|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Uncommon|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Common|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Common|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Common|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Common|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Common|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Common|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Red Elemental Blast
Choose one - Counter target blue spell; or destroy target blue permanent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (5)||Supremespeed , BlueMageBrandon , dplerner , ToolmasterOfBrainerd , abby315|
Red Elemental Blast Discussion
2 days ago
1 week ago
As always, holler at me if you have any questions or anything! Also, you are more than welcome to take a look at my Mizzix build for anything I might have missed mentioning, but I have to admit that it is definitely not budget friendly...haha.
Keep me updated on here!
1 week ago
Finally got a chance to sit down and edit the decklist. I removed Izzet Boilerworks, Call the Skybreaker, Inexorable Tide, Syncopate, and Clash of Wills. Tezzeret's Gambit, Diminishing Returns, Fuel for the Cause, and Mystic Remora were put in. I see what you mean about the X counterspells, but having a few to generate experience counters are nice. If the deck runs correctly, Master the Way should be dealing an absurd amount of damage as long as I'm not top decking. Ravaging Blaze is just good budgeted spot removal and burn. Spelltwine happens to be super versatile when it comes to my graveyard, and there is going to be at least 1 good sorcery and instant in 3 other plays graveyards. I'm on the fence on Wild Ricochet as I see what you are saying.
1 week ago
"Consistency and redundancy in a very powerful way" - that's definitely on display here, for sure. Some of the consistency cards I dislike? (e.g., Thorn of Amethyst is great in this deck, but it can be moderately unfun at times; and Mana Crypt has always felt very pay-to-win to me, so I generally avoid it).
Generally I was glad to see our creature-base mostly matches up. I feel like I'm doing something right there.
Most of the other cards you run that I do not are cards I probably should be running. The Wheels, Necropotence, and Reanimate look like great ways to get back in the game if the early riot doesn't go as planned. I wanted to build my deck with all my chips on the turn five riot; so I opted against those late-game recovery cards in favor of more 3-mana riot-starters. Now that the deck is moderately famous in my playgroup, the predictability of always rioting on turn 5 is turning into a big problem for me, so I may have to change things up. :/
I also really like the idea of using a spell (like Exsanguinate or Flame Rift) to start a massive pre-combat Riot, and having Urabrask or Mass Hysteria give my rioters haste, and surprise attacking with a hand full of eldrazi outta nowhere. Never worked out all that well for me, though; my deck doesn't have the tutor/draw potential to bring it all together, so I mostly gave up on that plan and took the spell damage out (for more creatures!). I feel like it probably works a lot better in your deck, and I imagine it's a lot of fun when it happens. Does it happen often?
Thanks for the reply! Viva la Mr. Rakdos!
(P.S. I was really excited to see Pyroblast. It's one of my favorite red cards, and Cyc Rift is objectively stupid, so. Good call there. I run it, and Red Elemental Blast, and Burnout in my other Rakdos deck: Rakdos hates you, and so do I.)
2 weeks ago
Comparing this list to mine has got me thinking about quite a few things.
-All the fetch lands that work on mountains
-Moggcatcher (I know others have suggested this card, but Im not sure what you think about it)
What Id (maybe) cut:
-Reckless Bushwhacker Ive never had any luck with it.
-Magus of the Wheel is super good but it usually takes a turn to set up and then it still costs mana to use. However, I think its probably still better than Memory Jar. Of course, both of these are probably worth running. Im just a little salty cause all I have atm is Reforge the Soul.
-I think your artifact package should probably be cut. Due to artifacts being all over cEDH, Goblin Welder is really strong even without the other artifacts you have, but I dont see Daretti, Scrap Savant being useful for how slow he is.
What do you think about all this? Obviously some of my suggestions shouldnt go in your list and some of my cuts shouldnt be made, but Id love to know your thoughts regardless. Thanks for your thoughts!
2 weeks ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
2 weeks ago
Typically early game for decks like this is a bunch of card draw and control. Having enough counter magic and using it to stop threats that will end the game or put you at such a disadvantage that you can't return from.
The card drawing is for you to add XP counters on Mizzix and draw into your win cons or combos (if you decide to run any).
Some staple cards under $5 (that you still don't have to include, but are just good) are: Show
But again, these are not cards that you have to include! If you put half of them, all of them, or none of them into the deck it will be fine! Some of these are dependent on your play group (like Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast requiring a blue player in your group), but hopefully some of these you can find useful!