|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Mind vs. Might (DDS)||Rare|
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Jori En, Ruin Diver
Legendary Creature — Merfolk Wizard
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (45)||Dr.Jackel , YossarianLives , TrackerD , voidruby , Nemesis , TehDelta , Snydog17 , Atroxreaper , Grantley91 , thetechzombie , KB2187 , darthnuchi , ecurps , Caldazar , Mousemke , jstn.mrrtt , Skydra2 , Wolfebladeelite , bakeraj4 , gildan_bladeborn , rockleemyhero , Boza , Axtel , Reliva , Tyrantsblood , , duff87 , chrishuffman95 , Fineontheoutside , MattN7498 , mziter501 , Thunderbeard , itheoryz , golgarigirl , Bluboltar , miracle , BLEATH , saj0219 , TheRealSpecialK , Regulus1010 , NobleSlay3r , snackeater , DudeMan1031 , mcstang1986 , silvereh|
|Want (11)||lorddarkstar , Famicomania , SlickWizard , GS10 , Blue_Otaku_No.1 , waste , drubacka , MenacingSailboat , GoodestBoi , fluffybunny35 , vashaclarens|
Jori En, Ruin Diver Discussion
5 days ago
2 weeks ago
Here are my personal recommendations (with help from n8dm) for cards to add and cut from the deck. Let me know if you have any questions about cuts or recommendations.
Let's start with permanents:
Now for instants and sorceries:
Now to recommend some cards to cut:
1 month ago
This is an AMAZING deck! Basically an annoying control deck for commander is what would make me rage just a little bit lol! I think maybe a card you could add is Jori En, Ruin Diver. I would give more comments but I am not a fan of blue/red TBH.
1 month ago
Fiendslayer Paladin is definitely the weaker of the two cards (except with respect to the art — that art is awesome), so I agree with you fully on that point.
Helm of the Host has a few cute interactions here but you’re right that it’s a massive mana hog. It’s pretty neat with Scourge of Valkas and somewhat so, too, with Adriana, Captain of the Guard and Utvara Hellkite, but those interactions are so absurdly mana intensive that when we discuss them we are treading into the realm of 360 no-scoping and have ceased to discuss practical, viable Magic play. If this were an Aurelia, the Warleader deck, then yes, it’d be a viable wincon in its own right, but it’s not an “I win” piece here. It’s just a slow, cute card that’ll likely be shut down before doing anything broken. So yeah, probably more practical to go with the extra gas route. Less likely to lose if I keep drawing cards to play rather than relying on Helm of the Host exclusively to carry me if I draw it (not to mention it’s simply a dead card sometimes).
Yeah, big daddy Rakdos is such a fun deck. Competitive? Nope. Fun? Oh yeah. It’s just a blast going crazy and running so many ridiculously swingy effects. Check my list if you feel so inclined. You’ve been a big help for this list, I’m sure you’ll have good ideas for that one. I basically only run four Commander decks these days due to limits on funds and free time — Jori En, Ruin Diver, Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero, Rakdos the Defiler, and this one here. I actually don’t hate Green, I just haven’t got a deck with that color for some reason these days. Maybe I’ll do a Ghalta, Primal Hunger stompy/Green devotion list one of these days.
2 months ago
defwalter_white, the Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots are in the deck to protect Jhoira of the Ghitu, since she's a target as soon as she hits the field. I guess it'd help if I threw a Laboratory Maniac in the fray to assist with the Enter the Infinite card. I figured that if I have my entire library in my hand, that I'd be able to come up with something to close the game out before I drew my final card. Hasn't come up in a game yet.
I try to avoid tutoring in many of my decks. Tutoring removes a lot of the variety, and with it, some of the challenge of piloting a deck. I mean, I could throw the ol' Isochron Scepter and Mystical Tutor combo in there and tutor up every spell I could want, but that kills a lot of the variability of the deck.
As for the Eldrazi, not sure if you just missed them or what, but they are definitely in the deck. I've got all of the good legendary ones in there, and a fair amount of non-legendary ones too. I think the only legendary one I'm missing is Emrakul, the Promised End, and that's because she sucks.
Mystic Remora and Rhystic Study are indeed great for card draw, but don't really fit in the theme of the deck. I've got Arcanis the Omnipotent, Jori En, Ruin Diver, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, and Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius included in the deck for card draw purposes.
Thanks a bunch for all of the suggestions! You've certainly given me plenty to consider and think about!
2 months ago
If you want consistency, you will need card filtering, which means either going for blue cantrips like Serum Visions, Sleight of Hand ...etc. or for red looting effects like Faithless Looting.
