Xenagos, the Reveler
+1: Add X mana in any combination of and/or to your mana pool, where X is the number of creatures you control.
0: Put a 2/2 red and green Satyr creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
-6: Exile the top seven cards of your library. You may put any number of creature and/or land cards from among them onto the battlefield.
|Want (5)||Abel8658 , baeda735 , StillStorming , jgw61692 , spidey99|
Printings View all
|Theros (THS)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Xenagos, the Reveler occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
Xenagos, the Reveler Discussion
2 weeks ago
Some things here are in and out for testing. Overall I am very much enjoying the deck, and working on acquiring the cards in the art that I like a little at a time. I'll go over the latest testing/impressions below.
- Evolutionary Leap : I have replaced Leap with Vraska, Golgari Queen . I got tired of bottoming things like Dictate of Erebos or any of the other 34 non-creature cards. My creatures are all powerful, granted, but passing over my key enchantments is very much a no-go. I have yet to play her, but I am hopeful.
- Xenagos, the Reveler : absolutely earned his place. The rate with which he lets me turn land-light board states into multi-action haymakers is unreal.
- Mana base: I'm trying to rework this again, I find it incredibly painful and while that is largely OK for the 1v1s that I commonly run, I'm not sure if that's ideal for the true multiplayer environment. I have added Yavimaya Hollow for the regen effect, and still want to find a home for Phyrexian Tower . My priority is still ETB untapped lands, so it will probably remain painful. Just want to go over it again, is all. Probably adding all of the applicable fetches and shocks, and then basics instead of the odd check lands? Not sure yet. I know the quantity is right, though.
- The Death Priest is bonkers. I already had him in the win-con field but twice he came out in testing yesterday and was absolutely nuts. Its even better with Reyhan out, of course, but even on his own he ramps up any sac outlets really, really fast.
- The deck doesn't feel like it has a nut-draw, exactly. It can come from so many different angles, and can function on hands that are literally all lands, thanks to my 2-card hand in the command zone. I've had games that were straight aggro, drawing nothing but beating down with Reyhan and Tana until I did draw into something good. I tend to prefer the non-combat win-cons, as its super annoying to stack up a dude and get your creatures tapped down or bounced. Purph and a big Tana is my single favorite win-con if I have to do it via combat damage.
- My curve feels pretty nice. Yeah, sometimes I draw all my 6-drops but most of the time I don't have a problem with curving out into something unmanageable.
I'm getting to the point where I'm seeing fewer things that need to come in and out for testing, and I think its largely going to be waiting on new sets to really drop bombs if I don't take the deck a different direction, which I don't think I want to. I really like its toolbox. Wouldn't mind a proper tutor instead of Diabolic Intent , but I don't want to be more oppressive than this can already be and that is on flavor and synergistic with the rest of the deck.
3 weeks ago
So we all know Bolas was defeated and is currently trapped within his meditation realm, but what are the odds he had/has influence over at least some of the gods of Theros? With spoilers trickling in every day, some of the artwork for nee cards has got the gears in my head spinning.
Look at the artwork for Heliod, Sun-Crowned . His crown is clearly a depiction of Nicol Bolas's horns. Then there's the art for Blood Aspirant (name translated from the German spoiler), another clear depiction of Bolas's horns.
These two pieces of art had me curious enough to start looking back at other cards from the original Theros block. This one might be a stretch, but Xenagos, the Reveler has two sets of horns; the middle two resembling Bolas's.
And while we're on the Topic of cards from previous sets, there's Ashiok, Dream Render , who is depicted in Bolas's meditation realm with the massive Bolas horns behind him (before they were changed to resemble Ugin's horns after Bolas's imprisonment).
Is Ashiok another agent of Bolas? Back in the original Theros block, Ashiok made a deal with Phenax, the God of Deception. We, the audience, were never actually told what Ashiok requested from Phenax. All we know is that it made Phenax let out a horrible laugh and agree to Ashiok's wish. Phenax described Ashiok as having "so many /grand/ tricks" with emphasis being put on the word grand. Is it possible that now Phenax is also working under Bolas? It wouldn't be surprising considering Bolas's obsession with gods. Theros seems like a prime world for the evil mastermind to take advantage of.
