|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Uncommon|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Uncommon|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Uncommon|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Counter target red or green spell.
6 months ago
This deck would be much cooler if you played some color hate cards like Celestial Purge, Kor Firewalker, Burrenton Forge-Tender, Story Circle, Flashfreeze, etc in the sideboard; that way, if you have a Painter's Servant but don't yet have an Iona out you can name red and gain life or kill any permanent with Celestial Purge.
Perplex seems unnecessary. It doesn't look for any combo pieces, and it's more cost-efficient to play cantrips and other normal card draw spells. Alternatively you could play Muddle the Mixture, which serves as combo protection and a way to get a combo piece. I also don't think the 3 mana counterspells are good enough. Mana Leak and more Remand are better there.
9 months ago
I have a couple of suggestions, having played against modern Merfolk. I like the deck in general, you have the right structure, there are just some card ratios and choices that I disagree with. I’m not sure how low your budget is so you might just want to ignore these.
1: Cursecatcher is played as a 4-of a lot in merfolk
2: Peek is not the best card in merfolk I would reccomend taking out all of them
4: Dismember is useful in merfolk as a 1 mana destroy spell
5: Master of Waves is a good card. However, modern is a turn 3 - turn 4 format, meaning by the time you play master of waves, the game will be close to ending. I would reccomend only running two masters
6: I would reccomend adding 2 harbinger of tides and cutting 2 merfolk tricksters. Also, a good alternative to merfolk trickster is Merrow Reejerey
7: I definitely like Mirror Image as a budget choice for phantasmal
1 year ago
Are there really no better silver bullets that can be put on isochron? It seems like there should be some brutal hate cards that you can play over and over. Maybe Surgical Extraction, Blessed Alliance,Echoing Truth,Flashfreeze,Hurkyl's Recall,Rest for the Weary just beats burn,Shadow of Doubt would be hilarious, Spell Snare, and Valorous Stance? Shadow of Doubt, Surgical, and rest for the weary all seem game winning on a staff.
1 year ago
Running a couple of cycle lands like Desert of the Mindful seems doable -- maybe not necessary, but I'm a big nerd about having do-stuff lands in my decks.
Looks like a fun, fast, budget brew! Cheers
1 year ago
I wouldn't make them tribal decks. I would just pick a "commander" that reflects that colors greatest strengths. You might at well make the format modern as well if its just going to be the set 5 decks.
Here are some Ideas for my commanders and their edicts.
2 years ago
Oops, it had totally went WAY over my head that you weren't playing white!!! Vendilion Clique doesn't need a playset, rather you can get 1 or 2. This card is a lifesaver, trust me! Other burn hate cards include Dragon's Claw, Flashfreeze and counterspells. You beat burn by lifegain in-case you aren't able to counter Skullcrack. Also, with grixis/jund deathshadow dominating the format right now, some hard removal would be good and Doom Blade doesn't work against it.
2 years ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk
2 years ago
No data for this card yet.