If you want to abuse black "you lose the game" enchantments, i think it would be better to play white flicker effects. If you run Ad Nauseam, then (despite neither of us liking it), Lightning Storm is miles ahead of Zombie Infestation. What i am trying to say is that these two plans are not necessarily best suited to be played in the same deck. (there are more very painful, black enchantments to be abused, beside Demonic Pact, like Bitterblossom, Phyrexian Etchings ...etc. - or even Null Profusion for the completely mental players)
Like the previous poster mentioned Death's Shadow is a card that has great potential for builds like this, and i would add, that cards like Fling & Rite of Consumption are madly strong with it.
They often mean game if the opponent tries to race you, as they can act as walls, or just go to face if painful manabases, or bob put them in range of the 13 dmg bolt.
For some reason - probably thanks to lorwyn block art - i have a very visceral disgust of merfolk (which got reduced a lot in ixalan)...
If you are thinking about playing red, then pairing up Spreading Seas with Blood Moon seems like a strategy that in itself is often enough to win, not to mention, that you would get access to one of if not the best merfolk of all time Jori En, Ruin Diver, which can be pretty crazy, but you would likely have to give up the vial plan, in favour of cantrips, and cheap stuff in general. (+ Lightning Bolt aka. shit removal spell, that has a great failure mode, going to the face)
Imho, i don't think green merfolk is anything special, it trades if vulnerability to Choke, for being hit by Blood Moon, and the green creatures it gains are often not helping the "play all the lords & islandwalk for the win" strategy that the deck want to play, not to tmenion that playing Phantasmal Image as the X-th lord offers the option to copy value cards that are run by goodstuff decks (Dark Confidant for example).
Beside the general black packages, like targeted discard, draw for life, and destroy effect, there is not much reason to go black - Sygg, River Cutthroat exists, but he is more of a rogue tribal card, a merfolk.
SCORE: 18 | 6 COMMENTS | 3017 VIEWS | IN 10 FOLDERS
I am looking for criticism of my deck (that goes beyond, stating the obvious difference from the standard RB hollow one lists), i would be even more happy if i could be hit by constructive ciritcism, and suggestions, but i will be happy with what i can get
2 months ago
2 months ago
All right, finally got the chance to take a proper look at this. Let's start with additions:
- Spelljack. Mentioned this on Reddit, but I love this card.
- Cultivate. EDH staple, should be in 95% of green decks. Nothing more to say.
- Eternal Witness. Same as above.
- Sunbird's Invocation. This card leads to insane value swings. It's fantastic.
- Beast Within. Flexible, instant-speed removal in colors that usually lack it.
- Chaos Warp. Same as above.
- Etali, Primal Storm. This card is balanced by not having haste. Wanderer changes that.
- Pathbreaker Ibex. I have one-shotted several opponents with this, Xenagos, God of Revels, and Wanderer. Do not underestimate.
- Xenagos, God of Revels. 14/12 trample haste Wanderer is insane.
- Skyshroud Claim. One of my personal favorite ramp spells. Also fetches shocklands and battlelands (like Cinder Glade).
- Avenger of Zendikar. Wins games by itself.
- Simic Signet, Izzet Signet, and Gruul Signet. Some of the best ramp in EDH in a deck that really wants ramp. Slam dunk.
- Mystical Tutor. Sets up Wanderer really well.
- Temporal Mastery. Bonkers with Wanderer and tutoring it to top of library.
- Mind's Dilation. This card gives tons of value if not immediately dealt with.
All right, on to cuts:
- Archetype of Aggression. 3 mana 3/2s aren't great, and most of your stuff has trample anyways. Nice with Wanderer, but hurts to cascade into.
- Coiling Oracle. Not a bad card by any means, but I really don't want to cascade into this.
- Elvish Lyrist. Way too slow. Run Unravel the Aether if you really need this effect.
- Jori En, Ruin Diver. I like my card draw spells to be a little flashier than this in Wanderer.
- Siren Stormtamer. I mentioned this on Reddit, but 1 mana 1/1s are really not where you want to be in Wanderer, and I don't think this does what you want it to anyways.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar. Lifegain is nice, but there are better things to do with 7 mana.
- Displace. I'm not seeing a ton of ETB effects to abuse here.
- High Tide. Not great in a 3-color non-combo deck.
- Steam Augury. Strictly worse Fact or Fiction. Meh.
- Unsummon. Not nearly good enough for EDH play. Card disadvantage and allowing re-use of ETB effects seems bad.
- Panharmonicon. Still don't think you have enough ETB effects to abuse.
- Attune with Aether. Not actual ramp; not worth 1 mana.
- Invigorating Falls. I really don't like cards that do nothing but gain life.
I think that's all I can come up with at the moment. Feel free to look at my decklist (Wandering the Eternities) if you'd like other suggestions. Good luck with your deck! I think you'll find it's a ton of fun :)