without tapping. Your opponents will probably start worrying as soon as the see this card as it is often used for infinite combos.
- Fires of Yavimaya for Anger. Mainly because you can cast it and put it on the battlefield to block in the early game and later you get the haste bonus. other good options for this end in this deck Ogre Battledriver and In the Web of War, same effect different formats.
- Rite of the Raging Storm I ended up removing this enchantment from the deck because it is slow and don't help me with my defense, it's for more aggressive decks. The elemental that pops and sacrifices is nice when you have the commander, but It doesent justify the 5 manas.
What I'm still missing in the deck.
- Buffs to your creatures Beastmaster Ascension, Forgotten Ancient
- Rampaging Baloths not elemental but those 4/4 bodies will prove useful later to get us some cards and defense
- More recursion Greenwarden of Murasa is a solid creature. The second much worse option is Paleoloth I've tried before in other decks but maybe it can be good with Omnath's tokens.
- Spitebellows Perfect in this deck
- Decimate simply an orgasm every time you cast it. The catch of this card is that you need to be able to target a different permanent of each type, but that is not a problem in multyplayer
- More defense from flyers, I run this funny card Chaosphere, some other cards I'm considering are Spidersilk Armor, Katabatic Winds, Silklash Spider, Sandwurm Convergence.
- Scour from Existence because with red and green you will have trouble with high toughness creatures and/or indestructibles. I'ts a high mana instant but it will resolve any problem you have
- Parallel Lives Because at the end of the day it is a token deck
- Traverse the Outlands a kick ass ramp spell if you manage to ramp four lands or more.
- Heroic Intervention the ultimate shielding card.
- Mana multiplication Mana Reflection, Zendikar Resurgent, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger this one is a bit to hard top lay if you don't cheat it into the battlefield. The low cost option has the problem of helping your opponents too Keeper of Progenitus
- Much more card draw Drumhunter, Mouth / Feed, Shamanic Revelation, Garruk's Packleader.
- Synergy with instant/sorceris Young Pyromancer, Primal Amulet Flip?
- Wayward Swordtooth?
For me the problem with this deck is you need to so many card slots and turns ramping that you don't do much more. It is quite spectacular when you manage to combo off, but it feels a bit like a one trick pony. so that is why I'm tinkering with my Omnath deck trying to find balance for my meta.
Good luck with your deck, I hope I have been of some help.
2 days ago
Wauw. What conclusion: thinning one card from your deck in the early turns aren't worth it, therefore fetchlands are bad.
Along the way, they fix your mana. A lot of decks, at least in modern, have 2 main colors and then splash a third, and it's the splash color that's hard to do, if you don't have fetches. Apart from this, there's regular manafixing - hard to play triplecolor cost cards, if you don't have fetches to get exactly the right lands for that (as long as you play 2+ colors, no problem for monocolored decks, obviously). You want that Siege Rhino on turn 4? It's not impossible out of dual colored lands and basics, but it's fetches that makes it reliable.
Incidental advantages: Shuffling after playing Brainstorm or activating Jace, the Mind Sculptor. As far as I know (and I'm no legacy player at all), this is one of the strongest things to do in that format. Brainstorming without reshuffling is nowhere near the strength of brainstorming and reshuffling.
Triggering landfall (already mentioned). Not something you see that often, but in modern both burn (because Searing Blaze - try and get a basic land to enable landfall in your opponents turn) and decks with Tireless Tracker use this a lot.
Another reshuffle: Anything dealing with the topcard on your library, like Courser of Kruphix or as a play against lantern-control. Useful enough on its own - enough fetches can actually be the only way to play against lanterncontrol before sideboard.
Fetches go the graveyard, which is also an advantage to many decks - anything with Tarmogoyf, or cards that use delirium like Traverse the Ulvenwald and Grim Flayer, or cards that replay from the graveyard like Sun Titan, Ramunap Excavator or Renegade Rallier. Or anything so classic it uses threshold (speaking of classics; fetches can fetch the original ABUR dual lands - they've been able to do that since the first fetches from onslaught). Just count the advantage on this - a card in the graveyard, the land you really wanted for whatever hand you have, and a little bit of late-game thinning.
And only THEN, after you've gotten a good way into the game, the thinning becomes relevant. Is there seriously anybody thinking that removing one card in 52 (opening hand + 1 drawn in your first turn) is anything but microscopically relevant for your turn 2 draw on its own, or is that perhaps a strawman who has learned playing mtg? How often have a deck that didn't really need fetches played them? Are there any examples that could be linked? Monoblue merfolk with fetches whether legacy or modern? Monogreen stompy (without any revolt or landfall)?
2 days ago
Love your deck! I think a quick and easy way to upgrade would be moving into . Tetzimoc, Primal Death is a dino that keeps things under control pretty nicely. This could probably take the place of some number of River's Rebuke and/or Baral's Expertise. It will also assist in Migration 2nd turn, which is super important.
Ifnir Deadlands is my choice desert for budget.
The mana base could quickly support heavy black if wanted. 4x Woodland Stream seems poor because of the tutors in the deck already.
Finally Ramunap Excavator might be something here. It could also be the "card draw" that's needed.