I think it's very possible we may see Bolas return sooner rather than later. What do you think? Am I looking too far into this? Feel free to share your thoughts!
3 weeks ago
I think that new Satyr Commander is a solid one for Gruul. Let's be honest, Gruul wants to attack, and card advantage is everything. So drawing cards for attacking? Sign me up for that shit.
To get around the whole "at random" bit, just pick cards that can be interacted with in the graveyard. Flashback, Madness, you got Heaven / Earth , Mouth / Feed , Insult / Injury , Struggle / Survive , etc. And with Crucible of Worlds , Ramunap Excavator & Wrenn and Six you can get your lands back. She also helps produce an anthem effect if you'd like to use Xenagos, the Reveler .
I don't think I'd recommend Dredge, but I mean it is technically an option.
So it seems like a really fun chaos deck. Lots of wild interactions and unexpected plays, if that's your sort of thing.
In fact, if building a chaos deck is your goal, this would actually be one Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded would work well in.
3 weeks ago
I would put a LOT more creatures. In my opinion, you are running WAY to many useless enchantments or artifacts like Hardened Scales which doesn't really do much, and Gift of Immortality which has little to no utility in the deck. With only 23 creatures, I just don't see you getting much value out of your commanders trigger. I also don't really like Feed the Pack , but that's just personal preference
Other cutables could include Xenagos, the Reveler as he really only ramps, and since you already have so much ramp, he feels like filler. Swap Bow of Nylea with a creature, because giving you already massive creatures deathtouch pales in comparison to another beefy creature like Ghalta, Primal Hunger or Zacama, Primal Calamity , however she is very expensive. Otherwise, I love this brew and it has a lot of potential
1 month ago
Xenagos, the Reveler has also been added to the deck.
2 months ago
I don't get out to play frequently, kindof more like my obligatory husband poker night 1-2x/month. But when I do get out I tend to play alot of unusual political decks for a LONG span of time. Last times all-stars were Bedlam , Xenagos, the Reveler - for his ability to put instant pressure on other planeswalkers after creature sweeps, Ohran Frostfang -averaging 3-4 cards per attack, Thieves' Auction - redistributed resources from 1 player gone overboard to everyone (without that boring reset), and Selvala's Stampede , because to a certain extent it worked like an extra turns card for me.
2 months ago
Thanks everyone for the fast replies. I guess I was just confused because I play with Sunbird's Invocation and other top-deck sort of effects such as Xenagos, the Reveler and See the Unwritten . But I can understand how each of these are not exactly able to be compared to AM, as AM does require more input.
Sunbird is great in my deck because I run a high average CMC (4.45) and so casting a 6-drop usually means I'll have another 5-drop or 6-drop behind it.
Xenagos is easy to pull off if you set him up right, though I've had times where he completely faulters out. You need him almost exclusively in a Zoo-Stompy deck to function at 100%.
Guess I'm too set in the ways of Gruul to have considered how this kind of an effect might function outside of it. Lol.
3 months ago
Well this wknds bulk playtest with Marisi showed some allstars. Gingerbrute was hilariously effective. Selvala's Stampede was unsurprisingly strong (just generically good). Sunforger of all things totally locked a game down in my favor. I wasn't seeing any need for mass-creature wipes to be honest, so I second not loving the Sunny Elspeth - the thing about this is that, in my meta, everyone else will be more desperate than me to get rid of all creatures, I prefer to use them as a resource: (I can just let my opponents do the sweeping for me & goad until someone is forced to wipe) the wipes that REALLY shined for me were the mass enchantment/artifact hate. I do LOVE your Elspeth, Knight-Errant suggestion, I now agree that it should windmill slap into my version of Marisi. Evasion + power & fast sweeper recovery or just an extra body are really nice to have on one walker. Actually will probably include Xenagos, the Reveler for some of those same reasons.