Will of the council — At the beginning of your upkeep, starting with you, each player votes for carnage or homage. If carnage gets more votes, sacrifice Coercive Portal and destroy all nonland permanents. If homage gets more votes or the vote is tied, draw a card.
|Have (2)||Forkbeard , sonnet666|
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Conspiracy (CNS)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Coercive Portal occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Coercive Portal Discussion
catmaster0 on Rankle
3 weeks ago
I imagine Cabal Stronghold might be up your alley. Lashwrithe is just a fun an efficient beater in black that works with any of your small guys as well. Heck, as a control deck Empowered Autogenerator should keep your high curved sated in time. Mind Sludge seems like reasonably powerful discard power.
Given this is control idk why you wouldn't have draw power such as Phyrexian Arena , or even Underworld Connections , Coercive Portal . Ob Nixilis Reignited even serves those goals with some removal splashed in.
3 months ago
You also don't have any card draw. You do have a good source in the command zone, which, is nice. Unfortunately, Boros colors do draw the worst, so you'll have to rely on some not-so-budget mostly-colorless staples or less-than-efficient engines. The prevailing wisdom is ~8 draw pieces but you'll be lucky to have half that in Boros colors. I personally consider card advantage in the command zone to count as ~2 draw cards due to the accessibility.
Mind's Eye , Staff of Nin , Arch of Orazca , Arcane Encyclopedia , Endless Atlas , Reforge the Soul , Cathartic Reunion , Rogue's Gloves , Infiltration Lens Coercive Portal , Mask of Memory , Trading Post , Conqueror's Galleon Flip, and Well of Lost Dreams are about as good as you can get without going into much more expensive cards or other colors.
Good luck and have fun! I hear Depala is a fun commander.
6 months ago
You're playing enforcer: You need good Enforcer Cards. I'm not sure how often you're using your commander's ability (there seems to be a synergy in Dingus Egg ) which makes me super happy.
Here's some that come to mind (that aren't Cyclonic Rift-priced): Chandra's Ignition Blasphemous Act Slaughter the Strong , Tragic Arrogance and Boompile . The last one I've seen used to great effect similar to Oblivion Stone without having to hold up them mana or Nevinyrral's Disk / Slows the board down (or makes you the enemy, but you're playing Jokulhaups--you're not being nice).
Get rid of the Myr mana generators and put in Talismans ( Talisman of Conviction , Talisman of Creativity , and, if you want to spend a little, Talisman of Progress ). I say this because you're gonna kill creatures a lot with your sweepers. Talismans also have the added benefit of being 2-colored fixing and no summoning sickness. Solemn Simulacrum and Burnished Hart Should replace your other dorks (better value, don't care about sweeps.)
Now, What do Overpowered decks like to do: 1) Abuse triggers: Hushwing Gryff , and Torpor Orb are amazing because you have no ETB triggers on your creatures. 2) Abuse Specific Cards: This is a two parter. First, you can get rid of/hamper combo cards you know of with things like Extract or $ Meddling Mage or Pithing Needle / Sorcerous Spyglass -type effects. OR, you could go after their ability to actively find their answers with Stranglehold , Aven Mindcensor , or Mindlock Orb . The latter choice murders people with search lands... but your deck already does that in spades (Make it hurt worse with Thalia, Heretic Cathar ) 3) Use Crazy Manabases: Ruination , Price of Progress , Blood Moon , Magus of the Moon . Hates yourself pretty good, too, but that's what you wanted? Impending Disaster is a fun play 4) Graveyards: If you can't afford Rest in Peace , The next best things are Grafdigger's Cage and Silent Gravestone are the best IMO.
FINALLY; You need more draw. Budget Wheel of Fortune , Wheel of Fate is good, Windfall is an Auto-include. Mystic Remora is a gamble, but not bad. What I think would be great in this deck is Zedruu the Greathearted . Give away your things that hurt everyone, because It (usually) doesn't matter who controls them. Coercive Portal is also nice in a big game like you're gonna play. Get some voting going!... That was an aside.. and kinda draw, kinda gross.
I hope that helps. If you know some of these folks commanders, I can suggest further Shenanigans
6 months ago
If the former: Border Guard , Soldier of the Pantheon , Unquestioned Authority , Tragic Arrogance , Gauntlet of Power , Warmonger's Chariot , Eternal Dominion , Scorched Earth , and Disdainful Stroke . And maybe some of the 'each player votes' cards like Coercive Portal and Ballot Broker .
