|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Uncommon|
|Fourth Edition (4ED)||Common|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Common|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Common|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Common|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Common|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Common|
|Limited Edition Alpha (LEA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Red Elemental Blast
Choose one - Counter target blue spell; or destroy target blue permanent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||PhotogenicParasympathetic , Supremespeed , BlueMageBrandon , dplerner , the.beanpole , abby315 , ToolmasterOfBrainerd|
Red Elemental Blast Discussion
17 hours ago
2 days ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake
4 days ago
No lands... and 56 cards...
4 days ago
I like your thinking! Would you also run Red Elemental Blast?
1 week ago
Seething Song is already in my list; not sure why it isn't on here. I won't have more than one red ritual in the deck, I don't think, but I may replace Seething Song with one of the 2 cmc ones to help with Firemind's Foresight. Overwhelming Denial actually doesn't work well as a replacement for Counterflux, since Counterflux is in there to get rid of messy stacks, not to be uncounterable. I definitely should add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast; I have them sitting around somewhere, I think.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Hey buddy, here are some tips I would suggest in order to make your deck more competitive. Unfortunately voltron is not the strongest right now, but that doesn't mean you can't give your sexy lady Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas everything that she deserves.
Lands:Things like Boros Garrison that come into play tapped need to go, unless they are part of a winning combo, and even then that is sketchy. Add Sacred Foundry to your mana pool for essentially another Plateau. Also, add more fetchlands to fix your mana. Fetchlands also have a benefit of thinning out your deck so you have a better chance of getting to what you want. Ancient Tomb is also a great land for you. So is Inventors' Fair!
Artifacts:You are missing the essential artifact ramp package of Chrome Mox, maybe Lotus Petal, Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, Mox Diamond, and for your deck even Mox Opal due to your amount of artifacts. You could even add the 2 artifact lands to help with metalcraft. Lotus Petal is a person call, but I could see you going without. If you need more ramp then maybe ones like Mind Stone or Prismatic Lens. Howling Mine gives a benefit to all of your opponents as well, so I would suggest cutting that. Any mana ramp that comes into play tapped should probably be cut. In addition, since your deck is slower than many other decks and require combat steps, I would recommend adding artifact stax pieces to slow people down. Ideally you want pieces that hurt your opponents more than they hurt you. Things like Winter Orb after you play your commander. That way your opponents have less resources to deal with your stuff. I would recommend checking out competitive decks to see what stax pieces they use and seeing which ones would work best for you.
Creatures:You have a lot of expensive creatures that don't completely go with your wincon with your commander. I would also straight up remove Skyknight Legionnaire. I would definitely add Stoneforge Mystic to have another tutor and a way to flash in artifacts. I would also recommend using stax creatures to hurt your opponents. Maybe something like Ethersworn Canonist since you play lots of artifacts. I believe there are other white creatures that tutor up artifacts, you should check them out. If you want to add creatures that can you can equip things to besides your commander, maybe look at things like Kemba, Kha Regent or Monastery Mentor. You can also rock the awesome Recruiter of the Guard. Also, have you met your future friend Magus of the Moon?
Enchantments:You have lots of stax pieces here which I think is good. I would recommend adding more with things like Stony Silence. I'm not sure how well Ghostly Prison works with your deck, so if you need to cut things it should also be one of the things to go. And probably most importantly, hello Blood Moon!
Instants/Sorceries:Faithless Looting should be an instant add. I would also say Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast should be for sure additions. They can counter counterspells and destroy blue permanents. If you want wheel effects then good old Wheel of Fortune should be added. Red has access to some okay draw effects through cards like Tormenting Voice that can help you go through your deck. Sensei's Divining Top might not be a bad card for you either. You also have a tons of board wipes. Yes, having one or two can be nice, but not that many. Rolling Earthquake is really solid, and if you want Wrath of God isn't bad either, but after that more spot removal is probably best.
Overall Recommendations:I would recommend dropping your overall cmc with cheaper costed cards that help you win with your primary wincon, Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas, more efficiently. Stax pieces could help you out a lot with slowing others down too. Adding something like Isochron Scepter + Final Fortune + Sundial of the Infinite is a relatively cheap way for you to get infinite turns and to pull out a win. I would also recommend more draw spells, they can help you go through your deck to the good stuff more efficiently. Once you drop the cmc of the deck you should cut lands, I wouldn't go over 32 with the ramp you will have.
2 weeks ago
Glengarry, this is way outside the box which makes it intriguing. Is this designed for multiplayer? How has it performed?
Roastbeast, you already asked this question. I wanted to come at it in a slightly different direction.
Typical Markov decks struggle with board wipes. Teferi's Protection, Boros Charm, Eldrazi Monument, Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Sangromancer, Blood Artist plus Yahenni, Undying Partisan, Falkenrath Aristocrat and other creatures that can gain industructable are some of anti-board wipe tech that is used.
The second strategy is to utilize card draw/grave yard recursion. You are playing Necropotence and Phyrexian Reclamation. Dark Prophecy, Phyrexian Arena, Greed, Herald’s Horn, Victimize and Heirloom Blade are popular. Does a board wipe typically knock you out of the game? How do you recover?
Have you experienced issues with prison effects? I ask because you are playing Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast. Are they there to deal with problematic blue permanents such as Propaganda? This deck plays so low to the ground I can not see the benefit of countering most of your spells. Edgar Markov (but no Cavern of Souls), Shared Animosity (auto counter),and Boros Charm seem to be main targets for counterspells.