Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Legendary Creature — Merfolk Rogue
Whenever Thada Adel, Acquisitor deals combat damage to a player, search that player's library for an artifact card and exile it. Then that player shuffles his or her library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Thada Adel, Acquisitor Discussion
1 day ago
Alright, I gave the deck a look through. I think I understand what you want to do with it, but I also think that you're trying to play Rafiq in an inefficient manner. Based on my interpretation, he isn't meant to be played in a way that prevents other players from doing things. He should be played in a way that prevents other players from doing anything to your board.
With that in mind, I think the best course of action would be to go full voltron. Of course, I have a bias towards aggro and voltron strategies in general, but you have a surprising number of options available to make this a great aggro deck, and there are multiple forms of protection available in Bant aside from just counterspells.
Something you're completely ignoring is the Exalted keyword. Exalted is a triggered ability, so each instance of Exalted stacks. You mentioned to me that you didn't want to necessarily rely on enchantments and artifacts to pump Rafiq. Fortunately, you don't. You just want to retool your creatures a bit so that you get more Exalted triggers, and find some other utility creatures that offer protection.
Any card suggestions I make in this post are going to sway the deck in favor of this strategy, which I understand is against your original vision of a control deck. Also, this does make it play like every other Rafiq deck. But, in my opinion, this deck (in its current state) looks like a bunch of cards put together with no real strategy in mind. Almost all of your control elements would be better off in the Grand Arbiter Augustin IV deck, or would be better suited for Derevi, Empyrial Tactician.
Some items to consider: you are only running 1 board wipe. I would at least consider having 3 in any EDH deck. Also, your mana base (33 lands, 5 dorks, 4 rocks) seems low overall. Since you have limited options to ramp for lands outside of playing multiple lands a turn (which is based on the number of lands in hand), and with how easily removed creatures are, I don't think you'll have enough mana to do things when you really want to. You are also only running 2 targeted removal spells, and they are for creatures. You have no way of dealing with artifacts or enchantments on the board, and you're playing with at least two colors that are good with dealing with those kinds of permanents. There also seems to be a curious amount of creature-searching, but none of the creatures you have seem game-changing enough to where I see a reason to search for creatures. I mean, sure, Linvala, Keeper of Silence can ruin someone's day, but there should be more than 1-3 creatures worth searching for.
SUGGESTED CARD REMOVALS AND SWAP
- Remove Academy Ruins: This one is a questionable removal since there is a benefit to it being there, but maybe not a large enough one in the deck's current state.
- Swap Ancient Tomb with Cathedral of War. You want that Exalted trigger more than losing two life for two colorless.
- Swap Buried Ruin for Rogue's Passage : Again, a questionable removal that is based on what dank artifacts you have in your graveyard, but Rogue's Passage helps you get in with Rafiq.
- Remove Dryad Arbor: Likely used to combo with your creature-searching spells, but I don't think you have enough stuff worth searching for. Maybe just swap for a Seaside Citadel for access to more colors? One tapped land won't kill you.
- Swap Jace, the Mind Sculptor for Elspeth, Knight-Errant. This Elspeth makes Rafiq a pain to deal with, and provides a good target for other players who don't want your shit to be indestructible.
- Swap Tamiyo, Field Researcher for Ajani, Mentor of Heroes. Not as good as Elspeth, but still makes Rafiq a boss.
- Remove Academy Rector
- Remove Aven Mindcensor
- Remove Containment Priest
- Remove Edric, Spymaster of Trest
- Remove Gaddock Teeg
- Remove Gilded Drake
- Remove Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
- Remove Hokori, Dust Drinker
- Remove Linvala, Keeper of Silence
- Remove Snapcaster Mage: Works in spellslinging decks. Not so much in decks more focused on permanents.
- Remove Temur Sabertooth: This is a questionable removal, since I can see why its in the deck.
