|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Bird
Deathtouch (Creatures dealt damage by this creature are destroyed. You can divide this creature's combat damage among any of the creatures blocking or blocked by it.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Tidehollow Strix Discussion
2 weeks ago
Hey Sombrereo, thanks for the suggestions! Disciple of Deceit will definitely replace Tidehollow Strix. I'm also really glad you suggested Mausoleum Wanderer as a strictly better Judge's Familiar. Lastly I think Lingering Souls is a great way to replace the Tidehollow Strix flyer slots. My original reasoning behind running 4 Tetzimoc, was that she is extremely weak to hand disruption and counterspells, but the prey counters still remain on the creatures, so running extra copies could help with consistency. I think that now that I have a few extra slots to work out for the Lingering Souls, I'll likely drop her down to 3.
2 weeks ago
4 months ago
Thanks for the comments guys, awesome to see that people actually comment on a deck on this site.
The deck got changed to legacy, that was a mistake from my side.
Mortuary Mire Seems quite nice and inexpensive, gotta add 4 of those :)
So what do you guys think of the small zombie theme? I like the idea that they buff each other, but I'm in doubt if it would be better to remove those zombies and add 4 Tidehollow Strix and 4 Vampire Nighthawk, to get some more death touch and lifelink? The overall goal of the deck is to sit a bit back and handle early tough creatures with Fog Bank and threaten their creatures with death touch and then later use Control Magic to take their really strong overpowered creatures. We normally play casual games 4+ guys and their is often 1 angel deck and 1 green aggro deck.
5 months ago
Eternal Witness Tell me what you want, what you really-really want, so tell me what you want... to reclaim from the grave? I don't really see it. And you have only a single Tasigur, the Golden Fang and 2 Sultai Charm that could possibly dump something you want back in the graveyard. Are there really no better 3-drops?
Tidehollow Strix ok, deathtouch is nice, and all. But a 4-of? It's a decent enough turn 2 play, if you want to stall against an aggressive deck, but later on it's maybe not really what you want. A clock of 2 life/turn is also slightly on the slow end. And if you meet a deck that plays Lingering Souls it's a really bad card, trading for just 1 token. But against opponents who play one huge threat and comes running with it, it's the best creature you can get.
5 months ago
I couldn't help but make a fun modern deck after a friend of mind gave me his boxes of cards - free of charge. I noticed he had two of my favorite cards: Tidehollow Strix & Glint-Eye Nephilim. It was then I wanted to make a deck that was nothing but fun with these two cards, and I have two for you guys to see. I appreciate upvotes and comments. I might need some sideboard help, but I think these are just great. X3
6 months ago
I want to be playing more of a control game, and more than 15 creatures might be too much.
So Favorable Winds feels unnecessary.
6 months ago
- Hymn of the Wilds (this card sucks in multiplayer. Every deck needs its instants and sorceries)
- Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast gold cards should fit an archetype or just be good, and this doesnt fit either category
- Ghost Council of Orzhova pretty bad actually
- Figure of Destiny I think your initial impression was right. Lets scrap it
- Magister of Worth white has enough wrath effects
- Tidehollow Strix no comment
- Arlinn Kord Flip I think Xenagos is better based on how the archetypes are shaping up
- Surrak Dragonclaw I think Maelstrom Wanderer fits the archetypes in temur better (spells, gruul beats and whatever simic does)
- Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile discourages attacks, even against other players, which is bad. If we had included Azorius hard control, stax or tax this card would be fine though
- Gustcloak Savior I dont think it does enough
- Herald of the Host Serra Angel isnt good enough for this format
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip pikers arent good enough in this format, and he sucks as a planeswalker I think
- Crescendo of War too slow
- Dusk / Dawn I think that ultimately there wont be a deck that really benefits from this
- Just a general note about white: we have too many pump effects. Lets cut a couple.
- Broodbirth Viper fine if the cube is lower power level, but its quite high now
- Quickling do we have a deck for this card?
- Serendib Efreet this card doesnt match up well against multiple opponents
- Reverse Engineer too narrow
- Should we include a few more morphs so that stratus dancer is less obvious? Maybe Willbender, Thousand Winds and Kheru Spellsnatcher? At least all these cards kick ass in multiplayer.
