|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battlebond (BBD)||Mythic Rare|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Merfolk Rogue
As True-Name Nemesis enters the battlefield, choose a player.
True-Name Nemesis has protection form the chosen player. (This creature can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything controlled by that player.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (24)||ironax , Ferritt , Justinaut , DrLitebur , jamesesdad , CastleSiege , Vasbear1 , Mousemke , TheRealPeaches , dplerner , AllDayTayTay , RobbyFoxfur , DudeMan1031 , , robbnoble , TheDuggernaught , jaustinhowald , Wolfninja , a_murpheus , FuneralofGod , Loading_Error , Tyqar , lorddarkstar , TheRealSpecialK|
|Want (29)||Blue_Otaku_No.1 , Dadaman11 , LotusPhi , jtaddeo , mango_channel , flipdipple , trancend , Kibble_52 , elyria , Pawstitute , RoninH3RO , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , scynett , Chandelier , metalevolence , Purplemandown , TheDuggernaught , KCMetroGnome , AwesomeJosh , natestocker , xorthias , Xmsy1979 , sleepy104 , UACorsair , rocsta_ , HelixSnapHelix , rockleemyhero , lmsmq , ToolmasterOfBrainerd|
True-Name Nemesis Discussion
3 weeks ago
Well for one True-Name Nemesis isn’t modern legal. I’d recommend cutting the Sea's Claim and Mana Leak. Replacing with 3 Dismember and 3 Spell Pierce and 2 more islands. It’d help if you had Mutavault
3 weeks ago
Hi Jackh! If building a standard merfolk deck is what you're looking for, then have a look at my list.
SCORE: 182 | 68 COMMENTS | 65984 VIEWS | IN 82 FOLDERS
However, if what you're looking for is a budget merfolk deck that can be built on the cheap, then I can suggest some very fun cards.
Cold-Eyed Selkie Cursecatcher Harbinger of the Tides Kiora's Follower Master of Waves Merfolk Sovereign Merfolk Trickster Merrow Harbinger Prime Speaker Zegana Stonybrook Banneret Thada Adel, Acquisitor Vorel of the Hull Clade Wistful Selkie Spreading Seas
With some more that cost a few dollars each if you're looking to upgrade.
I'm sure I'm missing a few obvious choices, but hopefully you'll find a use for some of these cards. In my experience, some cards you may want to drop to make room are Herald of Secret Streams, River Sneak ,and vineshaper mystic .
Some cards that aren't related to Merfolk per say, but would be beneficial to your deck are: Giant Growth, Mana Leak, Unclaimed Territory , Botanical Sanctum(much cheaper out of standard), Hinterland Harbor, Lumbering Falls, Simic Growth Chamber, Temple of Mystery, Thornwood Falls, and Yavimaya Coast.
Sorry if all of this is a lot of information or if I've listed a lot of cards out of your price range, but there are defiantly some cheap upgrades to be made.
**edit I've noticed that tappedout has some card prices listed incorrectly, so check elsewhere first if you're thinking a card is too expensive.
3 weeks ago
Enchantment - Aura
When [CARDNAME] enters the battlefield, target player gains control of it, then put 4 time counters on each creature enchanted player controls.
Creatures and creature spells enchanted player control gain Vanishing X, where X is that cards's CMC.
3: Put a time counter on target creature. Any player may activate this ability.
5R: Remove a time counter from any number of creatures you control. Those creatures gain +1/+1 for each time counter on them until end of turn
"Now, it's your turn."
This card is meant for commander in the same way True-Name Nemesis is. Additionly, by tying the time counters to something useful (creatures and pumping them), it's now somewhat viable to run as a plan. The reference is just to give some idea as to how it can be used both offensively by pumping your own creatures or defensively by making an opponent need to burn resources to keep their creatures around.
For the next one, make a planeswalker with a static ability. One that it doesn't need to activate every turn.
