|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Beast
Landfall Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Baloth Woodcrasher gets +4/+4 and gains trample until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Baloth Woodcrasher Discussion
1 month ago
5 months ago
Some changes I'd do and try out how they fare:
- Sol Ring (Illegal in our playgroup) run a dork instead
- Simic Keyrune - Play mana Dorks instead
- Vision Skeins - Play better draw spells for only you
- Flash Counter - Play better version of this
- Siren Stormtamer - Play better version of this
- Chasm Skulker - we don't synergize with this
- Tempt with Discovery - there's better ramp that's just for us
- Solemn Simulacrum - we are in green
- Creeping Mold - too expensive
- Pathrazer of Ulamog - Doesn't have a cast trigger, but we cast eldrazi
- Baloth Woodcrasher - We are not in limited or in landfall
- Scaled Behemoth - We are not in limited
- Gauntlet of Power - We are in 2 Colors
- Lightning Greaves - our commander is frequently not a creature
- Swiftfoot Boots - our commander is frequently not a creature
- Imprisoned in the Moon - the green one is better
- Song of the Dryads - Better than imprison in the moon. Binds everything until removed
- Doubling Cube - Should be very awesome with kruphix
- Nature's Claim - cheap instant speed removal
- Paradox Engine - we run counters and can keep our nonland mana so this should yield a lot of mana
- Vedalken Orrery - I think we like a lot of flash in this deck
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir - Flash for us and slowmo for the others? Yes please!
- Dispel - cheaper than flash counter. Maybe play Swan Song instead of it.
- Everflowing Chalice - bestest manarock to dump mana in
- Brainstorm - best draw spell ever
- Staff of Nin - draw a card a turn and kill some mana dorks
- Fyndhorn Elves - mana dork
- Heroic Intervention - Protect's kurphix and therefore our accumulated mana
- Simic Charm - same as interverntion
- Turn Aside - see above. might be one too many but hey. if it's too much protection run more dorks.
- Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - she spits dorks. could be very awesome
- Jace, the Mind Sculptor - Brainstorm every turn and an alternate wincon in a lockdown situation. Best walker ever.
6 months ago
I just wanna say that I love your list. I've been a fan of Mina and Dinn since I started playing magic and reading the lore. This looks like a powerful list that can plow through the more expensive decks that can't keep up. I do have some suggestions for cards I'm surprised you over looked, first and for most Parallel Lives or a Primal Vigor you have a fair amount of token generation and if elementals dying for omnath is your favourite combo maybe something like Mycloth could help with that. Adventuring Gear and Explorer's Scope can pump your boy's and help you ramp. Finally, it sucks that you bought a banned card but maybe you could substitute it with Baloth Woodcrasher it doesn't fetch a land but it's a cheap card and a similar body
11 months ago
Ok, Round 2.
So you want to build a classic Timmy deck and ramp up to big creatures, and kill with big creatures. Seems like a solid strategy. Here are my suggestions.
First, go all in on land ramp or creature ramp.
With land ramp, cards such as Explosive Vegetation, Explore, and Cultivate are your best friends. If you are doing this you'll need to run a land count that is roughly around 25-28 lands, in order to facilitate you pulling them all out of your deck. You will then want up to 1/6th of your deck to be payoff cards. (Based off of a quick look at a typical tron deck). Creatures such as Rubblehulk and Zendikar Incarnate get tons of value off of the higher land count. Ground Assault can be a powerful removal spell provided you have enough lands. Savage Twister can also be used as a boardwipe, that you can control the strength of. Rampaging Baloths is also a card that can seal the game for you. And one swing off of Baloth Woodcrasher after an explosive vegetation can mean lethal.
Creature ramp on the other hand is a little different. You can play less lands, up to 22-24, as long as you are playing enough 1 mana dorks. An interesting thing to note about 1 mana dorks is how they speed up your gameplan. If you play a dork on turn 1, then on turn 2 you will have 3 mana, essentially gaining a turn over your opponent. If you play a dork again, on turn 3 you should have 5 mana. (Assuming you are hitting your land drops). In this case cards such as Explosive Vegetation aren't as good, because you won't be able to play in on turn 2, and on turn 3 casting it will leave you with one unused mana. So you want to build the curve of your deck so that it takes advantage of this by having a turn 1 dork such as Llanowar Elves, a turn 2 dork that costs 3 such as Greenweaver Druid, and on turn 3 play a six drop such as Terra Stomper or Soul of the Harvest. (By the way, this same principle applies to the land deck because Cultivate will get you to 5 mana on turn 4, and Explosive Vegetation will get you to 6.) I would also recommend making this deck mono colored, and use your removal in cards such as Prey Upon.
The third option is to go full on Tron. The urza cycle of Tron lands can get you to 6 mana on turn 3 with just the lands. It is all colorless mana however. Tron is a very powerful deck arcehtype, and is even Pauper legal. Here's a pauper list that might give you ideas on how you could do something similar if you decided to go down that route. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-temur-tron-22406#online
There are a lot of different ways to take this deck, but the important part is deciding on where you are going to take it and sticking with it. You can have mana dorks in your lands list but it might not run as well, and vice versa for anything else. You have to choose what you want and work to narrow it down into something that is cohesive. Good luck with your deck, and let me know which route you take! I might end up making the other list haha!
Remember, you can always order your list online. Most of the cards in this strategy should be fairly cheap, and shouldn't break the budget.
1 year ago
Baloth Woodcrasher leaving this here so you can take a look
1 year ago
Keeping it under $15 should be really interesting, You should be fine with creatures but spells might cost you more.. I'm curious as to how functional it will become.
Here are a couple suggestions off the top of my head that should fit:
Naturalize, Naya Charm, Keeper of Progenitus, Terastodon, Fires of Yavimaya, Swiftfoot Boots, Drumhunter, Knotvine Mystic, Hull Breach, Garruk's Packleader, Gruul Ragebeast, Garruk's Companion, Behemoth Sledge, Hunted Dragon, Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, Dauntless Escort, Paleoloth, Baloth Woodcrasher, Destructive Revelry, Stalking Vengeance.
1 year ago
Finally played this tonight, LOVED it. I eliminated one opponent with a single attack with many landfall triggers and Baloth Woodcrasher. Boundless Realms got me 8 extra land drops on turn 5 and I trampled the hell out of him.
In the end I went back and forth way too many turns against a colorless Eldrazi deck and held my own even through an All Is Dust which was pretty pivotal for them. I lost the ability to cast multiple lands and couldn't see the top card anymore. I had a few misplays that might have changed things, but overall I did most of the things I wanted. I was sorely disappointed that I didn't get Crucible of Worlds which would have also made a huge difference, but I got a real feel for how things work in a real match and it was wonderful.
I started so strong with 4 lands and Burgeoning in my opening hand so I went into turn 2 with 4 mana since I went first. Disgusting. Can't wait to get even more games in, we ended up only playing one incredibly long game that ended sort of dumb with an Inkmoth Nexus wearing an Argentum Armor and Loxodon Warhammer for exactly 10 Infect damage... cheap way to lose, but I didn't have a flyer...