|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Demon
When Rune-Scarred Demon enters the battlefield, search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Rune-Scarred Demon Discussion
1 day ago
Hey, you're welcome. Thanks for the credit in the description, but you didn't need to do that. This is your deck after all and you had all the cards for the combos already. Just was missing some explanations about the combos which hopefully I helped with.
I do like the interaction of Divine Visitation and Teysa's ability to repeatedly create tokens. The main problem with Visitation is it's a five drop that doesn't do anything when you first cast it and it's not a creature so you can't cheat it with reanimation. I tend not to play high mana cost cards like this. For example instead of playing Visitation I would play Luminarch Ascension which is a powerful card for Angels in multiplayer Commander and is a two drop.
I didn't think of Rest in Peace when I saw the Felidar + Restoration combo in your deck, but good thinking it's a combo that can get around Rest. Keep it if Rest is a problem in your meta. Enlightened Ascetic is an option that's a creature for hate against Rest. You want the ETB trigger because Rest doesn't stop that. If you keep the Felidar + Restoration combo then I would cut Teysa/Elenda or vice versa. Simply because this is too many four drops. Just like Victimize can enable a Guide + Lark combo it can also enabler Felidar + Restoration combo which is helpful. I think overall Felidar + Restoration is more powerful than Teysa/Elenda.
I don't think Rune-Scarred Demon is needed because you already have Razaketh. Rune-Scarred is a budget alternative for Razaketh.
1 day ago
2 days ago
REMOVE: Memory Plunder , 2 lands, Sword of the Animist , Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon , Rune-Scarred Demon , Marang River Prowler , Temporal Trespass , Jace, Unraveler of Secrets , Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver , Mask of Riddles , Necropolis Regent , Urgoros, the Empty One , Etrata, the Silencer , Drowned Secrets , Notion Rain , Benthic Infiltrator
2 days ago
3 days ago
tgood4 I’ve actually ran all those in previous iterations of this deck.
Secret Salvage is lovely, but the last I used it, let’s just say there were lots of issues. Maybe I give it another shot as I always thought of it as a second Thrumming Stone and that was an older build.
Gray Merchant of Asphodel was removed only on the basis that it’s a one time shot with no real chance for recurrence in this build. Everyone will pay the 3 life to Athreos to prevent him from hitting again regardless of how much they already lost. Servitude and Salvage are also not warranted to use on him.
3 days ago
Thanks for following up so fast. Nice to see your thought process.
- For me the copy package is a great asset in this list. Stealing is not strictly better imo, as copying has way more versatility than stealing does. I have won several times casting a kicked Rite of Replication on something like Kokusho. And even just copying Gary once or twice can just get you the victory. This is why I run more expensive ETB creatures like the primordial, Noxious gearhulk and Rune-Scarred Demon , since I will rarely get their effect only once. Either recurring them or coping them can generate a lot of value.
- Bolas's Citadel has been great in this deck so far, as I can steal a lot of life quite reliably with all the copy and recursion stuff going on + Gary and Kokusho. I disagree it is only good with low cmc cards. Plus it turns into a Yawgmoth's Bargain with Top. However, I agree it is probably more fitting in other decks. Still, if I'd cut it I would then replace it with another draw spell, and not something from your list of tips :|.
- Trinket mage is here mainly as a second Top for the synergy with Citadel, but can also fetch artifact lands or sol ring, so doubles as ramp or a land. I would cut this together with Citadel if I would ever cut that card.
- I see your point regarding Steal Artifact vs Acquire . Will give that some consideration.
- I put in Personal tutor because I needed my vamp tutor for another deck :). I agree it is relatively slow and could easily be cut.
- Of course there will be scenario's possible where Steal Enchantment is the winning play, but that's quite meta-dependant. And it is still more narrow than for example Mirrormade . Again, I prefer options over efficiency in this build.
- You make me at least wanna try out memory plunder, so I will put that on my maybe list :).
- I'm not sure I want to take the deck in the direction of bigger mana rocks and more expensive spells. It could synergize well with the copy-artifacts cards, so I will also take that tip into consideration. It might be a fun direction to at least try, so I might do that :).
Thanks again for your time! Exchanging thoughts on steal decks always shows me how much cool thing are possible with this archetype. All the possibilities to prevent it from becoming stale!
1 week ago
This is what I think that you can do:
For Big Game Hunter you can cut Terminate . The reason to do this is that you can rehuse the Hunter with Chainer, and Terminate is only an instant. And don't cut Bedevil or Chaos Warp because them can also kill other type of permanents.
I hope this helped you.
2 weeks ago
Risen Reef is a pretty cool option to play, I think. I'd also recommend possibly using Lotus Cobra and Solemn Simulacrum are pretty good ramping creatures, as well, to consider. Noxious Gearhulk has good destroy on entry effects. Also, Ob Nixilus, the Fallen can also become a huge threat given time. Rune-Scarred Demon is a great use for a tutor in the deck. Finally, Azusa, Lost but Seeking , if you're willing to get it, can help ramp like crazy as well.
I hope this helps.
Rune-Scarred Demon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.06%