|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Hydra
: Monstrosity X.(If this creature isn't monstrous, put X +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
When Hydra Broodmaster becomes monstrous, put X X/X green Hydra creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||mcstang1986 , gildan_bladeborn , bradyofportdetroit , Tribor , Swamy , Tiddilywinkus , golgarigirl , the.beanpole , pskinn01 , Grantley91 , GoldGhost012|
Hydra Broodmaster Discussion
6 days ago
Now this is a cool list! Exactly my cup of tea; unique underplayed commander, +1/+1 counter shenanigans and tokens for days!
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood is a great utility land that strengthens each of your tokens; very relevant if Ulasht is about to die and you just need to pump out a bunch of Saprolings.
Hooded Hydra is great because you can play it face down early on and play mind games with your opponent, then later flip it to generate a bunch of Snake tokens. Excellent card to stack counters on.
Since your commander cares so much about having a bunch of creatures on the board, Xenagos, the Reveler seems like the perfect planeswalker that'll ramp you out for a bunch, and generate multicolored tokens that'll count double for Ulasht.
1 week ago
1 week ago
- Baru, Fist of Krosa - (Weak effect that can be achieved through Paragon of Eternal Wilds, Gaea's Anthem, Hall of Triumph or Caged Sun. I'm not telling you to trade him for any of those cards, though)
- Nylea's Disciple - (meh)
- Oran-Rief Hydra - Too slow
- Rampaging Baloths - Too slow
- Solemn Simulacrum - Not needed. The only situation it'd be useful would be if you have Birthing Pod hanging around.
- Tireless Tracker - (weak in EDH)
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (too slow for Selvala)
- Lightning Greaves (meh. As suggested bellow, Thousand-Year Elixir would be better most of the times)
- Gravity Well (Check my Utility Section)
- Back to Nature and Creeping Corrosion aren't needed. This is a fast deck and your opponent's probably won't have time to build a board big enough for you to need it. You already have Bane of Progress and Wave of Vitriol, there's no need for those.
- The Great Aurora - Works wonders with token-based decks. Not so good in here, even if it's a boardwipe of sorts
- Elemental Bond can be replaced by Garruk's Packleader
- Primeval Bounty is good, but I would make room for some of my suggestions.
Get Selvala online as soon as possible (T2):
- Sword of the Paruns - (You just need a creature with power 4 or greater and you have infinte mana. Same goes with Umbral Mantle)
- Great Oak Guardian - (it might also work as a finisher)
- Wirewood Lodge - (a must have)
- Thousand-Year Elixir - pseudo-haste and neat untapping
- Seeker of Skybreak, Quirion Ranger or Scryb Ranger.
- Quest for Renewal for the extra mana every turn.
- Genesis Wave - Also ramps
- Genesis Hydra - Doesn't ramp, but gives you a body
- Nessian Game Warden - Nets you an extra creature
- Fierce Empath - Tutors your big guns.
- Wild Pair - 2 for 1 most of your creatures.
- Woodland Bellower - Does not get legendary creatures, but it should be ok.
- Boundless Realms - Getting rid of the lands in the deck so you can draw better stuff.
- Pathbreaker Ibex
- Overwhelming Stampede
- Dragon Throne of Tarkir
- If you have access to infinte mana Walking Ballista or its cousin Goblin Cannon (yes, you can activate it multiple times before it explodes)
- Silklash Spider
- Glissa Sunseeker
- Newly Spoiled Sandwurm Convergence
- Mosswort Bridge
- Abundance (prevents you from losing to mill and also makes sure you'll never be mana flooded or mana screwed)
- Primal Surge might be fun, but would require you to tone down on instant/sorceries
2 weeks ago
Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix to flood extra mana into your mana pool for your commander to store, Blue Sun's Zenith and Stroke of Genius as outlets for all that extra mana you've been harboring, Doubling Cube for creating absolutely absurd amounts of floating mana, and Hydra Broodmaster as the biggest of wincons utilizing insane amounts of mana.
2 weeks ago
Wow, finally something I can actually help with! :P
First off, I strongly recommend Karametra's Acolyte. It costs 4, but it can give you ridiculous amounts of mana very early on.
Genesis Wave is a nice finisher, basically allowing you to play your deck. To do this, you could use some Omnath, Locus of Manas and some Doubling Cubes. This allows you have have exponentially increasing mana, and then genesis wave your deck early game.
For big creatures, Hydra Broodmaster is another good mana sink, and can give you very strong tokens (and a lot of them). Pelakka Wurm is nice too, with the 7 life gain to help you stay alive.
Lands: You don't need that Fertile Thicket. A ramp deck has no place for a tapped land. However, you would benefit hugely from two or three copies of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. It can give you huge mana profit.For buff spells, Overwhelming Stampede is much better than overrun, and pairs extremely well with Aspect of Hydra, a great buff spell for 1.
Now, cards you should take out:All your land searching cards are less than optimal. There are some good ones, but it's better to just play more mana dorks. However, you are using a lot of bad mana dorks that you should take out (like Leaf Gilder). Ulvenwald Hydra isn't good for you because a lot of your mana will be from dorks instead of lands. I'm not sure why you have a Watcher in the Web, but I think that Fog would actually be better. Most of your medium creatures don't need to be there, and take out Groundskeeper. Nobody destroys lands.
Hope I helped! I'm willing to answer questions if you reply.
2 weeks ago
Also, forget about adding in black cards, or white cards. Who needs Rest in Peace or Dismember when you can splash for blue, which opens up the combo of Island + Storm Crow. How could you possibly pass up such a great win-con?
Also also, elves and you're not running Hydra Broodmaster or any of the other hydras? WHO ARE YOU?
3 weeks ago
Hydra Broodmaster is always funny at the end of the game when you have a bunch of mana, and Managorger Hydra is a major annoyance in casual games because he punishes your opponent for doing anything. I also agree with the point about mana ramp: Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, and Rampant Growth are all super cheap cards that can help you get out your big creatures faster. (Speaking of big creatures, Terra Stomper is a very solid big green monster :D)
3 weeks ago
Hey, there! To add more consistency to your deck, I'd recommend running fewer 1- and 2-ofs, and more 3- and 4-ofs. Stronger mana fixing is also recommended. I'd make the following changes:
- -2 Scourge of Skola Vale
- -1 Polukranos, World Eater
- -1 Death's Presence
- -1 Bow of Nylea
- -1 Inspiring Call
- -1 Genesis Hydra
- -1 Rampaging Baloths
- -1 Tuskguard Captain
- -2 Sylvan Ranger
- -1 Gyre Sage
- -1 Hydra Broodmaster
- -1 Heroes' Bane
- -2 Swamp
- -2 Forest
- +1 Scute Mob
- +3 Experiment One
- +3 Vinelasher Kudzu
- +2 Deadbridge Goliath
- +2 Renegade Krasis
- +3 Mistcutter Hydra
- +4 Jungle Hollow