If the later, I'll have to ponder some more ... Avacyn, Angel of Hope is the only one that comes immediately to mind.
7 months ago
Chainer's game plan should be something like... Ramp > Control > Reanimate.
Focus on filling and stealing from your opponents' graveyards and protecting Chainer.
Stax: Honestly, I would avoid hard stax. It encourages your opponents to hate you and escalate their power-level.
What this deck really needs is ramp: 38-40 lands and 12-16 cards like Bubbling Muck , Charcoal Diamond , Heartless Summoning , Burnished Hart , Coalition Relic , Revel in Riches , Black Market , Magus of the Coffers , Gauntlet of Power , Nirkana Revenant , etc. Also Phyrexian Tower .
...If you want to lean into stax... here's a list for evil people :)
8 months ago
About those of your suggestions. I have been testing Narset, Parter of Veils by cutting Coercive Portal and she has been amazing and is here to stay but I don't know what is right to cut. I have also been testing Treasure Cruise by cutting Tasigur, the Golden Fang because Karakas has been showing its head.
And now to your maybeboard.
- First is that I would switch Liliana of the Veil because in a controlling deck Liliana, the Last Hope is just amazing because she makes combat unbearable for opponents + she is card advantage and win condition.
- I haven't had good time with Chart a Course and I feel like that it is more tempo card and I would replace it with Gitaxian Probe
- Search for Azcanta Flip is just too good not to play. I would cut Ashiok, Dream Render because I tested her in 2 tournaments and I drew her 8 times and never wanted to play her even on to empty field.
- I would change Liliana's Triumph to Collective Brutality because there aren't many creatures that you need to kill with sacrifice (True name, Mirran Crusader are the biggest)
- For some reason I have had hard time finding enough cards in graveyard to support 3 big delve creatures + tarmo + azcanta so I would suggest trying to cut Tasigur, the Golden Fang to Scavenging Ooze
- This may be only personal preference but I don't like Pernicious Deed in sultai for some reason and I would suggest giving change to Courser of Kruphix or Spellseeker
- For your manabase I would suggest adding more colored lands like fast lands Blooming Marsh Botanical Sanctum Darkslick Shores and cutting Volrath's Stronghold , Temple of Mystery and then either one of these Bojuka Bog or Sunken Hollow and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for Tectonic Edge . Personally I wouldn't even play Field of Ruin but it can fix and is good enough
- I wouldn't add Coiling Oracle any more because Modern Horizons is bringing us Ice-Fang Coatl that is just sadly supreme version of Oracle (crying because it is my pet card)
- Sakura-Tribe Elder , Shriekmaw and Recurring Nightmare are more rock like strategy and don't fit in + Nightmare is shit if you don't have enough creatures
- I would suggest to test Glen Elendra Archmage and Catacomb Sifter depending what your meta is like. Oh and Eldritch Evolution is extremely powerful card but I am not sure of it because you don't have as many creatures.
Otherwise your deck seems solid more controlling sultai that will win games.
I hope that I answered your question well enough. Also remember that these are just suggestions and not absolute do things and some cards may be better in different meta games.
8 months ago
10 months ago
Good stuff! So actually one of the great things about playing mono color decks is that you can stuff in a bunch of utility lands, because in early game you only have one two drop with 2 colored symbols, and in late game you usually don't need more than like 4 or 5 colored mana symbols. You're probably fine with your lands as is right now, but just check by play testing of course.
Steelshaper's Gift is definitely a stronger option, and you've got a nice few pieces equipment to find with it. I also agree with your decision to put in Coercive Portal , it seems to fit pretty well with your deck.
Like I said earlier, your sideboard is full of great options. The reanimator cards, removal spells, Pristine Talisman , and Authority of the Consuls are all excellent. Or if you do want to splurge on the more expensive cards, you can try replacing some of the other expensive ones that you have in your deck. For example, I personally would rather an Archangel of Thune than Runed Halo and Kor Haven . Additionally, I don't find tutors to be enjoyable to play with, and it will definitely save money, but I'm in the minority on that. But selling or trading might take some time and effort and I can definitely understand not wanting to.
The deck looks awesome now, I think I'd have a lot of fun playing with and against it. Glad to see how much it's improved, keep up the great work!