|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Field of Ruin
: Add to your mana pool.
, , Sacrifice Field of Ruin: Destroy target nonbasic land an opponent controls. Each player searches his or her library for a basic land card, puts it onto the battlefield, then shuffles his or her library.
Field of Ruin Discussion
1 hour ago
This is a brief response. Modern is decently diverse right now
Right now the format has 4 decks that I prepare for.
Izzet Phoenix - a spell slinger deck
Dredge - Traditional not BridgeVine
Tron - Green Urza Tron
Both Dredge and Phoenix, see below.
Basically, you NEED major graveyard hate. The U/W control deck is actually maindecking a Rest in Peace
And you should have a full playset in the board. Or use
Tron, you want
U/W Control - whatever you think you need to get past Jace and Terminus
1 day ago
About those of your suggestions. I have been testing Narset, Parter of Veils by cutting Coercive Portal and she has been amazing and is here to stay but I don't know what is right to cut. I have also been testing Treasure Cruise by cutting Tasigur, the Golden Fang because Karakas has been showing its head.
And now to your maybeboard.
- First is that I would switch Liliana of the Veil because in a controlling deck Liliana, the Last Hope is just amazing because she makes combat unbearable for opponents + she is card advantage and win condition.
- I haven't had good time with Chart a Course and I feel like that it is more tempo card and I would replace it with Gitaxian Probe
- Search for Azcanta Flip is just too good not to play. I would cut Ashiok, Dream Render because I tested her in 2 tournaments and I drew her 8 times and never wanted to play her even on to empty field.
- I would change Liliana's Triumph to Collective Brutality because there aren't many creatures that you need to kill with sacrifice (True name, Mirran Crusader are the biggest)
- For some reason I have had hard time finding enough cards in graveyard to support 3 big delve creatures + tarmo + azcanta so I would suggest trying to cut Tasigur, the Golden Fang to Scavenging Ooze
- This may be only personal preference but I don't like Pernicious Deed in sultai for some reason and I would suggest giving change to Courser of Kruphix or Spellseeker
- For your manabase I would suggest adding more colored lands like fast lands Blooming Marsh Botanical Sanctum Darkslick Shores and cutting Volrath's Stronghold , Temple of Mystery and then either one of these Bojuka Bog or Sunken Hollow and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for Tectonic Edge . Personally I wouldn't even play Field of Ruin but it can fix and is good enough
- I wouldn't add Coiling Oracle any more because Modern Horizons is bringing us Ice-Fang Coatl that is just sadly supreme version of Oracle (crying because it is my pet card)
- Sakura-Tribe Elder , Shriekmaw and Recurring Nightmare are more rock like strategy and don't fit in + Nightmare is shit if you don't have enough creatures
- I would suggest to test Glen Elendra Archmage and Catacomb Sifter depending what your meta is like. Oh and Eldritch Evolution is extremely powerful card but I am not sure of it because you don't have as many creatures.
Otherwise your deck seems solid more controlling sultai that will win games.
I hope that I answered your question well enough. Also remember that these are just suggestions and not absolute do things and some cards may be better in different meta games.
2 days ago
Currently you have no reason to need white mana in the side so trading some BW duels for basics should be better. Running Field of Ruin / Blast Zone could add utility to your mana base that gets ramped up to 11 with the ability of Karn, the Great Creator to fetch Crucible of Worlds from the side. Your game plan seems pretty grindy so Mox Amber might be better off as a Dimir Locket / Gleaming Barrier just because only 7 cards enable it to make mana making it a Darksteel Relic most of the time.
4 days ago
Love the deck!
I was worried that there would be a bit of tension between Ashiok and wanting a free Trap.
I run a similar list, but with more focus on instant speed reactions.
4 days ago
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, Saljen! I added Ghost Quarter to the deck. At first I didn't want to add it, because the deck really wants to be able to turn 2 Boomerang , but I still have enough Island to do this reliably, though I feel that a playset of Field of Ruin would cramp this. I'm also adding another Spreading Seas and 2 Sea's Claim over Narset. Narset was appealing because it granted card draw, and also sometimes just destroys decks like Phoenix and Storm if they can't deal with it, but now with Tron on the rise, Spreading Seas and Sea's Claim seem strong. All of the other suggestions I like and want to put in the deck, however, I am trying to keep it as budget as possible, and I think that they are more expensive then they are worth. I may make other price tier levels for the deck, though.