1 month ago
Examples of cards with protection that aren't protection from specific colors:
Warren-Scourge Elf - Protection from Goblins (goblins can't block or target it, but other creature types can, even other red creatures)
Emrakul, the Promised End - Protection from instants (you can still point a sorcery or enchantment at it)
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn - Protection from colored spells (you can still target it with abilities or colorless spells)
Horizon Drake - Protection from Lands (lands that turn into creatures can't block or damage it, lands that target with an ability can't target it)
Polis Crusher - Protection from enchantments (no Auras allowed, but non-enchantment spells are fine)
True-Name Nemesis - Protection from a chosen player (that player can't do anything to the Nemesis, but other players can)
Progenitus - Protection from everything (you basically can't do anything to it)
Remember that something with protection can't be:
Damaged by sources with the specified quality (Goblins, lands, everything, etc.)
Enchanted or Equipped by permanents with the specified quality
Blocked by creatures with the specified quality
Targeted by spells with the specified quality, or by abilities from sources of that quality
The quality in question doesn't have to be a color.
1 month ago
Hi! Looks like a sweet start to a Merfolk deck (a deck I've wanted to build myself for quite a while)! Here are some recommendations:
- Seafloor Oracle is a pretty powerful card draw engine when you can get it online early
- Merfolk Mistbinder is another 2-mana lord
- Forerunner of the Heralds and Merrow Harbinger are good tutors
- Tatyova, Benthic Druid is just a good card in Commander, and the fact that she's a merfolk is just an added bonus
- Murkfiend Liege, Seedborn Muse, and Paradox Engine help you activate Kumena's abilities many times in a turn cycle.
- Surgespanner can be a house, bouncing tons of permanents each turn, as you can tap it for free
- Cryptolith Rite is good ramp and a strong "tap outlet"
- Lightning Greaves is good at protecting Kumena or any other powerful creature you may have
- Kodama's Reach should be in every green deck
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip can make a ton of mana, and helps you dig towards your creatures as well.
- Beast Within is an extremely powerful removal spell
- Treetop Village and Lumbering Falls; manlands are so much worse in Commander than in 60-card formats
- Remote Isle; blue and green have better ways to draw cards than cycling away your lands
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Grove; green has much better mana fixing
- Bioshift doesn't really do anything
- Tideshaper Mystic is the same; cutting one opponent off of mana doesn't do much, and 1/1s for 1 that die to board wipes are mediocre at best.
- World Shaper isn't really where you want to be; you don't have a ton of graveyard synergies
- River's Rebuke isn't my favorite board wipe in Commander, even in blue/green. I'd play Devastation Tide instead.
- Slinn Voda, the Rising Deep just does too little for 10 mana. If you're spending 10 mana on a single card, that card should be winning you the game.
- Talrand, Sky Summoner, as you don't have a ton of spell synergies
- True-Name Nemesis is good, but mainly in Legacy. In Commander, a 3/1 that just one player can't interact with is bad.
- Shapers of Nature is a decent mana sink, but I think you'd rather just be doing something else with your mana.
Hope this helps! If you'd like me to explain some of my choices more, or if you want help on another deck, feel free to leave a comment on my profile, and I'll take a look as soon as I can!
1 month ago
They fit in the same spot on the curve. True-Name Nemesis is only 3 power compared to 4, but it is a lot more resilient. Like, a LOT.
It's also unblockable over flying. Don't know if it's relevant, but getting chumped by Lingering Souls Spirit Tokens might be a thing.
I'm guessing the price tag is the main reason we don't play it, but if not for the price would it be better?
1 month ago
My highest priorities right now are 2x True-Name Nemesis and 3x Cryptic Command, but other stuff I'm actively seeking include Creeping Tar Pit, Kolaghan's Command, and Nahiri, the Lithomancer (among some commons and uncommons too!).
1 month ago
Hey everybody, just trying to finish up some legacy decks. All help is much appreciated!
Thanks for looking!