|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Planechase Anthology (PCA)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Planechase 2012 Edition (PC2)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas (DDH)||Uncommon|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||Snydog17 , RedMulligan , bakunet , , Reliva , TThors , TheAnnihilator , , teslacoil7992|
|Want (3)||Furiosto , mtgpat , Zeldark|
Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree Discussion
1 week ago
Trostani Discordant does go well with your commander, but i think Trostani, Selesnya's Voice would be a better match. Helm of the Host duplicates creatures you like into tokens and then Trostani, Selesnya's Voice duplicates them for Advent of the Wurm, Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree, Darien, King of Kjeldor, Trostani's Summoner, Emmara, Soul of the Accord and March of the Multitudes help get tokens out. Glare of Subdual lets you pretty much prevent all damage dealt to you because you have a bunch of little tokens to tap. Emmara Tandris is good with tokens.
1 month ago
I might consider Grave Pact but not Attrition, reason being, they cost the same in the end but grave pact does not cost more to keep activating and is a static effect. That being the main reason, the other reason is: if i remove a card in my deck for Attrition, will Attrition make up for the combos i could of done for whatever card i removed? As for Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree i played it, but i removed it due to mana issues, my deck starts out needing mana like crazy, tapping a land and 4 mana for a saproling is not cost efficient for my ghave deck as i run combo interaction, i find through testing that Awakening Zone, From Beyond and Bitterblossom are better for the purpose of making tokens.
1 month ago
2 months ago
First of all, having a Savannah and only one fetch seems criminal. As for actual suggestions, I'll start with cards in the Maybeboard that I don't think belong there.
- As a creature, Soul Warden or Soul's Attendant seem like better fits than Ajani's Welcome.
- Juniper Order Ranger feels a bit extra tbh. And beyond that, I think this deck would rather drop the lord after the tokens are in play. Marshal's Anthem is a lord effect I keep trying to fit into decks but never make work. Maybe this deck could use it?
- It could just be bias against my meta, but Carnage Tyrant doesn't seem great. Around here there tend to be more wraths than targeted removal, and as far as "Can't Be Countered", Prowling Serpopard is way better.
- Unless the instant speediness is important, I'd consider Spine of Ish Sah over Scour from Existence. It gives random upside if it ever dies or gets bounced! You've also just got a lot of incidental hate cards in here, but I'm not sure how much Thalia, Heretic Cathar or Melira, Sylvok Outcast are actually beneficial to the deck. I think your protection cards ought to do a good enough job.
As for your mainboard, it looks sweet!
If your deck gets up to enough mana, you could also consider replacing Beast Within with Terastodon, but then you lose the instant speediness. Wolfbriar Elemental also feels like a card that would enjoy getting into the deck if it can easily make lots of (green) mana, but maybe that's too many token generators?
There's also a couple solid white value creatures that appear to be missing from the list, namely Sun Titan and Karmic Guide, although I can't actually decide if Sun Titan is good here. You've got a lot of expensive cards in here...
3 months ago
Removed the filter lands for now, will add those if I find that the Guild Karoos are still a nuisance. They have been a nuisance "in combination with" the other tapped lands and colorless lands that I see all too often. If I change those lands first, then maybe the Karoos are actually fine in this list, since they pay you back for coming in tapped AND bouncing another land.
So, in total:
These changes should help the deck work faster to assembling the ultimate toolbox strategy.
5 months ago
@Hexaflexagon Thanks :) Yeah, I want to add those. My plan is to get Windswept Heath first, because I can just swap out basic Forests for them. Then after that to get Temple Gardens, and with them the Sunpetal Groves, removing Canopy Vista. The Grove is cheap, but it's a bit of a nonbo with Canopy Vista, because they're extra nonbasic lands that make Vista come in untapped (even if playing a vista first makes Sunpetal come untapped, but by then it's turn 4 already anyway).
One thing I've been wondering is, once I've got a full playset of Windswept Heath and Temple Garden and Sunpetal Grove, if there are any other nonbasics I should look into. Horizon Canopy would obviously be great but it's just waaaay over my budget. But maybe something like manlands or bringing back Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree. Do you have any suggestions on that front?