4 days ago
So W/U Terminus control seems to be at about at its peak in terms of tuning, and unfortunately that means that, if you wanna make this deck optimized to its fullest, you’re going to need the fetches, Jace, etc. The nice thing about W/U control, though, is that there are a lot of free slots that you can play around with. Here’s my own list, which is reasonably close to the standard (save for a few one-ofs that I just like playing with): NOT A BREW
If you want a cheaper build that’s still decent, however, you’re not out of luck. You can build a slightly budget version of the “oops, all Gideons” control that was running around in 2017. You usually run a 2-1 split of Gideon of the Trials and Gideon Jura , which both keep you alive and eventually become win conditions. I would recommend purchasing a full playset of Field of Ruin , which both act as budget fetches and also keep you alive against Tron. I would also recommend some number of Mana Leak and Logic Knot , although admittedly Logic Knot is only at its best if you’re playing Search for Azcanta Flip, which is not a budget card. Instead of Snapcaster Mage , which is quite expensive but also is crucial to your strategy, you could run Mission Briefing , which lacks the body that makes Snapcaster so good but gives you a chance to set up your next draw. I would recommend looking at Raph Levy’s deck for PT Rivals of Ixalan. It’s not budget, but it gives you a frame of reference for what I’m talking about. If I can find a link to the decklist, I’ll link it later.
And...I think that’s about it! I don’t know if this was any help. Good luck, and may you draw all the salt from your opponent as you counter your way to victory!
5 days ago
Land harassment is your goal, so by using these auras on their lands then only bouncing other lands; it leaves them with some lands on the board that only tap for colorless if they aren't using Blue. These come down early and can really shut down a lot of decks. It's basically Blood Moon in Blue, especially when paired with Boomerang and Eye of Nowhere .
I'd also consider a copy of Cyclonic Rift . You're going to have to deal with creatures that come out early, and you don't want to spend your land bouncers on creatures if you can help it. It's pricey, but even just one can be great. Rift can be cast early to get you out of a bind, or preferably late to clean up the board now that their lands are boned.
I'd also consider some non- Island lands. Since you're mono-blue you can easily run 8x utility lands and always have your colors. 4x Ghost Quarter would be a very solid place to start. More land harassment, great against decks that like to put auras on their lands for mana. This type of land destruction also lets you knock out their non-basics, and most Modern decks don't run a whole lot of basics so eventually they'll turn into just plain ol' land destruction. There's also Field of Ruin that doesn't put you behind a land, but can't kill their basics and costs mana. You could honestly just run 4x of each of these and run a copy of Crucible of Worlds to recycle them and be really oppressive. Another one to heavily consider, though it's going up in price, is Blast Zone . Really give you an answer to any creatures they manage to sneak by your land harassment. 4x Ghost Quarter + 4x Blast Zone + 1-2 Crucible of Worlds would just be insane in this deck. That'd probably be your perfect land setup, with the rest being Island s, but there are a lot of budget alternatives for the land destruction lands. This seems like a budget deck, so these may just be suggestions for upgrading your deck in the future.
As far as cards to cut, I'd say that Narset doesn't really do much for you here. She's great when paired with cards like Howling Mine , or as a sideboard card against decks that rely on a lot of draw like Faithless Looting . Opt is really the only other place to cut that I can see. Everything else looks pretty on point for what you're trying to do.
Really like what you've put together here, it seems like a ton of fun for the pilot and a nightmare for the opponent. Hope this comment helps!
1 week ago
Nice deck. If the price is not a concern you could exchange Tectonic Edge , Field of Ruin or Encroaching Wastes with Dust Bowl , Ghost Quarter or Wasteland . You have quite high costs and some (x) cards. You could inculde some infinity mana combos like Grand Architect + Pili-Pala or Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal + mana rocks.
other consideration: Padeem, Consul of Innovation
Field of Ruin occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%
All decks: 0.62%
All decks: 0.3%