- Remove Thada Adel, Acquisitor
- Remove Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
- Remove Eldritch Evolution
- Remove Green Sun's Zenith
- Remove Temporal Manipulation
- Remove Temporal Mastery
- Remove Time Spiral
- Remove Time Warp
- Remove Aura of Silence
- Remove Exploration
- Remove Living Plane
- Remove Survival of the Fittest
- Remove Chord of Calling
- Remove Crop Rotation
- Remove Eladamri's Call
- Remove Force of Will
- Remove Mana Drain
- Remove Noxious Revival
- Remove Pact of Negation
- Remove Skullclamp: Most of your 1 toughness creatures are your mana dorks. Do you want to sacriface a mana source for two cards that you may not be able to play?
CARDS TO CONSIDER (largely based on EDHrec)
- Sublime Archangel
- Sovereigns of Lost Alara
- Sigarda's Aid
- Steel of the Godhead
- Giltspire Avenger
- Open the Armory
- Shield of the Oversoul
- Battlegrace Angel
- Stoic Angel
- Supreme Verdict
- Bant Charm
- Various Exalted creatures of your choice
- Silent Arbiter
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Grand Abolisher
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Sigarda, Heron's Grace
- Dauntless Escort
- Sylvan Reclamation
- Krosan Grip
- Beast Within
- Return to Dust
- Simic Charm, Selesnya Charm
- Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Farseek, Rampant Growth
- Ponder, Preordain, Serum Visions
- Wrath of God, Day of Judgment
- Loxodon Warhammer
- Behemoth Sledge
- Darksteel Ingot
- Hero's Blade
- Sword of Vengeance
- Commander's Sphere
- Eldrazi Conscription
- Mirari's Wake
- Armadillo Cloak
- Ardent Plea
- Angelic Benediction
- Dueling Grounds
- Bear Umbra
- Aqueous Form
- Unflinching Courage
- Hindering Light
- Valorous Stance
- Bident of Thassa
- Heroic Intervention
- Rogue's Gloves
- Grafted Exoskeleton
4 days ago
I'm not sure what you would cut, but these may have a place:
Induce Paranoia for counter + mill
Psychic Drain in case you need life
Thada Adel, Acquisitor is great in opening hands for stealing mana rocks. Late game she's not so hot
Altar of the Brood for obvious reasons
Pilfered Plans if you need more draw power
6 days ago
6 days ago
I must say, a pirate and her crew need a ship to navigate with. While Pirate Ship isn't the greatest card it is very thematic, if you don't like that card maybe Skyship Weatherlight, the ship Hanna actually was navigator for in the lore, would work!
Finally Spreading Seas is a very annoying card allowing you take a powerful land you opponent controls and turn it into a basic island, or use it to allow islandwalk on some of your creatures, and what pirate wouldn't want more water to sail on?
1 week ago
Rhystic Study, Mystic Remora, Curiosity, Thought Vessel, possibly Spellbook, Whelming Wave, Coastal Piracy, Archetype of Imagination, Swan Song, Pongify, Sky Diamond, Thran Dynamo, Dissipate, Disallow, Fellwar Stone, Dig Through Time, Treasure Cruise, Stroke of Genius, Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Commander's Sphere, Solemn Simulacrum, Shadow Rift, Boompile or Nevinyrral's Disk, Broodbirth Viper, Riptide Entrancer,
2 weeks ago
Steal Enchantment would fit the theme, excellent for taking gods or big expensive world enchantments.
1 month ago
My Derevi deck focuses on abusing her ability with creatures that have tap abilities. A few options are Kazandu Tuskcaller, Beguiler of Wills, Arcanis the Omnipotent, Captain Sisay. Then you'll also want some useful creatures with evasion to help trigger Derevi, like Trygon Predator and Thada Adel, Acquisitor. And since you'll hopefully be connecting with a couple small creatures each turn, Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Bident of Thassa help keep your hand full.
1 month ago
I ended up dropping Burnished Hart, which requires a lot of mana just to ramp by two, for Thada Adel, Acquisitor, which can steal all the Sol Rings! So that should fix all my problems related to ramp while also giving me more Aikido!