I'm not a big fan of the Dryad because it's a five mana card that dies to anything, even Shock, and with the amount of removal I'm up against, I'd usually want something a little more sturdy by that point in the game. It almost never survives a full turn against most decks. (which's a huge shame, because when it came out I was so excited for the cheaper Verdant Force + buff thing).
7 months ago
Intangible Virtue (no seriously, why are you not already playing this?)
Sporecrown Thallid (when it becomes legal)
Sarpadian Empires, Vol. VII
Slimefoot, the Stowaway (when it becomes legal)
Sprout Swarm (lets you pump out saprolings at a steady pace after you've been boardwiped)
Supply/Demand (ALL THE TOKENS! Even more hilarious with Cryptolith Rite)
Thelonite Hermit (only if you have room)
Scatter the Seeds
Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
Gavony Township (probably your strongest option for buffing your team)
Glare of Subdual ("Hahaha fuck your attack phase!" is what you get to tell each of your opponents playing aggro or Affinity decks)
I have to agree about Paradox Haze. The card is good, but not in this deck. You aren't doing anything particularly broken with it, other than getting spore counters. It's not like you're using it to abuse Aether Hub. Playing white would be far better as you'd get access to more saproling generators, anthems, and so on.
You also need better removal. I like that you're playing Go for the Throat. Path to Exile and Fatal Push are going to be the bee's knees. Victim of Night, Abrupt Decay, and Tragic Slip are other options.
I like the idea of using the proliferate mechanic to get those spore counters going, but Grim Affliction is rather "meh." Tezzeret's Gambit is about the only other viable option, regardless of whether you decide to play blue. Contagion Clasp is also rather "meh" in Modern.
Keep in mind, you're basically a G/B/x Tokens deck that relies on creatures instead of instants/sorceries to generate tokens. You have a lot of the same weaknesses but less of the strengths of a conventional token deck. Seriously consider checking MtG Goldfish or MtG Top 8 token decks to be sure you're not just playing a worse version of those decks.
9 months ago
Hey, if $250 total budget then you're already way over budget because Land Tax is a $25 card and Concordant Crossroads is a $15 card both are currently not being counted in the total of the deck. Even if have a low budget you can still play a bunch of the Selesyna dual lands. The manabase here is really bad, 36 Basic lands? Cutting 10-11 Basic lands will not hurt the manabase or Land Tax's ability, there's still plenty of Basic lands. You're not going to draw Land Tax every game and in games you don't draw it having duals will help to play spells.
Consider these lands:
- Command Tower: Commander staple for $1
- Canopy Vista: works well with Basic lands
- Selesnya Sanctuary: works well with Basic lands
- Fortified Village: works well with Basic lands
- Sunpetal Grove: works well with Basic lands
- Temple of Plenty
- Stirring Wildwood
- Blossoming Sands
- Graypelt Refuge
- Grove of the Guardian: create an 8/8 token that can then be populated
- Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree: repeatable token maker on a land
Also consider these cards:
- Imperious Perfect: repeatable Elf token maker and lord for Elf tokens
- Mentor of the Meek: can be a draw engine with Rhys tokens, four mana create a token and draw a card. Very good with populate
- Rampaging Baloths: good finisher because of trample, creates 4/4 Beast tokens by playing lands
- Mirror Entity: make all tokens huge power and toughness for a turn, is an Elf
- Hornet Queen: flying deathtouch bees are very scary for your opponents especially when you start populating them
- Swords to Plowshares: Commander staple white removal spell
- Beast Within: Commander staple green removal spell
- Sundering Growth: one of the better populate spells
- Rootborn Defenses: one of the better populate spells, protect token army from board wipe or removal
- Advent of the Wurm: a 5/5 token with trample is very good with populate
- Epic Struggle: win the game by creating and populating tokens
- Oblivion Ring: Commander staple white removal
Good luck with your deck.