- Bloodghast only good in one deck, and even then, it requires some setup. I feel Reassembling Skeleton is a better option for the cube.
- Sly Requisitioner too narrow
- Triskaidekaphobia cute but too shitty
- Dark Confidant I realized this card will probably just kill you.
- Phyrexian Metamorph feel kind of stupid for missing this
- Spellskite maybe this sucks, I dunno
- Curse of the Swine
- Kheru Spellsnatcher
- Thousand Winds
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
- Waste Not
- Innocent Blood
- Bloodchief Ascension
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Reassembling Skeleton
I think our next task will be deciding which are the best 50 or so cards in each color from our pool. that should lay the groundwork for deciding which narrow cards (i.e., archetype-specific) cards we should include. Curious to hear your thoughts on cuts/additions!
7 months ago
Change Log 01/05/17
Added colored artifacts for the Dimir artifact archetype. Thought it would be a good idea to include some Dimir/X artifacts as well for some added variance.
- Executioner's Capsule (artifact removal)
- Scepter of Fugue (cross archetype artifact. could work in punisher?)
- Sharuum the Hegemon (Gives us a reason to splash white)
- Silas Renn, Seeker Adept (good blocker, does stuff when it connects)
- Noxious Gearhulk (bomb)
- Sphinx Sovereign (decent top end, gives orzhov drain a payoff for splashing blue)
- Sphinx Summoner (value fliers. can't say no)
- Tidehollow Strix (this card is probably too shitty... BUT it's a nice rattlesnake in Dimir, which is good in multiplayer, and it's an artifact. Thoughts?)
- Cranial Plating (duh)
- Bident of Thassa (messes with opponents' combat and is an artifact. seems like other decks might want this, which is why i like it)
- Courier's Capsule (it's possible that this card just sucks, but I wanted to cast a wide net)
- Etherium Astrolabe (need sac outlets for Spine etc.)
- Etherium Sculptor (cost reduction)
- Ethersworn Adjudicator (good beater, another reason to splash white)
- Filigree Sages (this actually seems kinda bad now that I think of it. what do you think?)
- Inkwell Leviathan (duh)
- Mask of Riddles (maybe this sucks, but it's a good way to sneak in some damage and get cards while being an artifact)
- Master of Etherium (duh)
- Master Transmuter (duh)
- Sharding Sphinx (good top end)
- Skill Borrower (possible terrible, but could be fun. We need to see if there are enough activated abilities in the archetype to justify this)
- Thopter Foundry (need sac outlets, card is just value. we will not include the combo I don't think)
- Bastion Inventor (seems decent, but maybe a bit underpowered in multiplayer)
- Herald of Anguish (duh)
- Reverse Engineer (draw that rewards artifact decks. maybe too specific? probably better for the cube to just put some other draw in this slot)
- Sly Requisitioner (good way to get value from your sacced artifacts. also lines up nicely against the grave pact deck)
- Whir of Invention (duh)
- Wurmcoil Engine (duh)
- Spine of Ish Sah (duh)
- Solemn Simulacrum (duh)
- Scrap Trawler (duh)
- Treasure Keeper (duh)
- Filigree Familiar (duh)
- Epochrasite (i'm not super sold on this, but I like recurrable creatures in multiplayer, so this seems nice)
- Lodestone Golem (possibly too annoying)
- Scarecrone (duh)
- Foundry Inspector (duh)
- Palladium Myr (duh)
- Trading Post (duh)
- Myr Retriever (duh)
- Ichor Wellspring (duh)
- Mycosynth Wellspring (duh)
- Pristine Talisman (duh)
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (not sure actually whether this is the right tez for this archetype. both of the ones from kaladesh seem spicy. what do you think?)
OVERALL THOUGHTS: I'm a bit worried that this archetype as it is now builds itself too easily. I would prefer to have more cross-pollination among archetypes and less "this card is only good in the artifact deck". There is a risk that having both goblins (which are basically junk cards if no one is in the archetype) and artifacts (many of which are only good in the Dimir archetype) dilute the cube too much, making the less archetype-driven decks worse off due to fewer playables. What do you think?